Should I Continue to Stop Street Fights?

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

What happened >

Ok, so tonight I was at my local carnival with some friends from my school. We got off a ride and behind the ride, in between the parking lot and the actual carnival I saw a group of kids (they seemed like middle school - highschoolers, so around my age (I'm in 9th grade)) circled around a kid standing up, kicking another kid who was on the ground. So I ran over (the kids I were with were girls, otherwise they would've helped), and I dropped the kid who was doing the kicking on his back. Then I'm blind sided (thankfully in the meat of my neck, otherwise I may have been KO'd), when I turned around I saw it was the guy getting beaten up. He was mad because I helped him...

Apparently it's taboo to break up a fight because it makes the guy being helped look weak in front of the spectators who also were apparently his "friends". Even still I stand by what I did and would do it again.

My question to you guys is, do you agree with stopping a fight? Or do you think you should let men handle their discrepancies like men? Is their a time when violence is the right answer and to let it happen? Was my response an appropriate one? Or should I have diffused the situation verbally instead of physically? You don't have to answer them all, but I just wanted to hear your thoughts and start a discussion on the matter. I was pretty baffled tbh...

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

aside from those people taking their anger on you if you stop their fight, it's also a man thing to not interfere as much as possible.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why on Earth would anyone be pissed off if you saved them from getting beat up?

I'd rather someone intervened and stopped the fight than get a bunch of bruises, black eyes, scrapes and a bloody nose/lips.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HighAccuser

I don't intervene in fights. If 2 dudes we're having it out, I look at it from the same angle as the dad from Friday. Two men go At it, they trade blows, whoever wins or loses they move on, end of story. However with a lot of fights going more towards the cheap shot angle or escalating to death, I sometimes think about that too. 99% of the time I just stay out of it.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all fun and games till someone goes to jail...

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Bring a Nerf gun next time.

But for real, I wouldn't want to risk my butt. It's not my fight anyway.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao, what a moron

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asking square a$$ guys on Comic for advice on Street Fights! Lmao. That just made my night/early morning!

Jucaslucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoot them.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asking square a$$ guys on Comic for advice on Street Fights! Lmao. That just made my night/early morning!

Lady Shiva has taught me the ancient arts of combat.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

@nerevarine_11 said:

I don't intervene in fights. If 2 dudes we're having it out, I look at it from the same angle as the dad from Friday. Two men go At it, they trade blows, whoever wins or loses they move on, end of story. However with a lot of fights going more towards the cheap shot angle or escalating to death, I sometimes think about that too. 99% of the time I just stay out of it.

Agreed.

That's much better than one of them coming back with a gun. They were mad enough to just punch it out. As long as someone wasn't being murdered, I would let it go. But I admit, I would stand close just in case it went bad, I have seen people do some crazy shit. People are too afraid to chance a fight where they may take a beating or they have to much pride to be undermined verbally nowadays, they just resort to guns and weapons in verbal arguments. It's crazy.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Ask what's going on first so you don't start dropping people for the wrong reasons.

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Appreciate the variance of opinions here.

I know this was probably a joke, but I don't think it's fair to say that everyone on comic vine is some weak, scrawny nerdy guy. Plus this is the only place I really have to come have a serious discussion about something like this.

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae: Very fair point. Though I will defend my stance with a few points if that's cool.

1. If immediate action wasn't taken the kid could've been seriously hurt. One more kid and some serious damage could've been dealt, so I think an immediate response like that was somewhat warranted.
  2. Even if let's say the kid getting beaten up was at fault and deserved what he got, theirs no need for the other guy to continue after he's won.
  3. Looking at the situation from the outside, very much looked like a bullying think as opposed to a mutual discrepancy.

But your point is very valid.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ThePreface

Jump in only after someone's 'lost' or someone tries to pull a weapon or someone else jumps in first. If it's fair, let them handle their business.

And I've been in my fair share of scraps growing up. I only embraced my "nerdiness" after my early 20's

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avoiding a fight is winning the fight. That said, if I had went through your experience. I would just stop directly intervening in fights altogether probably. Just call the police while no one is looking next time, and either go spectate or just leave the scene entirely.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

You can become a vigilante. Anyone, you see a fight on the streets, take those baddies down and save the day.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I would have whooped that little kids ass, honestly...

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP is simply a tough guy who needs to constantly prove his masculinity. This is why we need feminism because of men that constantly have something to prove.

Feminists unite.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

StreetFighter is a great game

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call the police away from view. If you're that concerned about someone getting ganged up on (that you don't know), calling the police will keep the person from being ganged up on and beaten into the hospital. It will also keep YOU

• From going to jail if the cops show up
  • Getting beat up by the same group of guys
  • Having a weapon used on you by either the group of guys, or the pissed off kid

I've been in a lot of fights (that didn't involve my job) and looking back on them, most were stupid and avoidable, the times I tried to help someone like you did I was seconds away from at least one of those three things happening. My bottom line advice, don't fight unless you just really can't avoid it, it's almost never worth it.

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Stay out of it. And don't call the police, that's a bitch move. Just spectate and only intervene if the fight becomes too ridiculous. If it's just two guys going toe to toe, just let them take care of their business.

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The-Seeffiss17

@never_give_up: Joking right? Lol...

EDIT: also appreciate the responses and variance in opinion.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac4e862bd47b
deactivated-5ac4e862bd47b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly just stay out of it and if it gets hectic call the police, on the other hand if one of the guys is looking like he's about to die then I'm sure it's alright to intervene.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jump in only after someone's 'lost' or someone tries to pull a weapon or someone else jumps in first. If it's fair, let them handle their business.

And I've been in my fair share of scraps growing up. I only embraced my "nerdiness" after my early 20's

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the-seeffiss17:

@bruxae said:

Ask what's going on first so you don't start dropping people for the wrong reasons.

This, you can also break fights by calling a person of authority like the police or nearby guards. You are lucky that you are blindsided by a fist rather than a knife.

ghostrider2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

this

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overlordarthas: Fair point. But at a carnival it may have taken to long and the kid on the bottom could've been severely hurt.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#31  Edited By BatWatch

You did the morally right thing though I don't know if it was the practically sensible thing.

If I saw two guys I didn't know fighting without context for what started the fight, I'd stay out of it but keep an eye on it, but once a guy is on the ground and the other guy is wailing on him, it's no longer a fight but a beating. I probably would have talked before punching. I like to put a big smile on my face and say, "Everything alright?" while keeping my eyes firmly upon them. I find people in the midst of doing something bad don't know how to respond to that. If the guy wouldn't stop the beating, then you could get physical. By talking first, you lose the element of surprise, but you gain the chance to resolve the situation peacefully since many people don't like a light shone on their wicked deeds, and in this case, you probably would have avoided getting punched since the guy getting beaten might have told you to stay out of it at which point you should have stayed out of it.

I truly respect you for stepping in on the behalf of someone in need. That's honorable. I get sickened when I see people in need and men do nothing but stand back and watch. It's wrong and morally repugnant.

However, you do need to be fully aware that what you're doing is very dangerous. You got punched in the neck, but you could have been stabbed in the neck or shot in the back. Going into a violent conflict without knowing the context means that there are a ton of variables that can lead to an ugly end for anybody trying to help. That could have been a fight to the death. That could have been a gang initiation. That could have been a couple kids on PCP who feel no pain and don't know who they are trying to kill.

I've never thrown a punch, but I've made a promise to myself that if there is a problem, and I have a significant chance of helping, I'll get involved, and this has lead me to intervene in several ugly situations. I've often checked on a couples I heard screaming at each other in order to make sure the battle was with words and not fists. On one occasion, it turned out to be a wife who had tried to take a knife to the husband. I stayed with him outside his apartment until the police arrived, but I was fully aware that the lady just inside could come out slashing at him or me at any moment. I've spent a lot of time thinking carefully about better ways I might handle a similar situation. More recently, I saw a mother beating a teenage daughter. I and another guy got the mother's attention, and she stopped the beating. The daughter said to call the cops, but she didn't seem to have a problem with her Mom once the beating stopped, and the daughter decided to leave with the mother before the cops arrived.

Though I've inserted myself in these situations, I've been armed with a concealed handgun and I carry a taser in my car, so if thing go bad, I have some insurance. Presumably, you don't have that, so if things go bad for you, they could go very bad very quickly.

All that to say, I respect your actions but weigh your actions carefully.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

First time I've seen one of these threads in a while. You probably did the right thing in these circumstances but there should be non violent solutions or resolutions to conflict investigated first. Meeting violence with violence could lead to events getting more out of hand from the people involved who are angry enough to lash out at anyone else intervening as well.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have stopped it. I think you did the right thing. Just watch out for sucker punches better in the future :P

As for your questions, I'm not real into the whole "fight your own battles" thing. I'll support it in certain circumstances, but not this one. It sounds like the kid was either being hazed or bullied, though there's not much difference between the two. Violence is more likely to stop violence than words are. Action needed to be taken. Like I said, you did the right thing in stopping it.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

I thought you were dead.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jonez120 said:
@bruxae said:

I thought you were dead.

Keep dreaming! ;)

Nah, I left the site, I have had more spare time again lately so I am checking in alot more but mostly stick to PM's, so I don't really consider myself "back" but I guess im around.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehh who cares? Let 'em beat on each other. If it's a mugging or someone is being jumped then it's a different story.

Gwahlur_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's usually three ways to stop a fight:

1. Physically jump in and try to stop it, thus risking injury to yourself
  2. Call the police, which is probably the safest and surest way, but as some others have pointed out, you may "lose face," if that's something that matters to you
  3. Yell "(expletive of your choice) it's the cops" and watch everyone involved scatter in all directions like startled gazelles
DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apathy can be a person's biggest crime.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do it while wearing a cape.

Avatar image for thesilentripper
TheSilentRipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do it. Sometimes things can go out of control and people get killed. No kidding.

Avatar image for serpinethegreen
serpinethegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the-seeffiss17:

You came to the right place. Last time I checked 99% of comicvine were 6'7ft men who have been in more fights than had hot dinners.

Avatar image for deactivated-631c3102b31d4
deactivated-631c3102b31d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serpinethegreen: Thanks for the encouragement man, and I agree some people exaggerate themselves online, but conversely you can't say NO ONE is being truthful when they say they are a big guy or a martial artist or something.

Average height (5'9) and proud! Though hopefully I'll grow...

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serpinethegreen: Thanks for the encouragement man, and I agree some people exaggerate themselves online, but conversely you can't say NO ONE is being truthful when they say they are a big guy or a martial artist or something.

Average height (5'9) and proud! Though hopefully I'll grow...

I beat a dragon once.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By legacy6364
Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't bother, one thing about being a hero is knowing when to be one. In a street fight if it's getting bloody and you legit think someone is going to die you can choose to intervene if you wish otherwise stay out of it.

it's really a question only you can ask yourself. Be on the frontline or stand in the crowd

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers