#1 Posted by SavageBeast (333 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think comics should be sold cheaper in stores or should they remain the same?

#2 Posted by nickzambuto (13664 posts) - - Show Bio

lol the most expensive comic is like, 4 dollars. They can't get any cheaper than that.

#3 Posted by YoungJustice (6841 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

lol the most expensive comic is like, 4 dollars. They can't get any cheaper than that.

I bought a comic for $6.99 once............

#4 Posted by nickzambuto (13664 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

@nickzambuto said:

Holy f*ck what an injustice, get Congress on the phone now and DEMAND they lower the price of comic books, 7 dollars is far to much. You could of used that money to buy 1/5 a gallon of gas.

#5 Posted by YoungJustice (6841 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@YoungJustice said:

@nickzambuto said:

Holy f*ck what an injustice, get Congress on the phone now and DEMAND they lower the price of comic books, 7 dollars is far to much. You could of used that money to buy 1/5 a gallon of gas.

I dont drive.............but I could have gotten an ice cream bar

#6 Posted by JediXMan (30608 posts) - - Show Bio

... what, you expect me to say no?

#7 Posted by _Zombie_ (10443 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a cheap-ass, of course I'm going to say no.

#8 Posted by nickzambuto (13664 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

@nickzambuto said:

@YoungJustice said:

@nickzambuto said:

These God damn comic books are taking the place of food for our nations youth! I demand a cut in price for every comic book by 10%, which is like, a quarter.

#9 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

No. They are already struggling. If you want cheaper comics, get the old stuff.

#10 Posted by No_Trolling (653 posts) - - Show Bio

5 bucks my ass i bought one for 10.99

#11 Posted by YoungJustice (6841 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@YoungJustice said:

@nickzambuto said:

@YoungJustice said:

@nickzambuto said:

These God damn comic books are taking the place of food for our nations youth! I demand a cut in price for every comic book by 10%, which is like, a quarter.

LOL.

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (83782 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics distribution should be expanded into more outlets so the publishers could make their money on volume sold instead of higher prices on less books.

#13 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Digital comics are the solution.

#14 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Comics distribution should be expanded into more outlets so the publishers could make their money on volume sold instead of higher prices on less books.

Yes, the strangle hold Diamond Distribution has on the comic book industry is ridiculous.

@moywar700 said:

Its not the only solution, but its the easiest one that gives comic companies leverage against Diamond.

#15 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio
@moywar700 said:

#16 Posted by PowerHerc (83782 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime`: I bet comics sales would go way up if they were more readily/easily available (re: sold at retail stores, gas stations, convenience stores, etc.) and they were lower in price.

#17 Posted by sagejonathan (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel should lower their price. They'd sell more. 100 regular priced Marvel comics= $400; 100 regular priced DC comics= $300. See the difference.

#18 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love for them to be cheaper as a customer, but in a bussiness point of view they can't get cheaper

#19 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

@Nova`Prime`: I bet comics sales would go way up if they were more readily/easily available (re: sold at retail stores, gas stations, convenience stores, etc.) and they were lower in price.

Totally agree, you not only sell more, because access if greater, but you get younger readers. That's how I got into comics, besides the news stand down the street, there was a small mom and pop rental store that sold comics and I was there every week to pick up the newest Superman title. If the industry continues to keep prices this high, they are going to go under. Digital can only do so much to save them... especially if digital doesn't get cheaper, there is no reason to pay cover price for something that takes nothing to make once its finished.

#20 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Just like they used to be! The direct market really put a hindrance on comics instead of helping it. I wouldn't have started reading comics not for the fact they were being sold by the local grocery store and drug store in the small town I lived in as a kid. It would be nice to see them being sold via other avenues. I DID see a spinner rack in a grocery store in Lincoln, Nebraska not long ago! *sigh*

I would be happy with cheaper paper. Even newsprint. If that would help bring prices down I'd be all for it. I know lesser grade paper causes problems for collectors, but, if taken care of properly, they can last.

Also, stop hiring "big name" people to write comics and giving them big paychecks. Crying out loud, give someone with the desire and talent and willingness to receive a paycheck that won't break the publisher, and that may help as well.

Just my piddlin' two cents.

#21 Posted by PowerHerc (83782 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decept-O said:

@PowerHerc said:

Just like they used to be! The direct market really put a hindrance on comics instead of helping it. I wouldn't have started reading comics not for the fact they were being sold by the local grocery store and drug store in the small town I lived in as a kid. It would be nice to see them being sold via other avenues. I DID see a spinner rack in a grocery store in Lincoln, Nebraska not long ago! *sigh*

I would be happy with cheaper paper. Even newsprint. If that would help bring prices down I'd be all for it. I know lesser grade paper causes problems for collectors, but, if taken care of properly, they can last.

Also, stop hiring "big name" people to write comics and giving them big paychecks. Crying out loud, give someone with the desire and talent and willingness to receive a paycheck that won't break the publisher, and that may help as well.

Just my piddlin' two cents.

Yes, "Just like they used to be!" That's exactly how it was when I was a kid, too.

I forgot to mention grocery stores and drug stores. Thanks for mentioning them.

#22 Posted by BradyDale (61 posts) - - Show Bio

This is such an easy question. They should definitely, definitely, definitely go down. No question. And they should go down online, too.

Comics are definitely a product that will respond to the Price Elasticity of Demand. For certain products, consumers change buying habits significantly based on prices. I am positive this is true for comics, though publishers have never had the guts to really test it as far as I know. If there were a significant drop in prices, people would buy lots more comics. In fact, you'd probably get people buying comics who otherwise wouldn't. A new buyer looks at prices now and thinks: that's just crazy. And they are right.

Elasticity, I expect would, potentially, become especially powerful with digital comics.

But yes. No question. They should print more comics on 80s style newsprint and they should lower the prices. The last time I did the math, if comics had only kept up with inflation since the 80s, they would cost something like $1.60 today. They have gone up so, so much.

It keeps new readers out and it forces many people to buy less than they would.

I have basically quit buying comics. I buy a few digitally, but that's it. It's just too much money for 20 little pages.

#23 Posted by BradyDale (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Don't you think that the over-high prices are part of why they are struggling? They have priced out kids almost entirely. Where's the new audience going to come from? Even adjusted for inflation, the price has doubled per comic per page since the 80s. DOUBLED!

Look at the ways the nominal prices shot up in the 90s.

Further, the number of pages per comic has been going down. We're down to 20 pages per comic now, right? Ever seen a comic from the 60s? They are much thicker. They used to sell way more comics. So not only is the price flying up but you're getting less from what hides inside those ever more expensive covers.

#24 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

@BradyDale said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Don't you think that the over-high prices are part of why they are struggling? They have priced out kids almost entirely. Where's the new audience going to come from? Even adjusted for inflation, the price has doubled per comic per page since the 80s. DOUBLED!

Further, the number of pages per comic has been going down. We're down to 20 pages per comic now, right? Ever seen a comic from the 60s? They are much thicker. They used to sell way more comics. So not only is the price flying up but you're getting less from what hides inside those ever more expensive covers.

Well, people demand better art and writing which takes longer time and more money. I'm sure if people didn't mind terrible 60's art and writing, they wouldn't mind chipping off some of the high costs. Also, the comic following in the 60's, 80's, and 90's was far larger than the one we have now. The comic market is crashing because less and less people think comics are relevant. They either raise the prices for what little fanbase they have now or they die off. I would rather pay a couple more bucks to enjoy solid art and writing than pay less for less quality.

#25 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yes, I don't mind taking a step down in paper quality. And price point is the main reason I DO NOT read a great deal of books right now. In fact when Marvel now rolls around I can say that 99% of the books in it I shan't read and that's due solely to price point.

#26 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini said:

Hell yes, I don't mind taking a step down in paper quality. And price point is the main reason I DO NOT read a great deal of books right now. In fact when Marvel now rolls around I can say that 99% of the books in it I shan't read and that's due solely to price point.

Recycled paper is ugly to look at.I didn't really mind for a novel.

If comics were digital, they would only cost a dollar.

#27 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

yes along with games.

#28 Edited by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: I don't pay for digital comics for the simple fact that they STILL are charging the same price for the physical product as if those production costs still exist in the same format for both. And I'm not necessarily saying recycled paper. But the stock they used back in the day. Hellblazer's paper quality works just fine for me and I wouldn't mind reading all my comics on it.

@BradyDale: Yeah, basically this and a bunch of other more ish too

#29 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@BradyDale said:

Reduce paper quality? Yes. Go back to 80's newsprint? Hell, no. XD They need to bring the average comic down to $2. By that, I mean lower the price of every comic by $1. Maybe they could bring the paper quality down to what it was in the late 90's/early '00 right before the switch to glossy paper. I'm a little reluctant about reducing it back to newsprint due to that the comic may not look as good (blurring of ink) and that 80's newsprint browns, which is something most comics don't do anymore unless you take really crappy care of them.

#30 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

It is cheaper if you subscribe from the company itself it takes longer to get in the mail, but you save over twenty percent per year.

#32 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

This.

All the comics in my town are in this big book store in the very back with all the magazines, so I guess they make the comics the same price as the magazines.

#33 Posted by SmoothJammin (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

I have an old issue of Teen Titans where an angry fan is scrutinizing the writer(Marv Wolfman) for the direction his story was heading and in the end of the Q&A letter, threatened to drop the comic and spend their hard earned 75 cents somewhere else lol. The 80's must have been a great time to be a reader.