#1 Posted by noj (1060 posts) - - Show Bio

Nintendo is in a bad spot with the Wii U right now. I LOVE Nintendo and even I can admit that they are in a very bad situation. I absolutey cannot believe that the Wii U sales are stillas low as they are but the facts are the facts and with the PS4 and the XBONe now competing with it the future doesnt look any brighter. The question really comes down to whats to blame for this and from what I can gather it is a lack of marketing and a clear public image. Apparently there are STILL people who have no idea Nintendo has released a new console and a large part of that has to do with the name of the system.

So what I think is the best course of action is to just bite the bullet and rebrand everything. Recall all the Wii Us they can, paint a 2 over the U slap them in a new box and rebrand it as the Wii 2. Launch a huge marketing campaign making it clear to the consumer that the Wii U is a brand new Nintendo system and pack in the updated Wii Sports and a Mario game.

#2 Posted by JediXMan (29242 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a horrible name. It's not unique. Nintendo names their systems differently (NES, Game Cube, Wii). Playstation and Xbox use a numerical system (... well, at least Playstation does).

The Wii U, however, is boring. Not only that, but to anybody not keeping up with consoles, it just looks like an addon to the regular Wii.

Also, yeah, too expensive. I understand why (because of the stupid gamepad), but it's more expensive than the Wii was at launch. The Wii U is $300 now, and nobody is buying it. The original Wii sold well because it was innovative at the time. Now people... just don't care about motion controls anymore.

I won't be buying it, at least not for a year or so. If I get it, it will be after two things happen:

1. Serious price drop. Way too expensive.
  2. New Super Smash Bros comes out. Considering this is likely the only game my Wii U will ever see, yeah, $300 is way too much for one game.
#3 Posted by Edamame (27875 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I don't think that the name of this console is too catchy or interesting. So it may help to change the name, but I don't know if that is a feasible move. Furthermore, we are still experiencing slow job growth, and many people are still living paycheck to paycheck. So I don't think that a lot of people can afford the high initial prices of this system. We'll just have to wait until the prices goes down.

#4 Posted by JediXMan (29242 posts) - - Show Bio
@edamame said:

Well, I don't think that the name of this console is too catchy or interesting. So it may help to change the name, but I don't know if that is a feasible move. Furthermore, we are still experiencing slow job growth, and many people are still living paycheck to paycheck. So I don't think that a lot of people can afford the high initial prices of this system. We'll just have to wait until the prices goes down.

The funny thing is, the PS4 and Xbone are still more expensive, and yet people have decided that the price of those consoles in worth it.

It's a combination of the Wii U being too expensive and the console itself simply not being worth the purchase.

#5 Posted by Edamame (27875 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: That is certainly true. Well, we will see what happens.

#6 Posted by Vaeternus (9322 posts) - - Show Bio

Give it time wii u will do better but no. I dontbfeel it should be rebranded. Besides. Nin will still bank profits via the 3ds which is destroying the vita.

Im not saying wii u will win anything but the ps4 and xbox one arent exactly flawless either.

#7 Posted by Perethorn (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything wrong with the Wii U can be solved with the 3DS dominating portable consoles market.

And i believe that the problem with the Wii U is similar to the one of the GC. Nobody cares about it, maybe because of price, maybe because of the design.

#8 Edited by Dr_Harlequin (475 posts) - - Show Bio

They should call it the Pii U, because it stinks compared to the other two biggies IMO.

#9 Posted by Vaeternus (9322 posts) - - Show Bio

They all go or have gone thru thus. Last gen ps3 sucked. Xbox had the rrod issues besides wii doing good.

Gen before that the gc and xbox were pretty much irrelevant where as ps2 did well.

This gen nin wont win probably but who knows if xbox or sony will.

#10 Edited by Cgoodness (3766 posts) - - Show Bio

boom sales just tripled

#11 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it'll make a come back in a couple years after the PS4 and Xbone craziness has settled. By then I think the new Super Smash Bros should be out too. But yeah I wouldn't buy one before the PlayStation. Maybe they should just go third party on consoles.

#12 Posted by frogdog (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it'll make a come back in a couple years after the PS4 and Xbone craziness has settled. By then I think the new Super Smash Bros should be out too. But yeah I wouldn't buy one before the PlayStation. Maybe they should just go third party on consoles.

Console teams going third party always decline in quality.

#13 Posted by Uncanny_Doom (360 posts) - - Show Bio

It's too late to rebrand it, as that would just confuse consumers even more in my opinion. They derped out of the gate with the marketing and name. It's astounding how big of a difference it would have made if they just used a 2 instead of a U.

That said though, part of the reason their sales have been stagnant is because Nintendo simply has a different kind of fanbase than other console brands. And I don't mean kids. Each brand has it's own hardcore, dedicated fanbase, and the people who are buying the Xbox or PS4 right now are honestly doing it out of hype, being prisoners of the moment, even when there's honestly little to no reason or worth from buying a next-gen console for at least the next six months. From my experience people interested in Nintendo franchises are different. They'll be patient, they'll wait for price drops or specific franchises to happen, rather than jump the gun right when the console comes out.

Personally, I'm probably going to buy a Wii U before an Xbox One or PS4. It just has great looking stuff coming out soon and better games out right now. But I'm not sure the system will be able to do a solid turnaround. Give it about another year, and if it's not selling significantly better in the 2014 holiday season, it's pretty much just going to be the same thing as the Gamecube.

#14 Posted by frogdog (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

It's too late to rebrand it, as that would just confuse consumers even more in my opinion. They derped out of the gate with the marketing and name. It's astounding how big of a difference it would have made if they just used a 2 instead of a U.

That said though, part of the reason their sales have been stagnant is because Nintendo simply has a different kind of fanbase than other console brands. And I don't mean kids. Each brand has it's own hardcore, dedicated fanbase, and the people who are buying the Xbox or PS4 right now are honestly doing it out of hype, being prisoners of the moment, even when there's honestly little to no reason or worth from buying a next-gen console for at least the next six months. From my experience people interested in Nintendo franchises are different. They'll be patient, they'll wait for price drops or specific franchises to happen, rather than jump the gun right when the console comes out.

Personally, I'm probably going to buy a Wii U before an Xbox One or PS4. It just has great looking stuff coming out soon and better games out right now. But I'm not sure the system will be able to do a solid turnaround. Give it about another year, and if it's not selling significantly better in the 2014 holiday season, it's pretty much just going to be the same thing as the Gamecube.

Pretty much this for me.

#15 Posted by Vaeternus (9322 posts) - - Show Bio

@cgoodness:

I agree. Once Smash hits it's going to take off, I really doubt anything PS or Xbox that time will match it.

#16 Posted by nerdork (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

boom sales just tripled

For the longest time, that game series was my reason for living.

#17 Posted by MaccyD (3384 posts) - - Show Bio

They should ignore the Wii and DS brand name. Since the casual gaming fad has moved onto tablets and other things, having a name recognised by mainstream gamers as being associated with kids and casual gaming won't work in the long term.

When I tell people that I might get a 3DS, they think I'm joking. Even though it has brilliant mature franchises like Street Fighter, Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter, it still gets the casual/kiddie image passed from the DS.

@silkyballfro94-I hate when people suggest that Nintendo go 3rd due to Wii U. Why doesn't Sony go 3rd party after the flops that were PS Vita and PSP Go? Nintendo last-gen had the best-selling console- DS and the Wii itself got pretty high so I assume they have a bundle of cash to last them for a while. Not to mention their entire company is dedicated to gaming, unlike the other two, which had over 30 years of profits to fall back on, (they probably still have profits from Gameboy and NES lying around). They're the only one of the three who actually make a profit per console and their exclusives usually sell more since most people just buy their consoles for exclusives.

Basically-One bad-selling console doesn't equal "going third-party." Sorry for the block of text, just I see that comment far too often.

#18 Edited by Vaeternus (9322 posts) - - Show Bio

The DS is arguably the best selling portable of all time, to ignore that would be stupid. DS in general really has nothing to do with the 3D effect(sure it's cool) but Sony was promoting the same thing with PS3 3D games..people don't really care for that, but for fun, innovative and good games which the DS/3DS provides.

I do agree though that one struggling console doesn't mean make it third party because PS3 was a big failure honestly last gen, especially compared to Sony's expectations. This time(so far) Nintendo is coming in last. It's hard to predict, at times Nintendo and Sony have come out on top. If anything, this would technically be Xbox's FIRST win in a console war. Assuming they of course can.

#19 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5366 posts) - - Show Bio

My friend told me a couple of years ago that Wii 2 in japanese would sound like weiner. Not a good name for a console.

#20 Edited by Vaeternus (9322 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think anyone should judge a console by name. I mean Xbox has been made of many jokes like "sexbox live" xxx box, Red Ring of Deathbox" etc, etc lol If you think about it Xbox, does sound kind of dirty. Other names that are odd or just weird. Neo-Geo? Hyperscan? Gamecom? Sony plays it safe with generic numerical order "PS1, PS2, etc" Nintendo makes up unique names for their consoles, Xbox just adds numbers in front via letters or numbers...

The reason Nin chose "Wii" was actually because the original name for it "Revolution" they were afraid the name would be too difficult to pronounce by international standards. So they chose "wii"

#21 Edited by silkyballfro94 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: Yeah I didn't mean it in a bad way. I think the third party idea would be kind of cool. It had nothing to do with the Wii U not selling. I just wanted to throw it out there to see what people thought.

#22 Posted by MaccyD (3384 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: That's the flaw with my theory and I sorta realised it when writing, The 3DS uses similar marketing yet has the opposite outcome. I think it's more than likely Nintendo's bizarre schedule, huge gaps were between first-party titles-Nintendo's main selling point.

They seem to remedying that currently by having Mario 3D world, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong, released not long after each other, then Smash bros for next year. They should have done that earlier in the console's lifetime to gain an advantage over Sony/Microsoft but still, PS4/Xbox One are still in early days and will have a poor lineup for a good while yet.

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32047 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

@vaeternus: That's the flaw with my theory and I sorta realised it when writing, The 3DS uses similar marketing yet has the opposite outcome. I think it's more than likely Nintendo's bizarre schedule, huge gaps were between first-party titles-Nintendo's main selling point.

They seem to remedying that currently by having Mario 3D world, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong, released not long after each other, then Smash bros for next year. They should have done that earlier in the console's lifetime to gain an advantage over Sony/Microsoft but still, PS4/Xbox One are still in early days and will have a poor lineup for a good while yet.

Yea but the thing is Mario 3D World is probably one of the best games this year yet it failed terribly, even Knack sold more than it.

#24 Posted by Vaeternus (9322 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: One thing that Nintendo has always done well is their portables, I really believe that is one department where they always do well and know their stuff. Sony desperately tries to beat them and fails, M$$ I just think knows better lol.

But aside from just 1st party titles or Mario titles I should say, look at Pokemon games(could never get into them) but they sell well and are very good games. I know guys in their 20's and 30's who play the Pokemon games yet console wise prefer Sony or Xbox. So go figure right? lol DKC I love, I personally think they're doing the right thing with bringing him back to 2D. I hated 3D DK...Mario works both 3D and 2D, Mario really can't go wrong most of the time. And don't forget Zelda, Metroid etc which they're spacing out too. They need to do that more with their consoles IMO in the future. Like you said though, it will fluctuate and PS4/Xbox One will slow down at some point while the Wii U will pick up.

@jonny_anonymous: It'll sell good in a few months I'm sure(wait til after the Christmas season lol), but most Mario games are very solid. People tend to buy games due to name alone these days be it Mario, GTA or COD(look at the last few COD's not that great yet sold well) so I hear ya.