• 85 results
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Poll Scottish Referendum Poll (54 votes)

YES 43%
NO 57%

Todays the big day where Scotland votes for it's future. So everybody in Comic Vine gets to vote as well. Yes or No!

• 
Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Oooh i'm excited.

I don't really have an opinion (since i'm Turkish). It's up to the Scottish people.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'll see what my Scottish friend wants and that's what I'll vote. Cuz otherwise I don't have a stance. @i_like_swords:

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3 frozen  Moderator

I voted yes.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Personally I'm still in the No camp myself though not ardently and passionately.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5 thedailybagel  Moderator

I'm going no on this one.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thedailybagel  Moderator

@frozen: what are the advantages to voting yes?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 frozen  Moderator
thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thedailybagel  Moderator
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 frozen  Moderator

@thedailybagel: I'm not Scottish by the way; but the point still stands.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thedailybagel  Moderator

@frozen: yeah, I guessed :P.

I'm not either, I know a few people who are though and they want to vote no. Other than national pride though I don't see what they're getting from being independent. All the banks and big business will move down to England, lots of wealthy individuals will move due to tax increases (I know someone who will move if Scotland vote yes) and most of the economy will rely in North Sea oil and that won't last very long. I just don't see the benefits of it other than being able to say "I'm independent!".

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@thedailybagel: As part of the UK the Scottish vote in elections means almost nothing. Nearly every general election for years now as went the complete opposite from what Scotland voted. For instance in the last general election only one constituency in the whole of Scotland voted conservative and yet we get lumped with them anyway. Whats the point in being apart of a country where we don't even get to decided who runs things?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Whats the point in being apart of a country where we don't even get to decided who runs things?

Yeah but you do. Whenever Labour win, you do.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thedailybagel  Moderator
SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#15 BumpyBoo  Moderator

As a Welsh person, this feels very much like having a really cool older sibling move away from the family home, only to be left with the charming but aggravating middle child who always teases you and cuts the heads off your dolls :( Please don't leave us with England, Scotland! We'll do all your chores and we won't tell mum you smoke and we'll leave you alone all the time and never touch your stuff again we promise! Don't leave us! *cries* Pleeeee-eee-eeease!

Seriously though, I honestly feel the Scottish people need to do what is right for their country in the long term, and if that means independence then so be it. If it will give them a brighter future from a political and economic standpoint, and it makes them happy, then that is something for them to decide. But they will definitely be sadly missed.

(Also NOW can we have a dragon on the flag? Can we at least be on it? -_- )

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator
Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose
SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: Scotland owns more than 60% of all of Europe's oil....

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BumpyBoo  Moderator
thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator
thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thedailybagel  Moderator

@sheenlantern: where are you getting these figures from? And again, what happens when the oil runs out? Which will be pretty soon actually...

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@thedailybagel: @bumpyboo: I think there's a bit of worry about a loss of brand recognition if the flag has to change, so this seems like a little twist that could still be recognisable, and easy enough to change on the 20 or so other flags that include this.

Even if Scotland stays, I'd be happy enough to give up some blue to get some green on the flag. I know that technically Wales is represented by Englands share, but that doesn't seem fair. Half blue/half green could be a compromise?

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: Geez, you're really educated in this debate, aren't you?

what happens when the oil runs out? Which will be pretty soon actually...

Oh yes, because it's going to last so much bloody longer in Westminster's greasy paws, isn't it? And I'm sure it will go entirely to the good of Scotland, because as we all know, Scotland can't be trusted to pursue it's own interests, we need people who are notoriously unsympathetic and uncaring about Scotland to decide where it's resources are spent.

Get your head out of your ass.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@v_scarlotte_rose: I agree, when you consider the countries across the Commonwealth that a flag change would affect, it kind of hits home how serious this really is. Can imagine it would be a pretty costly thing to do and as you said, there's also the brand recognition factor. The Union Jack as it is today is iconic, and losing that means taking a pretty significant cultural identity hit.

Ah that's really nice though :) Have always thought it was kind of unfair too, and your idea is a lot more subtle than the flag suggested at one point by Ian Lucas (among others):

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By frozen  Moderator

While I would very much like to see Scotland gain independence, it won't happen: the British media have acted as fear mongerers in this.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

While I would very much like to see Scotland gain independence, it won't happen: the British media have acted as fear mongerers in this.

Maybe not, but in ten years time when nothing has changed and this whole thing starts up again, they won't be able to trick people into voting No a second time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@The_Deathstroker said:

I'll see what my Scottish friend wants and that's what I'll vote. Cuz otherwise I don't have a stance. @i_like_swords:

FREEEEEDOOOOOOOM

Having said that, the No campaign, Alistair "I dye my eyebrows black even though I have white hair" Darling, and David Cameron & Co were a big part of why I voted yes. Their campaign was built on the foundation that if Scotland goes independent, bad things "might happen". That, "there's no going back".. and that we're "better together". Nonsense.

Scotland is entirely capable of running it's own affairs, and with the WMDs removed from the Clyde, and our natrual resources properly tapped into, we can become a self sustaining nation. There is no "might" about it - it's whether or not people will trust themselves to get up and do it.

The "there's no going back" argument is just stupid. Nobody who is voting yes plans to go back.

And nah, we're not better together - the union has gaping fundamental flaws which have brought us to this point. An English vote is worth just as much as a Scottish vote, therefore if the majority of England decide they want to elect Hitlers little cousin as Emperor, Scotland can't do anything about it with our population of 5 million - which is why we have a Torie government we don't want.

To add to the nonsense, Gordon Brown and the other No campaigners have been preaching about how going independent means "severing all ties" and the rest of it - no, that's not what it means. It just means that Scottish people are going to run their own country and elect the people they want into power. We can still cooperate economically, militaristically and politically with the rest of the UK. More scare-mongering.

Oh what else.. yeah, apparently there's also a great deal of uncertainty in regards to how Scotland's economy is going to fare if we go independent. I find that pretty rich coming from the two numbskulls who were responsible for our recent recession - Alistair "Eyebrows" Darling and Gordon Brown.

The No Campaign have been preying on people who barely read into politics, apart from watching the selective clips the Biased Broadcasting Corporation throw up on our screens every night - people who have decided that they can't think for themselves, and are happy to buy into the fear-mongering of the No Campaign, who evidently have a lot of the media in their pockets.

It would be throwing away a legitimate opportunity at something better if Scotland votes no just because of a few speculative wet-your-bed night time fairy tales about "uncertainty" and "severing ties". I have no problem with the rest of the UK and would happily see us working together, but Scotland needs to be able to decide what's best for itself.

In other news, Germany have released a statement on the matter:

Loading Video...

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thedailybagel  Moderator

@sheenlantern: nice way of avoiding questions. I never said anyone would spend it better, I simply said that Scotland's economy will largely rely on oil, what happens when that runs out? I never said anything about anything else. Instead of resorting to an emotional outburst either a) answer the questions, or b) admit you can't.

Simple as that really...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: You might need to have a word Bumps for inappropriate behaviour and insulting other people for having different but sound opinions to Mr Know it All.

Oh yes, because it's going to last so much bloody longer in Westminster's greasy paws, isn't it? And I'm sure it will go entirely to the good of Scotland, because as we all know, Scotland can't be trusted to pursue it's own interests, we need people who are notoriously unsympathetic and uncaring about Scotland to decide where it's resources are spent.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SheenLantern

@thedailybagel: News flash; practically every economy in the world relies on oil. Regardless, Scotland has one of the highest potentials for geothermal, tidal and practically every source of alternate energies.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator

@lvenger: literally all I said is where he got the figures from... I never disagreed with his opinions and I'm honestly not that infused with either side of the argument, however I know people that are.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By consolemaster001
SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thedailybagel  Moderator

@sheenlantern: oil plays a part in every economy in the world, it's not vital to all of them. Dubai for example is swimming in oil, Australia however...

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted no.

I 'm not scottish, but I don't think they've got what's necessary to assure some economical viability without Great Britain.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: And it won't be 'vital' to Scotland's, so what's your point?

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thedailybagel  Moderator
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@xaos said:

I voted no.

I 'm not scottish, but I don't think they've got what's necessary to assure some economical viability without Great Britain.

Entirely untrue.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@consolemaster001: Oh god, are you a stalker?

Maybe....nice shirt.

lol no you said it in this thread : http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic-5/1923-2013-1508794/

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: We're talking decades before Scotland's natural resources begin to decline, and even then, what about all those alternative energy sources I mentioned earlier? Scotland can draw all the energy it could ever use out of the freaking dirt.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BumpyBoo  Moderator

You've been warned for this once already today, expect a PM shortly.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

Well good news for them, now, bad news for Great Britain.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@xaos said:

I voted no.

Entirely untrue.

Based on what? They won't get the pound if they go independent and many major businesses and big execs have implied they'll move if Scotland go independent. Moreover, they won't get support from NATO and the EU. A friend who studies politics has told me that Spain and Germany will veto Scotland's request to join the EU so they'll be isolated from the rest of the world.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@lvenger: Countries poorer than Scotland have thrived after independence. India for example, built itself in the long run. This idea of ''many major businesses and big execs moving out of Scotland'' has only been pushed recently: granted, the vote was nearing, the Government also touted this ''extra powers'' nonsense at questionable timing, in addition to the fear mongering that England has done to do anything in their way to keep the Union.

The political argument changes daily.

I'm in line with McAvoy's views:

"Am I going to look back and think ‘I voted because I thought I’d be a bit better off or I was going to get some oil, or did I vote because I believe in Scottish identity and Scottish independence’?" he said. "That’s way more important than the political or economic arguments. Independence or unification is here to stay forever."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/10/james-mcavoy-wont-say-which-way-hell-vote-in-scottish-referendum-for-career-preservation_n_5799994.html