Should Jay-Z keep making music?

Huey_Freeman34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Some say he's too old for this sh!t. Others applaud him for being able to remain relevant at his age after all this time? What do y'all think? Should he keep going or should he "retire his jersey" once and for all?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he wants to then yea. I enjoy his music until I hear it a 1,000 times on the radio

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care. I don't listen to his new stuff anyway. Its nowhere near as good as his old stuff so I guess he should be done.

Not seeing why him staying relevant is such a big deal either. He's jay-z, he will always be relevant. And he's married to beyonce

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Still better than a lot of other rappers out their (not a diss to the rest of them, I just think he's still that good)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414: new rappers just suck. Guys like wiz khalifa and stuff

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Jay-Z is the greatest MC to ever touch a mic...he will retire when he chooses to retire.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Wiz used to be good. And not all rappers suck

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can quit. He has Beyonce. That is like the ultimate rap goal.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: most new ones do. Nowhere near Jay-z anyway.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@kgb725 said:

In my OPINION, and several other rappers and critics, he is.

He has everything, the lyrical skills, the flow, delivery, and above all else--he knows how to make good records and has a good ear for beats.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether he should or not is sort of irrelevant. I think he shouldn't, but realistically he's going to keep making music as long as the payout outweighs the cost, which is for the forseeable future Id imagine since many people would buy anything he puts out.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

We need one more watch the throne album

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still enjoy his music, so I hope so

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sure, he still makes $$$ so why not, i think his music is alright

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of tired of him. But I wouldn't really care.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, I mean considering the lackluster nature of Commercial Hip Hop anyways... he can stay relevant among the garbage that calls themselves rappers... it's just amazing that a nearly 50 year old man is still rapping about some of the things he does... you would think homeboy would be past some of that sh!t by now.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn: I believe, or at least hope that he doesn't really care about what he raps about in his songs. I know it's been many years since I took mainstream rap seriously, but if he raps about what most of the mainstream has been rapping about for the last decade and a half or so, then hopefully he's just doing that because he knows that's what the buying public will eat up. Or that's what companies are promoting.

I just hope this is the case. Because smh if he isn't past all that.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn: I believe, or at least hope that he doesn't really care about what he raps about in his songs. I know it's been many years since I took mainstream rap seriously, but if he raps about what most of the mainstream has been rapping about for the last decade and a half or so, then hopefully he's just doing that because he knows that's what the buying public will eat up. Or that's what companies are promoting.

Well Jay raps a lot about Money and his Power... and I know he cares about that.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn: Too true. Shame. I wish we could go back to the days when rap was about telling stories of things that happened to the average Joe in the community. Oh well though. My brother raps other peoples' songs which talks about how many girls and cars they have, which always makes me wonder why ordinary people in the street or on the train rap about what is untrue.

It's something I don't get, but whatever.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah why not? As someone who was born and raised in the 90's I enjoy seeing a 90's artist still doing good in the game, im not a huge hov fan but he is hell of a lot better than some of these newer cats.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jeepeh
No Caption Provided

Well this is awkward.

Huey_Freeman34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh said:
No Caption Provided

Well this is awkward.

lol @ the gif.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

No thanks. I know he has money, he knows he has money, we all know he has money and I don't need to hear 12 more songs about it, cause he's already the same shit before.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentyfive said:

Well Jay raps a lot about Money and his Power... and I know he cares about that.

Except when he doesn't. Many tracks on Watch the Throne and Magna Carta Holy Grail are nothing about his money or power. He raps about his children, his legacy, urban violence, and more.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn said:

@twentyfive said:

Except when he doesn't. Many tracks on Watch the Throne and Magna Carta Holy Grail are nothing about his money or power. He raps about his children, his legacy, urban violence, and more.

I think that word "Many" should actually be "Some"... Jay always been rapping about his Money and Power... heck, his Legacy is tied in with his Money and Power so I don't even know why you brought that up... Urban Violence ? What Gangsta Style MC doesn't rap about Urban Violence ? Not a good look, dude.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jay-Z is the greatest MC to ever touch a mic...he will retire when he chooses to retire.

which is never.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo said:

@king_saturn said:

@twentyfive said:

I think that word "Many" should actually be "Some"... Jay always been rapping about his Money and Power... heck, his Legacy is tied in with his Money and Power so I don't even know why you brought that up... Urban Violence ? What Gangsta Style MC doesn't rap about Urban Violence ? Not a good look, dude.

New Day, Murder to Excellence, Why I Love You, FUTW, Somewhere in America, Heaven, Nickles and Dimes, Jay Z Blue, La Familia. None of these tracks really about money or power. Considering I'm only pulling from 2 albums, that's more than most rappers. And his Legacy is more than money and fame, it's about the continuance of that, and it's about the legend and reputation that surrounds a body of work. Sure, a lot of MCs talk about Urban Violence, a lot of them glorify it, but not many explain the concept of black power and urban upliftment as well as Jay and Kanye did on Murder to Excellence (favorite track on that album btw).

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By King_Saturn

@king_saturn said:

@force_echo said:

@king_saturn said:

@twentyfive said:

New Day, Murder to Excellence, Why I Love You, FUTW, Somewhere in America, Heaven, Nickles and Dimes, Jay Z Blue, La Familia. None of these tracks really about money or power. Considering I'm only pulling from 2 albums, that's more than most rappers. And his Legacy is more than money and fame, it's about the continuance of that, and it's about the legend and reputation that surrounds a body of work. Sure, a lot of MCs talk about Urban Violence, a lot of them glorify it, but not many explain the concept of black power and urban upliftment as well as Jay and Kanye did on Murder to Excellence (favorite track on that album btw).

You named 9 tracks not about Money and Power from a possible 28 not including deluxe edition tracks... that means that about 30 percent of the time Jay doesn't mention Money and Power on a record in comparision to the 70 percent of the time he does. Who cares about most rappers... I already said earlier that most of commercial hip hop is lackluster anyways. And pulling from 2 albums a 30 percent variance from his usual tones isn't that impressive anyways... heck, he should be getting away from talking about Money and Power all the time at his age anyways. His Legacy is still about his Money, Power and Swag no matter how you try to cut it and spin it. Who cares ? Jay has also glorified Urban Violence himself anyways... and using a Watch the Throne track as reference to him having a different spin on it isn't all that special... we are talking about a 42 year old man ( at that point ) here... he should be looking for some new material to talk about. Jay still strongly hold to his roots though...

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nahh.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His past 3 albums where pretty lame with only a few good songs from them. He's going to keep making albums irregardless though which I'm fine with, but I just won't hold much interest if he puts out another.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skit said:

His past 3 albums where pretty lame with only a few good songs from them. He's going to keep making albums irregardless though which I'm fine with, but I just won't hold much interest if he puts out another.

Blueprint III was lame?

LOL--no.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Skit

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@skit said:

Blueprint III was lame?

LOL--no.

Compared to American Gangster and pretty much every album previous to it(besides KC and those R Kelly collabs), yeah it was pretty lame IMO. It wasn't a bad album, but it wasn't particularly special, especially when compared to his other albums at that point.