Spec Ops: The Line. Has anyone played it?

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WarBlade539

Spec Ops: The Line is an emotionally charged third-person shooter from Yager Development, Darkside Game Studios and published by 2K Games. It's unlike any shooter out there. Amazing story, great gunplay and game mechanics; this is one shooter which just has to be played. It's multiplayer is nothing to write home about but it has one of the best, if not the best single player I've seen in a shooter for quite some time. Unlike other games of this genre, which removes the player from reality and provides an escapist fantasy which justifies the players actions in the game by saying that it is for the greater good; Spec Ops shows the player just how dirty and just how brutal war is. It's a game that's gonna make you feel like a turd and be heavy on your conscience. Not gonna say anything more...just play the damn thing.

No Caption Provided
TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheSheepHerder

It's one of my favorite games ever. The gameplay mechanics were not really innovative in any way and were very frustrating at times but the plot makes up for it. I haven't seen an FPS/TPS where the protagonist slowly descends into madness and his dialogue slowly shifts from the calm 'Tango down' to virtually cussing every time he reloaded and every time he popped an enemy in the head.

And I've said it before but The Gate was such a messed up chapter.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WarBlade539

@TheSheepHerder said:

It's one of my favorite games ever. The gameplay mechanics were not really innovative in any way and were very frustrating at times but the plot makes up for it. I haven't seen an FPS/TPS where the protagonist slowly descends into madness and his dialogue slowly shifts from the calm 'Tango down' to virtually cussing every time he reloaded and every time he popped an enemy in the head.

I am playing 'The Gate' now. This game literally blew my mind away, man. I can see your point about the mechanics. Sometimes I try to sprint and Walker immediately takes cover. I heard there are 4 different endings and in two of them, Walker dies.

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSheepHerder
I am playing 'The Gate' now. This game literally blew my mind away, man. I can see your point about the mechanics. Sometimes I try to sprint and Walker immediately takes cover. I heard there are 4 different endings and in two of them, Walker dies.

The mortar assault in that chapter seemed like the standard CoD/BF style 'Clear the base' objective but the aftermath of that attack was f^cked up.

There are indeed four endings to the game but what Walker finds out in the end is pretty shocking.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WarBlade539

@TheSheepHerder said:

The mortar assault in that chapter seemed like the standard CoD/BF style 'Clear the base' objective but the aftermath of that attack was f^cked up.

There are indeed four endings to the game but what Walker finds out in the end is pretty shocking.

Yeah. That 416 rifle was awesome. What was your favourite gun in the game?

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheSheepHerder

@darkazrael999 The M4A1 haha. I did enjoy using the SCAR and 416 when there was ammunition available lol

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By TheGoldenOne
I have. It's a pretty good game. Like Sheepie said, the gameplay wasn't anything new or innovative, but it had a really good story and superb voice acting.
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Aiden Cross

I only played the demo, but i wasn't too impressed with the gameplay, but from the sound of it the story is really good then?

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WarBlade539

@TheSheepHerder said:

@darkazrael999 The M4A1 haha. I did enjoy using the SCAR and 416 when there was ammunition available lol

I finished it today. God, I wanted to kick Walker in the nuts when he surrendered instead of fighting alongside Adams. Adams was awesome. The ending was...shocking. The guy was hallucinating, all along. Damn!

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WarBlade539

@Aiden Cross said:

I only played the demo, but i wasn't too impressed with the gameplay, but from the sound of it the story is really good then?

The story is amazing. You will feel like the bad guy after finishing it. This game perfectly shows why war is hell.

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheSheepHerder

@darkazrael999 You might want to put a spoiler in that post lol

Yeah finding Konrad dead in that chair and Walker's 'conversations' with Konrad were all in his head made me go "What the f^ck no that did not just happen"

I turned the gun on Walker during the confrontation with Konrad. It felt like a fitting end to all the sh^t he caused in Dubai. I did try the alternate ends of joining/killing/getting killed by the troops later on but Walker shooting himself on the top of the Burj to me was the best ending out of them all.

And also the loading screens that slowly change from helpful hints to "This is all your fault." was a nice touch.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WarBlade539

@TheSheepHerder: Do you think that they should make a sequel to Spec Ops?

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheSheepHerder

@darkazrael999 Walker's story is done. I can't really see 2K continuing the plot of The Line. It'll be interesting whether 2K will take Spec Ops back to tactical shooting or bring out another gritty war story.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@darkazrael999

@TheSheepHerder said:

Actually there is some stuff throughout the game you might not have noticed that will change your mind about what you think is happning through the whole game
TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheSheepHerder
Actually there is some stuff throughout the game you might not have noticed that will change your mind about what you think is happning through the whole game

I haven't collected all of the intel in the game but I did find some of the tapes early in the game (Like the last airline flying out of Dubai) and the Radioman's interview with Konrad and the politician to be quite interesting. The graffiti also shifts as you go through the game and I thought that was a nice touch. There's little bits of info hidden in every level and that makes me want to go through the whole game again haha.

Also some of the Radioman's chatter was pretty funny lol.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By ReVamp

I played the Demo, loved the Dialogue.