#201 Edited by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

The ACA has stood up to all scrutiny. Mitt ran on its repeal and lost. The Supreme Court ruled in its favor and hundreds of votes held to repeal it have gone no where.

The American people despite having an unfavorable view of the law have objected to the methods made by one party to kill it according to polls. And public blame for this shut down falling on the heads of the GOP as the previous one during Clinton. The irony this shutdown will be with little punity as the GOP's gerrymandering across the country has them hold the House regardless. Even with a million more votes on the Democrat side the housed remained theirs because of these district lines.

The blame falls squarely on the GOP. Extortion is no way to govern; they were warned prior that their attempts to circumvent the law would go nowhere in the Senate and if it did by some miracle make it past there the President wouldn't have allowed his signature legislation to go anywhere and would have vetoed it.

And a special FU to Ted Cruz for squandering the time to debate the issue, leading his party into this hole with no plan as he stuffs his coffers with the donations from dimwit followers.

I like the Lincoln mention here as a better President than Barack with better policies. Lincoln's policy divided the country in two and landed it in a bloody civil war.

#202 Posted by explodingpineapple (837 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me guess everyone is going to blame Bush. Move on people.

#203 Edited by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@explodingpineapple: Nope, we're just going to blame his party for pandering to extremists and shutting the government down. All over a fight they can't win; having lost in every opportunity to take down the ACA without resorting to economic terrorism / extortion of the global economy as they rob their supporters blind.

#204 Posted by WillPayton (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

The ACA has stood up to all scrutiny. Mitt ran on its repeal and lost. The Supreme Court ruled in its favor and hundreds of votes held to repeal it have gone no where.

The American people despite having an unfavorable view of the law have objected to the methods made by one party to kill it according to polls. And public blame for this shut down falling on the heads of the GOP as the previous one during Clinton. The irony this shutdown will be with little punity as the GOP's gerrymandering across the country has them hold the House regardless. Even with a million more votes on the Democrat side the housed remained theirs because of these district lines.

The blame falls squarely on the GOP. Extortion is no way to govern; they were warned prior that their attempts to circumvent the law would go nowhere in the Senate and if it did by some miracle make it past there the President wouldn't have allowed his signature legislation to go anywhere and would have vetoed it.

And a special FU to Ted Cruz for squandering the time to debate the issue, leading his party into this hole with no plan as he stuffs his coffers with the donations from dimwit followers.

I like the Lincoln mention here as a better President than Barack with better policies. Lincoln's policy divided the country in two and landed it in a bloody civil war.

Well said, I agree 100%.

And yes, the truly sad thing here is that no matter what happens, the Republicans have gerrymandered themselves into safe seats, which is why they dont care what happens to 800,000 government employees or the economy, as long as they dont get primaried and as long as they continue to pander to their right-wing base.

#205 Posted by WillPayton (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I blame the Tea Party and the weak Republican leadership in the House. Boehner could call for a vote and if he gets the Republicans that support passing a clean CR (Continuing Resolution) along with Democrats, it can happen. But, he's terrified of the Tea Party and the wrath of the crazy right-wing side of his party. These are the same people who think Global Warming is a hoax and Evolution is a conspiracy by scientists because they hate Jesus.

I'm tired of the government being hijacked by the Stupid Party.

#206 Posted by Gambit474 (1460 posts) - - Show Bio

It also freed the slaves which you coincidentally forgot to mention

#207 Posted by adman123 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Man I really didn't think they were dumb enough to shut down the government......

Me neither. But that's the Republican party. If they can't have their way the throw a fit like a child, to make sure nobody gets their way.

#208 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Bush is not actually at fault for a lot of the hate he gets, I agree. He did make plenty of decisions I didn't agree with, but that's politics.

#209 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Let the debate begin!

Tastes great! Less filling! Tastes great!

#210 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: @willpayton: Yep and undermines the governments ability to function when these folks only have to answer to one crowd that wants them as far right possible. Compromise becomes a bad word that could kick them from their seat.

To other guy - Lincoln did 'free' African Americans from slavery - albeit to another century of abusive government policy that undermined them as human beings - but no longer slaves and that took a degree of conviction that few Presidents have ever mustered in office. My point was to folks that seemed inclined to forget President Lincoln's policies tore the country apart and plunged it into a bloody civil war and insist that somehow President Obamas policy choices are somehow worse than Lincoln's on the country - which just comes off as stupid.

#211 Posted by WillPayton (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: @willpayton: Yep and undermines the governments ability to function when these folks only have to answer to one crowd that wants them as far right possible. Compromise becomes a bad word that could kick them from their seat.

To other guy - Lincoln did 'free' African Americans from slavery - albeit to another century of abusive government policy that undermined them as human beings - but no longer slaves and that took a degree of conviction that few Presidents have ever mustered in office. My point was to folks that seemed inclined to forget President Lincoln's policies tore the country apart and plunged it into a bloody civil war and insist that somehow President Obamas policy choices are somehow worse than Lincoln's on the country - which just comes off as stupid.

It's a good analogy... because Lincoln had to deal with a group of secessionists who were willing to tear apart the country if they didnt get what they wanted. They hated the centralized government. Lincoln would not negotiate with them, even though at first he didnt have a problem with slavery continuing in the South.

Likewise, Obama has to deal with a bunch of people who want unreasonable things, hate the government, and will do anything to get their way even if it tears the country apart. Obama, even though he's notorious for over-compromising during his first term, has said he's not going to negotiate on this issue... nor should he. If you "negotiate" with extortionists, they only come back again more emboldened the next time. In our case, it means that every year when we have to deal with another Continuing Resolution, the Republicans can shut down the government unless they get what they want.

#212 Posted by cameron83 (6742 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@vance_astro said:

I'm starting my own country. New America. There will be freedom fries on caturday!

I'M IN.

Ditto.

#213 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

@isaac_clarke said:

It's a good analogy... because Lincoln had to deal with a group of secessionists who were willing to tear apart the country if they didnt get what they wanted. They hated the centralized government. Lincoln would not negotiate with them, even though at first he didnt have a problem with slavery continuing in the South.

Likewise, Obama has to deal with a bunch of people who want unreasonable things, hate the government, and will do anything to get their way even if it tears the country apart. Obama, even though he's notorious for over-compromising during his first term, has said he's not going to negotiate on this issue... nor should he. If you "negotiate" with extortionists, they only come back again more emboldened the next time. In our case, it means that every year when we have to deal with another Continuing Resolution, the Republicans can shut down the government unless they get what they want.

I am not an Obama fan personally but I agree with all this. There does have to be a point in time where you remember that a majority of the people in this country have spoken. Almost all of Obama's re-election campaign focused on the ACA, Mitt ran on its repeal. Obama won, which would mean the people, or a majority thereof, liked it and agreed. Whether I personally agree or not is irrelevant, but the system is supposed to work on what the majority votes on. The minority can continue to plead their case, but they have to at least give it a chance. If it fails, or people don't like it, they re-vote and see what the majority says. Or at least that's how the system is supposed to work, not throw a temper tantrum.

#214 Posted by WillPayton (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not an Obama fan personally but I agree with all this. There does have to be a point in time where you remember that a majority of the people in this country have spoken. Almost all of Obama's re-election campaign focused on the ACA, Mitt ran on its repeal. Obama won, which would mean the people, or a majority thereof, liked it and agreed. Whether I personally agree or not is irrelevant, but the system is supposed to work on what the majority votes on. The minority can continue to plead their case, but they have to at least give it a chance. If it fails, or people don't like it, they re-vote and see what the majority says. Or at least that's how the system is supposed to work, not throw a temper tantrum.

I think this is the reasonable way to look at it. Whether you like Obama or not. Whether you like the ACA, or not. Obama did run on this and won by a solid margin. The law was passed and even ruled Constitutional. Now it's time to give it a chance. If it works out, awesome! It it sucks, then we can give credit to the Republicans, vote them in, and give their ideas a chance. But, if the law passes and they keep trying to subvert it at every turn (over 40 votes to repeal and defund by now) then they can never show that they were right, because if it's a failure then they made it so. And, they HAVE tried at every turn to destroy Obamacare and make it a failure... from not allowing the Medicaid expansion in GOD-controlled states, to keeping people from learning about how it works, to those offensive and misleading ads that make it seem like Obamacare wants to rape you... it's nothing short of unethical and immoral what they're doing.

#215 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: Said user wasn't trying to be clever - just saying they didn't like Pres. Barack's policy and that somehow Lincoln's was better for the country - ignoring that whole Civil War thing and giving me a historical headache.

#216 Posted by Gambit474 (1460 posts) - - Show Bio

Or people seem to forget that the confederacy was also a bunch of fools. Quite frankly with how the south treated blacks and went about their business back then, a civil war would've probably been inevitable whether it was Lincoln's doing or not. Confederacy got bitchy over losing their slavery

#217 Posted by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

#218 Edited by Nefarious (18861 posts) - - Show Bio

Things just went from bad to worse.

#219 Posted by WillPayton (9192 posts) - - Show Bio
#220 Posted by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

This country needs a major overhaul. Everyone in office needs removed, and lobbying needs to made illegal.

#221 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Obamas approval rating is 37% hes as much to blame as anyone if not more

@gambit474: i agree with you, its funny how people forget that about lincoln..

#222 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10368 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was interesting. If it is indeed true.

#223 Posted by WillPayton (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont see how Obama is as much to blame as the Republicans.

What we have now is a pretty clear case of extortion by a group that mistakenly thought they could use the government closure and debt ceiling as bargaining chips against Obama. They were not only sadly mistaken, but those are not things that one party can use to try to get concessions from another. We're talking about the welfare of the country and world economy, something that the Tea Party doesnt care about.

Fact: Boehner had previously agreed with Sen. Reid in the Senate on a deal to pass a "clean" Continuing Resolution. This deal was actually advantageous to Boehner, since Reid agreed to what Boehner wanted. Then, Boehner reneged on his word and decided that he'd follow Ted Cruz and try to extort defunding Obamacare from the Dems by threat of not funding the government.

Fact: Now the Republicans are accusing the Dems and Obama of not negotiating, which is ridiculous because there's no negotiation here. A negotiation is where both parties give up something, and the option to not reach a compromise is there without threat of some major catastrophe if you dont. That's not what we have here. The Republicans have offered NOTHING. They only ask the Dems/Obama to give up something, and threaten to not raise the debt-ceiling if they dont get what they want.

That's not a negotiation, that's extortion, and the ones who pay the price are the entire world. This should not just be illegal, it should be considered treason. The 14th Amendment says that the debt of the United States cannot be questioned.

#224 Edited by WillPayton (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly there are many people who are in this position. Without Obamacare, if you have any kind of pre-existing condition and lose your job, you will either pay through the nose, or be denied completely. That's one of the major problems with the pre-Obamacare system... health insurance companies can pick and chose to insure the healthiest people and let everyone else to get sick and die... and often to become the burden of the tax payers once those people have to go to "free" clinics and the Emergency Room, both paid for by tax money.

Even with a job, a lot of poor people often didnt have insurance at all. So, again, they were screwed or ended up being treated by tax money only after their conditions got really, really bad. Without insurance, preventive care is often too expensive for those living at the bottom of the economic spectrum.

#225 Edited by M3th (2050 posts) - - Show Bio

I just found out so many of my friends are blaming Obama. I am soo pissed about that. Am I wrong to be pissed? I can't believe this $#!%. Good friends of mine, are blaming Obama.

June'sVeryOwn ABstract4$$#073

#226 Edited by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus said:

This is a no-spin-zone.

That AP poll has Congress at a 5% approval rating and 62% of Americans blame Congressional Republicans. House Republicans were sporting initially a 72% disapproval of their actions that lead into shutdown to begin with; there is no way you can spin these numbers. Even recent polls follow the trend of having a 28% approval rating and a 63% of Americans blaming them for the shutdown suggests that most people think it isn't the President's fault.

So truth be told, American's aren't a fan of House Republicans using extortion to win political battles as they're the minority in government only maintaining the House due to Gerrymandering. And that's why they're buckling one by one under the pressure - because they're losing public opinion.

@gambit474: i agree with you, its funny how people forget that about lincoln..

I thought you weren't a fan of a charismatic President making changes to a constitution, who expanded Government into people's livelihood / lives, whose controversial decisions deeply divided the nation?

@m3th said:

I just found out so many of my friends are blaming Obama. I am soo pissed about that. Am I wrong to be pissed? I can't believe this $#!%. Good friends of mine, are blaming Obama.

People don't follow politics and happily blame everything on the figurehead. It's not surprising.

#227 Posted by M3th (2050 posts) - - Show Bio

@isaac_clarke: One of my friends does follow politics and he still blames Obama. I'm dying to find out why exactly. He's very intelligent. I like to hear everyone's side. Me and him argue all the time. He always says "all we ever do is argue but I always view you as a great friend."

June'sVeryOwn

#228 Posted by CuddleBear (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, because if the Republicans pass a clean bill and raise the debt ceiling Obama will negotiate in good faith and not just give witty republican-trashing speeches with his jacket off and his sleeves rolled up.

#229 Edited by Saren (25332 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, because if the Republicans pass a clean bill and raise the debt ceiling Obama will negotiate in good faith and not just give witty republican-trashing speeches with his jacket off and his sleeves rolled up.

Considering he was the one who placed the amendment in the Affordable Care Act that allowed Catholic-run universities, hospitals and institutions to be exempt from Obamacare after the respective religious officials took issue with it, he has a better record at meeting the other side halfway than Boehner or McConell or any of the other GOP honchos do.

#230 Edited by CuddleBear (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane meeting halfway? Bush doesn't negotitate with terrorist and Obama doesn't negotitate with republicans now. halfway? he will not give an inch. why do you think that is? politics

#231 Edited by Saren (25332 posts) - - Show Bio

@cuddlebear said:

@citizenbane meeting halfway? Bush doesn't negotitate with terrorist and Obama doesn't negotitate with republicans now. halfway? he will not give an inch. why do you think that is? politics

Setting aside the fact that handy aphorisms aside, Bush and multiple Republican presidents and presidential candidates before and after him have in fact negotiated with terrorists or violent elements across the world at some point or another towards various ends be they necessary or not, whether Hamas or the Taliban or whichever flavor-of-the-month destabilizing force West Asia coughs up, there is a difference between the two scenarios. The Republicans are trying to extort the government by threatening to stand by and watch as the debt ceiling deadline comes and goes. Any economist worth his or her salt will tell you that if the United States defaults on its debt obligations, the consequences will be both calamitous as well as global. Threatening to put the global economic system in jeopardy because radical fringe elements that are slowly corrupting your party from within want you to pick a fight over healthcare that you know you can't possibly win is a completely irrational thing to do. Obama has been very clear on why he's not willing to negotiate over this, it's because the Republicans think they can hold a democracy hostage and get their way through threats and extortion. That is not how democracy works. If he caves on this, it'll be a green light for the GOP to threaten shutdowns and national suffering every time they want to get their way.

#232 Posted by CuddleBear (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane this is a move to juice the democrats for the midterms which obama badly needs after the year he has had. and now mr. moderate reasonably sensible obama says he is the decider and won't negotiate. this move works out only 2 ways for him

1) republicans don't blink then obama can blame blame blame for whatever happens

2) republicans fold and he looks like a strong leader

politics baby obama is one of the best you can't deny that

#233 Posted by CuddleBear (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane Bush doesn't negotitate with terrorist and Obama doesn't negotitate with republicans now... not meant to be exactly true just meant to feel true its a meme im creating. you remeber memes right? i like to fire people, binders full of women, romney killed a guys wife that used to work for him... oh OFA you make karl rove proud. so people don't negotiate on the budget and the debt limit? news to me. i wonder while the government is shut down if it is in obamas intrest for everything that can go bad for people to happen, dont want to repeat the sky aint falling sequester mess. but he did start taking the national debt seriously after sequester by saving us money on white house tours ooooo he is such a moderate

#234 Posted by Saren (25332 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane this is a move to juice the democrats for the midterms which obama badly needs after the year he has had. and now mr. moderate reasonably sensible obama says he is the decider and won't negotiate. this move works out only 2 ways for him

1) republicans don't blink then obama can blame blame blame for whatever happens

2) republicans fold and he looks like a strong leader

politics baby obama is one of the best you can't deny that

I'm betting the GOP is going to need that juice for the midterms a lot more than Obama will. Both ways are obvious conclusions, except that if the Republicans "don't blink", they are to blame for what happens. They've done everything from bring government functions to a standstill over not being allowed to take away women's autonomy over their bodies to suggesting that every economist is wrong and a default won't be a bad thing. If Obama comes off as a strong leader, he deserves to at that point.

I mean, really, what do you think would be the right, responsible thing for Obama to do? Give in to GOP demands and effectively tell them that they have carte blanche to pull similar stunts in the future every time something doesn't go their way? The point behind me mentioning that amendment regarding Catholic-run institutions was to show that when the demands have been reasonable, Obama has in fact listened and complied. The "conscience clause" that the GOP has been trying to push for the last few years, the one that they tried to shoehorn into the budget bill right before the shutdown? That has never been a reasonable demand at any point.

#235 Posted by Saren (25332 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane Bush doesn't negotitate with terrorist and Obama doesn't negotitate with republicans now... not meant to be exactly true just meant to feel true its a meme im creating. you remeber memes right? i like to fire people, binders full of women, romney killed a guys wife that used to work for him... oh OFA you make karl rove proud. so people don't negotiate on the budget and the debt limit? news to me. i wonder while the government is shut down if it is in obamas intrest for everything that can go bad for people to happen, dont want to repeat the sky aint falling sequester mess. but he did start taking the national debt seriously after sequester by saving us money on white house tours ooooo he is such a moderate

I have to wonder if there's actually a point somewhere in this or if it's just supposed to be anti-Obama rambling for the sake of it.

#236 Posted by CuddleBear (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane by the looks of how obamacare is going so far delaying the individual mandate for a year doesn't seem unreasonable

#237 Edited by Saren (25332 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane by the looks of how obamacare is going so far delaying the individual mandate for a year doesn't seem unreasonable

Well, considering the site crashed on its first day because of the sheer number of people who were trying to enroll for Obamacare, the electorate might disagree with you on that front. Delaying the mandate was only one of the GOP's demands. You're familiar with the conscience clause that says women (and women alone) won't be entitled to company coverage related to reproductive health unless their employer lets them?

#238 Edited by CuddleBear (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane my point is there is one person here making an unreasonable stand that is shutting down the government. its the one saying throwing around words like "terrorist" "gun to the head" my guess is if obama would just agree to the keystone pipeline and make no concession on his precious AHCA that boehner and the jelly spined moderate republicans would jump on that deal... but daddy obama is teaching us a lesson that you dont give into spoiled children.

#239 Posted by Saren (25332 posts) - - Show Bio
#240 Posted by CuddleBear (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane comrade bane i may not have a point but i think i havent heard one thing from you that isnt a point....a white house talking point that is

#241 Edited by CuddleBear (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane the house of representatives(key word heard being representative) is not a child that dear leader obama rules. its the truest representation citizens have comrade

#242 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

Get a job, hippy. :p You're the face of the lazy who want things handed to you, and everyone else pays for.

#244 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10368 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

Why are you surprised?

#245 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
#246 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

@explodingpineapple said:

Tell me about. Watch the video.

@isaac_clarke said:

@explodingpineapple: Nope, we're just going to blame his party for pandering to extremists and shutting the government down. All over a fight they can't win; having lost in every opportunity to take down the ACA without resorting to economic terrorism / extortion of the global economy as they rob their supporters blind.

Typical liberal. If someone disagrees with you they are an "extremist."

#247 Posted by laflux (14339 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@vance_astro said:

I'm starting my own country. New America. There will be freedom fries on caturday!

I'M IN.

YAY!

Dibs on Prime Minister.

#248 Posted by laflux (14339 posts) - - Show Bio

@nelomaxwell said:

Get a job, hippy. :p You're the face of the lazy who want things handed to you, and everyone else pays for.

I'll give you 5.5/10 for the trolling mate.

#249 Edited by Saren (25332 posts) - - Show Bio

Software and just an over all bad site is why the Obamacare site crashed.

Faulty Private Contractor Software

$93M ObamaCare website may face months of glitches

The first link flat out states that the software conked because it wasn't prepared to deal with the volume of server requests.

As for the second link.......sure, Fox News, the source that literally claimed the world had just watched America commit suicide when Obama was reelected and recently put out a story about him funding a mosque out of his own pocket that was proven to be completely false by a dozen different sources, is undoubtedly unbiased and trustworthy. But even that article begrudgingly points to the heavy volume of server requests.

#250 Posted by Saren (25332 posts) - - Show Bio

But seriously, why would anyone post links and polls from unabashedly right-wing sites and claim that it's definitive proof that voters all blame Obama for the shutdown? There's about a dozen such polls you could quote from HuffPost or The Nation or Gawker or any of those sites that will say precisely the opposite and show voters pinning the blame on Boehner and McConell. It's called propaganda. It's been around for a long, long time.

And lol at right-wing sources looking to college students for affirmation of the electorate blaming Obama when college students make up a major chunk of the young voters demographic that voted 60% Democrat, 37% Republican in the 2012 election. Next they'll conduct a poll among African-American voters to prove that they all think Ron Paul is a stand-up guy.