Hiya. About a month ago (maybe longer) I came to CV with a problem concerning some family members. For the sake of safety from embarassment, I will be calling them Gary, Liz, and Kendra.
Here's some brief history, as a) I can't find the link to the OP, and b) to get you caught up.:
- Kendra is Gary's daughter. Liz is Gary's girlfriend.
- Liz got Kendra a job.
- Apparently Liz wasn't good at her job as a manager.
- Kendra got involved with some higher-ups in some sort of conspiracy to get Liz either fired or transferred.
- Kendra was forced to call corporate on Liz. She was forced to do so by a higher-up, so she couldn't refuse.
- Liz got fired and cried to Gary.
- Gary found out Kendra basically struck the nail in the coffin.
- Gary disowned Kendra.
- Kendra tried to apologize to Liz. Liz asked her to never speak/text/socialize with her ever again.
- Kendra despises Liz, and is upset with Gary.
- This was about a year and a half ago (hell, maybe even 2 years. It's been a while).
- Since then, nobody has made any effort to patch things up.
- Kendra has gotten engaged, and is constantly whining about how she thinks Gary hates her.
- I am Kendra's brother, and Gary's son.
Now that you're up to speed, let me explain the trouble (as if that's not troubling enough).
- Last week, it was brought to my attention that Gary and Liz got engaged.
- I found out via facebook.
- I am really pissed at Gary for this.
- Apparently, I was the last to find out, as my oldest sister Eliza, had known for about a month.
- Eliza had broken the news to Kendra weeks ago.
- Kendra and I highly disapprove of this marriage for different reasons.
- Kendra feels that this will forever keep Gary from speaking to her ever again.
- I think that marriage is awful altogether, as a piece of paper proves nothing of love. For all I know, Liz intends to marry, divorce, and take half of Gary's things. That and I found out through facebook. Dafuq is wrong with these people?
- Everything aside, Gary asked me to be his best man.
- I told him I'd think about it, but my inside voice is screaming "NO!"
- I also told him that before any of this marriage crap happens, things between them and Kendra need to be settled.
- He straight up told me that he wasn't the problem, and that's all on Kendra and Liz are the ones who need to do something.
- He also told me that Kendra would be invited, as he intends to go to Kendra's wedding.
- I tell Kendra this information (because I could NOT keep that away from her).
- She's pissed and has no intention of going to their wedding whatsoever.
So, I'm in a rut. How the hell do I handle this problem? Obviously, this is CV and nobody here is a therapist or something like that, but I need some outside advice, as this family is filled with idiots with gigantic egos....