Posted by Paracelsus (1471 posts) - - Show Bio

i admit that I'm not a big fan of  African American actress Stacey Dash,( OR of Mitt Romney for that matter!) but I must say i was mildly puzzled and more than  a little disturbed by the widespread attacks on her  for declaring her support for Mitt Romney via Twitter( yes white actors and actresses like James Woods, Gary Sinise, Patricia heaton and Angie Harmon will probably support Romney anyway, but they're WHITE, Dash is -or was- a"sista", expected to support the "brother" in the White House- rapper Snoop Doggy Dogg and actor Samuel L.Jackson- who recently starred in a video telling prospective Obama voters to "wake the f---k up!!"-have already announced their support for the sitting President , presumably if not on partisan grounds then at least on purely racial ones. Dash's support for Romney amounts to virtual racial treason- according to this line of view.
One need not agree with Ms Dash's views any more than we would with Romney's or the other celebss, to be fair, to be profoundly uncomfortable with this "one size fits all" line of thinking- ALL blacks or women MUST support liberal Democrats or feminists or be denounced as "Oreos" "Uncle Toms" " intellectual Stepin Fetchits" "gender quislings" "traitoresses"( as both Heaton and harmon have reported, much to their surprise and distress, being so criticized by people whom they thought were their friends). A previous post  of mine asked why there were so few conservatives in academe, esp in tenured positions? perhaps i should have asked why there are so few black conservatives.

Personally I am much like an apocryphal saying of Voltaire- I disagree with Ms Dash's views but will defend to my dying breath her right to ideological unorthodoxy as much as I do Woods's, Sinise's Heaton's or Harmon's- too insist that ALL blacks or women MUST to an ideological party line is their height of racism or sexism!

Anybody else think as I do?

Terry

#1 Posted by PowerHerc (80827 posts) - - Show Bio

Stacey Dash can endorse whomever she chooses. As an American citizen, she has the right to vote and free will to pick the candidate she prefers.

Believing she must vote for President Obama because they're both black is seriously flawed thinking. It's the same as saying white people must vote for Romney because he's white. If all white people had done that in 2008, Barrack Obama wouldn't have been elected. A candidate's race should not be anywhere close to the determining factor when deciding whom to vote for. Voting for a candidate based on his/her race is racist.

#2 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19892 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Stacey Dash can endorse whomever she chooses. As an American citizen, she has the right to vote and free will to pick the candidate she prefers.

Believing she must vote for President Obama because they're both black is seriously flawed thinking. It's the same as saying white people must vote for Romney because he's white. If all white people had done that in 2008, Barrack Obama wouldn't have been elected. A candidate's race should not be anywhere close to the determining factor when deciding whom to vote for. Voting for a candidate based on his/her race is racist.

This.

#3 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

The Twitter reactions were sickening. They're the "sellouts". Its hard to argue against bigotry and race lumping when black people are doing the exact same thing, but to eachother.

#4 Posted by YoungJustice (6654 posts) - - Show Bio

She isn't a sellout because she supports Romney, she is a sellout because she was on The Game.

#5 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

How many people "attacked" her?

#6 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

She isn't a sellout because she supports Romney, she is a sellout because she was on The Game.

Wahahaha! So true... But this pic made me forgive her...

#7 Posted by _Black (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

I applaud Dash for actually having an opinion. I can't tell you how many people I know voted for/against Obama just because he was "black".

#8 Posted by King Saturn (223744 posts) - - Show Bio
Stacey Dash can support whoever she wants to... it's not like there is much difference anyways.... one guy is a rich white guy who will say anything or act anyway he can to be president... the other guy is what seems to appear as a black man but has the mentality of white man who claims to really care about "the people" but has very little to show for it so far. 
#9 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5218 posts) - - Show Bio

With this line of thinking we should all stop watching every show, reading any book, and basically supporting all things not related to our respective races. That being said, fuk what they talking bout, I'ma vote for who I want, which is no one this time around.

#10 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

As was already said by a lot of people here, she has the right to choose who she supports. And it's not like she chose Jefferson Davis over Martin Luther King Jr.

#11 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

This.

#12 Edited by NlGHTCRAWLER (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

everything I feel has pretty much been said.

Except for the fact that I understand only 80% of what the OP ever says.

#13 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

There are some people out there who act completely ignorant and narrow-minded on the internet? 

Whoa, I'm shocked.

Staff
#14 Posted by Serinah_Pao (521 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to chill and back off. People are aloud to have their own opinions. I always voice mine, regardless to how popular they may, or may not be. For an example. I am a lesbian, but I do not allow the fact that I am a part of the gay community effect my political standing. Social issues take a back seat to the more important issues IMHO. I don't always vote Democrat just because I am gay, I honestly think that narrow minded way of thinking is like that of a lesser creature. I am a proud intelligent woman first and foremost. I am actually leaning towards Mitt Romney myself thus far, because I feel it is the best thing to do for the country as of right now. And that will always take precedence over my social lifestyle. I think anything less is both selfish, and irresponsible.

#15 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

She's clueless.

#16 Edited by Vaeternus (9407 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I agree, great point. I'm sure from what I've read black celebs get most attacked for being for Romney or let's just say not for Obama...I know Condel Rice gets a lot of flack, while she's in politics still. Nobody should be attacked for being for a candidate physically, it's not right. You want to disagree with someone, fine but no need for direct violence.

I give her props for not being mainstream like tools like Jay-Z who openly admitted in interviews that he's voting for Obama because "he's black" like what? ok...not his policies? what someone stands for but due to skin tone? Then again, nobody ever said rappers have the highest I.Q. so lol now this guy is clueless...

P.S. not knocking people for the left or right but just pointing out, if you vote for somone or against due to race, color you are beyond ignorant.

http://www.reagancoalition.com/articles/2012/20121001005-jay-z.html

http://hashonomy.com/link/video-jay-z-admits-hes-voting-obama-because-hes-black-654736/

@Serinah_Pao said:

They need to chill and back off. People are aloud to have their own opinions. I always voice mine, regardless to how popular they may, or may not be. For an example. I am a lesbian, but I do not allow the fact that I am a part of the gay community effect my political standing. Social issues take a back seat to the more important issues IMHO. I don't always vote Democrat just because I am gay, I honestly think that narrow minded way of thinking is like that of a lesser creature. I am a proud intelligent woman first and foremost. I am actually leaning towards Mitt Romney myself thus far, because I feel it is the best thing to do for the country as of right now. And that will always take precedence over my social lifestyle. I think anything less is both selfish, and irresponsible.

Well said miss. I feel the same way about another topic abortion, while I'm against it and those regardless of party(being as how I was given up at birth for adoption as oppose to being aborted) there are larger things right now that are more important then that and gay marriage, social issues.

While I'm conservative, that doesn't mean I'm for every "republican" It's funny because the women vote has gone more towards Romney and Obama losing female voters, so some people go nuts about it and hate like this person did to Miss Dash, it's not right. Disagree with someone all you want, but attacking them is too much.....

I had a gay friend(still have a few I don't discriminate) that stopped talking to me because I told him I wasn't a democrat, so he came at me with" omg so you're a righty, you people hate gays, want to take away our rights, this and that" I'm like dude, calm down, first of all it's my opinion and secondary a lot of how I feel has to do with religious beliefs. While I'm not going to promote gay marriage, I also don't care if it gets passed in every state. I'm not going to spend hours in the rain protesting against it. In the grand scheme of things, these lesser issues aren't as important as the economy, jobs, foodstamp %, healthcare etc. I agree.