• 83 results
#1 Posted by wario1988 (990 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by BumpyBoo (9577 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course he's right. I don't doubt it for a minute.

#3 Posted by hellmouse (99 posts) - - Show Bio

Humanity is doomed either way!!! DOOMED! >:D

#4 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

100% right

#5 Edited by Duncan (11445 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13268 posts) - - Show Bio

ill be dead in less than 100 so, im not sure if i care.

#7 Posted by Bruxae (13984 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the reason we are doomed in the first place, people dont care unless it affects them here and and now.. Fuck our kids.

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13268 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

This is the reason we are doomed in the first place, people dont care unless it affects them here and and now.. Fuck our kids.

F$%^ Yo Kids you mean. im not having any.

#9 Posted by Samimista (20750 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

Of course he's right. I don't doubt it for a minute.

Was just thinking this myself.

#10 Edited by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

Well i can't view the video since it says i'm out of its region ;p

But the way I view it is that it all depends on where humanity is heading and where its focus will be. Right now, it's all about capitalism and the betterment of themselves and people close to them/in the same business. Over the centuries there have been shifts more towards the humanitarian side, although obviously not nearly enough (wellfare, health etc). If we keep heading in the same direction I believe the world will be doomed much faster than the 1000 years he's mentioning. But if we as mankind are able to shift our priorities from ourselves to the people and the world around us, i believe we can overcome. I know many will disagree with me on that, human nature and all that. And perhaps I am a little naieve in that respect (though i prefer to call it optimistic ;p) but I honestly believe humankind can change and prevent this from happening.

Now that doesn't mean we should put all our bets on that, far from it even. I sincerely hope we're smart enough to look beyond what we have. And that we try to colonize other worlds. And i hope we'll be smart enough to learn from the mistakes we've made on this world. Besides what we humans do, we have to look at what the universe does. Comets, global warming, ozon layers, sun flares etc... so many threats. I wish we'd stop looking at threats from 'within' (other countries and people) and start looking at the very real threats from the 'outside' and focus on those. I honestly get annoyed with people saying "Oh well, i won't be around to see it anyway". Maybe you won't but your children will. The people around you, the world around you. I find it incredibly selfish to state such things and it's that mentality what actually holds us back in trying to prevent it.

#11 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (17824 posts) - - Show Bio

..Meh.

#12 Posted by consolemaster001 (5659 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL SEE Y'ALL IN HELL...nah jk

#13 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, if humanity decides to focus completely on fossil fuels and waits until that resources is expended, then yeah, it will only worsen the situation. If we found a suitable replacement that's far cleaner and safer for our environment that won't cause the extinction of essential animals and wildlife, then it might be different. But even then, that's a far stretch and the search for a secondary home wouldn't be a bad idea.

#14 Posted by Bruxae (13984 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Pathethic.

#15 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

He's probably wrong.

#16 Posted by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

He must have been taking about Galactus LOL!

#17 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (25164 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe,maybe not but I'm really hoping the latter.

#18 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13268 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Pathethic.

because im not having kids? or because im not having a fit over something that's going to happen in hundreds of years that i cant stop

#19 Edited by Strider92 (16605 posts) - - Show Bio

pfff i'll be dead by then.....

#20 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: Hey now, let's watch the language!

#21 Edited by Bruxae (13984 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Pathethic.

because im not having kids? or because im not having a fit over something that's going to happen in hundreds of years that i cant stop

No because you're basically saying forget the future generations because im not affected right now, people like that is the reason people still use fossil fuel or cut down the rainforest, because it doesnt do crap now and by the time you DO get affected it will be to late to reverse, but screw that.. You will be dead then, why should humanity survive without you.

Its not about throwing a fit, but stating that you dont care or "F$%^ yo kids" is really extremely selfish and just.. Pathethic.

I mean you took the time to comment wich shows you are not just ignorant but actively being uncaring out of selfishness and your second reply reinforced that impression.

#22 Edited by Bruxae (13984 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm no academic, but that seems to be the prevailing opinion among the intelligentsia.

I realize this sounds pretty selfish, but I can't honestly say I'm overtly-concerned about this. I'll leave the future of humanity to my betters. As for myself, I'd rather focus on the here and now....and probably thank God that I won't be around when the world starts going Mobile Suit Gundam. xD

#24 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: No worries, just remember to keep the language clean in the future :)

#25 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13268 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Pathethic.

No because you're basically saying forget the future generations because im not affected right now, people like that is the reason people still use fossil fuel or cut down the rainforest, because it doesnt do crap now and by the time you DO get affected it will be to late to reverse, but screw that.. You will be dead then, why should humanity survive without you.

Its not about throwing a fit, but stating that you dont care or "F$%^ yo kids" is really extremely selfish and just.. Pathethic.

I mean you took the time to comment wich shows you are not just ignorant but actively being uncaring out of selfishness and your second reply reinforced that impression.

yep. i am being completely selfish. but its hard to feel pity for the spawn of a race that as a whole doesnt deserve to survive and that will beyond a shadow of a doubt destroy every chance that it is given its hard to feel pity for a species that kills , rapes, and tortures its own people simply for a difference of skin color or social status, or pure pleasure. have you ever seen someone you love whose been raped, how its like the very soul has been sucked out of their body? have you ever been abandoned or ignored by someone who claims to love you? its fucking horrifying. and humanity does it to itself and the planet every fucking day. im sorry that i dont meet the standards of the GREAT BRUXAE, CHAMPION OF ALL THAT IS RIGHT AND JUST.

#26 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3532 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude's become completely irrelevant. He may be right, but a non-a**hole would instead try to think of ways we could improve life here, or make life sustainable here.

#27 Posted by BlackReaper (595 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Pathethic.

yep. i am being completely selfish. but its hard to feel pity for the spawn of a race that as a whole doesnt deserve to survive and that will beyond a shadow of a doubt destroy every chance that it is given its hard to feel pity for a species that kills , rapes, and tortures its own people simply for a difference of skin color or social status, or pure pleasure. have you ever seen someone you love whose been raped, how its like the very soul has been sucked out of their body? have you ever been abandoned or ignored by someone who claims to love you? its fucking horrifying. and humanity does it to itself and the planet every fucking day. im sorry that i dont meet the standards of the GREAT BRUXAE, CHAMPION OF ALL THAT IS RIGHT AND JUST.

This argument is so stupid that it's funny.

#28 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13268 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackreaper said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Pathethic.

how is it an arguement. i blatantly stated that i am an indeed being selfish and gave my opinion. but i'm glad you're amused... i guess.....

#30 Posted by Bogey (948 posts) - - Show Bio

Ray Kurzweil should teabag Stephen Hawkings.

#32 Posted by INFINITE_DOOM (265 posts) - - Show Bio

We have exceeded the number of people that the earths natural resources can stably sustained, i doubt that our present society would exist 1000yrs from now students of the human experience would know that we are F@^$d :D

#33 Posted by Bogey (948 posts) - - Show Bio

We have exceeded the number of people that the earths natural resources can stably sustained,

I don't think we have come close to that point at all. Check out the book "Abundance: The future is better than you think." Resources are renewable and energy sources can be unlimited. Just will take time for technology to be utilized for that purpose.

#34 Edited by Bruxae (13984 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackreaper said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Pathethic.

how is it an arguement. i blatantly stated that i am an indeed being selfish and gave my opinion. but i'm glad you're amused... i guess.....

So.. Your argument is that all humans deserve to die because some humans hurt other humans? Ive seen horrible shit and I agree to an extent, but you do realise you are also condemning the victims of the people you hate so much when you judge humanity as a whole? Not only are you condemning the victims and future generations of potentially innocent men, women and children, but also all animal and plant life on this entire planet.. Does nature deserve to die too?

I am far from a champion of right, I can be a real ***** more often then I should, but your argument is flawed.. Surely you see that?

#35 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

he's right (I think), we should find a way to another planet and learn from our mistakes

#36 Posted by Kingjohnrocks (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

This man is a lunatic. The sun isn't going to go out until a few billion years, there are no poll shifts, volcanos are calm. We just need to take care of our enviorment. Once we do that, we're fine.

I can't believe people actually listen to this man.

#37 Posted by INFINITE_DOOM (265 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey said:

@infinite_doom said:

We have exceeded the number of people that the earths natural resources can stably sustained,

I don't think we have come close to that point at all. Check out the book "Abundance: The future is better than you think." Resources are renewable and energy sources can be unlimited. Just will take time for technology to be utilized for that purpose.

What i mean by natural resources is what the earth can produce without human intervention like intensive agriculture. Sure they are renewable but its not that simple when you get politics involved will it be a government run program or private sector and the biggest problem is the distribution of those resources. I will definitely check out the book, yet another book in my must check out list where is the time :l

#38 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13268 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@blackreaper said:
@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Pathethic.

So.. Your argument is that all humans deserve to die because some humans hurt other humans?

all humans hurt others in some way . but no not all of humanity deserves to die, i suppose. just alot of us.

Ive seen horrible shit and I agree to an extent, but you do realise you are also condemning the victims of the people you hate so much when you judge humanity as a whole?

Not only are you condemning the victims and future generations of potentially innocent men, women and children,

lets not exaggerate. im one person. i can not condemn these people on my own. i gave an opinion thats was mainly driven by despair but thats it. If i had the power to decide on my own, id just pick the people who didnt deserve to die and let them live.

but also all animal and plant life on this entire planet.. Does nature deserve to die too?

no, they dont. just another thing humans destroy. i suppose i just assumed things would get better for nature and animals if humans were gone.

I am far from a champion of right, I can be a real ***** more often then I should, but your argument is flawed.. Surely you see that?

yes, i know i was wrong now that ive had time to calm down. and i didnt take the animals and plants into account because without humans, they wouldnt be in trouble. sometimes it just feels like the world is evil with only a few good people in it rather then the other way around and that as long as humanity exists ,evil will too. but ilke i said, i was wrong. im going to go curl up and wish was dead now.

#39 Edited by Bruxae (13984 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: I know how you feel, I feel the same way most of the time.. But im glad you understand what I mean now whether you agree or not!

And im sorry if I got you all worked up, I didnt mean too. Please dont wish you were dead, as cruel as the world can be there is good out there.. You just got to find it, if nothing else create it. :)

#40 Posted by Dabee (2394 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering he is Stephen Hawking, and I am somebody who is not Stephen Hawking, I'm going to avoid disagreeing with him. I mean, Earth is going to be gone at SOME point. Inevitably.

#41 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, agree to a point. But keep in mind he is an old man, more or less stating the obvious. I mean, if we don't keep nukes under watch we can very well blow ourselves up too...

#42 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

He's obviously right.

#43 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

This man is a lunatic. The sun isn't going to go out until a few billion years, there are no poll shifts, volcanos are calm. We just need to take care of our enviorment. Once we do that, we're fine.

I can't believe people actually listen to this man.

Okay Lubricant-Man, sure. The renowned scientist is clearly insane.

#44 Posted by SC (13145 posts) - - Show Bio

Small nitpick but Hawking's is a pretty competent scientist, so when/if he says something like "he thinks" its something different from saying he knows, which means newspaper journalists often get the hell confused and rephrase what he says into "Hawking says we are doomed unless" when actually no. Thinking, knowing, believing and saying are/can very different things. Though similar too depending on context.

Hawking is pretty intelligent, but intelligence is different to success, and he is remarkably more successful than relatively intelligent, which is to say that 1000 years ago many very intelligent and successful people would have made similar statements and who knows World War 3 might erupt in a year rendering their prediction relatively accurate, then again often predictions are by self admittance prone to error and subjectivity. Hence Hawkings phrasing. I mean I think I am going to have pancakes for breakfast tomorrow. Hence if a very intelligent and competent scientists says he thinks, ask why he says he thinks instead of exclaiming that he knows and be weary of journalists and newspapers dumbing down or misrepresenting science and scientists for the sake of sensationalism.

As far as cynicism towards reality? Its understandable, but people are adapted to incline towards that view, traditionally it was a way to ward off complacency which can lead to well, not doing anything, but modern brains have so much more to bear and in some cases burden, can lead to anxiousness and depression, and a deeper cynicism. People have to find ways to reason or motivation (ideally both) past those barriers, and focusing on helping others can be a pretty good way.

#45 Posted by Pyrogram (39459 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

but modern brains have so much more to bear and in some cases burden, can lead to anxiousness and depression, and a deeper cynicism. People have to find ways to reason or motivation (ideally both) past those barriers, and focusing on helping others can be a pretty good way.

Dude this is too true, I always look into cumulative stress and unnatural stressors etc..Very interesting. Like in the past we had to worry about a few key things...Food..Animals and shelter ..water etc..

Now we have all of that +bills+job+education+crime+being told the world will end+ a 100 other things.

It is no surprise so many people suffer from depression, terrible..

#46 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

O NO LETS BUILD SPACE ROCKETS, because clearly Humanity is a beautiful flower that MUST blossom at the expense of our own planet and whatever world we theoretically colonize.

#47 Posted by TheNooseIsLoose (1900 posts) - - Show Bio

The only actually quote from Hawking was "without escaping beyond our fragile planet". I think the media is doing it's usual fear mongering.

#48 Posted by TheNooseIsLoose (1900 posts) - - Show Bio

O NO LETS BUILD SPACE ROCKETS, because clearly Humanity is a beautiful flower that MUST blossom at the expense of our own planet and whatever world we theoretically colonize.

YEAH MMMAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

pppffffftttttt

#49 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

Ain't nothing going to happen to the human race within 1000 years. Unless we have some kind of nuclear war.

#50 Edited by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

Why? So we can force our destructive nature onto other planets and moons?

Earth isn't the problem, it's people. The only way to save our race is to change ourselves drastically.

And the only way to do that... is to get rid of bronies.