Star Trek Diffies Physics

ladymastermind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ladymastermind

So, I was watching the Star Trek a couple of weeks ago with my mom. it got me thinking about the whole warp speed thingy. In the physics world, when an object stops another object will stay in motion. Like when you're in a bus. when the bus is going really fast, then suddenly stops, you lurch forward. So, why is it, when the Enterprise, going hundreds of miles an hour, suddenly stops, Captain Kirk doesn't go flying out the window? It's only logic. Any thoughts?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#1  Edited By RazzaTazz
@ladymastermind: A warp bubble theoretically works by bending space and time around an object which allows the free passage through both fields.  There is therefore no actual velocity.  It is kind of like when you are in a car that is stationary and you see the one next to you moving and yet you think it is you that is moving.  
Avatar image for thenooseisloose
TheNooseIsLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheNooseIsLoose

"The engines don't move the ship at all. The ship stays where it is, and the engines move the universe around it." -Cubert J. Farnsworth

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Aiden Cross

This might be an interesting read if you're into such things :) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2204913/Nasa-breakthrough-suggests-Star-Treks-warp-drives-possible--practical.html

Kovak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kovak

Defies*

@TheNooseIsLoose said:

"The engines don't move the ship at all. The ship stays where it is, and the engines move the universe around it." -Cubert J. Farnsworth

Futurama reference for the win!

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By Dracade102

I figured since it's called "Warp Drive", it bends the universe around it to move a shorter distance that it's actually going.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

It's Science Fiction.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself
Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me correct some things here.

There is such a thing applied in Star Trek called  inertial dampers and artificial gravity that keeps the crew from flying and smashing themselves against the ship's bulkheads. This is applied when the ship is under auxiliary and impulse power. 

But in warp...

@ladymastermind:  

RazzaTazz already explains:
@ladymastermind: A warp bubble theoretically works by bending space and time around an object which allows the free passage through both fields.  

There is therefore no actual velocity

.  It is kind of like when you are in a car that is stationary and you see the one next to you moving and yet you think it is you that is moving.