#1 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (11013 posts) - - Show Bio

Save a critically endangered species by hunting it?

Namibian government says it is preparing to auction off an opportunity to hunt an endangered black rhino in Namibia -- to benefit the Namibian government's Game Products Trust Fund.

"This fundraiser is the first of its kind for an endangered species," Ben Carter, DSC executive director, said earlier this month in a statement announcing the auction.

The auction, to be held in early January, is expected to fetch between $250,000 to $1 million, Carter told NBC 5 by phone Friday.

The black rhino is "critically endangered," according to the International Rhino Foundation. An estimated 5,000 live in the wild.

When asked about offering a chance to hunt a member of an endangered species, Carter said, "This is about saving a species, not one animal."

The permit that will be auctioned is the first of its kind ever to be issued on behalf of the government of the Republic of Namibia outside of the country, Carter said.

In its press release, the DSC said that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has promised full cooperation with a qualified buyer.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/weird/Group-Auctions-Off-Chance-to-Hunt-Endangered-Rhino-229341391.html

I am going to save Amanda Bynes, Miley Cyrus, Hannah Montana and Lindsey Lohan, time to get my sniper rifle!!!!

Save by killing, it looks legit!!!

#2 Posted by King Saturn (224286 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember hearing about this on the news... I seriously thought there was an error in the teleprompter or something.

#3 Edited by CuddleBear (1242 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember hearing about this on the news... I seriously thought there was an error in the teleprompter or something.

the daily show is the news?

#4 Edited by Lady_Liberty (8281 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. Its an example of almost pure consequentialism.