• 114 results
Edited 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Should Controversial Topics be Allowed on the Off-Topic Board? (74 votes)

Yes 69%
No 31%

Should controversial topics that are known to start arguments be allowed on the Off-Topic board? I get that this part of the website was meant for subjects that are, well, off-topic, but should there still be restrictions? I know that their are restrictions, but they don't seem to be enough. Topics such as religion, abortion, politics, etc, are an argument just waiting to happen.

There are a lot of mature people on this site, but there are a lot of immature people who are just looking to force their beliefs on others. Unfortunitely, even a good number of the older and more mature users tend to get into these arguments. I get that people should have the freedom to discuss whatever they want, but I think there should be restrictions for the more controversial ones. The ones that do more harm than good.

What do you think?

#1 Posted by XImpossibruX (5180 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, people want to argue these things (that's why they last so long), so why not just put it on the off-topic? It is off-topic, or at least create a board called "Controversy 101"

#2 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

It's called off-topic so we can talk about whatever we want in the first place.

It's fun. It's the best forum on the site.

Don't f**k with it.

#3 Edited by warlock360 (28063 posts) - - Show Bio

You Can still chose favourite boards, exclude the off topic boards and you live a happy forum life. I like the off topic boards though :*

#4 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, although dupes and obvious bait threads should be ignored.

#5 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25591 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes,this is Off-Topic after all.

#6 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23253 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind them at all.

#7 Posted by russellmania77 (15676 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah

#8 Posted by judasnixon (6673 posts) - - Show Bio

I rarely comment on them, but love reading them..........

#9 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@ximpossibrux: Clearly a lot of people here take it too far. Arguments and debates are alright as long as they're kept clean, but people people here tend to throw in some insults and it just gets out of hand.

#10 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@ximpossibrux: Clearly a lot of people here take it too far. Arguments and debates are alright as long as they're kept clean, but people people here tend to throw in some insults and it just gets out of hand.

Welcome to the internet.

#11 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123: Yeah, I know what the internet is like. I'm not asking why it's like this, I'm asking if people should allow it to continue.

#12 Posted by Samimista (20833 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol! Same here. xD *shares popcorn with you*

#13 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23253 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@innervenom123: Yeah, I know what the internet is like. I'm not asking why it's like this, I'm asking if people should allow it to continue.

Neutering the off-topic forum isn't an answer to trolls and morons. It's self-destruction.

#15 Posted by laflux (16853 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

*offers a cupcake for some popcorn*

#16 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18417 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes certainly.

The fact that we are able to discuss such issues is actually one of the reasons that has made me stick around. Not saying its the big reason I have but it is one of them. And if it does get to the point where such discussion is no longer allowed that maybe the point were I also resign from this site.

#17 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123: Works for pets.

@dragonborn_ct: George gifs are always welcome in my threads.

#18 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't f**k with it.

The man is a kidder, but this is no joke.

#19 Posted by judasnixon (6673 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by RedLantern23 (890 posts) - - Show Bio

No, they shouldnt. Most of them encourage ignorance and bigotry anyway, which is unnecessary. Besides, a lot of pre teens and teens come to this forum and I doubt half of them who comment on these topics have a valid opinon on them anyway.

#21 Edited by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: I love discussing controversial topics. I like debating and I like arguing. Problem here is that there are a lot of immature kids who just come in looking for a fight. I can ignore them, but it bothers me when others get into arguments. I'm a bit of a pacifist.

#22 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

Hey guys lets go start a Trayvon Martin VS Paula Deen thread! We need more popcorn!

Sh*t like this is why we need Off-topic to stay as is.

@redlantern23 said:

No, they shouldnt. Most of them encourage ignorance and bigotry anyway, which is unnecessary. Besides, a lot of pre teens and teens come to this forum and I doubt half of them who comment on these topics have a valid opinon on them anyway.

Sh*t like this is why we shouldn't listen to people with less than 1,000 posts.

#23 Posted by RedLantern23 (890 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123: is that supposed to be a valid counter arguement? Having 27000 posts doesnt exclude you from being an idiot.

#24 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18417 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@mrdecepticonleader: I love discussing controversial topics. I like debating and I like arguing. Problem here is that there are a lot of immature kids who just come in looking for a fight. I can ignore them, but it bothers me when others get into arguments. I'm a bit of a pacifist.

Same here. I enjoy expressing my opinions on such matters as well. Usually the immature ones are fairly easy to distinguish from people who hold a different viewpoint . I mean there will be immature people who will post in other sections of the site too. They should not change the way the site is just because of a few bad eggs. I mean I have been on this site for quite some time now and it really runs fine the way it is. People post controversial topics we discuss it and in a few days or so the topic is gone.

And the threads that do stick around are the ones that are usually held in a mature manner.

#25 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23: Having 182 posts means you haven't earned the right to speak.

Until I had over a thousand posts people thought I was a gs dupe.

#26 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123 said:

Don't f**k with it.

Correct answer.

#27 Posted by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends, im pretty sick of seeing/hearing about very graphic things since CV is a place I come to when I want to relax and discuss comics or videogames etc in a family friendly forum. Certain topics make me depressed for houres and when theres no way to avoid it even in a family-safe site I feel like I have no choice but to just cut off any contact with people all together or simply allow myself to get depressed, both are undesireable options.

#28 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: People here do take newer users less seriously, but that's because there are a lot of trolls with low post counts.

#30 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: I came to understand that.

But no new user ever gets it. I thought everyone was just being a jerk at first.

#31 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

Depends, im pretty sick of seeing/hearing about very graphic things since CV is a place I come to when I want to relax and discuss comics or videogames etc in a family friendly forum. Certain topics make me depressed for houres and when theres no way to avoid it even in a family-safe site I feel like I have no choice but to just cut off any contact with people all together or simply allow myself to get depressed, both are undesireable options.

Or you could just stay on the Gen. Discussion forum.

#32 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Off topic means off topic. The topic is comics on CV so off topic means not comics. The logic is in the title.

#33 Posted by pooty (11403 posts) - - Show Bio

Without controversy there is very little to debate. If certain debates bother you then you should be mature enough to walk away or only respond to users you respect. If you can't do that then you are as immature as the "Trolls" you speak against.

#34 Posted by RedLantern23 (890 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: According to who? You? I have just as much right to speak as you. And the fact that you think some arbitrary post count on a comic forum gives you some sort of power just shows how immature you are.

#35 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23: Please don't start an argument in this thread. It's just too ironic. It is true that people here take new users less seriously, but you have the same rights as everyone else.

#37 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: According to who? You? I have just as much right to speak as you. And the fact that you think some arbitrary post count on a comic forum gives you some sort of power just shows how immature you are.

We all started off with such idealism.

It's an admirable way of thinking.

But mistaken.

#38 Posted by RedLantern23 (890 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@redlantern23: Please don't start an argument in this thread. It's just too ironic. It is true that people here take new users less seriously, but you have the same rights as everyone else.

CV eats irony for breakfast. This thread will turn into a controversial brawl.

#40 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: I know. It's almost as if it was a set-up.

Dance, puppets.

#41 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

CV eats irony for breakfast.

And frozen bits of leftover MasterJohn.

#42 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite said:

CV eats irony for breakfast.

And frozen bits of leftover MasterJohn.

I love how they banned his other favorite kind of thread and he just dried up and disappeared.

#43 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY... nothing... I don't have enough posts yet

#44 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@awesam said:

Dance, puppets.

Et tu Awesam?

#45 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

Dance, puppets.

Beautiful.

#46 Posted by laflux (16853 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes certainly.

The fact that we are able to discuss such issues is actually one of the reasons that has made me stick around. Not saying its the big reason I have but it is one of them. And if it does get to the point where such discussion is no longer allowed that maybe the point were I also resign from this site.

If that happens, I will mourn your passing....

#47 Edited by Vortex13 (12265 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23: Having 182 posts means you haven't earned the right to speak.

Until I had over a thousand posts people thought I was a gs dupe.

Dude, I wasn't over a thousand post till my first year went by.... Besides people will still not take you seriously even if you tons of post. I.E. @walzo

#48 Posted by Gambit474 (1481 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted no..as the OP said there's just some people who think they can force their opinions or beliefs on others. I also find it pointless to debate all these controversial subjects over the net because you're obviously not going to change people's minds behind a computer screen..It's nothing more then people throwing their opinions around on the net because they can't do it in person. Everyone thinks they're right and that nobody can tell them that they're wrong..I just find it pointless.

#49 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted no..as the OP said there's just some people who think they can force their opinions or beliefs on others. I also find it pointless to debate all these controversial subjects over the net because you're obviously not going to change people's minds behind a computer screen..It's nothing more then people throwing their opinions around on the net because they can't do it in person. Everyone thinks they're right and that nobody can tell them that they're wrong..I just find it pointless.

Then don't go on the internet. It's all about having pointless arguments and fun and sunshine and rainbows and fire and death.

#50 Posted by The Stegman (25077 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, why not.