• 52 results
#1 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Many people for some reason think that Spiderman has some awesome rogues gallery, when really, most of the well known ones are walking gimmicks. The only Spiderman villains with any real depth are Green Goblin, (to a small extent) Doc Ock, Venom, Carnage, Lizard, and Kraven. The rest are usually just weird dudes in dumb costumes, like Electro.

#2 Edited by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandman was a great character untill they did the whole brainwash to turn him into a villan again thing. Kingpin is also pretty good.

Shocker has also had intresting moments and potential.

Although I think the most overrated rouges gallery is Batmans tbh.

#3 Edited by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx: the joker is literally just a clown with a knife

#4 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Edited by Farkam (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

Many people for some reason think that Spiderman has some awesome rogues gallery, when really, most of the well known ones are walking gimmicks. The only Spiderman villains with any real depth are Green Goblin, (to a small extent) Doc Ock, Venom, Carnage, Lizard, and Kraven. The rest are usually just weird dudes in dumb costumes, like Electro.

But that's the fun of them.

#6 Posted by The Stegman (24391 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them, it's such a variety of interesting characters. He has the best rogues in the Marvel Universe easily.

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13149 posts) - - Show Bio

Carnage has depth?

#8 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by The Stegman (24391 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: Yes, better than Magneto and Apocalypse, who are the only X villains I care for.

#10 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: lol wut carnage has depth? you clearly dont read spiderman. but you just named 6 characters you thought were good now go to every other comic book series and try to find 6 villains with depth its hard. like superman you got darkseid luthor brainiac and idk zod thats 4 now xmen you got magneto appocalypse mr sinister and sentinels and like purifiers thats 5 for a whole team. now how bout captain america you got zemo red skull and thats about it. lol flash you got reverse flash and what vandal savage. other than ones you named spidey also has jackal prowler mr negative is great vultures cool you got alistair smythe and many many goblins. so yeah spideys may be overated but im guessing your overrating everyone elses. seriously carnage depth lmao

#11 Edited by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigtewell: Vandal Savage isn't a Flash villain also Flash has the entire Rogues all of them have more depth than regular comic book bad guys

#13 Posted by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx: the joker is literally just a clown with a knife

joker is just a clown with a knife? wow just wow...

#14 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

With that attitude, you can do that with literally any character. Joker is a clown with a knife. Magneto is some guy with magnets in his hands. Venom is a knockoff Spider Man with sharp teeth. Lex Luthor is an evil rich guy.

Comic book writers have spent decades adding a history and personality to these characters, and its kind of insulting that you try and simplify it to what you see on the surface. Are there characters less developed than others? Absolutely. That is true with any form of storytelling though. If you cant find depth in a character like Joker or Green Goblin, you should probably go back and read a little harder.

#15 Edited by superstay (9814 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: Do X-Men have a rouges gallery?

@shadowx: Take it back, LOL

I like Spider-Man's....I mean, no one has a rouges gallery that's perfect. They all have those villains who aren't cool and those who are...The reason that Spider-Man and Batman's are thought so highly of, Is because their have better known villains. Villains that, for the most part, people like or at least would be interested in the hero beating them.

Also, the members of their galleries, fit with one another and the over-all theme of the hero, himself. From the Joker to Killer Croc, Batmans villains are dark and insane to match him; and From Green Goblin to Rhino, Spider-Man villains are colorful and gimmicky to match him.

d^_^b

#16 Posted by Edamame (28157 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I like some of Spider-Man's villains. *shrugs*

Especially Carnage and the Shocker.

#17 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

Wrong, Batman's rogue gallery is far more overrated; they are mostly made up of out and out lunatics with no powers whatsoever and only individual gimmicks separating them. Spider-Man has a more varied range of villains.

#18 Posted by CaptainLantern76 (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Wrong, Batman's rogue gallery is far more overrated; they are mostly made up of out and out lunatics with no powers whatsoever and only individual gimmicks separating them. Spider-Man has a more varied range of villains.

Right...somewhat.

Neither rouge gallery is overrated IMO

#19 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct said:

Right...somewhat.

Well I think like this because if you took all Batman's villains, take out their names, uniforms and gimmicks and had to describe their characters, you find out each single one has a single constant: insanity.

Spider-Mans have more varied range of villains from dual personality (Lizard), sociopathy (Norman Osborn), psychopathy (Green Goblin), alien possession (Venom) and so on. At least in my opinion.

#20 Posted by JohnnyGat (1568 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainlantern76 said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

Right...somewhat.

Well I think like this because if you took all Batman's villains, take out their names, uniforms and gimmicks and had to describe their characters, you find out each single one has a single constant: insanity.

Spider-Mans have more varied range of villains from dual personality (Lizard), sociopathy (Norman Osborn), psychopathy (Green Goblin), alien possession (Venom) and so on. At least in my opinion.

3 of your examples can be used in definition of insanity. Point I'm making you're choosing to view that one constant in Batman villains to make your point while using that same point albeit focusing on the unique parts of that point. Two-Face has dual personality, James Gordon Jr. is a sociopath, and The Joker is a psychopath. If your're going to use examples of varied villains use ones that actually vary because using your examples as I've just written I could focus on the parts that make Batman's villains insane and use them to describe specific differences.

#21 Edited by CaptainLantern76 (553 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainlantern76 said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

Right...somewhat.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I see.

#22 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man has one of the most varied and interesting rogues galleries in comics. There's mostly animal themed guys but then you get the Goblins, the random powered dudes, and then the random inventors.
Any day of the week Spider-Man could be fighting just about anything, which what I considered one of the best parts of his rogues.

#23 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnnygat: Okay maybe not the best comparison but this guy puts it better.

Spider-Man has one of the most varied and interesting rogues galleries in comics. There's mostly animal themed guys but then you get the Goblins, the random powered dudes, and then the random inventors.

Any day of the week Spider-Man could be fighting just about anything, which what I considered one of the best parts of his rogues.

#24 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: joker actually has a good back,story I.e the killing joke and actually has an intention for his killings like he knows itl hurt batman. carnage is just a venom knock off who kills to kill. now im not saying joker has the most depth but most of the time joker stories have more than just senseless killings

#26 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#27 Posted by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man has an awesome rogues gallery

#28 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6338 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Just because Batman's villains do not have super-powers does not mean they are uninteresting characters. Batman does not have powers, if he did his villains might too. In my opinion, Batman's rogue gallery is one of the most interesting in comics. They are not boring to me because they are all insane, in fact it is quite the opposite. Joker's portrayal in The Killing Joke (as he was trying to make everyone just as crazy as he is), Two-Face's entire character being a metaphor for multiple personality disorder, Hugo Strange's obsessions, Scarecrow's need for fear, and nearly every other main Batman villain's various psychotic tendencies are incredibly interesting to me. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I'm just sharing my thoughts.

#29 Edited by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all ,him and Batman probably have the best Rogues in all of comics,thats probably part of the reason why i never get tired of reading their stories, but neither have to many gimmicky foes with the exception of a few, Namely characters like hammer head,the shocker and even though i like the shocker he definitely falls into this category or chracters like the mad hatter or the Penguin,I mean the Penguin just takes the cake, whats more gimmicky then a guy who uses an umbrella as a weapon and has penguin bodyguards. I mean i think he alright, but he definitely shouldn't be one of Batman's most famous villains, but to each is own i guess.

#30 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all ,him and Batman probably have the best Rogues in all of comics, but neither have real gimmicky foes with the exception of a few, Namely characters like hammer had or the Penguin,I mean the Penguin just takes the cake, whats more gimmicky then a guy who uses an umbrella as a weapon and has penguin bodyguards. I mean i think he alright, but he definitely shouldn't be one of Batman's most famous villains, but to each is own i guess.

Penguin is honestly only really well known because of the Adam West TV Show. Same with Riddler. The show brought those two into the spotlight and they've been big timeish villains ever since.

#31 Edited by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: Yea the entire Batman silver age run of comics was full of useless gimmicks.

#32 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by JohnnyGat (1568 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnnygat: Okay maybe not the best comparison but this guy puts it better.

@decoy_elite said:

I'm not arguing about Spiderman's villains being overrated I actually agree with the notion that Spidey's rogues are quite interesting enough and varied enough on their own and are justly rated.

It still doesn't make Batman's villains overrated. If they were villains to Spiderman and given the same praise then maybe, but the thing is Batman's villains work well with Batman. Most of these individuals are powerless including Batman so the focus is less on what they can do but how they do it. Batman does not have super senses enhanced strength or endurance to always deal with his adversaries so part of his character revolves around his thought processes. And that's where his insane rogues shine, they emphasize a certain way of thinking where Batman has to apply his strategy differently.

@rulerofthisuniverse basically makes the same points I would make in regards to the situation.

#35 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not even close. Spiderman has a great rogues gallery, you're just over simplifying his villains. Every rogue gallery has those few characters in colorful costumes with no real depth, but they also have characters with depth as well. You also left off Alistair Smythe, Kingpin, JJJ( to a certain extent), and Morbius.

Anyway, Silver Surfer has has the best rogues gallery ever.....

#36 Edited by nickthedevil (12498 posts) - - Show Bio

The best Rogues Gallery is the Flashes'. Nuff said. Each and every one of them has more depth than anything I've seen for the likes of Spider-man, and arguably, Batman.

#37 Posted by SoA (4838 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd say superman's rogues gallery are overrated , minus any kryptonian (clone, descendent , closer to than not ) and you have lex and braniac . two dudes a gallery does not make. sure ik somebody is going to say but what about _____? be honest that guy/gal is lame . lol

#38 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@soa said:

i'd say superman's rogues gallery are overrated , minus any kryptonian (clone, descendent , closer to than not ) and you have lex and braniac . two dudes a gallery does not make. sure ik somebody is going to say but what about _____? be honest that guy/gal is lame . lol

Except most people don't talk about what great a rogues gallery he has....

#39 Posted by millennium (208 posts) - - Show Bio

yes spiderman villains are overrated when you have over 150 villains ( ok more like 120 for the 30 villains that are now dead, or turned good, and are no long working) so out of those 120 villains only 10 if that fit as real spiderman villains ( green goblin, hobgoblin, doc ock, the jackal, the lizard, the vulture, scorpion, spider slayer, rhino, & maybe shocker (sorry i ran out of characters that fit who spiderman is) guys like hydro, electro, and sandman are more like hulk style villains while mysterio, kraven and chameleon fit more as a captain america villains and every crime boss and their underlings should be daredevil villains not spiderman villains

#40 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7785 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Spider-Man has a great rogues gallery, just depends on how deep the writers write the villains. Different writers enjoy different villains and spotlight them. That's how guys like Green Goblin and Ock become A-List villains. You see into their minds nearly as much as Spidey's. Some underrated (or rather, underwritten) villains include Electro and (in my opinion) Scorpion and similar likes to them. They are always dummies because no one shows them the dedication to develop them. They don't need to be geniuses but they can be given greater depth. A perfect example was Jack O'Lantern's usage in Venom. The writer took a B, arguably C, list villain and gave him some depth and made him a real threat.

As for Carnage? I feel every hero has the psychopath enemy who lives for nothing more than death and destruction. He doesn't have a lot of "depth" but he is a fun villain.

#41 Posted by CaptainLantern76 (553 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Spider-Man has a great rogues gallery, just depends on how deep the writers write the villains. Different writers enjoy different villains and spotlight them. That's how guys like Green Goblin and Ock become A-List villains. You see into their minds nearly as much as Spidey's. Some underrated (or rather, underwritten) villains include Electro and (in my opinion) Scorpion and similar likes to them. They are always dummies because no one shows them the dedication to develop them. They don't need to be geniuses but they can be given greater depth. A perfect example was Jack O'Lantern's usage in Venom. The writer took a B, arguably C, list villain and gave him some depth and made him a real threat.

As for Carnage? I feel every hero has the psychopath enemy who lives for nothing more than death and destruction. He doesn't have a lot of "depth" but he is a fun villain.

Well said.

#42 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

The rest are usually just weird dudes in dumb costumes, like Electro.

And yet they're the most memorable B-list villains.

Gee, it's almost like...

You're wrong, or something.

#43 Posted by Strider92 (16470 posts) - - Show Bio

Carnage has depth?

Carnage has about as much depth as Charlie Sheen. He's still a cool character but honestly if you were to get inside his head all you'd hear was "Stab, stab, stab, stab; stab, stab, stab, stab"

Anyway no one mentioned here has a particularly overrated Rogues Gallery. Some character have the odd villain who is overrated. In fact in the battle threads on this site Spider-man villains seem to be debated about and used in a very balanced way and don't seem to be overrated at all by anyone. Regardless whenever anyone calls anything "overrated" here I always get the feeling that it is simply a word used in place of "I think they are bad and you should too" and seeing as literally the only argument for why the OP thinks they are "overrated" is because they are "guys in weird suits" simply makes me think this is one of those times because guess what!? 90% of comic characters are guys in weird suits!

#44 Posted by Sky_Pirate2 (67 posts) - - Show Bio

What rogues gallery isn't overrated?

Look at anyone's and you'll find a couple (if any), that's really creme of the crop. Beyond that, there might be a few, who can be interesting, depending on who's writing them. But, outside of that, there aren't much.

#45 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6338 posts) - - Show Bio

@soa: Minus any Kryptonian clones/descents/etc. Superman still has Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Darkseid, Parasite, Metallo, Mongul, Mxyptlk, and several lesser known ones such as The Kryptonite Man, Livewire, The Elite, Bloodsport, Silver Banshee, The Atomic Skull, Toyman, and more. The only ones I can think of that would have been included without that ban is General Zod, Bizarro, Cyborg Superman, and Doomsday.

#46 Posted by cameron83 (7304 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his rogue gallery...

#47 Posted by cameron83 (7304 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33 said:

The rest are usually just weird dudes in dumb costumes, like Electro.

And yet they're the most memorable B-list villains.

Gee, it's almost like...

You're wrong, or something.

#48 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5056 posts) - - Show Bio

The best Rogues gallery in comics besides Batmans.

#49 Posted by SheenLantern (6656 posts) - - Show Bio

The only reason Batman's rogues gallery is still able to eat solid food is because of his morals.

I swear, Batman has such wasted potential, if he stopped being a little b!tch and trained himself to kill and not fight, he would be unstoppable.

#50 Edited by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: name an easIly recognIzable flash,vIllaIn used In the past 5 years that has depth all of hIs storIes start out good but then lead to reverse,flash plannIng all of It