SCOTUS upholds Obamacare, legalizes SSM, "conservatives" have hissy fit

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

( Full disclosure called for here: I am straight, but it would almost be worth being gay to rejoice over the hissy fit self styled "conservatives" are having the US Supreme Court's upholding of "Obamacare subsidies" and legalizing gay marriage nationwide)

Well, this HAS not been a very good month for America's "conservatives"( I use the word advisedly as to quote Alan Dershowitz, they are less traditional conservatives as envisaged by Edmund Burke or maybe even William F.Buckley than authoritarian statists and virtual theocrats).

Firstly there was the Pope's encyclical on climate change,( which caused Rick Santorum and Jeb Bush to freak out- presumably they only follow church teaching when it reflects their political prejudices vis a vis abortion and SSM!).

Secondly, in rapid succession the Supreme Court saved the ACA(Or Obamacare as it is derisively known) and thirdly, it legalized gay marriage nationwide.

Response from "conservatives"- what can only be called the "Chicken Little" effect( "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!"). So far we have threats of mass disobedience, even secession, Chief Justice John Roberts being called a "traitor" on social media sites- despite being a conservative appointed by George W. Bush, claims that the ruling will lead to the persecution and outlawing of Christianity as well as ludicrous assertions that clergy of all denominations will be compelled to marry same sex couples against their will and their denomination's teachings!)

First things first: IF YOU DON'T WANT TO MARRY A MEMBER OF YOUR OWN SEX THEN NO ONE WILL FORCE YOU TO DO SO AGAINST YOUR WILL ANY MORE THAN YOU CAN BE FORCED TO MARRY SOMEONE OF A DIFFERING RACE /RELIGION!!!

Secondly whom opponents of SSM cite "religious freedom " as justification for opposing SSM what they are really arguing is reedom to force their religious beliefs to be given the sanction of law- a form of de facto establishment of religion- as I have observed before and will say so again, how depressing it is to see Americans yearning for the same state mandated religious orthodoxy their forefathers fled to the New World to escape. If opponents of SSM wish to move en masse to a polity where their prejudices have the force of law, here are some helpful destinations: , Saudi Arabia, Putin's Russia, ISIS territory, Iran, Pakistan.

Anybody think as I do?

Terry

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Agree.

~MiB

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

better hissy fit than burning crosses and hanging homosex on trees, consider it progress

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

better hissy fit than burning crosses and hanging homosex on trees, consider it progress

I don't see why they are upset about Obamacare. I think its good. And since when did United States of America collectively start a mass killing of gay people???

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Comicvine continues to be a news outlet.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil's advocate line of argument here: does the SCOTUS get it wrong at times? Yes, to be fair it does( see "Dred Scott" "Plessy v Ferguson" "Korematsu" "Roe v Wade" and possibly others) Did SCOTUS get it wrong on Obergefell? I don't think so! For it to rule any other way it would have to say in effect- we're sorry but (a) religious dogma trumps basic civil and human rights (b) LGBT people are effectively not human beings(and to quote then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, gay rights ARE human rights) with all that implies. A lot of BS will be written about SSM being an"abomination in the eyes of God". To my mind, to the admittedly limited extent I can understand God's mind whilst on Earth, what is arguably an "abomination" in His eyes is wilful cruelty and injustice!

Anybody think as I do?

Terry

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

I don't see why they are upset about Obamacare. I think its good. And since when did United States of America collectively start a mass killing of gay people???

Didn't they do that to blacks back then?

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:
@dum529001 said:
@vivide said:

Didn't they do that to blacks back then?

What do black people have to do with it???

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot- see "Loving v Virginia" 1967 ruling by the US Supreme Court which struck down so-called anti misecegenation ( ie laws banning interracial marriage between blacks and whites) laws on Wikipedia. Not just LGBT activists but two "straight"(as I am) commentators- then California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and actor Samuel L.Jackson( who is of course African American) expressly compared Proposition 8( an initiative which banned SSM in California) to laws banning interracial marriage. And of course LGBT people(of all races) expressly compare their community to stigmatized and oppressed minority groups such African Americans during slavery and "Jim Crow" segregation!

Terry