#1 Posted by YoungJustice (6384 posts) - - Show Bio

A few minuets ago my mother and I were talking and we mentioned a girl I used to know named (Just gonna call her Cindy). She lived across the street, went to the same school, rid the same bus, etc. we became very close freinds. Once we were talking and she revealed to me that she'd been raped along with 2 other girls, she was also physically and mentally abused by her alcohol addicted father (Her mother was a drug addict and barely saw her.)The people who raped her where revealed to me, both from my school, but one named (Going to call him Marcus) had been revealed to be my cousin only a few days before. I told her that he was my cousin, but she asked me not to tell. I didn't, but whenever I think of her I can't help but feel depressed. Do you think I should have told someone about this? Coud I have actually helped her out?

#2 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Crime can't go unpunished especially a crime as severe as rape.

#3 Posted by FiMFTW (687 posts) - - Show Bio

You should have -at the very least- notified the authorities.

These guys exist for a reason
#4 Edited by SpideyPresence (1906 posts) - - Show Bio

If she made you promise not to tell, and you value your current relationship with her, stick to your word and don't misplace her trust.

If your fully aware of the possible repercussions of telling someone belonging to the authorities, and care for your friend's safety more than your word to her, then contact the police.

(IMO)

#5 Posted by sagejonathan (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

You should have told. As hard as it may be, it would have been the right thing. Can't let those sick people go on merrily with their lives, thinking they're perfectly fine.

#6 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

#7 Posted by Captain_Yesterday (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpideyPresence said:

If she made you promise not to tell, and you value your current relationship with her, stick to your word and don't misplace her trust.

If your fully aware of the possible repercussions of telling someone belonging to the authorities, and care for your friend's safety more than your word then contact the police.

(IMO)

Agree 100 percent. And where you're intentions may be good a lot of these go unreported because of the shame of the victim. It's sad, but true.

You tell and she has to live through all that again, this time in the public eye. And what if the suspects are found innocent for some reason. It would be even more devastating to her.

I know it's hard, but you have to respect her wishes.

It stories like these that make The Punisher one of my favorite characters.

#8 Posted by pooty (10325 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpideyPresence said:

If she made you promise not to tell, and you value your current relationship with her, stick to your word and don't misplace her trust.

If your fully aware of the possible repercussions of telling someone belonging to the authorities, and care for your friend's safety more than your word then contact the police.

(IMO)

@YoungJustice:

The girl needed to be protected more then she needed your friendship. You should ABSOLUTELY have told. but don't beat yourself up about it now. You were young and i'm sure you would make the right decision now

#9 Posted by akbogert (3150 posts) - - Show Bio

You should talk to her about coming forward. You can say what you want, but in order for anything to happen she has to be willing to make a formal report. If she isn't willing to do that when push comes to shove, getting police or authorities involved will probably result in hurting both of you (but mostly her). So don't spring something like that on her, but do your best to convince her to come forward and show your support. If you could get the other victims to join as well, that would be fantastic. Because if there are a few, there will always be others and more. People who do things like that tend to continue doing it if not stopped.

What a dreadful situation to be in for all of you. I'm truly sorry.

#10 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

If the victim doesn't report this, nothing is going to happen. Otherwise, it doesn't have much to stand on and is kind of like a 'he said, she said' case.

#11 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16875 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that you telling the police wont really solve the situation and that it is her and her friends who need to report it.And yeah it might be a hard thing to do but it is the best thing to do.

#12 Posted by KnightRise (4753 posts) - - Show Bio

You're enabling and allowing these acts to persist emotionally. Alert the authorities and get the girl some damn help.

#13 Posted by BumpyBoo (7215 posts) - - Show Bio

The important person here is the victim, and if she trusted you then I do not believe it is right to betray that trust. After going through so much, it must be hard for her to open up to anyone, and fearing that you might tell someone is arguably the main reason a person would keep a rape hidden from you. At a time like that it is important to be able to talk about what has happened without serious repercussions. You telling the police would have turned her world upside down, left her feeling more out of control than ever. It is her decision to prosecute or not, and no one else's. She is the one who would have to go through the humiliation of cross-examination, being prodded and pried into by strangers, having the whole thing brought out in public, reliving every detail over and over when in reality...chances are after all that there may not even have been a conviction at the end. In short - not a thing you want to put someone through at all.

This is just my opinion, but I think you did the right thing by not betraying her trust. As hard and as frustrating as that is, it was her call - no one else's.

#14 Posted by age_of_ultron_Prime2000 (1217 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice: Go and break his fingers and that beat him to near death and that go after his friends

#15 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

I think these things should be left up to the victim.

#16 Posted by Lvenger (16058 posts) - - Show Bio

You did the right thing don't worry about that. It's of the utmost importance to notify the authorities to deal with the crime to ensure your friend's safety in the future. Even if she doesn't forgive in the short term, she'll gain a long term benefit for your honest actions.

#17 Posted by Pyrogram (32259 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

The important person here is the victim, and if she trusted you then I do not believe it is right to betray that trust. After going through so much, it must be hard for her to open up to anyone, and fearing that you might tell someone is arguably the main reason a person would keep a rape hidden from you. At a time like that it is important to be able to talk about what has happened without serious repercussions. You telling the police would have turned her world upside down, left her feeling more out of control than ever. It is her decision to prosecute or not, and no one else's. She is the one who would have to go through the humiliation of cross-examination, being prodded and pried into by strangers, having the whole thing brought out in public, reliving every detail over and over when in reality...chances are after all that there may not even have been a conviction at the end. In short - not a thing you want to put someone through at all.

This is just my opinion, but I think you did the right thing by not betraying her trust. As hard and as frustrating as that is, it was her call - no one else's.

Ok, that changed my opinion. That is a hell of a good point 0_0

#18 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio
@YoungJustice: Go and break his fingers and that beat him to near death and that go after his friends

Yup, so he can get attempted murder, aggravated assault, battery, and the like charges, himself. Really good advice. Vengeance is always a wonderful vehicle for justice... and exactly why we have a system of laws.

And, on the off chance that the boy was mis-identified for whatever reason, then he did it all for nothing.

#19 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

And you call yourself Young Justice?

Or is this the reason why you call yourself by that name now? Like, the awakening of a Super Hero.

#20 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (14194 posts) - - Show Bio

@FalconPuuunch said:

I think these things should be left up to the victim.

This'd have been my advice..Yeah, maybe try to persuade her to report, but don't betray the trust placed in you. Don't bug her day and night though, and for God's sake don't use some crime and justice speech.

#21 Edited by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

The important person here is the victim, and if she trusted you then I do not believe it is right to betray that trust. After going through so much, it must be hard for her to open up to anyone, and fearing that you might tell someone is arguably the main reason a person would keep a rape hidden from you. At a time like that it is important to be able to talk about what has happened without serious repercussions. You telling the police would have turned her world upside down, left her feeling more out of control than ever. It is her decision to prosecute or not, and no one else's. She is the one who would have to go through the humiliation of cross-examination, being prodded and pried into by strangers, having the whole thing brought out in public, reliving every detail over and over when in reality...chances are after all that there may not even have been a conviction at the end. In short - not a thing you want to put someone through at all.

This is just my opinion, but I think you did the right thing by not betraying her trust. As hard and as frustrating as that is, it was her call - no one else's.

i agree with bumpy its there decision to make not yours, if she opened up to you that means she trusts you with something that most victims would not want to be made public, so if you value that frienship you did the right thing by not saying anything, you can suggest that she can go to the authorities but thats about it, it up to them.

#22 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10341 posts) - - Show Bio
@YoungJustice said:
A few minuets ago my mother and I were talking and we mentioned a girl I used to know named (Just gonna call her Cindy). She lived across the street, went to the same school, rid the same bus, etc. we became very close freinds. Once we were talking and she revealed to me that she'd been raped along with 2 other girls, she was also physically and mentally abused by her alcohol addicted father (Her mother was a drug addict and barely saw her.)The people who raped her where revealed to me, both from my school, but one named (Going to call him Marcus) had been revealed to be my cousin only a few days before. I told her that he was my cousin, but she asked me not to tell. I didn't, but whenever I think of her I can't help but feel depressed. Do you think I should have told someone about this? Coud I have actually helped her out?
How long ago was this? and can you still tell?
#23 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16875 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

The important person here is the victim, and if she trusted you then I do not believe it is right to betray that trust. After going through so much, it must be hard for her to open up to anyone, and fearing that you might tell someone is arguably the main reason a person would keep a rape hidden from you. At a time like that it is important to be able to talk about what has happened without serious repercussions. You telling the police would have turned her world upside down, left her feeling more out of control than ever. It is her decision to prosecute or not, and no one else's. She is the one who would have to go through the humiliation of cross-examination, being prodded and pried into by strangers, having the whole thing brought out in public, reliving every detail over and over when in reality...chances are after all that there may not even have been a conviction at the end. In short - not a thing you want to put someone through at all.

This is just my opinion, but I think you did the right thing by not betraying her trust. As hard and as frustrating as that is, it was her call - no one else's.

Good point and I agree.

But despite all the hardship to go through her trying to get justice for this heinous crime would be the best thing to do.And it is up to her.

#24 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram: How does it lose meaning?

#25 Posted by Pyrogram (32259 posts) - - Show Bio

@VercingetorixTheGreat said:

@Pyrogram: How does it lose meaning?

Beacuse good and evil are not black and white.

#26 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice is more important then your friendship. They did wrong and must be PUNISHED!!!!

but seriously tell the authorities.

#27 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram: Good and Evil, there is nothing good about these individuals who raped this girl. You are right about the Good and Evil not being Black and White but there is absolutely NOTHING THAT CAN JUSTIFY THE CRIMES young justice has described.

#28 Posted by Pyrogram (32259 posts) - - Show Bio

@VercingetorixTheGreat said:

@Pyrogram: Good and Evil, there is nothing good about these individuals who raped this girl. You are right about the Good and Evil not being Black and White but there is absolutely NOTHING THAT CAN JUSTIFY THE CRIMES young justice has described.

¬_¬ I am not talking about that..I was talking about the quote. Genius.

#29 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram: No need to get hostile bud.

#30 Posted by PredatorX (116 posts) - - Show Bio

@FiMFTW said:

You should have -at the very least- notified the authorities.

These guys exist for a reason
#31 Posted by YoungJustice (6384 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nelomaxwell said:

@YoungJustice said:
A few minuets ago my mother and I were talking and we mentioned a girl I used to know named (Just gonna call her Cindy). She lived across the street, went to the same school, rid the same bus, etc. we became very close freinds. Once we were talking and she revealed to me that she'd been raped along with 2 other girls, she was also physically and mentally abused by her alcohol addicted father (Her mother was a drug addict and barely saw her.)The people who raped her where revealed to me, both from my school, but one named (Going to call him Marcus) had been revealed to be my cousin only a few days before. I told her that he was my cousin, but she asked me not to tell. I didn't, but whenever I think of her I can't help but feel depressed. Do you think I should have told someone about this? Coud I have actually helped her out?
How long ago was this? and can you still tell?

It was about 2 years ago, I highly doubt she even remembers me. It's just that every time I see my cousin I can only think of him as a rapist.

Once he my female cousin to go into the woods, I (luckily) got her out of it, but knowing who he really is, things wouldn't have been good if I let her go.

#32 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10341 posts) - - Show Bio
@YoungJustice said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@YoungJustice said:
A few minuets ago my mother and I were talking and we mentioned a girl I used to know named (Just gonna call her Cindy). She lived across the street, went to the same school, rid the same bus, etc. we became very close freinds. Once we were talking and she revealed to me that she'd been raped along with 2 other girls, she was also physically and mentally abused by her alcohol addicted father (Her mother was a drug addict and barely saw her.)The people who raped her where revealed to me, both from my school, but one named (Going to call him Marcus) had been revealed to be my cousin only a few days before. I told her that he was my cousin, but she asked me not to tell. I didn't, but whenever I think of her I can't help but feel depressed. Do you think I should have told someone about this? Coud I have actually helped her out?
How long ago was this? and can you still tell?

It was about 2 years ago, I highly doubt she even remembers me. It's just that every time I see my cousin I can only think of him as a rapist.

Once he my female cousin to go into the woods, I (luckily) got her out of it, but knowing who he really is, things wouldn't have been good if I let her go.

I'm gonna be honest mah n!gga, You need to stop that dude. For 2 reasons 1) you can't convince every female you know to not hang with your cousin. 2) If he rapes someone you know again and you knew about his tendencies you're complicit in the act. 
Your cousin needs some kind of counseling or something, if you gotta be worried about him raping other family members the dude's not well (no offense).
#33 Edited by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

You are getting a lot of opinions -- and without specifics, it's extremely difficult for anyone not involved to give any advice. I do know you are a good person and I am sure you were a good friend to her. Please try not to be depressed about this.

You mentioned not being in contact with her anymore -- but is there a way of getting a hold of her? Just to check up on her? You mention she may not remember you but I would think opposite as she entrusted you with this information.

So -- for your sake, I would try to re-connect with her - see how she is. What she shared with you back then involved a lot of people -- her, two other girls, people she claims raped them. Her father is abusive and an alcoholic. Lots of complicated and serious issues. Maybe during this time things have gotten better, who knows? Either way, you finding a way to communicate with her for your own peace of mind is what I encourage you to do. She would love to hear from an old friend.

As for telling anyone, I think right now your focus should be on her and how she is feeling. Being her friend and showing her she is worth caring for can sometimes propel people into action in terms of facing issues they might be afraid to. Support her.

As for your cousin, like everything else, I don't know the particulars in regards to him. I don't know how old he is, or how close you are to him -- plus the family dynamics between your immediate family and his. There are a lot of things to consider and rape is an extremely serious accusation. If you are confident, beyond a shadow of a doubt your cousin participated in a sexual assault against this girl, and/or the other two -- I think you should be approaching an adult with this information. This shouldn't be left on your shoulders -- you are too young for this kind of pressure. Since you mentioned an instance where you felt another person was in a potentially dangerous situation because of him, then yes, I would encourage you to approach an adult who is trustworthy.

If you feel depressed about this now -- two years later -- imagine how you would feel should something happen now? And -- again, not knowing your cousin's age -- he needs help should these allegations be true. Whether it's in the form of punishment and/or corrective measures, this needs to be addressed. Not by you, by an adult. It's the way it should be. I know you are an extremely mature and intelligent person, I am the first to sing your praises and I have enjoyed many discussions with you but in this instance -- step back.

I wish you luck. And you know I am here for you, okay?

#34 Posted by GhostRider2 (3003 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice: you know that if you tell your cousin is going to be in jail maybe even if you dont mention him(he is your cousin after all) at least take some guys and beat them bad including your cousin.But in the end it is your choice.

#35 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio
@YoungJustice
I would have initiated a discussion with my cousin, and the other guy if I could, to get both sides of the issue before doing anything rash; I would have talked with her to support help her and help her through it, and encouraged her to confide in an adult she could trust.  Being accused does not necessarily mean they are guilty but we, as a society, cannot assume either side to be completely right without a discussion and investigation into the matter.