Should Religion Be Allowed In School?

• 128 results
BEYONDERGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll Should Religion Be Allowed In School? (28 votes)

Yes 64%
No 71%

I am doing a project and want to find how people feel sources and images are welcome.

Memes aren't.

• 
JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i am thinking the op was myopic and meant 'their own brand of Christendom', not 'religion'. I doubt any images of Ganesh or Cernunnos were in his mind nor ever HAVE been. the thread should be retitled for honesty. or retired out of taste.

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of you guys must go to some terrible schools.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a school specifically dedicated to such faith, then yes. No in public schools.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

sure, as long as every religion is given equal treatment. If you allow Christianity, you must allow Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. And let's not act like Satanists won't fight to get there material in as well. Also Flying Spaghetti Monster!!!!!!

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

It should be replaced with philosophy. No school has a religious study's class they just focus on one more and claim it's the right one.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If it's not non-sectarian, no. If it is, then yes. :)

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#107  Edited By frozen  Moderator
@rev_sulphur said:

It should be replaced with philosophy. No school has a religious study's class they just focus on one more and claim it's the right one.

My school (in the UK) had Religious Studies (R.E). We learned about Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Sikhism and Buddhism (though Buddhism is less of a Religion). I think this is the norm across England.

In Sociology, we learned about the social and political influence of Religion --- that's what turned me Atheist.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@frozen said:
@rev_sulphur said:

My school (in the UK) had Religious Studies (R.E). We learned about Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Sikhism and Buddhism (though Buddhism is less of a Religion). I think this is the norm across England.

In Sociology, we learned about the social and political influence of Religion --- that's what turned me Atheist.

Awesome. Sounds like a good place.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

"God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within organised religion." - Superintendent Chalmers.

The question is vague. One religion in means all religions in - easier to just pretend they don't exist, it's not a schools responsibility.

I wouldn't send my child to a school that promoted any Abrahamic religion.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Being Buddhist myself, I'll agree that Buddhism can be applied to any religion as long as it's solely on the basic principles.

Adding on to that example, however, that doesn't mean I want someone else's religion shoved in my face. Which is why I agree that if religion is to be studied it should be for all currently relevant, perhaps as well as long-gone, religions to balance the influence.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I believe Religion as a subject should be taught in schools, but not in the way I was exposed to it. It's an important part of society, no matter what your view of it is. There is no proper defence for having any religion practised in any publicly funded institution or place. Instead of trying to accommodate everyone, we should accommodate no one. Celebrating tradition and culture is fine when presented in that context, as a teaching opportunity.

I went to a Catholic elementary school and a Catholic secondary school and yet, I still came out somewhat atheist. That's not an argument for keeping things as is, but rather, an example of how indoctrination in a free society doesn't always work. Choice and access to knowledge is more important, in my opinion.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we don't have religion throwing it's heavy hand in schools, how will you compensate for the loss of ex Catholic and ex Mormon pole dancers and adult fulm stars? ;)

the CA economy would crumble.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if taught as mythology in the same vein as religions from ancient history. Otherwise it's purely a poison.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@jayc1324: US also weaponized religion as an ideological weapon. They cited Christianity to justify Slavery and used 'Manifest Destiny' to slaughter the Native Americans. 'Christianizing' the Native Americans was not good.

Not really, that was the British, since it happened before the US was a country.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to the OP: do you accept that Pre Christian religions that led to Christian religions should be taught in school if Christianity is taught in schools, YES OR NO?

Otherwise you are gerrymandering faith and your whole thread is a fraud.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: other religions are weaponized as well, and Christianity isn't anymore. But still, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be taught, just because it was used for something bad. America did a lot of bad things in that time period, but religion did help it improve later on, and I'm pretty sure most if not all presidents were Christian.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: does that mean it should be taught?

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998 said:

Religion being allowed in school would be a good thing inasmuch as it does not affect what courses they are going to study. Religious belief and faith should not detriment what people learn in their science classes though.

I say let there be religion in school but lets keep it separate from other curriculum.

You smart person you ^_^

What these two are on, I'm with it.

Zelos797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Short answere yes.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Mortein

sure, as long as every religion is given equal treatment. If you allow Christianity, you must allow Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. And let's not act like Satanists won't fight to get there material in as well. Also Flying Spaghetti Monster!!!!!!

And anti-theism as well.

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they don't allow it in school but encourage it in prison.

Do you see something wrong here?

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, In prison they get a choice to follow any religion they want and are grown men so they can choose whatever they want to follow. The problem with Religion in school is there are to many of them Christians want their material as well, but if it is going to be fair they need to allow every single religion to have a part in that curriculum including the Satanism, Anti-theism, Pastafari, Muslims, and so on and so on, and most parents wouldn't want their children to be in an institution that teaches other religions unless it is there own, hence why there are specific schools like Catholic School, Jewish Day School, Madrasa (Islamic schools), etc.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

why not?

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By mikesterman

@theamazingimmortalman: i think you mean Rastafari, but trueeee.

Now i will convert to Pastafari all hail the mighty Pasta

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AHAHAHAHAHAHA never thought of that

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Religion being allowed in school would be a good thing inasmuch as it does not affect what courses they are going to study. Religious belief and faith should not detriment what people learn in their science classes though.

I say let there be religion in school but lets keep it separate from other curriculum.

This!

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's clear the OP was not honest in the title of the thread.

he/she did not mean "religion", he/she meant RECENT sects of Christendom.

Thus rather fraudulent.

Nothing supported by the fraudulent should be promoted in schools.

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beyondergod if you don't mind me asking, do you follow a certain faith?