#1 Posted by frogdog (3279 posts) - - Show Bio

Snoop to unleash new persona in 'boogie-funk' collaboration with Dâm-Funk, more in homage to Bootsy Collins than Godzilla

Reading on mobile? Listen to the track here

Snoop Lion has changed his name again. The one-time Snoop Dogg will be known as Snoopzilla for a forthcoming collaboration with Dâm-Funk.

Both the duo's team-up and their album will be called 7 Days of Funk. "I've had funk influences in my music my whole career," Snoopzilla said in a press release. "Dâm-Funk is cold. He's keeping the funk alive and I knew I had to get down with him."

Snoop is no stranger to collaborations – he recently released a track with Miley Cyrus, and has recorded with a host of artists around the world. He has even brought his sons into the recording fold as the Broadus Boyz.

Although Snoop has described himself before as "Godzilla flying on a pegasaurus", his new moniker has nothing to do with a skyscraper-sized Japanese lizard. Instead, the name Snoopzilla is a nod to the legendaryfunk bassist Bootsy Collins, who has recorded under the nickname Bootzilla.

Described as a "boogie-funk" act, Dâm-Funk is the one-man project of Los Angeles's Damon Riddick, who has released a handful of albums and singles with the storied indie hip-hop label Stones Throw Records. 7 Days Of Funk, like Dâm-Funk's earliest records, was recorded in his bedroom; there, he recalled, Snoop "laid down some of the smoothest harmonies and melodies I've ever heard".

"Snoop knew what I was thinking without me having to articulate it," Dâm-Funk said. "That's how you know when you gel artistically with someone... It's hip-hop, but you can also hear what we grew up on, from Zapp to Evelyn 'Champagne' King and Patrice Rushen."

7 Days of Funk features guest appearances by funk veteran Steve Arrington and Tha Dogg Pound MCs Kurupt and Daz Dillinger. The airy, squelchy lead single, Faden Away, is out now; the rest of the album drops on 10 December.

At least this sounds better than his crappy reggae gimmick.

#2 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio

Time for retirement.

He's burnt himself out on weed and other drugs, and alcohol.

#3 Posted by Samimista (20822 posts) - - Show Bio

and it's not even his final form! =O

#4 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Time for retirement.

He's burnt himself out on weed and other drugs, and alcohol.

#5 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

What's next, Snoop-Batman?

#6 Posted by DoctorThomasElliot (277 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista: "Behold my final form; Majin Snoop!!"

#7 Edited by Samimista (20822 posts) - - Show Bio

@doctorthomaselliot: Hehe! xD I'm surprised with the sudden name change since I think he just became Lion last year? =O

#8 Posted by laflux (16791 posts) - - Show Bio

That joke is too good for you not to have got it from Jensen Ackles >:)

#9 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

One question....what kind of weed is he smoking?! 'Cuz I want some!

#10 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25512 posts) - - Show Bio

One question....what kind of weed is he smoking?! 'Cuz I want some!

I think to this point, it has completely fried the n!ggas brain.

#11 Posted by Samimista (20822 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@samimista said:

That joke is too good for you not to have got it from Jensen Ackles >:)

How'd you know of this? =O Are you a spy? 0.0 I thought this was just an inside joke between Jensen and I! 0.0 Whenever we play Pokemon, he always jokes about the starters final evolution. D= You know, come to think of it, whenever we play Pokemon I do hear giggling coming out from the window...

#12 Posted by KaijuKingGojira (1410 posts) - - Show Bio

The last good thing I remember Snoop doing that I liked was Drop It Like It's Hot. He's so irrelevant now that it's just painfully obvious and annoying.

#13 Edited by russellmania77 (15664 posts) - - Show Bio

Rap is dead so what should snoop do? Easy, become godzilla

#14 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

...........I'm gonna go listen to Gin & Juice now, if y'all don't mind.

#15 Edited by _slim_ (13242 posts) - - Show Bio

Fo' shizzle.

#16 Posted by KaijuKingGojira (1410 posts) - - Show Bio

Snoopzilla - The monster that will destroy snoop dog's career.

#17 Posted by Nefarious (21243 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs to make up his mind.

#18 Posted by HumanRocket (8620 posts) - - Show Bio

Prince still had the best artist name change.

#19 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7355 posts) - - Show Bio

holy motha of god! ahahah

#20 Posted by _Braveheart_ (1845 posts) - - Show Bio

That guy is just crazy.

#21 Posted by DoomGuy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Snoop needs to put that reefer down. And then put his career down.

#22 Edited by CF12793 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even 5 seconds after I saw that picture, it was my profile pic on Facebook.

The Snoop Lion documentary is actually really good for people who haven't seen it. Good watch for anyone who's interested in Snoop's history with Deathrow Records and his relationship with 2pac and the Dogg Pound.

#23 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10586 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure what's wrong with him doing something different. All of the west coast were influenced by Funk so they pay Homage. (Anyone remember where the term G-funk came from?) I do agree he needs to retire though.

#24 Edited by King Saturn (224428 posts) - - Show Bio

Snoopzilla ! I can't wait to see the film...

#25 Posted by logy5000 (5923 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they'll make Super Saiyan Snoop.