So the new Godzilla isn't a reboot?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

The new trailer is incredible, but I noticed they refer to 1954 (which is when the original Godzilla was created). All the Godzilla films have taken place in this continuity, so my theory is that it isn't a reboot, but set in the continuity of all the Godzilla films thus far.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JakeN7

It's most certainly a reboot. It just pays homage to the classics. This is the first they've seen of Godzilla. He hasn't saved the world a bunch of times and fought a ton of Kaijus.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

1954 was when they tested the nuclear bombs.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@jaken7 said:

It's most certainly a reboot. It just pays homage to the classics. This is the first they've seen of Godzilla. He hasn't saved the world a bunch of times and fought a ton of Kaijus.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

never cared for the originals but i have to say i did like the new trailer from yesterday. i just hope it lives up to the hype

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe it's a reboot. Never paid attention to any of the Godzilla films until now though.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe it's a reboot. Never paid attention to any of the Godzilla films until now though.

heh you and me both. nothing against it but my cousin tried getting me to watch them as a kid but it was just so bla because you had the bad english voiceovers over jaapanese actors. when i was like 8 i could eve notice that

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 frozen  Moderator

@jaken7: The 1998 film took place in the continuity of the Japanese films as they explicity refer to Godzilla appearing in Japan (but Godzilla Final Wars) revealed that it wasn't Godzilla.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: The first scene in that movie is little Zilla attacking a Japanese boat.They talked about him showing up in Japan, because that's what he did in the film. It wasn't alluding to years gone by. You're making huge jumps and wild assumptions. It was also the first time they'd seen Godzilla in that movie. Have you even watched it?

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@jaken7 said:

@frozen: The first scene in that movie is little Zilla attacking a Japanese boat.They talked about him showing up in Japan, because that's what he did in the film. It wasn't alluding to years gone by. You're making huge jumps and wild assumptions. It was also the first time they'd seen Godzilla in that movie. Have you even watched it?

I've watched them all, and it was solely a theory put forward. Did you know that Zilla also appears in Final Wars? And that the Japanese man refers to him as ''Gojira''?

The Godzilla movie GMK (2001) actually references the 1998 version by saying ''The Americans think they saw Godzilla in New York'' - If that was the first time Zilla appeared then why would reference it in a Japanese movie? Yes, I have seen it.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JakeN7

@frozen: The Japanese man in Godzilla (the one in the hospital I assume you're referring to) calls him Gojira because that's the Japanese name of course. They even make fun of that later on with the news reporter saying "Godzilla" and that Audrey woman goes "it's Gojira you moron."

Anyways, that's very interesting. Sounds more like a slight nod/joke/insult aimed at the American Godzilla, rather than official confirmation that they take place in the same universe. Why didn't the New Yorkers ever go, "hey Japan dealt with this thing before," or something? It's never alluded to a shared universe at all in the '98 movie.

Anyways, this new one is definitely a complete reboot.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@frozen said:

@jaken7 said:

I've watched them all, and it was solely a theory put forward. Did you know that Zilla also appears in Final Wars? And that the Japanese man refers to him as ''Gojira''?

The Godzilla movie GMK (2001) actually references the 1998 version by saying ''The Americans think they saw Godzilla in New York'' - If that was the first time Zilla appeared then why would reference it in a Japanese movie? Yes, I have seen it.

It's a pisstake that's why.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah, that one line he referenced definitely felt like that to me. Butt of the joke, taking the piss, whatever. It's not confirmation of official canon.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@jaken7 said:

@frozen: The Japanese man in Godzilla (the one in the hospital I assume you're referring to) calls him Gojira because that's the Japanese name of course. They even make fun of that later on with the news reporter saying "Godzilla" and that Audrey woman goes "it's Gojira you moron."

Anyways, that's very interesting. Sounds more like a slight nod/joke/insult aimed at the American Godzilla, rather than official confirmation that they take place in the same universe. Why didn't the New Yorkers ever go, "hey Japan dealt with this thing before," or something? It's never alluded to a shared universe at all in the '98 movie.

Anyways, this new one is definitely a complete reboot.

It could have been but they referenced the Americans seeing 'Godzilla' so it meant something. Zilla also appeared in Final Wars, I don't know why they didn't refer to Japan.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@jaken7 said:

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah, that one line he referenced definitely felt like that to me. Butt of the joke, taking the piss, whatever. It's not confirmation of official canon.

^ I agree, but it's worth nothing, that same Zilla (or a variant) actually appeared in a Japanese movie too.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@frozen said:

@jaken7 said:

^ I agree, but it's worth nothing, that same Zilla (or a variant) actually appeared in a Japanese movie too.

I see it as canon as well. sloppily done and retroactive but still canon. however i dont believe that the old movies are canon in the upcoming movie.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a reboot. They're jusy paying homage to the original film by bringing up 1954.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a remake of the original.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: It doesn't look like a reboot does it, I have the feeling those bits of the trailer are from a longer montage of Godzilla, the nuclear testing, the attack on Tokyo the death of Godzilla 1, the fact all this is white washed over by the government. Is this Godzilla just the Son of Godzilla all grown up? Time will tell, but I defiantly see where your coming from ;)

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/community/forums/topic/26337

While WB and legendary studios may see it as a reboot, I'm not sure Toho does, This is just for funding and it looks like it will kick of a new series of Godzilla films in Japan, Its no good saying this is defiantly a reboot if it just become one film in the series in Japan, after all they own it, this isn't a case of the rights being sold, it's just a partnership.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: The Japanese famously hated the American version and found it deeply offensive, so in thei cannon they refer to America as being stupid and recreated the American Godzilla as the weakest of the Kaiju and quickly kill it off... It was all very exciting back when the film came out.

And for everyone's enjoyment http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bIcExdpsEcQ the full film can be found on Veoh with a bit of hunting a great watch... Godzilla vs everything (Spoiler: with some help from a sustain moth)

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didnt know they had a godzilla vs king kong film until i saw the fight on youtube. if this new movie does good maybe they can reboot that also

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think maybe legendary and WB will elude to the 1954 film, (just rewatched) mentioning the sinking of fishing boats and the death of Godzilla 1 and the risk of creating a new Godzilla, The Tokyo incident can easily be covered up as Godzilla appeared in a storm, so if they do a recap it could be mostly hidden by that.

This way Toho can add it to the wobbly continuity of their films and WB and legendary can build a series of films without upsetting fans of the original... Best of both worlds...

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I know is this movie should be sick, I mean Heisenburg vs Godzilla!!!! oh baby, I'm calling the end he hooks zilla on meth and saves the city.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think maybe legendary and WB will elude to the 1954 film, (just rewatched) mentioning the sinking of fishing boats and the death of Godzilla 1 and the risk of creating a new Godzilla, The Tokyo incident can easily be covered up as Godzilla appeared in a storm, so if they do a recap it could be mostly hidden by that.

they have, in the trailer they talked about nuclear testing in the 1950s and from what i heard amongst huge zilla fans thats the original orgin

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didnt know they had a godzilla vs king kong film until i saw the fight on youtube. if this new movie does good maybe they can reboot that also

I just want to see a godzilla vs avengers thing

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@hillbillymorangie said:

they have, in the trailer they talked about nuclear testing in the 1950s and from what i heard amongst huge zilla fans thats the original orgin

They said in the trailer that it wasn't nuclear testing but the government trying to kill Godzilla

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission said:

f that. give me godzilla vs just the hulk

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CF12793

i've heard the movie isn't centered around Godzilla, but Godzilla and a bunch of other monsters attacking different cities.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly, its these two bits of information that fit into the first film (kinda) and make me wonder if the whole film will be truncated into the new one

Edit: bid looks like the whole films on YouTube, why did I bother putting the DVD in ;) also massive spoilers, if you haven't seen the original it's the easiest one to buy (or you can look on YouTube :/)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=21jNoeViVkk

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@frozen said:

@jaken7 said:

I see it as canon as well. sloppily done and retroactive but still canon. however i dont believe that the old movies are canon in the upcoming movie.

Yeah, I just did some research and Godzilla 1998 is canon to all the previous Godzilla movies. He was rebranded as just "Zilla" for the Final Wars film so he fit neatly in the canon U.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@avenging_x_bolt said:
@frozen said:

@jaken7 said:

Yeah, I just did some research and Godzilla 1998 is canon to all the previous Godzilla movies. He was rebranded as just "Zilla" for the Final Wars film so he fit neatly in the canon U.

Yes it was, yet nobody in New York questioned the Godzilla that showed up in Japan...

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 frozen  Moderator

@tazzmission said:

They already fought in a comic.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: reply, that's because Tri Star didn't own the rights it just rented them, for Tri Star it was a reboot, for Toho it was a insult, so when they got the rights back they used the fact that they owned them to take the pee out of the American Godzilla. Lol. So it's only been absorbed in Canon for comedy value, notice how its also cgi.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 frozen  Moderator

This way Toho can add it to the wobbly continuity of their films and WB and legendary can build a series of films without upsetting fans of the original... Best of both worlds...

This is interesting but I have to question, the new film sort of seems to take the approach that it is the first time Godzilla appeared?

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: you need to watch the 1954 film and the new trailer, there are so many cross overs, till you do I'm not going to argue. I could list the similarities but it would be spoilers and I'm trying not to ruin one of the best films of all time.

Or here

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4IVCEO4vX1o

(This is not the film and isn't copyrighted as far as I can tell, but please Admin delete my post if you think otherwise, I'm not trying to break rules)