Scientists May Have Finally Unlocked Why People Are Gay

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/12/11/scientists-may-have-finally-unlocked-puzzle-of-why-people-are-gay

Scientists may have finally solved the puzzle of what makes a person gay, and how it is passed from parents to their children.

A group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuals get that trait from their opposite-sex parents: A lesbian will almost always get the trait from her father, while a gay man will get the trait from his mother.

[PHOTOS: Couples Queue for Midnight Marriage Licenses]

The hereditary link of homosexuality has long been established, but scientists knew it was not a strictly genetic link, because there are many pairs of identical twins who have differing sexualities. Scientists from the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis say homosexuality seems to have an epigenetic, not a genetic link.

Long thought to have some sort of hereditary link, a group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuality is linked to epi-marks — extra layers of information that control how certain genes are expressed. These epi-marks are usually, but not always, "erased" between generations. In homosexuals, these epi-marks aren't erased — they're passed from father-to-daughter or mother-to-son, explains William Rice, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California Santa Barbara and lead author of the study.

[ENJOY: Political Cartoons About Gay Marriage]

"There is compelling evidence that epi-marks contribute to both the similarity and dissimilarity of family members, and can therefore feasibly contribute to the observed familial inheritance of homosexuality and its low concordance between [identical] twins," Rice notes.

Rice and his team created a mathematical model that explains why homosexuality is passed through epi-marks, not genetics. Evolutionarily speaking, if homosexuality was solely a genetic trait, scientists would expect the trait to eventually disappear because homosexuals wouldn't be expected to reproduce. But because these epi-marks provide an evolutionary advantage for the parents of homosexuals: They protect fathers of homosexuals from underexposure to testosterone and mothers of homosexuals from overexposure to testosterone while they are in gestation.

[VOTE: Should Gay Marriage Be Legal Nationwide?]

"These epi-marks protect fathers and mothers from excess or underexposure to testosterone — when they carry over to opposite-sex offspring, it can cause the masculinization of females or the feminization of males," Rice says, which can lead to a child becoming gay. Rice notes that these markers are "highly variable" and that only strong epi-marks will result in a homosexual offspring.

Though scientists have long suspected some sort of genetic link, Rice says studies attempting to explain why people are gay have been few and far between.

[READ: Sen. Hatch Wants to Show Mormons Are Christians]

"Most mainstream biologists have shied away from studying it because of the social stigma," he says. "It's been swept under the rug, people are still stuck on this idea that it's unnatural. Well there are many examples of homosexuality in nature, it's very common." Homosexual behavior has been observed in black swans, penguins, sheep, and other animals, he says.

Rice's model still needs to be tested on real-life parent-offspring pairs, but he says this epigenetic link makes more sense than any other explanation, and that his team has mapped out a way for other scientists to test their work.

[RELATED: Gay Marriage Supporters Unfazed by Scalia's Sodomy Comments]

"We've found a story that looks really good," he says. "There's more verification needed, but we point out how we can easily do epigenetic profiles genome-wide. We predict where the epi-marks occur, we just need other studies to look at it empirically. This can be tested and proven within six months. It's easy to test. If it's a bad idea, we can throw it away in short order."

well if you put it like that, it makes much more sense than aliens :-/

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

Slightly more in depth than "They just are."

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 King_Saturn  Online

Hmmmm... sounds interesting.

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure I'm gay because I like guys lol. Like everything needs some kind of fancy explanation XD

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

So it's actually logical to blame your parents for this particular issue.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By turoksonofstone

SCIENCE!! Neat stuff.

Really cool on one hand I feel like parents of a Gay child might find this sort of science particularly fascinating and it could potentially reinforce the Parent/Child bonds in a lot of unforseen ways.

on the other Hand Maybe I'm just paranoid and no offense intended to anyone but I

Don't like the Idea of this research/finding in a way. One would expect a "cure" or "vaccine" to be offered at the conclusion of or as a result of this type of research. People love to "cure" stuff.

Gay folks are easier to find and Identify than ever before not sure if that is good for Gay folks either. Anonymity has its privileges too.

just Something seems eugenics-cy about it all IMO..

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By DH69

LETS GO ANTIQUING!!!

i'll go away now...

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tacos_Kickass

Science is for heathens we all know the Devil makes you fabulous.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Interesting thank you very much for sharing as usual :)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

that reminds me of this quote

“He paused, twisting his goatee, considering the law in Deuteronomy that forbade clothes with mixed fibers. A problematic bit of Scripture. A matter that required thought. "Only the devil wants man to have a wide range of lightweight and comfortable styles to choose from," he murmured at last, trying out a new proverb. "Although there may be no forgiveness for polyester. On this one matter, Satan and the Lord are in agreement.”

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Quite interesting

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure I'm gay because I like guys lol. Like everything needs some kind of fancy explanation XD

I dont, even when i am demisexual i dont need to look the reason why i am who i am.

I could use my time so i look the cure for cancer.

Screw it i am going to look why people is gay, even when is a useless thing and i could use my time for something that has sense, screw it, i am going to look for useless things.

And like always they used their time and get not an actual awnser, they just got to another bizarre theory.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ah,cool :)

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

ehh, other might not feel the same way. a person who is uncomfortable or miserable with their sexuality might want to know the science behind it so that they can change it. its good that you're happy and content with yourself but not everyone else is.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By _Zombie_

Some guys are born and like guys, some ladies are born and like ladies. Dunno why it's so confusing that fckin' scientists are getting involved.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cool but, I can't buy into it. These people are misguided.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's called science for a reason. Don't knock it. Someone decided to research, so they did.

Stop crying like a bunch of emotional children.

Grow up.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's called science for a reason. Don't knock it. Someone decided to research, so they did.

Stop crying like a bunch of emotional children.

Grow up.

And this is not science if you read it, you will notice it.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I think researching "why people are gay" is really a double-edged sword, on the one-hand, it shuts up the "it's a choice" crowd, but one the other, if they identify why people are homosexuals, then some jag-offs are bound to want to "change" or worse; abort, foetuses who demonstrate these traits.

More to the point though, who cares? If someone is gay, they're gay. Nothing wrong with it, no reason to research it. Spend the money on something worthwhile.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Shall we consider the ramifications of a discovery that genetics or epigenetics is responsible for the compulsion for serial murder and pedophilia as well?

Slippery slope.

Avatar image for captainamerica119
Captainamerica119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

WHO CARES? If they're gay or lesbian it doesnt matter. Let them live in peace. Does it matter what caused them to be gay? NO!

thetonester89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think there is anything wrong with finding out why or how people are gay. I find it interesting to know.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok. That is interesting.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#27 TDK_1997  Online

I don't know why they are even researching that.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpideyPresence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpideyPresence

@_zombie_ said:

Some guys are born and like guys, some ladies are born and like ladies. Dunno why it's so confusing that fckin' scientists are getting involved.

Scientist research for a living. That's their job and science will be around until we know everything about everything. Better now than later.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#30  Edited By MadeinBangladesh
Loading Video...

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Science prevails once again

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By InnerVenom123

I think researching "why people are gay" is really a double-edged sword, on the one-hand, it shuts up the "it's a choice" crowd, but one the other, if they identify why people are homosexuals, then some jag-offs are bound to want to "change" or worse; abort, foetuses who demonstrate these traits.

It'd be hard for them to justify genocide.

But they'd try, wouldn't they?

F**ked up to think about.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just in time....

Coincidence.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainamerica119 said:

WHO CARES? If they're gay or lesbian it doesnt matter. Let them live in peace. Does it matter what caused them to be gay? NO!

No, but it's called being human.....

Seriously humans desire knowledge, what's in space, how animals work, psychology, human body, soul, religion, how humans work ect. This is no different.

DarkShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like science, but this... I don't like it at all because it sounds like it's the parents fault and giving false hope to people who think that there may be a "cure" to help their homosexual kids. So what if a boy likes a boy or a girl likes a girl, who cares! That's their business.

Kamikaze_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kamikaze_

Interesting