Should the build the mosque near ground zero in nyc

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By agent9149

i think they should allow the building of this mosque take place. I believe as a nation we should set an example of this world. 9.11 was caused by intolerant people. If we answser intolerance with intolerance how can we prove that we are better than those people.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

What 'chu talkin' 'bout agent9149? 

-can you tell I don't pay attention to news?-
agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By agent9149
@Donovan Montgomery:  welll...near ground zero (where the twin towers use to stand) plans of building a mosque were into consideration and people are saying that they shouldn't build a mosque because its disrespectful to those who died in 9.11 because the hijackers were radical Muslims
Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

@agent9149:
Ah, I thought they already had plans on what to build there. 

What would be odd to me (never being to NY, but having the tourist's picture of it), that seem's a strange place for a mosque.....or pretty much any religious building.  Isn't it right downtown (generally speaking) NY? 

Personally, I would take it as an insult/nose rubbing action, intentional or not, if any group (directly responsible or not) to even request an action like that. 

Imagine a german (totaly having nothing to do with the war or holocaust or anything) wanting to put up a German memorial next to a Jewish internment camp.  (sorry, only comparison I could come up with on short notice) 

I don't know if what I just typed makes sense to anyone but me, but that's a basic/simple comparison.
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Nova`Prime`
@Donovan Montgomery: I don't believe they are talking about building it right on the same ground, but in the general area. And its not all that weird an area, there is a church that they actually used as a emergency location that once stood in the shadows of the World Trade Towers.

To answer the original OPs question I don't believe they should. Nothing against Islam or anything but someone has to use their heads here. It would be like having a church built right in the middle of downtown Baghdad.
Rothschild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Rothschild
@Nova`Prime` said:

" @Donovan Montgomery: I don't believe they are talking about building it right on the same ground, but in the general area. And its not all that weird an area, there is a church that they actually used as a emergency location that once stood in the shadows of the World Trade Towers.  To answer the original OPs question I don't believe they should. Nothing against Islam or anything but someone has to use their heads here. It would be like having a church built right in the middle of downtown Baghdad. "

Bingo... They put up that mosque, dont be suprised to hear about threats and vandalism
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nova`Prime`
@Rothschild said:
" @Nova`Prime` said:

" @Donovan Montgomery: I don't believe they are talking about building it right on the same ground, but in the general area. And its not all that weird an area, there is a church that they actually used as a emergency location that once stood in the shadows of the World Trade Towers.  To answer the original OPs question I don't believe they should. Nothing against Islam or anything but someone has to use their heads here. It would be like having a church built right in the middle of downtown Baghdad. "

Bingo... They put up that mosque, dont be suprised to hear about threats and vandalism "
I am not so sure about that, its in the financial district which is pretty calm.
riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By riri4life

This thread has already been started @ Mosque Near Ground Zero? Look it up! lol

Rothschild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Rothschild
@Nova`Prime`:    
The greatest act of terrorism on U.S. soil... Think about it... New Yorkers are a whole different breed of american... We also doubt 9/11 would happen(hence the lack of readiness for such an attack, EVEN WITH NOTIFICATION AHEAD OF TIME)
MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MKF30

Simple answer. NO

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

If they do, then it won't look pretty. Financial District or not, people will be pissed.  

What happened to this "Freedom Tower" they were supposed to build?

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Night Thrasher

The mosque is going to be blocks away from ground zero, not next to ground zero. The debate is actually should the guy trying to build it be allowed to because of his ties to foreign countries. I personally believe that a mosque should be allowed there, just not by this guy because his ties to foreign countries are questionable.  

BTW... It's not a mosque. It's a "Islam learning center".

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By turoksonofstone
@MKF30 said:
"

Simple answer. NO

"
Hate to agree here, but Islam and Christianity like almost all religions are nothing but trouble. Is there that large of an Islamic population in the area that  would even use this "Learning Center"? Religious centers should be left in the outer Burroughs I say they have no place in the city. I'm an Atheist and Hate to have to hear about religious fools and their never-ending ignorance. Evolve already.
MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MKF30
@Gambit1024 said:
"If they do, then it won't look pretty. Financial District or not, people will be pissed.   What happened to this "Freedom Tower" they were supposed to build? "

They chickened out because they felt the name was "too controversial in sending a message to terrorists" dumb I know... 

@turoksonofstone, I have to disagree there a bit. Sure all religion can be controversial but it's not like we have religious wars here in America every day yet most of us are Christians of some kind(as majority I mean) where you have Islamic and Jewish religious wars going on for years on the other side there sadly.... 

I also happen to live in NYC so take it from me, it's a BAD idea...and will only cause problems...there's no problems with having churches, temples etc for people to practice in, plus this is America. We have the freedom to practice and believe in whatever we wish but building that on there is a dumb and bad idea.... 

Now since you're an atheist obviously you believe in nothing no religion which is your right but it's also others rights to believe in something as well. ;)
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turoksonofstone
@MKF30 said:

" @Gambit1024 said:

"If they do, then it won't look pretty. Financial District or not, people will be pissed.   What happened to this "Freedom Tower" they were supposed to build? "
They chickened out because they felt the name was "too controversial in sending a message to terrorists" dumb I know...  @turoksonofstone, I have to disagree there a bit. Sure all religion can be controversial but it's not like we have religious wars here in America every day yet most of us are Christians of some kind(as majority I mean) where you have Islamic and Jewish religious wars going on for years on the other side there sadly....  I also happen to live in NYC so take it from me, it's a BAD idea...and will only cause problems...there's no problems with having churches, temples etc for people to practice in, plus this is America. We have the freedom to practice and believe in whatever we wish but building that on there is a dumb and bad idea....  Now since you're an atheist obviously you believe in nothing no religion which is your right but it's also others rights to believe in something as well. ;) "
You are correct. Maybe not here, now, but Christians have killed plenty in god's name throughout history, and if provoked would surely do it again. THE GOD of Christianity, Judaism and Islam is essentially the same god, And that god said to love your fellow man. None of these religions practice what they preach. People should be free to worship as they wish. (though in the end most only worship the almighty dollar.) I just wish religion was practiced at home away from the public eye. Why should another mans faith put me or mine in harms way?
MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MKF30

Oh yeah the romans were no saints back in the day...lol and did a lot of bad things, nobody is perfect, The Jews, Islamics etc also killed a lot of each other mainly...terrorists I have no respect for since they kill whoever feels differently then them....messed up if you ask me. Even an atheist, if you don't agree with these radical terrorists they'll kill you... 

Now though you don't really hear many stories of Christians on a daily basis killing others who believe differently like they used wayy back. In fact now days the Catholic Church(me being Catholic I know this) tends to get crapped on the most out of a lot religions here anyway... with jokes etc, granted some spoofs, shows and such mock everything which I like since at least it's not biased like say SP, FG etc shows like this mock everyone lol 

I do believe a lot of people who are truly dedicated and believe in God and what they believe in do what they preach but some others don't. Still, at the end of the day I'd rather put my faith in something then nothing at all but to each his own.  

I do agree with you though on the separating of church and politics/state etc...religion should be more personal and have no relevance IMO on politics, but sadly things like abortion, cell research etc have been factors and caused some controversy

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By turoksonofstone
@MKF30: 
I do agree with you though on the separating of church and politics/state etc...religion should be more personal and have no relevance IMO on politics, but sadly things like abortion, cell research etc have been factors and caused some controversy

Yes. Ignorance impedes Progress.

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MKF30

Yeah, some things should just not be mixed....same thing with video games and politics, stupid politicians make a huge deal about games like MK, GTA, Manhunt etc...they have ratings, what more do they want? If it was up to some of these clowns(like Jack Thompson for example) half the games would be banned...lol