• 57 results
#1 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Post what you think is the single most beautiful piece of music ever written.

I'd say that this is up there.

#2 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

This song features a lot of buildup and intensity. It also has a happy ending musically speaking. What more could you want?

#3 Posted by TotalBalance (708 posts) - - Show Bio

The third movement of Beethoven's moonlight sonata.

Beautiful song accompanied by your classical crazy pianist.

Honorary mention:

#4 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh boy that's a tough one, too many for me.

Here's one that I think is really hits the mark though:

#5 Posted by mikethekiller (8157 posts) - - Show Bio

There is way to much music out there for me to identify the single most beautiful piece out there.

#6 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by ARMIV2 (7651 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by stambo42 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Disregarding the ugly anime drawing, this is the best version I could find on Youtube. You said written, not recorded... it's not the writing per se that makes these so transcendent:

#10 Posted by jhazzroucher (13929 posts) - - Show Bio

It's All Coming Back To Me Now by Celine Dion

#11 Posted by Immortal777 (5867 posts) - - Show Bio

I fancy most of Frederic Chopin's work.

#12 Edited by kuonphobos (4727 posts) - - Show Bio

Beethoven's Ninth Symphony

This was a particularly brilliant depiction of it's origin. Especially 5:07 on

#13 Edited by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

I rank Mozart in higher esteem than all other classical composers combined. Not because everything he touched was gold, but rather because he has a consistent amount of great musical pieces in more genres than almost any composer I know of. This guy wrote concertos, operas, divertimentos, marches, symphonies, serenades, quartets, quintets, trios, duos, AND sonatas. All in 35 years! What is amazing is that you can find gems in all of his genres, which shows his consistent skill.

By no means is all his music awesome, some composers kick his butt royally in certain aspects; but the fact that Mozart has quality and quantity definitely ranks him right at the top for me.

#14 Posted by The Stegman (20718 posts) - - Show Bio

Hallelujah, especially when sang by Allison Crowe 

#15 Posted by Inverno (12821 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (27266 posts) - - Show Bio

"The only dream I ever have is the surface of the sun, every time I shut my eyes it's always the same"

#17 Posted by Billy Batson (56850 posts) - - Show Bio

BB

#18 Posted by Chaos Prime (10581 posts) - - Show Bio

This!! & a very fine version here from South Korea.

#19 Posted by pikahyper (10346 posts) - - Show Bio

#20 Posted by Pyrogram (32218 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the song and meaning in this -

#21 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Kingjohnrocks (1895 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Referee (5589 posts) - - Show Bio

Pachelbel Canon in D

#24 Posted by Liara (421 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Referee (5589 posts) - - Show Bio

Please listen

#26 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

@Referee: Satch is a crazy guitar player.

#27 Posted by Samimista (20172 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by ragdollpurps (15570 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

@FalconPuuunch: Dude I love The Smiths.

@minigunman123: You just sent me straight to my dvd collection to watch that.

As for me this has been in my head recently. I'd pick something else if you asked me a week from now. Not even the whole song, but it's the best part. Pretty good when I like half a song more than a lot of full songs.

#30 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

Epic. I just hope the superman movie isn't a total dud like they have been since after the Reeve days. The song seems like it's emphasizing that Superman is the last of his kind, and also probably something of a messiah figure for Earth.

Too often films have great soundtracks but terrible plot (tron legacy for example).

#31 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

The Return to Innocence

by Enigma

Is epic.

#33 Edited by X35 (5972 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever Purps said.

#34 Posted by akbogert (3150 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

Oh, but everything Jim Steinman writes is fantastic. "Total Eclipse of the Heart." "Holdin' Out for a Hero." "I Would Do Anything for Love" (actually, a lot of Meatloaf's music). How can you pick just one?

Heh, but really, this is a pretty loaded title, as music is multifaceted and as for a long time was presented without lyrics -- the notes themselves were the sole language. Some might argue no one will ever beat the classics in terms of structural beauty. Others would argue that the lyrics of modern music resonate so deeply with their own experiences as to make the other music seem foreign and stale. Point being: this is a philosophically absurd thread. But boy is it great for putting together a playlist.

#35 Posted by ragdollpurps (15570 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

Whatever Purps said.

Nyehehe. >:3

#36 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

#38 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

This entire album.

#39 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer this interpretation of Adagio in G Minor for Strings and Organ by Tomaso Albinoni - the violins shatter me.

This:

And this:

#40 Posted by MrDirector786 (43131 posts) - - Show Bio

This. Nothing out there can possibly be better than this masterpiece, and everybody who hate it is just wrong and doesn't know what they're talking about. :P

#41 Posted by God_Spawn (35978 posts) - - Show Bio

This is mine.

#42 Posted by Rogan2112 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how to post the Youtube thing but mine is Louis Armstrong's "It's a Wonderful World"

#43 Posted by Rogan2112 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

@Referee: freakin' great song

#44 Posted by thespideyguy (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

i fancy benny goodman

#45 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo said:

Epic. I just hope the superman movie isn't a total dud like they have been since after the Reeve days. The song seems like it's emphasizing that Superman is the last of his kind, and also probably something of a messiah figure for Earth.

Too often films have great soundtracks but terrible plot (tron legacy for example).

Yeah... And that picture of him makes him look like he has the biggest forehead ever .-.

#46 Posted by Naamah (78 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite

#47 Posted by ChaosBlazer (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

"The only dream I ever have is the surface of the sun, every time I shut my eyes it's always the same"

definitely a good one, Sunshine as a great movie, partly thanks to this score

#48 Posted by ChaosBlazer (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake said:

@FalconPuuunch: Dude I love The Smiths.

@minigunman123: You just sent me straight to my dvd collection to watch that.

As for me this has been in my head recently. I'd pick something else if you asked me a week from now. Not even the whole song, but it's the best part. Pretty good when I like half a song more than a lot of full songs.

lol that is Gandalf's lament, right?

#49 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChaosBlazer: Yep. That's the "Fly you fools" piece. "GAAAANNNDDDAAAAAALLLLFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!"

#50 Posted by jhazzroucher (13929 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Oh, but everything Jim Steinman writes is fantastic. "Total Eclipse of the Heart." "Holdin' Out for a Hero." "I Would Do Anything for Love" (actually, a lot of Meatloaf's music). How can you pick just one?

Heh, but really, this is a pretty loaded title, as music is multifaceted and as for a long time was presented without lyrics -- the notes themselves were the sole language. Some might argue no one will ever beat the classics in terms of structural beauty. Others would argue that the lyrics of modern music resonate so deeply with their own experiences as to make the other music seem foreign and stale. Point being: this is a philosophically absurd thread. But boy is it great for putting together a playlist.

I haven't heard "holdin out for the hero" but i'm gonna check that out. : )

Just in case you didn't know, Mr Steinman also composed the song " Making Love Out of Nothing At All" which was popularized by Air Supply. I also like another song recorded by Celine "Is NOthing Sacred Anymore" which is also created BY Jim.

I love some Steinman's compositions including the ones you've mentioned.

I fell in love with It's All Coming back To Me Now because I love the melody, the lyrics and the instruments used, especially the piano. It's my favorite song of all time and I actually wished I was the one who made the song. : )

It's great to know you also love Steinman's songs. : )