Science based powers or Theology based powers?

Avatar image for albertphytagoras
Albertphytagoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Albertphytagoras

This is a thread for opinions.

Questions:

Which power is more effective?

Which power is more impressive?

Which power is more multiversal?

Which one would you rather prefer?

Examples: Captain Atom have Science based powers.

Spectre have theological/religious based powers.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supernatural powers over scientific powers any day

Rubberman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hard for a dirty atheist like me to subscribe to religion-based powers. Even Thor (who is my second day fav hero) and the Aesir are basically portrayed as higher life forms rather than actual "gods". Still science. And if Dexter taught us anything, it's that it is a fine day for science!

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer science as it is how our universe functions.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chibi_cute

Theology based powers doesn't follow the rules like most science based powers do.

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By TheSpiritStalker

Theology based powers doesn't follow the rules like most science based powers do.

Eh, it depends on the writer really. Pre-crisis Superman didn't seem to follow the rules.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By marvel_boy2241

Yeah it depends on the writer. They both are fiction so its hard to tell.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@albertphytagoras: I think the theological based powers are really legit cuz in battle, they usually attack souls. People like Spectre, Ghost Rider, Spawn, Hellstorm. All are good power sets the thing is the host is usually tormented deeply. Im not down for all that eternal torment. The Science set sometimes breed a sense of loneliness (Hulk, Superman) but overall in daily living I would want science just for the personal life

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even Thor (who is my second day fav hero) and the Aesir are basically portrayed as higher life forms rather than actual "gods".

...what exactly do you think God or spirits are, if not higher/extradimensional forms of life?

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

@iaconpoint said:

Even Thor (who is my second day fav hero) and the Aesir are basically portrayed as higher life forms rather than actual "gods".

...what exactly do you think God or spirits are, if not higher/extradimensional forms of life?

Good question. I never saw Thor or Odin as Gods just aliens who were worshiped. I don't see any real reason why THor is considered a god but Gladiator and Thanos are not....except the fact Thor was worshiped at one time. And i can see God or angels being higher life forms but aren't we higher life forms to ants? Does that make us gods? and isn't God part of our dimension? Sorry for the rant

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By reactor

@pooty said:

@reactor said:

@iaconpoint said:

Good question. I never saw Thor or Odin as Gods just aliens who were worshiped. I don't see any real reason why THor is considered a god but Gladiator and Thanos are not....except the fact Thor was worshiped at one time. And i can see God or angels being higher life forms but aren't we higher life forms to ants? Does that make us gods? and isn't God part of our dimension? Sorry for the rant

Tis cool. I think what sets them apart in comic verse is that gods are extradimensional. They come from higher planes of existence, like Asgard, Fourth World, Olympia, Heaven, etc. Biblically, God resides in Heaven / spirit realm. So no, he wouldn't be a "native" of the physical universe. In fact, he's not even native to heaven, since he'd created it x-billions of years ago.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iaconpoint

@pooty said:

@reactor said:

@iaconpoint said:

What he said. Didn't think I had to spell it out. I don't care what kind of powers say, Q from Star Trek has, he's not a god. Godlike maybe, but I'd never worship or revere him.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

/Thread.

Science can jump all it wants, it isn't breaking it's ground rules.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Theology based.

Powers from Spawn, Hellboy, The Crow, and Ghost Rider immediately appeal to me unlike some other heroes, which may take me a while to get into.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

@reactor said:

@iaconpoint said:

What he said. Didn't think I had to spell it out. I don't care what kind of powers say, Q from Star Trek has, he's not a god. Godlike maybe, but I'd never worship or revere him.

Well, you didn't, really. You stated having godlike power, being a higher form of life or being extradimensional would not constitute one being a god (which I assume means you do have a standard in mind). So to you, what does? Or are you saying there is no acceptable standard for godhood? I'm not trying to badger you or anything, I'm trying to get the full picture of what you're saying.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pooty

@reactor: Tis cool. I think what sets them apart in comic verse is that gods are extradimensional. They come from higher planes of existence, like Asgard, Fourth World, Olympia, Heaven, etc. Biblically, God resides in Heaven / spirit realm. So no, he wouldn't be a "native" of the physical universe. In fact, he's not even native to heaven, since he'd created it x-billions of years ago.

Good points

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

@iaconpoint said:

@pooty said:

@reactor said:

@iaconpoint said:

Well, you didn't, really. You stated having godlike power, being a higher form of life or being extradimensional would not constitute one being a god (which I assume means you do have a standard in mind). So to you, what does? Or are you saying there is no acceptable standard for godhood? I'm not trying to badger you or anything, I'm trying to get the full picture of what you're saying.

I didn't see what he had to spell out either. Maybe i missed it also

Bushwhacker_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Theology powers would be so much cooler.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: hmm, good question. I'd say a god has to be able to create intelligent life that is capable of sustained growth and evolution. Might also need to be able to grant actual blessings like changing the course of events to fit the will of the one praying, not simply being able to make it rain with a magic hammer. Of all the comic characters I can think of right off hand, I'd say Galactus is the closest to a god because he has no equal. Not Thanos, not Odin, not Darkseid not even the Anti-Moniter. Plus he is the sole survivor of the pre-big bang universe so that makes him as godlike as anyone. Hope this helps and hope I didn't ramble too much.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22 JediXMan  Moderator

This. They're always more powerful.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Why not have both?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: hmm, good question. I'd say a god has to be able to create intelligent life that is capable of sustained growth and evolution. Might also need to be able to grant actual blessings like changing the course of events to fit the will of the one praying, not simply being able to make it rain with a magic hammer. Of all the comic characters I can think of right off hand, I'd say Galactus is the closest to a god because he has no equal. Not Thanos, not Odin, not Darkseid not even the Anti-Moniter. Plus he is the sole survivor of the pre-big bang universe so that makes him as godlike as anyone. Hope this helps and hope I didn't ramble too much.

Not bad at all