So... the Republicans shut down the government!

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The only real thing I want to say is this:

1. George Washington was a Badass who clearly knew that two parties were gonna screw America over.

2. I love that Congress is still getting paid regardless of the fact the Government shutdown and that tons of government employees have to be furloughed instead. I honestly believe that if Congress's pay was taken from them, they would have solved this problem instantly.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By willpayton

@dctv3363 said:

@willpayton said:

BTW, someone asked me earlier what unethical things had the Republicans done. Here's a perfect example, this creepy ad by the Koch brothers which simply tries to scare people and misinform them about Obamacare. It gives the impression that the government will interfere in your healthcare and that you might have to submit to them either telling you what doctors to use or doctors that actually work for the government. "Dont let the government play doctor" it says, suggesting that the government might rape you. All of this is total BS.

Loading Video...

This is now a top contender for dumbest thing I have ever seen.

I feel like I just watched a weird Robot Chicken skit

Just in case you thought the anti-Obamacare propaganda only extends to creepy Uncle Sam raping women, you can be sure that creepy Uncle Sam will also rape you if you're a man and feel the need to get health care:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@dctv3363 said:

@willpayton said:

BTW, someone asked me earlier what unethical things had the Republicans done. Here's a perfect example, this creepy ad by the Koch brothers which simply tries to scare people and misinform them about Obamacare. It gives the impression that the government will interfere in your healthcare and that you might have to submit to them either telling you what doctors to use or doctors that actually work for the government. "Dont let the government play doctor" it says, suggesting that the government might rape you. All of this is total BS.

Loading Video...

This is now a top contender for dumbest thing I have ever seen.

@thecheesestabber said:

I feel like I just watched a weird Robot Chicken skit

Just in case you thought the anti-Obamacare propaganda only extends to creepy Uncle Sam raping women, you can be sure that creepy Uncle Sam will also rape you if you're a man and feel the need to get health care:

Loading Video...

Wow Uncle Sams a player :P

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By pooty

Republicans say they will pass a budget IF and only IF it includes de-funding Obama care. The only reason they won't do it is strictly because of Obama Care. That sounds like BLACKMAIL. They couldn't stop it from becoming law. They got their feelings hurt and want to react like whining children while hurting thousands of Americans they are supposed to serve.

VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By VanTesla

@supernategames said:

I personally disagree with you sir. Democrats are ruining the country.

Both Democrats and Republican in Congress are ruining the country because of special interest groups, greed, corruption, and no actual care for the American peoples interest. They may spout different things, but behind doors they are all the same and it is just getting worse and worse. People are more divided than ever in this country and some in government and in corporate want it that way because it blinds both sides to the truth and instead of uniting against this corruption and bs we are fighting among ourselves. Also the majority of American don't know what is right for our country and are complete idiots that will only listen to one view and never even check the facts unless it is on a article, document, channel, or site that is biased towards one viewpoint.

I don't agree with many things in the Affordable Cae Act and would like to see it revamped or replaced with something else. To have the government shut down because some hard rightwing tea party people won't budge unless they have Obamacare defunded is just childish and an abuse of power that only hurts the American people. Obamcare was passed in congress, supreme court said it was ok, and it's a law so to try and hold up the government budget and the cost of around 200 million dollars a day with the shutdown and people not woring is just asinine. If they want to defund it they should be smarter about it and try to get the senate in the next elections and do it then... Both parties are acting like children, but at this moment if this goes on longer it will hurt the Republican party more and make it more divided than it already is.

The first thing to go in a Government shutdown should always be congress paychecks and their free healthcare. They failed us so they are the ones that deserved to be punished...

VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

Republicans say they will pass a budget IF and only IF it includes de-funding Obama care. The only reason they won't do it is strictly because of Obama Care. That sounds like BLACKMAIL. They couldn't stop it from becoming law. They got their feelings hurt and want to react like whining children while hurting thousands of Americans they are supposed to serve.

In congress so far many Republicans in House and Senate have tried to repeal obamacare 42 times since it was placed into law.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry dude can't help. I have my own problems over here in the UK

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

The American people hate the Affordable Care Act so much that the government's health insurance enrollment site just crashed for a while due to so many people trying to sign up for Obamacare at once. LOL.

I'd wonder why reconciling fanaticism with reality is so hard for people to do, but then it wouldn't be fanaticism.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Looking at it from Europe, the whole thing just makes me shake my head. Because the biggest economy in the world, the last remaining superpower has effectively been brought to a standstill for a bunch of reasons that really shouldn't. (It's a pebble that's stopped a tank):

• Firstly that Healthcare act doesn't appear to have anything with the government's budget
  • From what I can make out, the Act is only for those who can't afford a private insurance or that has one through their job and I believe it's only those using it that's actually paying for it (but I am not sure)... So it's something for the poor only.
  • Then we come to how the Act has been through both Houses, approved by both, approved by the president and then the courts
  • And then we have the two parties who are refusing to budge, the Democrats I understand because they have been trying for something like two decades to get this through, the Republicans however I don't get.
  • And thats because, by the sound of it, it is mostly the so-called 'Teabaggers' that hate this law (for what I think is extremely stupid reasons) and Bohner is only playing along so he can maintain inter-party peace.

And that is my level-headed view on it, a more opinionated version would probably be against forum policy.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#161  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

Obama was elected by fraud. Voter fraud Actually, he was selected not elected.

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By willpayton

The Republicans keep telling us how unpopular Obamacare is and how it has already failed... and yet on the first day the website crashed because of so many millions of people visiting it.

The truth is that almost every part of Obamacare has support from the public, and in fact a lot of times when you ask people if they like the "Affordable Care Act" they say yes, but ask if they like "Obamacare" they'll say no. A lot of these people have no clue what Obamacare is and all they know is the negative propaganda like the ads above that intentionally lie about it.

What the Republicans are afraid of (so afraid that they're willing to shut down the government and damage our economy) is that once people see what Obamacare is, once 30 million uninsured people get insurance, once they start to like it and realize that it's a good plan... they wont want to get rid of it. And, once they realize those things, they'll also realize that they have been lied to and manipulated by the Republicans for political and ideological reasons. They have been told that they should NOT get health insurance just to screw Obama (see ads above)... which is an extremely irresponsible and dangerous thing to be telling people. And, the ironic thing is, that the people who follow this advice and end up with medical conditions that they cant pay for, are the loyal Republican party voters that got those Republican Congressmen into office in the first place.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares whos fault it is our government in the U.S. is terrible

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clinton on Obamacare: It Only Works If Young People Show Up Most younger people don't want it and can't afford it.

Loading Video...

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Vaeternus

@supernategames said:

I personally disagree with you sir. Democrats are ruining the country.

I agree. Neither side wants to give at this point...but I gotta admit I'd put more blame on the radical libs at this point, I don't like the direction we're going and I don't like Obamacare.

@cezar_thescribe said:

Clinton on Obamacare: It Only Works If Young People Show Up Most younger people don't want it and can't afford it.

Loading Video...

Good point, plus I'd like to know why Obama won't answer the question of "If you're for it so much why don't you have it"? 2016 can't get here fast enough...

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vaeternus,

The people enforcing Obamacare don't have to have it. Neither do the politicians.

Here's another good podcast. Patriot Trading Group

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By willpayton

@cezar_thescribe said:

Loading Video...

Good point, plus I'd like to know why Obama won't answer the question of "If you're for it so much why don't you have it"? 2016 can't get here fast enough...

Yes, insurance only works if healthy people pay into it to subsidize sicker people... THAT'S HOW INSURANCE WORKS.

Up until now we've had a system where insurance companies deny coverage to very sick people and cherry-pick the healthiest ones to cover, thereby jacking up their profits. This leaves the sick people to fend for themselves, and in many cases their healthcare ends up being payed for by tax payers (when they go to the ER) or through free clinics and such (also somewhat paid for by tax money). That... is pretty much the worst possible health care system imaginable.

Please try to be less ignorant. The ACA is there to help people without health insurance and those too poor to afford it. Bill Clinton does not need it because he already has health insurance. Asking inane questions like "why doenst he get Obamacare" just shows that you have no clue what you're talking about.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Vaeternus

@ willipayton, Sorry, nah hardly ignorant, I just pay attention to detail ;) you really should instead of believing everything the media feeds ya. Now that method is ignorant. I get that but I'm saying if Obama thinks it's so great, why doesn't he set an example by having it himself or someone close to him? It's easy for someone to say "this is good for you, do it" and you yourself not be willing to do it. It's free right? The best thing ever since bread to some people? So you think his kids have it or do you think they got a choice of healthcare? It reminds me of Rosie O' Donnell few years back ranting "how she's anti-gun, guns are bad blah, blah" yet her own body guards have guns, when someone asked her about it, she was no where to be found to comment(wonder why lol) My point is, practice what you preach..

I'm not rich by any means, and I have medicaid because I applied for it and you'd be surprised how easily one can qualify and never been denied healthcare service. Another thing people have to do that don't cause of lazyness is do their homework, meaning make sure ahead of time that whoever you want to see TAKES your insurance, as oppose to make an appointment, then go there the day pull out their cards and are denied(I'm sorry but this is foolish to me) How hard is it to ask on the phone if they take your insurance, if they don't then you go somewhere else. Most major doctors now accept medicaid, medicare and most insurances. I still pay money for visits, presciptions etc but just a tad cheaper then normally(what I used to with a former job) yet I know so many people who actually make more money then me, who are like "can't wait for Obamacare, cause it's free" yet when I ask them have you even tried applying for more affordable insurance, they don't give me an answer or tell me "why should I when I can get something for free soon"?

I live by the motto "quality, not quantity" Also, remember there's a lot of doctors out there and pharmaceutical companies that DON'T like or want Obamacare because they're going to lose money. I've also been to the E.R. twice since I've had medicaid, and never denied....as I said, I know people who make more then me who just want something for nothing and don't even try to apply to an appropriate healthcare...due to lazyness or lack of common sense.

It's a valid question that you can't even answer. Now continue to post biased pro Obama topics and ignore the counterpoints as you usually do.

You really should watch the video @ Cezar_TheScribe posted which I noticed you totally ignored. Most people who voted for him don't even understand what he's for nor his policies....

As for parties, I consider myself conservative/middle. I don't approve or current Republican values as most of them are fakes and just cave to the Democrats who oppose them. As far as the parties are concerned, both are being impulsive, immature and stubborn....but all I have to say is we didn't see this with Bush, Clinton etc.

@Cezar_TheScribe, I know I never said they have to have it...but I'm saying why don't they apply for it themselves if Obamacare is "so great" more so my question. Of course they nobody has to have anything, that's the problem. Being forced to have something despite how flawed it is vs. not being able to have any choice in the matter of insurance.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#170  Edited By SOG7dc

i think that the people of America are to blame. here is why:

When you elect children to office you get everything that typically comes with children. Theyre lazy, theyre immature, theyre disrespectful, they never get anything done unless you absolutely make them, they look for any excuse to avoid ansewring tough questions or taking responsibility for their actions, they dont understand personal sacrifice, they dont like rules and they cry and whine when they dont get their way. have i not described the American govt? are they more adult than i give them credit for? and to every american that would agree with me then i present to you that it is not their fault. its ours! we gave them the jobs. (jobs they they are currently being paid for even though theyre on vacation) if Amerian people were responsible with their voting power and dedicated thought time and research to it. then we'd be in a much better position. democrats and republicans are both repusive imo but the republicans are acting like children right now. and this govt shutdown is what truly makes us look weak to the rest of the world.......

Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Blood_Red_Rage

The wankage going on from both sides is silly. The two party system is piss and has gotten old, bunch of finger pointing and bickering. These "career" politicians need the boot, in fact their salaries should be significantly cut as well as benefits to that of the average American income. Wonder how many will stick around sucking it up. The shut down makes me laugh and cry at the same time. They can all go screw themselves!!

No Caption Provided

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/10/1/reporting-governmentshutdowndemocracy.html

U.S. news reports are largely blaming the government shutdown on the inability of both political parties to come to terms. It is supposedly the result of a "bitterly divided" Congress that "failed to reach agreement" (Washington Post) or "a bitter budget standoff" left unresolved by "rapid-fire back and forth legislative maneuvers" (New York Times). This sort of false equivalence is not just a failure of journalism. It is also a failure of democracy.

When the political leadership of this country is incapable of even keeping the government open, a political course correction is in order. But how can democracy self-correct if the public does not understand where the problem lies? And where will the pressure for change come from if journalists do not hold the responsible parties accountable?

The truth of what happened Monday night, as almost all political reporters know full well, is that "Republicans staged a series of last-ditch efforts to use a once-routine budget procedure to force Democrats to abandon their efforts to extend U.S. health insurance." (Thank you, Guardian.)

And holding the entire government hostage while demanding the de facto repeal of a president's signature legislation and not even bothering to negotiate is by any reasonable standard an extreme political act. It is an attempt to make an end run around the normal legislative process. There is no historical precedent for it. The last shutdowns, in 1995 and 1996, were not the product of unilateral demands to scrap existing law; they took place during a period of give-and-take budget negotiations.

But the political media's aversion to doing anything that might be seen as taking sides — combined with its obsession with process — led them to actively obscure the truth in their coverage of the votes. If you did not already know what this was all about, reading the news would not help you understand.

What makes all this more than a journalistic failure is that the press plays a crucial role in our democracy. We count on the press to help create an informed electorate. And perhaps even more important, we rely on the press to hold the powerful accountable.

That requires calling out political leaders when they transgress or fail to meet commonly agreed-upon standards: when they are corrupt, when they deceive, when they break the rules and refuse to govern. Such exposure is the first consequence. When the transgressions are sufficiently grave, what follows should be continued scrutiny, marginalization, contempt and ridicule.

In the current political climate, journalistic false equivalence leads to an insufficiently informed electorate, because the public is not getting an accurate picture of what is going on.

But the lack of accountability is arguably even worse because it has the characteristics of a cascade failure. When the media coverage seeks down-the-middle neutrality despite one party's outlandish conduct, there are no political consequences for their actions. With no consequences for extremism, politicians who have succeeded using such conduct have an incentive to become even more extreme. The more extreme they get, the further the split-the-difference press has to veer from common sense in order to avoid taking sides. And so on.

The political press should be the public's first line of defense when it comes to assessing who is deviating from historic norms and practices, who is risking serious damage to the nation, whose positions are based in irrational phobias and ignorance rather than data and reason.

Instead journalists have been suckered into embracing "balance" and "neutrality" at all costs, and the consequences of their choice in an era of political extremism will only get worse and worse.

One of the great ironies of the current dynamic is that political scientists Norman Ornstein and Thomas Mann, who for decades were conventional voices of plague-on-both-your-houses centrism, have now become among the foremost critics of a press corps that fails to report the obvious. They describe the modern Republican Party, without any hesitation, as "a party beholden to ideological zealots."

But as Mann explained in an interview last year, "The mainstream press really has such a difficult time trying to cope with asymmetry between the two parties' agendas and connections to facts and truth."

Even with a story as straightforward as the government shutdown, splitting the difference remains the method of choice for the political reporters and editors in Washington's most influential news bureaus. Even when they surely know better. Even when many Republican elected officials have criticized their own leaders for being too beholden to the more radical right wing.

Media critics — and members of the public — have long decried this kind of he-said-she-said reporting. The Atlantic's James Fallows, one of the most consistent chroniclers and decriers of false equivalence, describes it as the "strong tendency to give equal time and credence to varying 'sides' of a story, even if one of the sides is objectively true and the other is just made up."

New York University journalism professor Jay Rosen argues that truth telling has been surpassed as a newsroom priority by a neither-nor impartiality he calls the "view from nowhere."

Blaming everyone — Congress, both sides, Washington — is simply the path of least resistance for today's political reporters. It's a way of avoiding conflict rather than taking the risk that the public — or their editors — will accuse them of being unprofessionally partisan.

But making a political judgment through triangulation — trying to stake out a safe middle ground between the two political parties — is still making a political judgment. It is often just not a very good one. And in this case, as in many others, it is doing the country a grave disservice.

So, no, the shutdown is not generalized dysfunction or gridlock or stalemate. It is aberrational behavior by a political party that is willing to take extreme and potentially damaging action to get its way. And by not calling it what it is, the political press is enabling it.

We need a more fearless media.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. George Washington was a Badass who clearly knew that two parties were gonna screw America over.

2. I love that Congress is still getting paid regardless of the fact the Government shutdown and that tons of government employees have to be furloughed instead. I honestly believe that if Congress's pay was taken from them, they would have solved this problem instantly.

I love Washington. He must have had a crystal ball.

BattheMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Cezar guy is really full of himself. You know which election was fraudulent? THE ONE THAT PUT THAT IDIOT GEORGE W. BUSH INTO OFFICE OVER AL GORE. Everyone with a sensible brain knows that election was rigged.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Vaeternus

@thegreyoutcastx said:

Yeah, we can totally use guys like Washington and Lincoln right now especially.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

This is one of the reasons I'm happy I live in Canada. Nobody here gives a crap about politics.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespideyguy said:

@thegreyoutcastx said:

I'm not a Lincoln fan.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus said:

@thespideyguy said:

@thegreyoutcastx said:

I'm not a Lincoln fan.

To each his own, I'm sure at this point almost anyone would do better then the guy in charge now.

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

Let's not fool ourselves. Everyone in an office is willing to damage our economy and shut down the government for political gain.

Don't trust anybody. Ever. They can see us.

Excuse me while I finish my Tinfoil Hat 2.0.

Oh, and in before a war..

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespideyguy said:

@vaeternus said:

@thespideyguy said:

@thegreyoutcastx said:

I'm not a Lincoln fan.

To each his own, I'm sure at this point almost anyone would do better then the guy in charge now.

I agree. I just realized my Lincoln comment could come off as racist. I apologize I don't see race only Americans.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@squares said:

This is one of the reasons I'm happy I live in Canada. Nobody here gives a crap about politics.

i saw a video of the canadian parliament taking into consideration the possibility of a zombie apocalypse....you live in a wonderful wonderful place

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@squares said:

i saw a video of the canadian parliament taking into consideration the possibility of a zombie apocalypse....you live in a wonderful wonderful place

I think even a zombie apocalypse would not succeed in shutting down the government.

Tea Party > Zombie Apocalypse

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@sog7dc said:

@squares said:

Really? Did they head for the tunnels? There's this huge network of 'em underneath the parliament buildings, leading all the way to a cold war era fallout shelter. At least, I think it leads all the way there.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just want to say the chances of a zombie apocalypse happening in general is as good as anyone here hitting the 2 million jackpot...slimt to none...

@thespideyguy: all good dude, unlike some radicals out there who pull the race card like al.sharpton, i dont do that. I hate obama because of his policies not cause of his color i tell people and im a minority. ;-)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@sog7dc said:

@squares said:

I think even a zombie apocalypse would not succeed in shutting down the government.

Tea Party > Zombie Apocalypse

LOL

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I hate myself for posting here again after I told myself I wouldn't, but I can live with self-loathing: I pay these people with my taxes, I want a refund. I also want them all fired. Their job is to prevent this sh*t and do what's best for the American people. Clearly, they ignored that part of the job description. The United States has a pretty good history of leadership, but the last 15-20 years is baffling. If this has been progress, in 10 years we'll have a head of lettuce running against a pear, and Congress will be a corn field.

Our two party system has become this: two big bowls of sh*t, and the only difference is the smell.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't get the hate for Obamacare. Most of consequences have not yet been seen. In fact the opposite. Thanks to this law I was able to stay on my parents health insurance which meant I didn't have to pay my school for health insurance coverage. The money I saved allowed me to buy books and a few other stuff. I mean honestly, most of the hate for Obamacare is the fact it is known as Obamacare rather the Affordable Care Act.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma said:

I really don't get the hate for Obamacare. Most of consequences have not yet been seen. In fact the opposite. Thanks to this law I was able to stay on my parents health insurance which meant I didn't have to pay my school for health insurance coverage. The money I saved allowed me to buy books and a few other stuff. I mean honestly, most of the hate for Obamacare is the fact it is known as Obamacare rather the Affordable Care Act.

Actually, quite true. I saw a poll where people were asked if they liked Obamacare or not. Then they were asked if they liked the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). A lot of people said they hated Obamacare but liked the ACA. They also had no clue what Obamacare even did.

The problem is that since Obama got elected, the Republican party, Fox News, and people like the Koch brothers have assassinated Obama's character non-stop. First it was the birther stuff, then that Obama was going to take away your guns, he's a Socialist, he hates America, he wants to bring in the UN to take control of the government, Obamacare was going to have "Death Panel" that were going to kill your grandparents (I wish I was making this stuff up)... and now it's that Obamacare is killing jobs and wants to rape you. And... people who only get their news from places like Fox News and conservative radio eat this stuff up. Please, go to YouTube and read the comments on almost any video about Obama or Obamacare. It's almost always a bunch of people calling Obama names, saying how he's illegitimate and stole the election, should be impeached (or worse), and how he's basically destroying our freedoms and our nation.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate myself for posting here again after I told myself I wouldn't, but I can live with self-loathing: I pay these people with my taxes, I want a refund. I also want them all fired. Their job is to prevent this sh*t and do what's best for the American people. Clearly, they ignored that part of the job description. The United States has a pretty good history of leadership, but the last 15-20 years is baffling. If this has been progress, in 10 years we'll have a head of lettuce running against a pear, and Congress will be a corn field.

Our two party system has become this: two big bowls of sh*t, and the only difference is the smell.

This is a completely different issue, but I agree that the two-party system is horrible. And, part of the problem is our election/electoral system, which inevitably leads to a two-party system and things like the spoiler effect. I really wish we could get enough momentum behind changing this to an instant run-off type system.

Watch this:

Loading Video...

and this:

Loading Video...

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By LimpoyzLoan

Can't say I'm surprised. Nearly every day someone's coming up with a way to run us in the ground.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/Shutdown_Blues

THE REIGN OF MORONS IS HERE

Only the truly child-like can have expected anything else.

In the year of our Lord 2010, the voters of the United States elected the worst Congress in the history of the Republic. There have been Congresses more dilatory. There have been Congresses more irresponsible, though not many of them. There have been lazier Congresses, more vicious Congresses, and Congresses less capable of seeing forests for trees. But there has never been in a single Congress -- or, more precisely, in a single House of the Congress -- a more lethal combination of political ambition, political stupidity, and political vainglory than exists in this one, which has arranged to shut down the federal government because it disapproves of a law passed by a previous Congress, signed by the president, and upheld by the Supreme Court, a law that does nothing more than extend the possibility of health insurance to the millions of Americans who do not presently have it, a law based on a proposal from a conservative think-tank and taken out on the test track in Massachusetts by a Republican governor who also happens to have been the party's 2012 nominee for president of the United States. That is why the government of the United States is, in large measure, closed this morning.

We have elected the people sitting on hold, waiting for their moment on an evening drive-time radio talk show.

We have elected an ungovernable collection of snake-handlers, Bible-bangers, ignorami, bagmen and outright frauds, a collection so ungovernable that it insists the nation be ungovernable, too. We have elected people to govern us who do not believe in government.

We have elected a national legislature in which Louie Gohmert and Michele Bachmann have more power than does the Speaker of the House of Representatives, who has been made a piteous spectacle in the eyes of the country and doesn't seem to mind that at all. We have elected a national legislature in which the true power resides in a cabal of vandals, a nihilistic brigade that believes that its opposition to a bill directing millions of new customers to the nation's insurance companies is the equivalent of standing up to the Nazis in 1938, to the bravery of the passengers on Flight 93 on September 11, 2001, and to Mel Gibson's account of the Scottish Wars of Independence in the 13th Century. We have elected a national legislature that looks into the mirror and sees itself already cast in marble.

We did this. We looked at our great legacy of self-government and we handed ourselves over to the reign of morons.

This is what they came to Washington to do -- to break the government of the United States. It doesn't matter any more whether they're doing it out of pure crackpot ideology, or at the behest of the various sugar daddies that back their campaigns, or at the instigation of their party's mouthbreathing base. It may be any one of those reasons. It may be all of them. The government of the United States, in the first three words of its founding charter, belongs to all of us, and these people have broken it deliberately. The true hell of it, though, is that you could see this coming down through the years, all the way from Ronald Reagan's First Inaugural Address in which government "was" the problem, through Bill Clinton's ameliorative nonsense about the era of big government being "over," through the attempts to make a charlatan like Newt Gingrich into a scholar and an ambitious hack like Paul Ryan into a budget genius, and through all the endless attempts to find "common ground" and a "Third Way." Ultimately, as we all wrapped ourselves in good intentions, a prion disease was eating away at the country's higher functions. One of the ways you can acquire a prion disease is to eat right out of its skull the brains of an infected monkey. We are now seeing the country reeling and jabbering from the effects of the prion disease, but it was during the time of Reagan that the country ate the monkey brains.

What is there to be done? The first and most important thing is to recognize how we came to this pass. Both sides did not do this. Both sides are not to blame. There is no compromise to be had here that will leave the current structure of the government intact. There can be no reward for this behavior. I am less sanguine than are many people that this whole thing will redound to the credit of the Democratic party. For that to happen, the country would have to make a nuanced judgment over who is to blame that, I believe, will be discouraged by the courtier press of the Beltway and that, in any case, the country has not shown itself capable of making. For that to happen, the Democratic party would have to be demonstrably ruthless enough to risk its own political standing to make the point, which the Democratic party never has shown itself capable of doing. With the vandals tucked away in safe, gerrymandered districts, and their control over state governments probably unshaken by events in Washington, there will be no great wave election that sweeps them out of power. I do not see profound political consequences for enough of them to change the character of a Congress gone delusional. The only real consequences will be felt by the millions of people affected by what this Congress has forced upon the nation, which was the whole point all along.

Among other things, the Library Of Congress is closed as a result of what the vandals have done. Padlock study and intellect. Wander aimlessly down the mall among the shuttered monuments to self-government. Find yourself a food truck that serves monkey brains. Eat your fking fill.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

ABORTIONS FOR SOME... TINY AMERICAN FLAGS FOR OTHERS!

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ABORTIONS FOR SOME... TINY AMERICAN FLAGS FOR OTHERS!

I'll take 3!

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: Same here. I don't even see race I just see Americans.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

*Puts on Fake Mustache*

*Puts on manly voice*

I think that cheesestabber fellow with the beautiful eyes and rock hard butt would make a great President whose with me?

*Runs off*

*Reappears without mustache*

:O I have fans :'3

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By CheeseSticks

I'm glad i'm canadian

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By willpayton

Shut down the government, then go over to the WWII Memorial and tell a park ranger that she "ought to be ashamed" because the monument is closed and she's not allowed to let anyone in. Seriously?

I'm actually surprised someone didnt just outright smack this guy in the face.

Loading Video...

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#198  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@willpayton:

Well said, all of it. And I agree. I happen to have agreed more often than not with Reagan, but I am not blind to the effects and it is a matter of perspective whether or not a President was good....most times anyway. Politicians enjoy keeping the average American busy and concerned with day to day threats (kid's college, house payments, job security, etc) and while those things are things we should all be concerned about they proceed to bombard us with what I refer to as "façade issues" to keep you occupied beyond looking deeper.

As I stated before, it hurts my heart because I happen to love this country and believe in what our Constitution and Declaration state. To see us go so astray, and not take responsibility, it bothers me. It hurts. I believe we still can rebound though, I've not lost faith in the American people. I believe in the silent majority, the moderate, rational Americans. They are a sleeping giant, though, needing to be awoken.

No Caption Provided

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/10/03/20805052-paul-caught-on-hot-mic-were-gonna-win-this-i-think?lite

So here's a clip of Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell having an impromptu strategy meeting saying how much better their rhetoric is than the Democrats'. They talk about "winning" the shutdown and how the Democrats are even saying the same thing in private talks as they were in public. [GASP!] If you believe the BS they feed you about the Democrats wanting to shut down the government more than Republicans take a look at how focused they are with their image.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers