Some Advice Please?

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By moviegeek17

This is an incredibly off topic blog but i figured this would be the best place for me to ask this question since it's safe to assume we all have our geekdom in common. I'll be sure to make this one short and sweet if possible.

So anyway here it goes, probably the only downside that comes with being a geek is that it definitely isn't on the college girl's most i sought after characteristic in a guy, especially when a guy like myself is so heavily invested in comic books, film and writing. I am in no way ashamed of that either, i am happy with who i am and am not willing to compromise myself to fit in with the college crowds (though it does help that i have a really tight group of friends back at home but that is besides the point). But in spite of all of that i continuously have trouble when it comes with women.

It's not that i can't talk to them either, i can usually talk to them without any serious problems but as soon as i like one everything that can seem to go wrong usually does happen and it's really been bugging me that two years into college there hasn't been one girl that would be willing to go out with me for anything much less a date. 

So i figured i'd ask the wonderful people of comic vine if you have any advice to point a hopeless romantic/comic geek from cincy on the right track to help me out with this little problem of my mine.
 Not trying to make this a sob story, i'm just mainly looking for some good advice for a college kid who has no clue what he's doing lol.

Thanks for listening guys!

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CainPanell
@moviegeek17: hey buddy i have a similar problem except girls confide in me for some reason..... do they think i'm gay because i haven't had a girlfriend? and that's why they talk to me?  

good luck buddy
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

I think... there is nothing particularly wrong with expanding your interests perhaps? Is that something that is feasible? A writing (different to whatever writing your doing) or art class? Life drawing? Something musical? Sporty? Foreign language? Volunteer work? Environment, animals? Poetry? Just something that means your opening yourself up to and for experiencing different groups of people? (plus something you can also enjoy sincerely) Don't trade away your confidence in being secure in knowing what you like and not wishing to compromise by doing that whole conformity thing, Plus sticking out is good. 

I think if you have good friends at home, that's like a bonus? I mean, you don't really have to fear or care about being turned down? I mean a little bit still, but shrugging and smiling and trying again can't hurt can it?  

Good luck in any case. 

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Have a gym membership?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@moviegeek17: as a fellow nerd here's my advice, i think i can speak for most when i say the best relationships usually form when the two people have something in common, thus you simply have to find someone who shares common interests as you, if you see a nice young lass reading a book (comic or otherwise) that you also like go up and strike a conversation based around that similar interest, go to places YOU like to go, if you see someone there, that means she is probably there because she likes whats inside, whether its a comicbook store, video store, arcade, whatever it may be, it's always easier to talk to a girl when you have something to talk about then going up to a stranger and trying to break the ice.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

Avoid dating. However, a clever wardrobe and reserving yourself never hurts. Carry a lighter in case a girl smokes.

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By moviegeek17
@The Stegman
That is a good point, though i don't think i've had the luck of finding a girl my age around my favorite places. though i think that plays into my general bad luck in this field. but that's probably just me overthinking things. thanks for the advice man
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@moviegeek17: no problem, and good luck!
Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hawk

Here is my best advice:
You become an "actor" You play a character who is confident, out going, and funny.  Clean shaven, well groomed, and in shape (work on this if you need)
You put on this "mask" and forget bars and clubs. Find girls with similar friends. Make connections that way with people who can vouch that you are a good guy. Make friends with girls.....don't worry about finding a GF just make connections.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#9  Edited By RazzaTazz

Coming at this from the opposite side of the aisle, I can say that I wouldn't want to be a guy as it seems like so much pressure to be the one that has to try to find the right girl and then ask her out.  It assumes that you have an absolute idea of what is best for you without having the experience to back it up.  That having been said there are girls out there who are in the same situation except they feel as though they are powerless as they cannot be the ones doing the asking.  I think SC has the best concept here, exapnding your interests and giving yourself more depth while exposing yourself to more people.  Having more interests doesn't have to mean having to give up on your old ones.  For instance a study of fabricated fictional languages would expose you to a bunch of linguists, and most are not concerned if you are studying ancient Greek or Na'vi.  This can be applied to lots of stuff, a love of sci-fi can be transferred to astronomy, martial arts movies transfers to taking martial arts classes.  Also take some solace in the fact that there is a girl out there for you though, because really there is.  jsut don't abandon who you are and be confident in that. 
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Aiden Cross

This might be a silly question but i haven't noticed it in your post. Have you actually asked a girl out or just trying to be friends and get a date this way?

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By cyberninja

Who cares, just be yourself. 

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Larkin1388

When me and my fiance met I told her she had to answer and important question before we continued dating. "Marvel or DC?". She answered correctly lol.

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By GrandSymbiote94
@cyberninja said:
Who cares, just be yourself. 
QFT
dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dondasch

There's nothing wrong with you or your approach.  Live your life as you want it and, frankly, if someone is meant to meet you, it will happen.  Life is far too short to be forcing issues.