Discuss.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mandarinestro

Keep flamebaiting and see if there's any progress.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

You make horrible threads...

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mandarinestro: I'm not "flamebaiting". I'm posing thought and discussion provoking questions. Please don't insult me again. Enjoy your day good sir.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matthewparker: I'm sorry you feel that way. Perhaps you shouldn't post if you feel that way.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Transformers1024
Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gymgoer205
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Transformers1024

@gymgoer205: It's not all - and perhaps it's because I have something to say about whatever your trying to start a flame war about?

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: It's nearly every one. You rarely post on the topic at hand, usually just come in and troll me. I've already asked you to stop on another thread. Please stop trolling my threads sir.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please stop derailing my thread everyone.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt they deserve that much money.

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yes, there is a high demand to see them entertain. Why shouldn't they be paid accordingly?

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gymgoer205: No - really prove me wrong. I rarely post at the topic at hand? Show me other threads where I have done that. It's always been a reply to you (about the topic at hand) or voicing an opinion.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gymgoer205

@renchamp: I can't post the full article because it's limiting how many characters can be posted in the title.

I post the full title for all my threads unless the character limit forces me not too.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

It is a little silly that people get paid so much to play a game, but considering the revenue and popularity the sports generate, it would be criminal not to pay them what they get and more frankly. The NFL is a nearly 10 billion dollar a year business.

If we don't want to them make that much money we have to stop paying to see them, the apparel, etc.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: Why not?

If I go out and play a game of football with my friends and get 5 touchdowns, why don't I get millions of dollars?

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jeepeh

@jeepeh: Why not?

If I go out and play a game of football with my friends and get 5 touchdowns, why don't I get millions of dollars?

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: Because nobody is paying to see you play or for your merchandise.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: Because nobody is paying to see you play or for your merchandise.

What if we invite other friends to watch? lol.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: If they're paying to see you, you should get a good piece of the money in my opinion.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. I mean, it does suck that they are being paid much more than people like teachers or cops, but it is supply and demand.

Ex: if a baseball player is amazing, it is only natural for him to be paid highly so they can keep him on their team. Of course, what people forget is that majority of players in any sport only get a good or even mediocre pay.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: If they're paying to see you, you should get a good piece of the money in my opinion.

Not Millions of dollars though. ~_~

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: If people were paying millions of dollars to see you play then you should receive a lot more money. Perhaps you should work on your game if you want people to think you're worth paying to see play.

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Athletes and Entertainers work hard and we put money in their pockets for showing us why so yes.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: If people were paying millions of dollars to see you play then you should receive a lot more money. Perhaps you should work on your game if you want people to think you're worth paying to see play.

No one individual spends millions of dollars. You can't tell me that they need that much money for training and playing a game. And who said I even play football? It was a metaphor, I don't have enough friends to play football e.e

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mortein

Top athletes and entertainers with millions of dollars are inevitable product of our current economic system. I do however think that it might be possible to built a different system in which they are not paid as much, which would be beneficial for the vast majority of people.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

For glory sake, for vengeance sake, WAR!!!!!!::::: words of Xerxes.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

That they get paid as well as they do is partly to offset that (sports)stars generally have very short careers compared to the rest of us, they live under constant public scrutiny and they are paid to excel within a certain field same as those who are highly educated.

What is problematic is perhaps, mostly in the US, that you can be good at sports and pretty much breeze through college only to end up not being good enough for the proffesional league and basically end up with next to nothing.

Hayden86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By Hayden86
Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#45 SC  Moderator

Should they? Well should questions are difficult when its usually about the why and how. There is an idea that many types of modern entertainers are like histories Roman's gladiators, they entertain the masses and help to alleviate the boredom, strain and dullness of life for those masses. So many are paid for that and well thats not so strange, in comics its characters like Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Spider-man that are most profitable, and these characters tend to be on the more fantastic, wish fulfillment-esque side, inspirational, aspirational, as opposed to say characters who interesting but fairly normal in comparison.

So more people traditionally tend to invest a certain way and it is what it is. Personally, I would generally prefer that the way we invested was different, to use comics as a comparison because its a bit simpler to do so, there are lots of comics, and series that I think are very underrated and under appreciated, not that people shouldn't still keep supporting Wolverine, Superman etc I still buy those characters books myself but I also get a lot of great stories just because they are great stories, even if the company character, writer and artist aren't well known. In comics industry thats actually something that will invariably happen, because of technology. More exposure for smaller publishes and people willing to experiment and look for smaller titles. In comparison good teachers or doctors being rewarded more for being relatively better than others as an idea versus movie and athletic celebrities rewards for entertaining is much more complex and nuance.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: If enough people are coming to watch you play that your games generate millions of dollars in a day, why don't you think that you should be paid millions of dollars? What would you consider a fair salary?

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They do give a lot of people jobs. The people who build the stadium, the lighting people, the people who cut the grass/take care of the court, the janitors, the vendors, the security ect. So I think they should get paid a lot for that. And tons of people pay to see the games so the company makes a lot of money to give them.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@renchamp said:

I'll weigh in: Anytime you don't post the full title to a thread so that users have to click the thread to see exactly what it is you are talking about...

That's a bait thread.

Discuss.

Straight to the point. Discussion over.

As for this thread's topic, they aren't being paid with our tax dollars so whatever money they are earning, it's being driven by us, the consumers. If anything, it's a reflection on our society as to what we feel is worth more. This includes "non" celebrities like the Kardashians. They amuse, grab our attention and voila, they make money. There's a complexity when it comes to team and studio ownership and how the money is broken down but that's what they have agents/unions for. If anyone wants this to change, change your spending habits, and especially change what you pay attention to. Advertising is where the real money is at, and the more clicks, the more demand and the more money generated.

I always found it strange how some people don't see their own hypocrisy in this. I am well aware of mine, that's for sure.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: If enough people are coming to watch you play that your games generate millions of dollars in a day, why don't you think that you should be paid millions of dollars? What would you consider a fair salary?

If the game generates millions of dollars, then how do they pay for the lights, the food, all the expenses, and still be able to pay each player that much? ~.~

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#50 frozen  Moderator