Should Religion Be Allowed In School?

• 128 results
BEYONDERGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll Should Religion Be Allowed In School? (28 votes)

Yes 64%
No 71%

I am doing a project and want to find how people feel sources and images are welcome.

Memes aren't.

• 
Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mandarinestro

Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-579ecfa921bb2
deactivated-579ecfa921bb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes, The public must know of Batgod

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Religion being allowed in school would be a good thing inasmuch as it does not affect what courses they are going to study. Religious belief and faith should not detriment what people learn in their science classes though.

I say let there be religion in school but lets keep it separate from other curriculum.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Religion being allowed in school would be a good thing inasmuch as it does not affect what courses they are going to study. Religious belief and faith should not detriment what people learn in their science classes though.

I say let there be religion in school but lets keep it separate from other curriculum.

You smart person you ^_^

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@616vulture: You shall rejoice in eternal prep, brother.

BEYONDERGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: Schools namely mine is contraction in itself

I can't read my bible

But a student can wear the Muslim masks

But I can get a referral also.....i believe religion should be allowed its not harming anyone.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpion2501:

Did you just say something nice about me? I fear the world might be coming to an end ^_^

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beyondergod: Do you mean the practice of religion or religious education or both?

BEYONDERGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beyondergod:

Oh I know I was talking about Scorpio, we are always joking all the time saying mean things about each other ^_^

BEYONDERGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: Tssss, me being kind isn't that much of a rarity! I do it all the time! Well, on serious topics at least. When we're less serious, yeah :P.(Also, we shouldn't derial this thread like we do with others.)

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

no, that's what Sunday School is for

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so. I don't see a point. Seems like something you'd learn at home better.

Not to mention, I don't think there's any way you could give every religion the time it deserves in school, and you can't teach kids about just one or two religions. And then where do you draw the line? If someone is a Wiccan or Hell, even a Jedi, do we suddenly have to rearrange the entire curriculum to fit those things into the course?

Nah. Nah, I think religion is something you should find out from your home life or research on your own. There's plenty of material out there, and people to talk to.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

When 20% of English kids apparently think Jesus plays football then I think it's wise to teach religion. And, as long as you're not part of the Creativity movement, religion should be allowed to be practiced as well (as long as you don't make it an excuse to get out of all your classes).

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ChillxPill

Yes. Only in grades where students wil understand it and are accountable for their own decisions.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you mean by "allow religion in schools" . As in religious studies?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Yes

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm not a religious person but I firmly believe it should be allowed in schools, just not enforced by schools. Whether you're religious or not you can't argue with the fact that religion has had a major impact on human culture and history and to ignore it is to ignore a major part of the development of civilization.

That being said, it should be a student or faculty member's own choice about how to handle it.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it should not be in schools and should not be in our government. Thats why there are churches.

"Keep thy religion to thy self."

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Yes

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#23  Edited By BatWatch

All but the most extreme of anti-religious folks think religion should be allowed in school. Students should be able to do whatever they want religiously. Also, teachers would be irresponsible to try and teach subjects like history and many aspects of English without mentioning religion. The questions is whether the school staff should be able to do anything to promote religion.

Many people say the school cannot do anything to promote religion because of "Separation of Church and State," but Separation of Church and State isn't actually in the Constitution. The actual Constitution says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," so the Federal congress can neither establish nor limit religion.

Beyond this point, I'm undecided because of two reasons. 1. Does the fact that every public school gets some federal funding mean that any act that school does to promote religion violates the prohibition on the federal congress from establishing religion? 2. What exactly qualifies as establishing a religion anyway? Our Founders had no problem praying to open Congressional sessions and doing lots of other pro-God stuff with the government, so where do you cross the line into establishing religion?

I'm not completely decided.

Props to anybody who actually took the time to read this instead of playing the TL;DR game.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Sure, but it shouldn't be the way it is now.

BEYONDERGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Cream_God

Yes, students have freedom of religion and expression

Edstone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an extended part of human history, teaching ethics and morals...sure. Not divercified special classes for each religion.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well in the UK we had RE at school. (Religious Education) Where we basically learnt about religion and weren't preached to believe in a certain religion. At least that was the case with high school. At Primary we sung hymns, I don't think schools should make pupil's sing hymn's or force a certain religion on people.

Schools should be secular.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dshipp17  Online

Yes; allowing religion in school would be allowing religion to return to school. When I was in K-12, evolution was not taught, although biology was taught; if evolution is now being taught in school, than a course in creation science or intelligent design should also be taught; if not, than both evolution and creation science should be reserved for college level school; this is so that students can at least be aware of the evidence that contradicts some of the conclusions that some teachers and professors are making about evolution and teaching them as established facts to students (e.g. like how metabolism and the ATP process works, which is very different); evolution in pre-historic Earth is just as much speculation as creationism is logical fact, so, there's really no problem; insisting on evolution is basically conceding that students should be taught atheism as the accepted norm; that's the practice that must be stopped. Since school prayer was once the norm, I do not think that other religions should be a factor in deciding to allow school prayer to return.

Now, teaching religious education can become a bit more sticky, because a few students may be apart of non-Christian and non-Jewish religions; but, most students will either be Judeo-Christian or not practicing any religion (e.g. this large group that does not include atheists and agnostics); so, a study in Christian education can be allowed, where students who do not fit that category can opt out, because of a strong conviction against it due to another religion. However, I don't think a course in creation science necessarily fits this category as much as it fits science.

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as you don't make religion mandatory, then yes, I don't see an issue.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Religions are big part of our society, kids should learn how they were formed, how they evolved, divided and merged over the centuries, and how they effect us.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By consolemaster001

Well that depends on what you mean. Do you mean a mandatory (seperate) Religious classes or Religion in secular classes such as Science and History ?

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cable_Extreme

Religion shouldn't be supported by schools, but people within students, teachers etc... should have religious freedom to believe as they please. But if you represent the government, you shouldn't show a particular bias.

As far as bible studies, no.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: Intelligent design isn't necessarily contradictory to evolution. In schools, science is taught, which evolution is currently science's best explanation of how we evolved. The only reason you contest evolution is DUE to your religion, so if you want to learn about intelligent design, or creationism, go to a church.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PRAISE WENJUN CHEW AND BAT-GOD, THEIR HOLINESS AND DIVINITY IS ABSOLUTE!

Yes, The public must know of Batgod

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Amen.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

%80 Yes

%80 No

AYYYY LMAAOOO

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

FoolsGold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FoolsGold

I think Religon should be thought in school from a pragmatic non biased standpoint.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why not.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

In public schools? No. Leave that sh*t at the door. Like kids need something else to be made fun of.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Absolutely not and people need to stop trying to force religion on other people, that's how the most aggressive atheists come from...

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: waste of time, people will develop a distorted perception of reality and morals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis: they will do that anyway. But religion is a big part of peopels lives, especially in history.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dimitridkatsis

@jayc1324 said:

@dimitridkatsis: they will do that anyway. no

But religion is a big part of peopels lives, especially in history.so?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46 vance_astro  Moderator

@jayc1324 said:

@dimitridkatsis: they will do that anyway. But religion is a big part of peopels lives, especially in history.

It's also a big part of alot of wars and atrocities.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47 frozen  Moderator

100% correct.

@jayc1324 said:

It's also a big part of alot of wars and atrocities.

So true.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis: yes they will. There are other influences out there. And those things are important to learn about.

@vance_astro: Yes which are also important to learn about

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49 frozen  Moderator

Well in the UK we had RE at school. (Religious Education) Where we basically learnt about religion and weren't preached to believe in a certain religion. At least that was the case with high school. At Primary we sung hymns, I don't think schools should make pupil's sing hymn's or force a certain religion on people.

Schools should be secular.

Same. I do believe it is fundamental to learn about different religions in RE.

But dammit. Keep it out of the Science class!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Religion was part of the good things too. Like the first and second great awakenings which actually helped inspire great things like the feminist movement and abolitionist movements. America was a country built on religion and religious principles. Religion cannot be ignored, especially in school.