• 85 results
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Poll Scottish Referendum Poll (54 votes)

YES 43%
NO 57%

Todays the big day where Scotland votes for it's future. So everybody in Comic Vine gets to vote as well. Yes or No!

• 
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

Whats the point in being apart of a country where we don't even get to decided who runs things?

Yeah but you do. Whenever Labour win, you do.

Not really, the majority is usually Lib Dem vote with a large chunk in the middle as labour. But when an entire country votes against something and then is forced to have it anyway there is a very large problem.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@lvenger said:

@frozen said:

@xaos said:

I voted no.

I 'm not scottish, but I don't think they've got what's necessary to assure some economical viability without Great Britain.

Entirely untrue.

Based on what? They won't get the pound if they go independent and many major businesses and big execs have implied they'll move if Scotland go independent. Moreover, they won't get support from NATO and the EU. A friend who studies politics has told me that Spain and Germany will veto Scotland's request to join the EU so they'll be isolated from the rest of the world.

They can't actually stop Scotland from getting the pound, It's a recognised internationally currency. And say if they did somehow stop it then that means all the dept Scotland owes under the pound would be dumped in England's lap and they would have to pay it all off themselves.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@frozen: Emphasis on "the long run" for India. It's taken them decades to become financially and economically stable to stand on their own two feet. Scotland would have the exact same trials and tribulations to go through. And why wouldn't big businesses and executives move out of Scotland if they go independent? It's like a lone deer being cut off from the herd, it becomes isolated and vulnerable. There's not as much profit or reason to invest in Scotland, even with the oil reserves, because Britain have been the ones who manage it. And I fail to see how the BBC has done any fear mongering. They've been biased of course but fear mongering? I don't see proof for that claim

Moreover, I find McCavoy's 'national pride' arguments to be vastly overrated. It's letting emotion cloud logic and nationalistic fervour is frankly not good enough to choose to leave a country. There's no evidence, no good reason and no sense in it. I don't believe in nationalism or patriotism myself and I didn't think you did either. Your choice though, I find the political and economic arguments have far more bearing than the flawed ideals of grouchy freedom calling lovers in Scotland.

@jonny_anonymous Source for this? The economists and bankers I've heard on the radio and in articles I've read have consistently said that Scotland aren't likely to keep the pound if they go independent. It's the banks who control the pound and I find it hard to believe they'll let Scotland keep the pound if they leave tomorrow.

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Xenonyte

@sheenlantern said:

@thedailybagel: Scotland owns more than 60% of all of Europe's oil....

Scotland's oil is run and technically owned by French power companies such as EDF and other companies such as BP (it was sold off during Brown's time as PM). And the reference to Scotland being the 7th richest country in the world is also incorrect. If that statement was true then why are banks, investors and other large companies moving down to England in case Scotland gains independence? Even the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) is moving out of Scotland - would they do this if they were going to become the 7th richest country in the world? No. And Norway is a bigger provider of oil, but none as big as Russia. If Scotland wins then it's predicted another financial crisis will occur due to an increase in inflation, both to Scotland and the rest of the UK.

And no, Scotland does not have the potential for alternative energies, seeing as they are highly expensive to implement and have not achieved energy generation:energy usage in manufacture/maintenance ratio that would allow it to efficiently meet energy demands at a national level. From your other statements it is more than clear that you are deluding yourself with what repercussions Scotland's independence has on itself and the rest of the UK. Plus the comment aimed at insulting the Parliament and its ministers and implying them to be greedy is also not entirely true - if Parliament aka England was so greedy then why would it grant free university to Scottish residents whilst the rest of the UK have to pay to attend university? And have you taken into account that it has been predicted that around about 60% of Scottish residents are on some form of benefits? (BBC or Sky News stated this) How will an independent Scotland sustain that? I'm not Scottish nor English for that matter but that has no influence on my opinion/view. Plus, I respect your view/opinion but there's no reason to force your opinion on other Viners.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 rogueshadow  Moderator

I say no for the reasons delineated in the other thread.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Scotland is Englands biggest trading partner after the US, cutting us off from the pound is like shooting themselves in the foot as well as saddling themselves with a crap ton more debt.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58 Lunacyde  Moderator

Maybe because Britain has oppressed and repressed the Scottish people for centuries and they deserve their own sovereignty and self-determination. They deserve to control their own affairs. England doesn't own them.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What are the cons for Scotland being independent?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightsofdarkness2 said:

What are the cons for Scotland being independent?

Things might go bad.

Money might go down.

There's no going back.

JK Rowling disagrees with it.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Noone301994

Of course!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Hmmm, the reasons you stated aren't that big of a biggie ( since you said might) plus I think Scottish people deserve their freedom, so I vote yes.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By bigcimmerian

PLEASE NATO FREE SCOTLAND FROM QUEEN'S OPRESSION!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightsofdarkness2: You just deconstructed the whole No campaign. Congratulations.

FRREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOM

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpion2501: Not sure. I think it depends on how quickly they count the votes.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

It's not even freedom.

Scotland will still be part of the EU, and like the UK, be the EU's b!tch.

lol

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

Whats the point in being apart of a country where we don't even get to decided who runs things?

Yeah but you do. Whenever Labour win, you do.

Not really, the majority is usually Lib Dem vote with a large chunk in the middle as labour. But when an entire country votes against something and then is forced to have it anyway there is a very large problem.

So, in other words, the current Coalition government IS all your fault. If it wasn't for the number of Scottish people who voted for the Lib Dems in the last general election, they'd have never have been able to come to their power-sharing agreement with the Tories. IMHO, I'd vote No, simply because of the behaviour of the Yes Campaigners. Vandalism, racially motivated violence, roaming the streets in gangsFor instance- today, trains were delayed on the line between Kings Cross St Pancras and Inverness, potentially preventing thousands of people from returning to Scotland from England in order to cast their votes (safe to assume that most of them would have been No voters?), due to the windscreen of a train having been struck by an object in a tunnel. Suspiscious circumstances, methinks. And Alex Salmond's rhetoric seems to be more and more evocative of the young Adolf Hitler, back in the day. Or Robert Mugabe. "We will get what we want, because everyone- The BoE, the EU, NATO, OPED, the whole lot of them- will all bow to our demands, whether they want to or not, because they're scared of us, and because we shall have power over them!" I mean, really? Is the man even capable of actually answering any of the questions posed to him by the Scottish voters? From what I can see, him and the Yes campaigners were the ones using scaremongering tactics most of all, not the No campaigners. All because Salmond and the SNP want are to be the supreme rulers of a new sovereign state, in spite of only having 14% of the Scottish vote in the last General Election. That doesn't sound like a good basis for Democracy to me- it sounds more like a foundation upon which to establish a Dictatorship...

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I voted no (in this poll not the actual one since I am not Scottish)

But at the end of the day the vote will decide what the majority of Scotland want. If they do become independent best of luck, if not, then maybe things could still change with how things are run over there.

I really don't hold a strong opinion either way.

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Scotland swore that they would default on their share of the debt in the event that they become independent anyway. It's one of the only solid pledges which Salmond has actually stated over the course of the campaign. So why shouldn't the rest of the UK cut Scotland off? Scotland receives around £6Bn more per annum in public funding from the rest of the UK than it generates from its own economy. And Salmond still hasn't offered any solutions as to how they're going to plug that £6Bn deficit, other than swearing that the act of scrapping the £50Bn Trident Program alone (which is funded primarily by the rest of the UK, has already been paid for in its entirety through loans, and has a net positive impact on the Scottish economy) will be enough to solve Scotland's deficit for the new few decades. The man doesn't have a clue.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By silent_bomber

I've found it kind of sad that nobody (including the no voters) thinks that Britain should stay together because, you know, we make an awesome team that kick's asses, takes names and punches well above our weight in worldwide politics, economy etc etc.

Nobody seems to consider us to be a band of brothers, all this time together and we're all still so... separate.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SunDeep

@rouflex: Someone posted that video already, earlier in the thread. Sorry... :(

Avatar image for yellow_lantern9
Yellow_Lantern9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Yellow_Lantern9

As an American (and ironically a rebel state South Carolinan), I believe that Scotland should stay with the UK. Entirely from a selfish nationalistic standpoint, 'Murica would prefer a solid, united UK to back us up in our never ending wars and political drama. Plus, you guys are stronger together too, but whatever.

Dark times are a' comin' what with evermore imperialistic Russia and an evermore aggressive China. We need to stick together.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yisssssssssssss...

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ouiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

@sundeep said:

@rouflex: Someone posted that video already, earlier in the thread. Sorry... :(

I didnt notice

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, what a relief. Did anyone order Smoked Salmond or Fried Sturgeon...?

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Looks like the Union remains unbroken lads.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care what Scottish people think but no, because another financial crisis would be the last thing my country needs.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sundeep: I'm sorry but I can't take you serious at all....

SunDeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By SunDeep

@jonny_anonymous: Why not? My brother's lived in Glasgow with his Scottish wife for the last five years or so, and he has dark skin, so he experienced the nastier side of the 'Yes' Campaign first-hand. And look at the number crunching. Scotland receives at least 10% more public funding per capita than the UK as a whole, around 12% more than England does. They're the ones being subsidised by the English, and it's about time that we got an English Parliament as well- ideally located somewhere other than Westminster, outside Greater London. Oxford? Canterbury? Or perhaps York?

P.S, and that last comment which I posted wasn't meant to be taken seriously at all. Don't take it so personally...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagine living in a country where your chance at independence is squandered by vote-rigging.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I won't lie and say that I am not happy that Scotland is staying as part of the UK. I wasn't that surprised by the result either.

10 percent difference too.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It didn't pass.

It would've been interesting if it had.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*world's tiniest violin*

:'(

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised. I really am. England better get cracking on all their promises to Scotland, which as I understand it, Cameron has indicated he will, along with discussions about the UK as whole (Wales, Northern Ireland, etc.)

I wish the best for Scotland and its people.

Edit: Interesting how this poll almost mirrored the result.