• 56 results
#1 Posted by RoosterCogburn (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Just as the topic says.

Roethlisberger supposely sexually assaulting a woman in a club in Georgia.
Michael Vick dog fighting.
and ect.

After big payed players such as these screw around and do illegal things, should they be able to continue their million dollar careers?

#2 Posted by Shanana (53023 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, It sets the wrong example for younger players. I detest NFL and NBA athletes; most of them.

#3 Posted by gingertastic_10 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Vick served his time, so I think he should be able to play again.  

There should be a three strike policy, mess up three times. You're out of the league. 

#4 Edited by RoosterCogburn (209 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sha:

I agree with you partly.
They need to grow up and appreciate what they have. They are great athletes that are being paid millions of dollars a year.
Why the HELL would you want to go do illegal things when you are THAT rich?
And plus, such as you said, many younger fans look up to you.

I was there at Capital City Club in Milledgeville that Thursday night when Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was accused of sexually assualting that girl. 
I live only like 25 minutes from M-ville.
I saw him when he got there, but he was mostly in a VIP room. Everyone was getting all pissed cuz his 'homeboys' were taking all the women in there with him.
#5 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how any of this has anything to do with their standings as athletes, personally.

#6 Posted by RoosterCogburn (209 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" I don't see how any of this has anything to do with their standings as athletes, personally. "
Explain
#7 Posted by Shanana (53023 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" I don't see how any of this has anything to do with their standings as athletes, personally. "
It's not about their athletic abilities. It's about their "Role Model" duties, that many of them fail in.
#8 Posted by gingertastic_10 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Not all athletes play the game to be role models. That is put onto them by the press. 

#9 Edited by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

No they are a disgrace to the sport and should not be aloud on the field

#10 Posted by Erik (32220 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the drama that is going on with football is killing it.  

Just like it did with Boxing.  

With soccer making huge strides in popularity in the US now, soon the majority of US citizens will be calling soccer 'football' and that other sport will fall to the wayside and be all but forgotten. 

#11 Posted by Shanana (53023 posts) - - Show Bio
@gingertastic_10 said:
" Not all athletes play the game to be role models. That is put onto them by the press.  "
If you are elevated to that "Super Star" status you are automatically a role model whether you want to be or not.
#12 Edited by RoosterCogburn (209 posts) - - Show Bio
@erik said:

" I think the drama that is going on with football is killing it.   Just like it did with Boxing.   With soccer making huge strides in popularity in the US now, soon the majority of US citizens will be calling soccer 'football' and that other sport will fall to the wayside and be all but forgotten.  "

BLASPHEMY.
Soccer or 'kickball' will never gain the popularity as football has in America.
#13 Posted by gingertastic_10 (12 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sha said:
" @gingertastic_10 said:
" Not all athletes play the game to be role models. That is put onto them by the press.  "
If you are elevated to that "Super Star" status you are automatically a role model whether you want to be or not. "
But that doesn't mean you have to be one. 
#14 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@gingertastic_10 said:
They are public figures making millions of dollars they break a law that big they don't deserve any pity I wish some animal rights activist would do to Vick what he did to those poor dogs
#15 Posted by Shanana (53023 posts) - - Show Bio
@gingertastic_10 said:
" @Sha said:
" @gingertastic_10 said:
If you are elevated to that "Super Star" status you are automatically a role model whether you want to be or not. "
But that doesn't mean you have to be one.  "
Well obviously, because they are still acting like idiots.
#16 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes they should.  It's up tot he teams to decide how they wanna look in the press.  Bench the bad guy or playt he bad guy who could lead the team to a Superbowl 

GO BIRDS!!! 

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!
#17 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it depends.  Some players realize their mistakes and do whatever they can to make up for it.  Vick will never be the same as he was back in 2005 in terms of popularity, but you know what he is doing?  He's out there teaching the kids why dog fighting and things of that such are wrong and even if you can't forgive the man, at least say he's trying. 

Big Ben... he just doesn't seem to learn though, huh?

#18 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: He does not give a damn about those kids or those dogs he just wants money
#19 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, they should. Because it has nothing to do with their game. If they want to do stupid ish thats their problem.

#20 Posted by Erik (32220 posts) - - Show Bio
@RoosterCogburn said:
" @erik said:

" I think the drama that is going on with football is killing it.   Just like it did with Boxing.   With soccer making huge strides in popularity in the US now, soon the majority of US citizens will be calling soccer 'football' and that other sport will fall to the wayside and be all but forgotten.  "

BLASPHEMY. Soccer or 'kickball' will never gain the popularity as football has in America. "
Some would think. But most everyone I know has already stopped watching the NFL in favor of MLS and FIFA. 
#21 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@cascadeking09 said:
" Yes, they should. Because it has nothing to do with their game. If they want to do stupid ish thats their problem. "
How would you feel if someone sexual molested your sister and killed your dog and then they built them up as heroes and paid them millions of dollars
#22 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Amegashita: He does not give a damn about those kids or those dogs he just wants money "
  And you know this because?   

I don't know Vick, but from what I've heard from him he seems absolutely sincere and he understands perfectly what he gave up for a couple of dog fights.  He's already repentant, and understands why people don't like him but that's not stopping him from doing what he's doing, teaching kids about the dangers.  And if I remember correctly, there is no one forcing him to do it, he's just doing it.  For charity might I add.
#23 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Amegashita: He does not give a damn about those kids or those dogs he just wants money "
  And you know this because?      I don't know Vick, but from what I've heard from him he seems absolutely sincere and he understands perfectly what he gave up for a couple of dog fights.  He's already repentant, and understands why people don't like him but that's not stopping him from doing what he's doing, teaching kids about the dangers.  And if I remember correctly, there is no one forcing him to do it, he's just doing it.  For charity might I add. "
He would shoot dogs in the face hang them electrocute them cut them up feed them to other dogs alive he ran a slaughterhouse he wants to boost his public image so he can get endorsements and make money that is all he is scum
#24 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus:  And once again, you know this how? 
#25 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
" @Son_of_Magnus:  And once again, you know this how?  "
It is obvious no man who did that type of horror deserves forgiveness
#26 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

Its just sad how the leagues like to uphold "classy" traditions, yet reprimand bad behavior with a small fine that means NOTHING to the players. NFL is filled with hoodlums now, you constantly hear about them packing heat in clubs and public settings. So stupid, yet so athletic. People have to ask themselves, are we really concerned about ethics with these guys, or do we just want to watch a bunch of gladiators duke it out?

#27 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus:  No.  It's not obvious.  You're saying all this like Vick isn't actively seeking forgiveness.  I haven't heard about him comitting those same sins again so there is no reason for him to not deserve forgiveness.  I can understand why you don't like him, but I'm asking you to show me how you know that Vick is the scum that you are defining.  And I would like evidence that isn't mucked up by personal bias and you dislike for him.  Albeit, a dislike that is certainly understandable.
#28 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: The only proof I need is that grave yard of hundreds of dead dogs that scumbag left behind case closed
#29 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
" @Son_of_Magnus:  No.  It's not obvious.  You're saying all this like Vick isn't actively seeking forgiveness.  I haven't heard about him comitting those same sins again so there is no reason for him to not deserve forgiveness.  I can understand why you don't like him, but I'm asking you to show me how you know that Vick is the scum that you are defining.  And I would like evidence that isn't mucked up by personal bias and you dislike for him.  Albeit, a dislike that is certainly understandable. "
Personal bias? Please, dude. The man tortured dogs viciously. Electrocuted them. Those are signs of a sociopath. There isn't forgiveness for that type of shit, I'm sorry.
#30 Posted by Carolina574 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a teacher and it is our responsibility to act as a role model for children as well. If I was ever charged with anything like Vick, Roethlisburger, or Braelen Edwards I not only would lose my job but my teaching license as well.

#31 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@texasdeathmatch:  Well, that's where you, magnus, and me obviously differ.  Everyone deserves a second chance, and I have no reason to deny anyone that.  If a person is serious about wanting to be forgiven and does whatever he can so that he can be forgiven, then who am I to deny them that?   

God?  

No, I'm not.
#32 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Carolina574 said:
" I am a teacher and it is our responsibility to act as a role model for children as well. If I was ever charged with anything like Vick, Roethlisburger, or Braelen Edwards I not only would lose my job but my teaching license as well. "
Thank you, you have just proved our case
#33 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
" @texasdeathmatch:  Well, that's where you, magnus, and me obviously differ.  Everyone deserves a second chance, and I have no reason to deny anyone that.  If a person is serious about wanting to be forgiven and does whatever he can so that he can be forgiven, then who am I to deny them that?   

God?  
   No, I'm not. "
Some men are just pure evil.
#34 Edited by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus: meh, he's that creepy christian type. I feel no need to debate with him anymore
#35 Posted by Erik (32220 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I understand, no one was charged in the sexual assault. 

#36 Edited by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus:  And how do you define that evil?  I don't see Michael Vick leading a group of children to murder a family in their house.  Charles Manson. 

I don't see Michael Vick leading a cult and then having them murder Congressman Leo Ryan, and then causing a mass suicide of  909 people because he was afraid to go to jail.  276 of whom were children.  Jim Jones.

I don't see Michale Vck persucuting and arranging the mass murder of over 17 million people, and nearly causing the mass extinction of a group of people.  Adolf Hitler.

I'm not seeing that, and unless you can prove he did anything of that such you have no proof upon which you can call him pure evil.  Because you haven't seen pure evil, if you think Michael Vick is pure evil.

@texasdeathmatch: 
I'm not christian. 
#37 Posted by Acewild (151 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Amegashita said:
" @texasdeathmatch:  Well, that's where you, magnus, and me obviously differ.  Everyone deserves a second chance, and I have no reason to deny anyone that.  If a person is serious about wanting to be forgiven and does whatever he can so that he can be forgiven, then who am I to deny them that?   

God?  
   No, I'm not. "
Some men are just pure evil. "
I wouldnt put him in the category of saying he is pure evil for killing dogs.. Someone that was pure evil is Richard Kuklinski (The Iceman) who was a serial killer...
#38 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: If you don't think evil is a man who can stare a dog in the eyes and put it through hell like torture than that's scary
#39 Posted by Erik (32220 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Amegashita: If you don't think evil is a man who can stare a dog in the eyes and put it through hell like torture than that's scary "
I would not limit it to just dogs and I would not say that it is 'evil'. I would say that the person is disturbed though. 
#40 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus:  He's not evil.  What he's done is wrong, is bad, its immoral, but it's not evil.  For you to have the gawl to call Michael Vick pure evil when I can list about 100 people who have done far worse things in the time span of a year than Michael vick has done in all his life.  That's wrong too.
#41 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" Yes, they should. Because it has nothing to do with their game. If they want to do stupid ish thats their problem. "
How would you feel if someone sexual molested your sister and killed your dog and then they built them up as heroes and paid them millions of dollars "
I would be pissed off, but that has nothin to do with football. He was a football player before it all happened its not like he did somethin to another player comitted some crime that actually had somethin to do with the game he played like point shaving. People do change so y should somebody that has already been punished and has been changed no longer be able to play the sport they love.
#42 Posted by danhimself (22480 posts) - - Show Bio

out in the real world if you receive a felony no matter the nature of the charge then most employers will no longer hire you...it doesn't matter what you did or if it relates back to the job you're applying for or not...that charge is on your record and it's not going anywhere

NFL players are just as bad as other celebrities....look at Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton....drug charges and dui's and somehow they get a slap on the wrist and some community service and then they run out and violate probation by doing the same thing over again and they may receive a few days in jail.....in my home state you get your first dui and you lose your driver's license for a year and probation for 6 months...second dui you get 3 months in jail and 5 years on strict probation....but for some reason these celebrities get off with jack shit

now Michael Vick did some of the worst things imaginable to animals who have no ability to defend themselves...any other person's life would have been ruined...finding a job would be near impossible but for some reason Vick gets to continue playing football and continue to make millions of dollars a year....what gets me is that on sundays you still see people wearing the p.o.s.'s jersey and celebrating the animal

celebrities should hold to the same rules and regulations as normal people...they should receive the same punishment as you or I would for the same crime

#43 Posted by inferiorego (22850 posts) - - Show Bio

All I have to say is I'm miss Plaxaco Burress

Staff
#44 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@RoosterCogburn said:
" @iLLituracy said:
Explain "
@Sha said:
" @iLLituracy said:
It's not about their athletic abilities. It's about their "Role Model" duties, that many of them fail in. "
Tomorrow, if I find out that Michael Jordan beats his wife that wouldn't take from what he did for the game of Basketball and the respective franchises. To me, he's not obligated to be a role model, what he gets paid for is to play the game as it should be played. Would I personally be disappointed in Michael Jordan for beating his wife? Yes. But only at that, because that holds no reflection on his standings as an athlete whatsoever, to me.

Tomorrow, if I found out that Michael Jordan took performance enhancing drugs most of his career, I would be highly upset. There's a difference between what should and shouldn't warrant them being barred from being professionals at what they do. What they do off the court doesn't matter pertaining to their career depending on what it is. 
#45 Posted by drkhwk2001 (4433 posts) - - Show Bio

They get paid to play football, not to be perfect citizens. If they pay the penalty for their actions(Jail time, suspentions, fines) or what have you, the law is the law. Unfortunately in this country, the quality of your legal defense depends on the size of your bank account. Alot of people do the same things celebrities do its just not on the 24/7 news cycle. We work with them, live next door to them, and see them on a daily basis. We just don't always know it. We live in a nation of second chances, and unfortunately we love our sports more than we hate thier actions.

#46 Posted by mikethekiller (8389 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the severity of what they did. 

#47 Edited by RoosterCogburn (209 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita:

Isn't the only reason Vick is teaching those kids not to dog fight is because he basically HAS to to keep playing football and in terms of his punishment?

I have no respect for Vick. The dude was the biggest football player in the country, and one of the best.
Made millions. Yet he wanted to fight dogs, torture dogs, and gamble on the fighting.
Things that poor ass scum does for some pocket change.
He's got it made, but still wants to act like a street thug.
#48 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, if the infraction wasn't against the sport. Regardless of one persons ethics, even on seemingly heinous activities,
the NFL is not the judicial system nor should they be taking it's responsibilities into their own hands. When players/stars
do something stupid they're already paying for it, and receiving whatever public humiliation they deserve (and much more
considering their well known). Otherwise their job is just that. Whether they should be pulling shenanigans is a whole different
question, likely not though because at the very least of all they're hurting themselves and the people counting on them, but that
isn't a factor in how they will score a touchdown (and if the stress is affecting that then it should be addressed).

#49 Posted by King Saturn (224025 posts) - - Show Bio
Pro Athletes will always make big mistakes... this isnt something that just started with Michael Vick or Big Ben either...  some of the NFL players of yesteryear were troublemakers too... for the most part the fans are forgiving with athletes when they do crazy shit and get caught for it... as long as they keep winning and being productive all can be forgotten... even for some of the more sicker crimes they commit 
#50 Posted by Y intercept (1436 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
" @RoosterCogburn said:
" @iLLituracy said:
Explain "
@Sha said:
" @iLLituracy said:
It's not about their athletic abilities. It's about their "Role Model" duties, that many of them fail in. "
Tomorrow, if I find out that Michael Jordan beats his wife that wouldn't take from what he did for the game of Basketball and the respective franchises. To me, he's not obligated to be a role model, what he gets paid for is to play the game as it should be played. Would I personally be disappointed in Michael Jordan for beating his wife? Yes. But only at that, because that holds no reflection on his standings as an athlete whatsoever, to me. Tomorrow, if I found out that Michael Jordan took performance enhancing drugs most of his career, I would be highly upset. There's a difference between what should and shouldn't warrant them being barred from being professionals at what they do. What they do off the court doesn't matter pertaining to their career depending on what it is.  "
That's all understandable and I see your point; Athletes don't have to WANT to be Role Models but it's the media that makes them that way. Once they sign that contract they are to adhere to the rules of their respective sports. They being so high in public view, are setting the examples for how the next generation are supposed to act.  (I would probably have an better argument but i don't really watch football so idk)

But look at the "Role Models" who were scadalized in the public and are now suffering performance wise.
Tiger Woods
Mayweather
Marion Jones
That Pacman guy.

Then again there is the other side of the coin, where it only made them better

Kobe Bryant