Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

CONTINUED FROM PART 1

We see a detachment from Del Toro and Hopkins in this scene, obviously stemming from some kind of negative history. They obviously don't approve of each others lives, even if Sir John's voice does hold some guilt to it. And this makes sense, as it appears that Sir John seems to believe that Lawrence betrayed him by never returning to Blackmoor until tragedy struck. As for Lawrence's angle?...Well, we'll get to that later.

Sir John Talbot: We don't have many visitors

Lawrence Talbot: You seem well.

Sir John Talbot:...Often wondered what you looked like. You've come about your brother, have you?

Lawrence Talbot: Yes...Ms Conliffe learned that I was in London...And sent me a letter saying that Ben had disappeared. Thought I'd offer my help in any which way I can...

Sir John Talbot: Yes, that's a splendid idea...Lawrence, a splendid idea. Too late I'm afraid. Unfortunatley, you're brother's body was found in a ditch by the priory road yesterday morning. I assume, you have something to wear for the funeral?

The coldness in Sir John's voice is simply perfect, as is the subtle tragedy in Lawrence's face. These men, both of them, are among people who have faced an unimaginable amount of horrific tragedy. There is sadness in their voice, but the way they say it...It's almost like they knew that there was nothing but heartbreak like this in their lives. Needless to say, it's a far cry from the happy, cheerful characters of the 1941 Wolf Man, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, as this is less a detraction and more an improvement on that original piece. Lawrence goes to a butcher shop where the body is being kept, and even with hardly any dialogue, Del Toro really does well in this scene, using his facial movements and expressions to show the despair and sadness in Lawrence at having missed his whole adult life and not being there for his brother. As reviewreviewer1 says, we can really see how he cared for his brother without the need of an unnecessary flashback. When a film can pull that off, it's really a testament to the strong acting of it's cast. Lawrence retreats to a tavern to drink his sorrow away, as we get to hear more about the personality of the Talbot family.

Villager #1: Maybe it wasn't the beast at all? But a cunning murderer...Someone who bore a grudge against one of these men, to misdirect the authorities, he kills the men,...and then he tears up the bodies to make it look like the wild beast was responsible.

Villager #2: Ridiculous! Who will go to such lengths?

Waiter: What about that gypsie's dancing bear, he could have done it.

Villager #1: That mangy thing? Kill three men I doubt it!

Vicar: I saw the bodies with my own eyes. Unnatural wounds. Most unnatural. Made by a felon creature I'd say.

Waiter: Damn Gypsies, wandering the countryside, bringing their deviltry with them. They show up and upon two weeks later this happens! My guess is Ben Talbot went to their camp...to whack it off with a gypsy whore. The bear gets hold of him, and they dump what's left of him in the ditch.

Mysterious Villager: It's got nothing to do with the Gypsies. Twenty-five years ago now,...my Pa found him...Quinn Noddy and all his flock...Brains, and guts, and God knows what, lying all over the moor for a quarter mile. And Quinn, the look on his face...like he'd be eaten alive. Whatever did it...Was big... had claws, and didn't mind a load of buckshot. After that...my Pa went home and melted down my Ma's wedding spoons, and casts silver bullets of them. Wouldn't leave the house on the full moon, from that night.

Villager #1: Ha! He thought it was a "werewolf"!

Waiter: I still say that bear's to blame.

Villager #2: You'd think the Talbots would've learned their lesson, eh? Consorting with the Romas.

Villager #1: Right. Remember that black-eyed Salome the old man married? Went crazy up there in the ward, killed herself. She was a gypo whore queen or some such, wasn't she?

Lawrence Talbot: Yes. She was crazy...For coming to this shithole you call a town.

Vicar: What did he say?

Villager #1: You're in your drink boy!

(Lawrence throws wine at villager)

Reviewreviewer1 and I both agree that this scene is also done incredibly well, as it shows that even before he is bitten, Lawrence is the subject of the racism and cruelty of the town. The social prejudices of their relations with the gypsies very much make the Talbot's the "odd family" in Blackmoor, in the eyes of the people. The town is so corrupt even the Vicar does not take a stand against this cruelty. Thus we go back to the film's theme about contradictions, and the clash of worlds. On one hand, Lawrence is very civilized and well loved: A rich thespian from London. On the other hand, his racial status makes him an easy target of Blackmoor's ignorance. Even more interesting is how Lawrence's roles fit in with his relationship with Gwen, but we'll get to that later. (These were conclusions that we both came to, me and Double R)

We go back to Lawrence and his father at the dinner table, Gwen approaching to dine with them.

Sir John Talbot: Good evening. Please join us. It's good to see you up and about. Refreshed, recovered and as enchanting as ever. Please, join us.

Lawrence Talbot: Good evening, Miss Conliffe.

Gwen Conliffe: Good evening...

Sir John Talbot: What a pleasant surprise. May I recommend the baked eel? Singh has outdone himself this evening, haven't you, Singh?

Gwen Conliffe: Something plainer...Thank you.

Sir John Talbot: I was a moment ago telling my son that the telegraph system does reach us here in lonely old Blackmoor.

Lawrence Talbot: Blackmoor does seem rather the same as I left it.

Sir John Talbot: How so?

Lawrence Talbot: The villagers, they still have the same wild ideas.

Sir John Talbot: Yes, well, they're a provincial lot, I must say, ignorant and superstitious to a worldly man such as yourself. We're savages at the ends of the earth

Gwen Conliffe: I didn't intend to start a squabble.

Sir John Talbot: All I'm saying is that you dismiss the natural man at your peril. That's all.

Lawrence Talbot I find your insecurities quite strange, Father.

Sir John Talbot: No, you mistake that for my self-awareness. And how comfortable are you in your skin, may I ask?

Lawrence Talbot: One can get used to anything.

There is a deep sense of tragedy in this scene, as Lawrence and his father engage in a sort of gentleman's battle. It really is quite ugly when a father and a son are so divided, they're relationship so broken. Both of them have experienced nothing but tragedy from each other, and it is clear they also don't approve of each other's lives. Del Toro and Hopkins do a great job portraying guilt, anger and frustration about each other in this wonderful dinner scene. I also love how Gwen plays a role almost as the peace keeper between these two men, an outsider gazing in on the unspoken truths of the Talbot family.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

BUMP