Sit down and rap for a moment....

Knightly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Knightly1

So, I have an honest question that I would love to be answered: Is there such a thing as doing good for the sake of doing good? I mean, I had a long talk with my friend and I can't see such a thing as being true. I mean, everything we do, seems to be so we, ourselves, can achieve something. Wouldn't this be selfish/
It's an everyday thing to hear and see the words good and evil. But, if I may ask, what for you constitutes what should be good and what should be evil?  To me it seems to be a personal thing, as what one may call evil could be good to another and vice versa.
These are two different questions, but if you answer one I will be grateful.

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By velle37

Doing good for the sake of doing good would be an existential principle. Poeple condition themselves to believe that they do this, but doing "good" is always to acomplish something else. Even if that something else happens to be "good" that wouldn't be the sole reason for the existence of their action. So no. 

"Selfish" is a subjective term, laced with connotations for deterrence of egotistical behavior in favor of the connotations considered "selfless". Yet taken to the extreme this is utter idiocy. There must be concern for self in order for self to even exist in the first place to help others. "If I'm put her to help others, what are the others here for?" Ideally everyone should help everyone else. But ignorant statutes are placed upon principles unnecessarily leading to confusion and fallacies. 

Good and evil are again subjective to he present perspective. An absolute evil or an absolute good can only exist in principle to continuous subjective perception. (The senses get a taste of this by being as similar as they are across the board of humans [music, food, colors] but much of human perception is also skewed by conditioning. Even going further into the roots of the development of life, the very same mathematical patterns that formulate the structure of a human's veins, is the same design for the veins of plants, the same way that humans don't like things too hot or too cold, is tha same way that life cannot even thrive on this planet if their is not climatic balance with the sun, keeping conditions away from the extremes. The design is so deep, that human blood has the same acidity as the ocean, and there is just about the same ratio of water to solids in our bodies as there is of the water on this planet to the "earth" that makes up this planet). There is a form of objective absolute good, but it is an elusive yet eternal principle; not something that can be easilty grasped and objectified.
Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hellos

Generally I run around doing what I believe to be good often, for bugs and human alike when I can, to the point of looking like a damn fool trying to catch moths and spiders to toss outside so certain individuals that are not so friendly to such creatures don't crush them.  
I'm and odd guy in general though.

Although Velle37 wrote something far better, my take on Good and Evil is a simple one.
Good and Evil isn't so black and white. Different cultures, different rules, Good and Bad are set by said rules of the masses, leaving from said social norm is bad / evil in some cases, etc etc. 

Humanity's history consists of it's hyprocrisy and good / evil switches.