#1 Posted by Songi (55 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Songi (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Been debating about which to get for my PS3. I hear both are open world, Far Cry 3 is $60 on PSN and Skyrim is also $60 retail. Which should I get?

#3 Posted by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

Skyrim is extremely overrated and, IIRC, runs horribly on PS3. Also, not much of the DLC for it is out on that console.

#4 Posted by skooks (205 posts) - - Show Bio

I was going to say Skyrim is the better game in terms of replay value until I saw that you'd be picking it up on PS3. Skyrim is a pos on PS3, at times the frame rate drops to such an extent that the game becomes virtually unplayable. So if PS3 is your system, I'd say go with Far Cry 3.

#5 Posted by TitsteR (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Far Cry is an action open world platform with minor RPG elements. If you prefer a major RPG role game, you'd better choose Skyrim.

#6 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Skyrim and was gonna mention its mostly due to mods, then I realised you said PS3, so Far Cry 3 is probably a better option. (Citra is haaawt)

#7 Posted by Inverno (13330 posts) - - Show Bio

Skyrim has a much better replay value due to the fact of the several different guilds, quests and races you can play as, and also your stance on the Civil War. Also, the landscape is huge and has countless dungeons to explore. Not to say Far Cry isn't bad, its just as fun.

#8 Posted by Captain_Yesterday (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@Walzo: Actually, they just released Dawnguard for PS3 yesterday which was the only one still not released on PS3.

It's also half price for the first week, by the way.

And answer to OP is Skyrim, although I find them the game a little too different to give a fair and accurate comparison.

#9 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

Far Cry 3 was more fun for me, but I guess Skyrim's replay value is way better since you can definitely have a unique experience each time you play.

#10 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

Skyrim's replay value is not better. You guys are confusing replay value with game playability. Game Playability is the value of interest to continue playing until the very end or until everything is mastered. Replay Value is the interest of playing the game again from beginning to end regardless of how many times you've beaten it.

For example:

Super Mario Bros replay value is 10/10..... You can play the game and beat it under 1 hour. But you can end up playing the game 20 times and beating it 20 times a day and repeat the next day and the next day after that and so on. That equals its replay.

Final Fantasy XII's replay value is 3/10.... Once you beat it, the chances of you playing it from beginning to end again is unlikely granted that all of those that needed to be mastered or unlock is already achieved.

Back in days during the old GamePro video game ratings it rated games like so:

• Graphics
  • Sound
  • Controls
  • Gameplay
  • Replay Value

Notice Gameplay is bolded and underline. gameplay does not equal replay... It can contribute to replayability, but they are not by any means the same thing.

My opinion on Skyrim:

• Gameplay: 8/10
  • Replay Value: 2/10

My Opinion on Far Cry 3:

• Gameplay: 9/10
  • Replay Value: 6/10
#11 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion: A bit judgemental of you thinking people don't know what replay value is just because they don'y agree with your own opinion, isn't it?

Don't get me wrong. I've re-played FC3 far more times than I did any Elder Scroll game but saying people confuse replayability to playability (especially in acommunity filled with serious gamers) is a bit too arrogant. I know a lot of people that have replayed the damn game over and over, trying to use different characters and choices and factions just to see how things turn out. And I'm not even talking about a minority. They were hardcore gamers. Do I agree with them? No. I think it's a waste of time. But are they entitled to their own preference? Absolutely.

#12 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Sure you can call it as you like. An opinion or preference... But get this. What make them or any PC based title have replayability? It's the MODs, right? Yes. Now ask yourself if these gamers would still mess around - Not play, mind you; but mess around with Skyrim if it did not have any updated MODs? I don't think so. But sure there are people who would use these MMORPG as a medium to interact and use the game as a chatroom, but does that make it a replay value? See, my argument still stands regardless of preference because preference doesn't have anything to do with replayability.

I for example am a traditional RPG gamer. I like games like Suikoden, Final Fantasy 1 through 9, Wild Arms, War Song, Arcana, and Dragon Warrior.... But just because I like these games with a passion, would it mean I would rate them all a high replay value? No. These games are great! But just like any RPG, the replayability is quite low.

Why? Well here's another analogy:

After reading a 500 page book (from beginning to end), would you read it again the following day? or would you read it later on in life?

#13 Posted by MonsterStomp (19880 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Far Cry 3, but never found myself playing the damn thing more than four times. I havn't played Skyrim, but I'm sure it has more replay value based on it being a RPG.

#14 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20429 posts) - - Show Bio

Skyrim is a lot more open, but Far Cry 3 has more replay value because First Person Shooters are a lot more popular, has a fairly open world to explore in its own regards, and has Multi-Player (albeit not the best to be honest).

#15 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Skyrim is a lot more open, but Far Cry 3 has more replay value because First Person Shooters are a lot more popular, has a fairly open world to explore in its own regards, and has Multi-Player (albeit not the best to be honest).

THIS! And yes, Far Cry is overall fun. Besides, storywise, it really takes you in the deep end unlike Skyrim's very shallow plot. The character development really brings you in. The game can get really emotional due to this.

#16 Posted by skooks (205 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion said:

Skyrim's replay value is not better. You guys are confusing replay value with game playability. Game Playability is the value of interest to continue playing until the very end or until everything is mastered. Replay Value is the interest of playing the game again from beginning to end regardless of how many times you've beaten it.

For example:

Super Mario Bros replay value is 10/10..... You can play the game and beat it under 1 hour. But you can end up playing the game 20 times and beating it 20 times a day and repeat the next day and the next day after that and so on. That equals its replay.

Final Fantasy XII's replay value is 3/10.... Once you beat it, the chances of you playing it from beginning to end again is unlikely granted that all of those that needed to be mastered or unlock is already achieved.

• Graphics
  • Sound
  • Controls
  • Gameplay
  • Replay Value

Notice Gameplay is bolded and underline. gameplay does not equal replay... It can contribute to replayability, but they are not by any means the same thing.

My opinion on Skyrim:

My Opinion on Far Cry 3:

Please don't be so condescending to people just because you have a different opinion to others. I think most of us know damn well what replay value means. We are comparing two games in this thread, just two. So if someone thinks Skyrim has better replay value but you personally think Far Cry 3 does, that's because we have a difference of opinion, not because we don't understand what something means.

#17 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@TitsteR said:

Far Cry is an action open world platform with minor RPG elements. If you prefer a major RPG role game, you'd better choose Skyrim.

#18 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Far Cry 3 is a great game, no doubt in my mind. I enjoy Skyrim so much more though. From the environment to the music to the visuals. Once I finished FC3 I felt no need to launch it again. I think I have around 5 different character saves is Skyrim right now.

#19 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

@skooks said:

@TheSecondOpinion said:

For example:

• Graphics
  • Sound
  • Controls
  • Gameplay
  • Replay Value

My opinion on Skyrim:

My Opinion on Far Cry 3:

Please don't be so condescending to people just because you have a different opinion to others. I think most of us know damn well what replay value means. We are comparing two games in this thread, just two. So if someone thinks Skyrim has better replay value but you personally think Far Cry 3 does, that's because we have a difference of opinion, not because we don't understand what something means.

You're missing my point. This is the second time someone has misunderstood the point I was making.

An opinion or a preference doesn't determine replay value. Genre does. That is my point.

FPS has higher reply value because that's what the game was created to do REGARDLESS OF PREFERENCE.

• Action games
  • Fighter games
  • Puzzle games
  • Platform games
  • Tactical games
  • Racing games
  • Sports games
  • Dancing games

All of these games were created to have replayability.

RPGs or Interactive movie games such as Heavy Rain are created to have an impact on the players memories..... LIKE A BOOK! They were not intended to have replay value because they are RPGS.

Test yourself out.

1. List your 5 favorite genre:
  2. Name 1 titles of each genre
  3. Name how many times you beat the game in a years period of time
  4. Your results will be the replay value

Like I said again.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PREFERENCE.

IT IS NOT MY OPINION

It is a fact.

#20 Posted by Setherial (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Far Cry 3 for sure. Skyrim is an overpriced and overrated hiking simulator.

#21 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion said:

RPGs or Interactive movie games such as Heavy Rain are created to have an impact on the players memories..... LIKE A BOOK! They were not intended to have replay value because they are RPGS.

By that logic, books aren't re-readable because they are supposed to have an impact on memories, which makes no sense at all. We relive memories all the time, why wouldn't we re-experience something that gave us fond memories. Oh and by the way I did your "test" and my most played game in a year's time was the first Mass Effect, which is not an FPS.

#22 Posted by _Zombie_ (10462 posts) - - Show Bio

Far Cry 3. It doesn't even come close. I got bored of skyrim after i beat dawnguard. I can still go back and play Far Cry 3 and have a fckin blast.

#23 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion said:

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PREFERENCE.

IT IS NOT MY OPINION

It is a fact.

It's your OWN ANALYSIS. It is fact FROM YOUR PERSPECTIVE. Could it be from the majority's POV? Perhaps. But it's all about preference. Do people read epic books just after reading them? The answer is yes. It's all about getting to do the journey all over again. People dictate a game's replay value based on their own liking of the game. Not all prefer re-doing FPS games. A lot of people still do want to play lengthly RPGs right after finishing it. That makes them deviants. Does that make them wrong? No.So when people say they see Skyrim's replay value higher than Farcry, that does not make them wrong. Just different from you.

#24 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Setherial said:

Far Cry 3 for sure. Skyrim is an overpriced and overrated BUGGY hiking simulator.

Fixed!

#25 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake said:

@TheSecondOpinion said:

By that logic, books aren't re-readable because they are supposed to have an impact on memories, which makes no sense at all. We relive memories all the time, why wouldn't we re-experience something that gave us fond memories. Oh and by the way I did your "test" and my most played game in a year's time was the first Mass Effect, which is not an FPS.

Don't get me wrong. Books can be re-read, however; there is a time duration before you can read it again. Here, let's be honest here. Let's say we read Harry Potter: and The Sorcerer's Stone. Let's say it takes us about 1 week to finish that book. (1 week, because in reality, some of use have work or school and what not). At the 7th day of that week, we finish the book.... Now here's the question. What is the likely hood of you restarting to re-read that book from beginning to end at the time you've finished it? Be honest now. As soon as you finish the book, you are going to close it. Have the plots sink away deeper in your brain and savor the moments of the memories. You are not going to re~read the whole book again.... Well at least not at the same moment when you closed the book. The same is applied to RPG gamers.

Ask any hardcore RPG gamer here like how many times that they have played Final Fantasy VII from beginning to end in a years period?

Now let's turn the tables around and ask any hardcore FPS gamers how many times they played DOOM or Golden Eye from begging to end?

Now let's jump into another genre and ask all the hardcore Fighter gamers how many times they played and beaten games like Tekken, Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat from beginning to end.

and so on....

The results will be different, but that is not because of the gamer's preference, but the game itself.

I can throw in a logical guess though:

• Most RPG gamers is likely to replay games like Final Fantasy at least 2 times in a single year
  • Most FPS gamers is likely to replay games like Black Ops at least 10 to 20 times in a single year
  • Most Fighter gamers is likely to replay games like Marvel vs Capcom 2 at least 500 times in a single year.
  • Most gamers in the 80's played and beat and replayed again to beat games like Tetris and Super Mario Bros over 1000 times a year.

In comparison... It is VERY UNLIKELY... For a DEDICATED RPG gamer to play and finish a game like Skyrim.... 20 times in a year, let alone 1000 times in a year.

It's just unrealistic.... And this is coming from a dedicated RGPer.

#26 Edited by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe Songi (the OP) is an RPG gamer because his avatar comes from an RPG..... So let's ask him...

: How many times have you beaten Legend of Legaia?

#27 Posted by Songi (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm...lots of people seem to like Skyrim, but I guess I'm better off getting it for the PC if I do decide to go with it since the PS3 version apparently has a whole lot of bugs.

@TheSecondOpinion said:

I believe Songi (the OP) is an RPG gamer because his avatar comes from an RPG..... So let's ask him...

: How many times have you beaten Legend of Legaia?

Probably 15 to 20 new and completed playthroughs in the 10 years I've had it.

#28 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Songi: 20 times? Deeeeyyyyym! Now that's badass! I barely beat it once. I even had to research in EGM the movelists! Hahaha!

#29 Posted by Songi (55 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

@Songi: 20 times? Deeeeyyyyym! Now that's badass! I barely beat it once. I even had to research in EGM the movelists! Hahaha!

I also pick it up and play it every so often too just to play a boss fight or something. It's probably my favorite RPG because I love fighting games and it reminds me a lot of Tekken (blended with Pokemon and Final Fantasy). I didn't like the sequel for the PS2 though.

#30 Posted by skooks (205 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion said:

@spinningbirdcake said:

@TheSecondOpinion said:

Don't get me wrong. Books can be re-read, however; there is a time duration before you can read it again. Here, let's be honest here. Let's say we read Harry Potter: and The Sorcerer's Stone. Let's say it takes us about 1 week to finish that book. (1 week, because in reality, some of use have work or school and what not). At the 7th day of that week, we finish the book.... Now here's the question. What is the likely hood of you restarting to re-read that book from beginning to end at the time you've finished it? Be honest now. As soon as you finish the book, you are going to close it. Have the plots sink away deeper in your brain and savor the moments of the memories. You are not going to re~read the whole book again.... Well at least not at the same moment when you closed the book. The same is applied to RPG gamers.

Ask any hardcore RPG gamer here like how many times that they have played Final Fantasy VII from beginning to end in a years period?

Now let's turn the tables around and ask any hardcore FPS gamers how many times they played DOOM or Golden Eye from begging to end?

Now let's jump into another genre and ask all the hardcore Fighter gamers how many times they played and beaten games like Tekken, Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat from beginning to end.

and so on....

The results will be different, but that is not because of the gamer's preference, but the game itself.

• Most RPG gamers is likely to replay games like Final Fantasy at least 2 times in a single year
  • Most FPS gamers is likely to replay games like Black Ops at least 10 to 20 times in a single year
  • Most Fighter gamers is likely to replay games like Marvel vs Capcom 2 at least 500 times in a single year.
  • Most gamers in the 80's played and beat and replayed again to beat games like Tetris and Super Mario Bros over 1000 times a year.

In comparison... It is VERY UNLIKELY... For a DEDICATED RPG gamer to play and finish a game like Skyrim.... 20 times in a year, let alone 1000 times in a year.

I don't even know where to begin with this. I mean for a start, you're attempting to pass off your wildly bogus numbers as fact in order to back up your argument, which is paper thin at best. I have to wonder now, do YOU actually have a proper understanding of replay value? Because it seems to me that you have your own version wrapped up in a neat little bow. And that's fine, that's what works for you. But for others, not so much. Your argument that no one is going to re-read a big book after finishing it is rubbish for starters. You have absolutely no way of knowing someone's preference. I'd imagine plenty of people re-read books or replay games straight after finishing them simply because they want more of that world/experience and they want it now. Doesn't matter how big the book or game, or the genre, it just matters how that person feels about it. And the same applies to RPG gamers. I've been using video game websites and message boards since my teens, and I've lost count of the number of people who play the same game over and over because they can't get enough. And yes, that includes RPGs.

Replay value has a lot of factors involved. Most gamers are going to look at experience, playable characters, game length, optional hidden parts of the game, choices you make through the game, multiple endings etc. ALL of these things are factors when looking at replay value. And when looking at those factors, Skyrim will trump Far Cry 3 EVERY time. I repeat once more: it is absolutely down to personal preference. Are you looking to play the same game purely because you enjoyed it, or are you looking to play the same game because you enjoyed it AND because it can give you a different experience the second time around?

No, I haven't missed your point or misunderstood you, I am simply disagreeing with you, something you have failed to grasp throughout this entire thread. You are not an authority on games, you're just another person with an opinion.

#31 Posted by callsignneptune (112 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion said:

Test yourself out.

1. List your 5 favorite genre:
  2. Name 1 titles of each genre
  3. Name how many times you beat the game in a years period of time
  4. Your results will be the replay value

Are these my chores for the week, dad?

Get a grip and stop being so frustratingly arrogant and condescending. Like everyone else has said, all that tripe you've been spewing is your opinion. No one has misunderstood you, at all. Ever.

#32 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion said:

@spinningbirdcake said:

@TheSecondOpinion said:

and so on....

My memory is too good to read books more than once. Usually I have most of the content memorized and I can source what happened in which book (if it's in a series) and usually get the chapter and the relative point in the chapter in which it happened.

I probably didn't replay Final Fantasy 7 for at least a year or two after I played it. One of the nice things about RPGs like that though, is you always have different dialogue options, and different content in game with different character combinations.

• RPGs are variable in replay value. Games like Final Fantasy (all but 3/6), Breath of Fire, Secret of Mana, Castlevania, Secret of the Stars, Suikoden, and so many others you are correct, 1-2 times in a year is probably about right. However, there are games like Chrono Trigger, FF3/6, Fable, Black & White, Elder Scrolls, and other games like it have much more replay value. I think I played B&W and Fable at least five times through back to back. The reason is because there are so many more choices that affect much more of the game. Things like that can give those games much more replay value. Especially if a lot of the game changes with the choices you make.
  • FPS and Fighter games obviously get a lot of replay value because it's a competition game. The number of nights I got drunk and played Super Smash Brothers (any of the series, from N64-Wii) with a bunch of friends is too many to count.
  • High Scores were a big thing all the way through the 90's, and gave many games replay value before multiplayer options were really available.

I'd say the amount of replay value in a shooter is dependable on the type of person playing it. I like shooters, and I used to play them daily. However, I only played a few matches at a time, compared to the amount I played Morrowind, I think it'd fall in comparison.

Also, your premise is a little flawed. Though a shooter game has replay value for all of 1-3 years, most RPGs survive for decades. Once the shooter becomes obsolete, people stop playing it. However, there are still dedicated RPG players playing Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3/6, Final Fantasy 7, Breath of Fire III, Fable, Fable II, Black and White (1 & 2), Evil Genius, and so many other RPGs. It's the biggest thing an RPG has going for it. Then, of course, there are MMORPGs...

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#33 Posted by Pwok21 (2459 posts) - - Show Bio

For PC: Skyrim.

For Console: Far Cry.

#34 Posted by Kamikaze_ (901 posts) - - Show Bio

@Walzo said:

Skyrim is extremely overrated and, IIRC, runs horribly on PS3. Also, not much of the DLC for it is out on that console.

All the dlc is out

#35 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion: Well Steam says I have about 20hrs played in Far Cry 3 and I don't see myself ever going back to it this year. Steam says I have about 350hrs in Skyrim and I will immediately come back to it the second they announce more content for it. So I don't think your theory is as absolute as you might think.