#1 Edited by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously breast cancer is a tremendous problem, but it confuses the hell out of me why we dedicate an entire month to one specific cancer while we neglect mentioning others especially, the just as prevalent for men, prostate cancer.

There's far more deadlier cancers than breast cancer as well.

I watch football and it's all about the pink ribbons and "awareness" yet the companies that broadcast the game do nothing to actually speak about preventative action and actual symptoms. It just seems like it's a hot cause right now and they capitalize on it from a PR standpoint. I also think if those in football wanted to make the most impact, they would raise awareness for prostate and colon cancer as they are highly prevalent amongst men, and who are they kidding, men make up the vast majority of their market.

Why isn't October just National Cancer Awareness month? Each day or week could highlight a different cancer and raise awareness about it.

#2 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

We are all aware. No more "awareness" anything.

Just make the cures.

#3 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (23302 posts) - - Show Bio

Just make the cures.

That's one of the points of awareness month. To raise money that helps to find the cure.

#4 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011: exactly

And also to get people educated on how to look out for it.

#5 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5512 posts) - - Show Bio

It should be, but probably won't because you know, double standards.

#6 Posted by Wolfrazer (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

I kept thinking of making a similar thread to this asking why Breast Cancer just seem to be singled out, why not all types? XD Guess ya beat me to it.

#7 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

Breast cancer doesn't even kill the most people a year right? Why focus on it instead of distributing the money across all research organizations, with all types of cancer?

#8 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17596 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is ridiculous on how Prostate cancer awareness month is overlooked. Which is in September. But I agree it is a good question as to why focus it all one specific cancer.

#9 Edited by Wolfrazer (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is ridiculous on how Prostate cancer awareness month is overlooked. Which is in September. But I agree it is a good question as to why focus it all one specific cancer.

What? O.o Didn't even know there was one in September lol. XD

#10 Posted by russellmania77 (14606 posts) - - Show Bio

trick or treat

#11 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (5880 posts) - - Show Bio

Coincidentally, I was watching this video as I saw this thread. The Amazing Athiest touches on this issue a little bit.

#12 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Its all BS anyways, all the money they raise goes to more marketing.

#13 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17596 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

I only found out recently myself :) Which is the exact issue here. How can there be an awareness month if no one is even aware that there is an awareness month going on? Ha ha.

#14 Posted by judasnixon (6213 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know so many people hated breast.......

#15 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7585 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. It should be 'Cancer Awareness Month'...

#16 Posted by Bruxae (12642 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree completely, loving the boobs but it is kinda double standards.

#17 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

@cezar_thescribe said:

Just make the cures.

That's one of the points of awareness month. To raise money that helps to find the cure.

There's been enough money raised. There should have been a cure a long time ago.

There probably already is one, they just don't want to give it the "common folk."

#18 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (23302 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@cezar_thescribe said:

Just make the cures.

There's been enough money raised. There should have been a cure a long time ago.

There probably already is one, they just don't want to give it the "common folk."

lol, really?

#19 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, really.

#20 Posted by SC (12709 posts) - - Show Bio

In my country our month for Men's cancer/health related awareness is huge and as popular as our month for woman's cancer. For our woman's month we wear pink ribbons, for November we grow mustaches and woman do not have to shave legs. Its called Movember. Australia does it too. Maybe your guys countries could adopt it as well, I know they sometimes do. Canada I believe also has it, they donated more towards Movember than any other country in 2011. Great job Canada.

#21 Posted by Joygirl (18715 posts) - - Show Bio

Just make the cures.

Instant best answer.

#22 Posted by TifaLockhart (14043 posts) - - Show Bio

Cancer is horrible.

#23 Posted by HeckTate (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

There shouldn't be any "this month is reserved specifically for the awareness of this issue" BS. Black History, Women's Rights, Breast Cancer, sure whatever,but February's not Black History month, it's the short month that can't get it's sh!t straight, and October's not Breast Cancer awareness month, it's the month with Halloween, leaves changing colors, and people whoring out food products with pumpkin. It's such an arbitrary call to say this month is all about this, if it's something you care about, why relegate it a single month?

#24 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

haha omg me neither

see, utter failure of "awareness" months

#25 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17596 posts) - - Show Bio

@hecktate said:

There shouldn't be any "this month is reserved specifically for the awareness of this issue" BS. Black History, Women's Rights, Breast Cancer, sure whatever,but February's not Black History month, it's the short month that can't get it's sh!t straight, and October's not Breast Cancer awareness month, it's the month with Halloween, leaves changing colors, and people whoring out food products with pumpkin. It's such an arbitrary call to say this month is all about this, if it's something you care about, why relegate it a single month?

I agree. I guess it is about awareness? It has clearly failed on that front though. :P

#26 Edited by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, really.

any proof for this, outside your own paranoia of course?

#27 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17596 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

In my country our month for Men's cancer/health related awareness is huge and as popular as our month for woman's cancer. For our woman's month we wear pink ribbons, for November we grow mustaches and woman do not have to shave legs. Its called Movember. Australia does it too. Maybe your guys countries could adopt it as well, I know they sometimes do. Canada I believe also has it, they donated more towards Movember than any other country in 2011. Great job Canada.

Ah yeah forgot about Movember. Ha ha.

#28 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@cezar_thescribe said:

Just make the cures.

wut

#29 Posted by HeckTate (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc We have no shave November, which is similar except that it doesn't benefit anyone, college kids do it for no reason other than "other people are also doing it."

#30 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. It should be 'Cancer Awareness Month'...

This.

#31 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

Men can get breast cancer too. I learned that last year from the page they printed in Marvel comics last October. I think that was a good example of raising awareness as I had thought it was something only women could get.

I kind of see your point though. With so many kinds of cancer out there, there can't be enough months to get one each, so maybe a combined month for them all could be better. Maybe highly certain ones on particular days.

#32 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@cezar_thescribe said:

Yes, really.

any proof for this, outside your own paranoia of course?

No paranoia here.

#33 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@cezar_thescribe said:

Just make the cures.

Instant best answer.

Thank you.

#34 Edited by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

Ditto.

#35 Edited by pooty (10832 posts) - - Show Bio

Sqeaky wheel gets the oil. If people with those different kinds of cancer want attention, it's up to them to generate that attention.

#36 Posted by King Saturn (223829 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the whole year should be Cancer Awareness... it aint like Cancer just waits till October to strike it's hardest... that muthafacka drops people every month with no remorse for a month or day or hour or minute.