Should I do something for her for Valentine's day?

• 59 results
KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By KnightRise

SO I've been talking to this girl since December or January. We're not bf/gf (cute terms, eh?) yet, but we're romantically- occasional dates, late night talking, implied exclusivity-"involved", if you will. I genuinely like her, and the only reason I haven't tried a relationship is the fact that she's been away at college. Now, by luck, (I hope, and not stalker craziness) she'll be home on or right after Valentine's day.

Should I, you know, buy her something, take her out to dinner, or something along those lines? I feel like she expects me to do something or else she wouldn't have specifed whent she comes home. Or is that tacky? Or trying too hard?

UPDATE: she won't be home at all this week :( .....but my school has a break next week. I'm going to co-ordinate with her roommates and show up with flowers. $$$$$ out of my pocket for the mini-road trip though

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JonSmith

I'd say take her out. All she can do is say no, and if she says yes, this may be the opportunity to jump forward.

I'd also highly recommend getting a second opinion beyond mine.

Seriously.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By KnightRise

@JonSmith: See, I think she'll say yes

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lucky you go for it.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JonSmith

@KnightRise said:

See, I think she'll say yes

Then by all means, go for it. I'm tempted to say, 'What's the worse that could happen?' But I'll be nice and not curse you like that.

Though again, I can't stress enough getting a second opinion than mine.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

No. Do absolutely nothing.

That always works out.

Trust me.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Blood1991

Might as well go out. Even if you don't want a relationship being alone on Valentine's day is rather depressing.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By darktiger

go for it bro

ToO_RaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ToO_RaW

I'm pretty upfront about this kinda stuff. It just works for me so I'm going to say, if you've banged - yes. If you haven't banged, but you wanna bang - yes. Anything else - Negative.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Ask her out. Women like a man who can exhibit initiative and assertiveness. 

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ssejllenrad

Do it after Valentines day. The day after to be precise. Less crowd and super cheap cause everything "romantic" will now be discounted!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Take her out.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By YoungJustice

When she comes home?

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lykopis

Too cute.

You are to take her out. You do not "ask". You should ask her what day/night she has available -- tell her where to meet you (or you or she picks up the other, whatever fits) and enjoy the day/night. You two are romantically involved already -- treat this like you would your significant other.

Dinner, sure -- a show, great -- but aim for something where the two of you have a lot of one and one time and get her something. Nothing big -- just a little token to let her know she is your Valentine.

Awwh. Seriously. Too cute.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Bruxae

Hard to say without more details but id say at your stage:

Ask her to go on a walk with you whenever is convenient (or go for a smoke if you do that) and give her a small present and tell her happy valentines day.

If you take her out she might be scared off if theres an actual reason she wants to take it slow, pressure is never good.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By satyrgod

Give her the night of her life.  Make it romantic, keep it fun.  Then go down.  Seriously.  Don't imply anything more, it's all about her.  That night.  Then, she'll be yours forever (until you grow tired of the same one all the time and dump her like an over-used cumrag).  But it'll be fun while it lasts!

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KnightRise

I'm going to take her on a less casual date than what we've been doing. Tighten up whatever it is we got going and spring a little gift.

@lykopis: Aww shucks, thanks! *blush*

@YoungJustice: Depends on whether she skips her wednesday-friday classes. Break starts Monday.

@satyrgod: Oh...

One question all: WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I BUY HER??!!

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By akbogert

@KnightRise said:

One question all: WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I BUY HER??!!

Heh. I think you're on your own for that one, because a meaningful gift would require knowing her. Best advice you'll get otherwise is likely to be "roses/chocolate" or "anything but roses/chocolate."

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By satyrgod
@KnightRise: What does she like?  Think classy; nothing leather or inflatable or battery-operated.
Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Blood1991 said:

Might as well go out. Even if you don't want a relationship being alone on Valentine's day is rather depressing.

How so?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Pyrogram

@InnerVenom123 said:

No. Do absolutely nothing.

That always works out.

Trust me.

^^^ This is very wise words :P

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By impossibilly

Not to sound jaded, but I hate going out to eat on Valentine's Day. There's this artificial pressure for everything to be perfect. The restaurants are usually overcrowded and pack extra tables into their space, so you're sitting shoulder to shoulder with the couples at the tables next you. Every restaurant tends to do a "special" prix fixe menu, but all that means is that they're giving you limited options while charging your more. They're big-batching all the dishes, so the quality will be lower than if you went any other night. They want to turn over tables as fast as possible, so you'll be rushed through your meal and out the door once it's over.

You two aren't that serious yet, so I say take her out on Friday or Saturday instead. It will be much easier to get a table. You'll have more options on the menu, and have more time to enjoy each other's company.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Gambit1024

Do it. You'll be upset with yourself if you didn't. I know I would be.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Blood1991

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991 said:

How so?

Kinda a big reminder you aren't seeing someone and you have to sit there and watch couples parade around all day.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Blood1991 said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991 said:

How so?

Kinda a big reminder you aren't seeing someone and you have to sit there and watch couples parade around all day.

Even if you don't want a relationship? I know it bothers people who just happen to be single, but I didn't think it'd bother people who didn't want a relationship.

I'm maybe just basing that on myself though. I don't want to be in a a relationship, but I don't care about what I do for Valentines Day.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By impossibilly

@KnightRise said:

Should I, you know, buy her something, take her out to dinner, or something along those lines? I feel like she expects me to do something or else she wouldn't have specifed whent she comes home. Or is that tacky? Or trying too hard?

If you feel like she's expecting you to do something, I definitely recommend doing something. My biggest recommendation is to plan out what you're going to do. Don't wing it. Poor planning ruins many an evening.

DCsuperman0007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DCsuperman0007

@KnightRise:

with all due respect and it is mean(sorry) but if you have to ask a bunch of comic books nerds like myself for dating advice maybe your not ready yet.

Mr_Hudson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mr_Hudson

@DCsuperman0007 said:

@KnightRise:

with all due respect and it is mean(sorry) but if you have to ask a bunch of comic books nerds like myself for dating advice maybe your not ready yet.

Enjoying comics doesn't mean you're bad with women.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#28  Edited By x_29

Just invite her over to your place for dinner and talk.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KnightRise

@DCsuperman0007 said:

@KnightRise:

@Mr_Hudson:

LOL I do alright on my own, actually. Just gathering opinions and partially sharing good news. Plus, a decent number of Viners are either married, in relationships, or women so their advice works the best.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By impossibilly

@KnightRise: Out of curiosity, what have you decided to do?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Blood1991

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991 said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991 said:

How so?

Even if you don't want a relationship? I know it bothers people who just happen to be single, but I didn't think it'd bother people who didn't want a relationship.

I'm maybe just basing that on myself though. I don't want to be in a a relationship, but I don't care about what I do for Valentines Day.

Why spend a night at alone on a holiday dedicated to love a couples if you don't have too? And I meant if he didn't want a relationship with her they could still go out. Dating doesn't mean being in a committed relationship.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KnightRise

@impossibilly: She won't be home this week unfortunately, but my college has a break next week and I'll probably just go see her. It just sucks that you need an enhanced licnese to cross the Niagra border $$$$

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Zdaybreak

Just be friendly/romantic with her and take her out somewhere(doesn't even have to be a restaurant, somewhere a bit more private like a park is cool too). Chemistry should be up to the two of you and yeah, that should be more than enough to make her day. Maybe give her some flowers so that she thinks of you once the date is done.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Crom-Cruach

He who tries nothing gets nothing.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KnightRise

@Crom-Cruach: haha I can't take you seriously with that avatar. Its like Liefeld tempting my soul

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@KnightRise: Hey Liefeld tried, now as much as we hate him. He's one of the most influential and successful comic creators out there. He took a shot and succeeded. What does that tell you?

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KnightRise

@Crom-Cruach said:

@KnightRise: Hey Liefeld tried, now as much as we hate him. He's one of the most influential and successful comic creators out there. He took a shot and succeeded. What does that tell you?

That I should buy her pouches?

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@KnightRise said:

That I should buy her pouches?

Guaranteed she'll never forget that one for better or worse :P

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#39  Edited By akbogert

@KnightRise: Well it won't help you in this situation, but I recommend putting some money aside and just going for the full passport.

Also, bummer that she won't be home. Your visit idea is good, but in my experience going to such lengths (it sounds like this could be a bit of an ordeal for you) without involving her in the plan can either be the best thing or the worst thing.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Blood1991 said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991 said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991 said:

How so?

Why spend a night at alone on a holiday dedicated to love a couples if you don't have too? And I meant if he didn't want a relationship with her they could still go out. Dating doesn't mean being in a committed relationship.

Oh, I think I get it now. I didn't quite see the difference in 'dating', and 'in a commited relationship'. 'Dating' isn't really used as a term where I'm from, and I don't follow what relationship words mean, so I was bound to get confused. :P

But personally I'm spending it alone as love and couples isn't my kind of thing, and I don't really understand why Valentines Day exists anyway.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By impossibilly

I agree with

What's the turnaround time on upgrading a license to an enhanced one? Would you have it in time for your trip next week?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Blood1991

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991 said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991 said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991 said:

How so?

Oh, I think I get it now. I didn't quite see the difference in 'dating', and 'in a commited relationship'. 'Dating' isn't really used as a term where I'm from, and I don't follow what relationship words mean, so I was bound to get confused. :P

But personally I'm spending it alone as love and couples isn't my kind of thing, and I don't really understand why Valentines Day exists anyway.

Lol no problem and I try to make sense of Valentine's day myself. I feel it just use someones relationship to make money off of the basis that they need to make it "special" by blowing two hundred dollars or more on a nice dinner, a movie, flowers, candy, and jewelry.

Well at least the cards are fun/cute

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Blood1991: I bet that Storm one is for Wolverine. He is a little...conductive... when it comes to her.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Blood1991:I just don't get why their needs to be a day set aside for it. If you like someone, why not just tell them when you want to, not when society says it's O.K.?

They look alright. Apparently the DC Valentines special issue came with cards, but I haven't seen them yet. I don't have a copy as Ebay people are charging too much and I haven't had a chance to get to a shop.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Blood1991

@god_spawn said:

@Blood1991: I bet that Storm one is for Wolverine. He is a little...conductive... when it comes to her.

Someone has jokes about the Marvel couple I want to rip my hair out over I see. Wasp and Black Widow's were my favorite.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991:I just don't get why their needs to be a day set aside for it. If you like someone, why not just tell them when you want to, not when society says it's O.K.?

They look alright. Apparently the DC Valentines special issue came with cards, but I haven't seen them yet. I don't have a copy as Ebay people are charging too much and I haven't had a chance to get to a shop.

I agree if you like or love someone you don't need to have a predetermined day to show them. That is what anniversaries are for.

I didn't bother with the issue. Wonder Woman and Superman bug me too much for it. A female character is almost always pushed aside for the male in the relationship and so far Diana hasn't been any sort of exception.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Blood1991 said:

@god_spawn said:

Someone has jokes about the Marvel couple I want to rip my hair out over I see. Wasp and Black Widow's were my favorite.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I agree if you like or love someone you don't need to have a predetermined day to show them. That is what anniversaries are for.

I didn't bother with the issue. Wonder Woman and Superman bug me too much for it. A female character is almost always pushed aside for the male in the relationship and so far Diana hasn't been any sort of exception.

Exactly.

I don't know what to make of the Wonder Woman/Superman relationship, as I don't read the titles they're in. I have heard a lot of negativity about it. I was really just planning on getting it for the Catwoman/Batman story.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Blood1991

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I really don't know where I stand with Catwoman anymore. Her New 52 version just doesn't have the edge she had before. A character like that is built by their history you know?

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nelomaxwell

@KnightRise said:

SO I've been talking to this girl since December or January. We're not bf/gf (cute terms, eh?) yet, but we're romantically- occasional dates, late night talking, implied exclusivity-"involved", if you will. I genuinely like her, and the only reason I haven't tried a relationship is the fact that she's been away at college. Now, by luck, (I hope, and not stalker craziness) she'll be home on or right after Valentine's day.

UPDATE: she won't be home at all this week :( .....but my school has a break next week. I'm going to co-ordinate with her roommates and show up with flowers. $$$$$ out of my pocket for the mini-road trip though

Son unless you're trying to or gonna smash I'd say don't spend that much for a hi, hello.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Blood1991:Maybe I've read less comics than you, but I've thought it's been O.K. so far.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Blood1991

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Blood1991:Maybe I've read less comics than you, but I've thought it's been O.K. so far.

Hmm maybe I'm just being picky over all the ties she lost especially with the Sirens. I loved that series.