Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

"I realise now that it will take time. That the road is long and shrouded in darkness. It is a road that will not always take me where I wish to go. But I will travel down it, nonetheless." - Ratohnhaké:ton/Connor Kenway

Goodbye Ezio, and hello Connor! Assassin's Creed III takes place during the 1700s with the American Revolutionary War and switches to present day with Desmond Miles. It starts out on October 31st, 2012 with Desmond out of a coma and held hostage by his father William, Rebecca, and Shaun to help save the world from being burned by a imminent solar flare that previously wiped the First Civilization by using the Animus in the Grand Temple located in a cave in Turin, New York. Beyond the temple is a locked door in which Desmond has to discover where the key is by bleeding back to his ancestors while the Templars are a constant obstacle in their path, in both present day and past.

Thoughts on Connor

Samimista

I liked how we witnessed a Native American-English boy transform into a strong willed assassin. He had tragic hit his life which would normally be a key point for the main character to seek revenge but Connor refused to let the pain distort his views as he remained sane and grew stronger each time someone would kick him down. He dedicated his whole life to fighting for his tribe's land and freedom with the help of friends along the way.

CaioTrubat

Coming from Ezio and Altair, Ubisoft made a lot of effort to make a whole different protagonist with Connor, he is a justice-driven, clean cut Luke Skywalker type hero, instead of a lovable rogue like Ezio or a stoic badass like Altair. One could argue he is bland and uninteresting, but that is because of the rushed narrative that doesn't let him shine. I find Connor interesting because he mixes traits from previous Assassins like Altair's sense of duty and justice and Ezio's search of revenge, he is very kind, brave and noble so much you feel his pain in the Hell he is pushed through the game (specially in the final act). While he himself is fine, his story arc meets the short end of the stick, with a very slow first act and a really rushed and abrupt final act. It doesn't take until sequence 3, where we finally get to play with him and things doesn't really get going until Sequence 5. The second act is without a doubt the best part of the story, when all hell breaks loose and his character has a lasting impact in everything around him. As the last act nears, things fall apart when Connor discover other character's true intentions and when we finally reach the climax, the result may not be exactly fullfilling.

Thoughts on Desmond

Samimista

I really enjoyed Connor's story but it was Desmond who got the short end of the stick. In fact, for a character that's story was supposed to be finished in this game I don't feel as if he got the right amount of scenes he should of had. From my impression, Desmond became more darker from the previous games and is just tired of always being kidnapped for the Animus. Even pisses him off more that his father who's a bit of a jerk is working alongside him.

Honestly, I never liked Desmond until Brotherhood but I was really expecting the III to incorporate a wonderful ending for him but truth is, I didn't feel anything with how Ubisoft handled his character at the end. The Connor's story was perfect but really? Desmond deserved so much better. The ending did however confirm an Assassin's Creed IV but, I'm sure everyone didn't doubt that.

CaioTrubat

No longer just the audience surrogate from previous game, Desmond is without a doubt the hero of this game. He is no longer whining around with no reason, and his character not only has a actual impact in the world, but its future hangs on the balance for him. In addition, he has inherited Altair's knowledge and Ezio and Connor's strength and abilities, turning him into Death incarnate just like his ancestors. The action modern day sequences are amazing, one resembling a third person Mirror Edge, other set in Brazil and the most satisfying one is charging alone through the Abstergo Lab from the first game. Unfortunately his conclusion is no less satisfying than Connor's for its just as underwhelming and disappointing, and its telling when this is his final game in the franchise. The ending didn't frustrate me more than say Mass Effect 3, or exactly has the same reasons, but it had a poor execution nonetheless.

Soundtrack

Samimista

To be honest I never really pay attention to the Assassin Creed music. Maybe that's because the composer really knows how to create a regular atmosphere without making it stand out from the others.

My favorite song was however, Amazing Grace. I don't recall it being featured in the game but it was used for one of the trailers. I thought the song really suited what the game represents; freedom. However, Assassin's Creed III really showed how patience one must be to earn freedom.

CaioTrubat

Being one of my favorite parts of the entire franchise, I was hoping that Lorne Balfe would live up to Jesper Kyd's impressive record. While he doesn't upstage his predecessor, he performs a fine job with the soundtrack with the highlights being the Main Mission theme, Homestead, Connor's Life and Freedom Fighter which fit the setting nicely.

Graphics

Samimista

The graphics in the franchise are always beautiful. However, it doesn't seem Ubisoft can make their mind with Desmond's looks. I'm unsure if it's aging or Ubisoft forgets his previous designs but Desmond's nose sticks out a bit more. Other than that though, I have no complaints. I like how Connor has his father's physical features which his mother even made notice of.

CaioTrubat

The landscapes and settings are simply gorgeous. In order to make the game more alive, they introduced a season-clock system that switches between winter and summer in some hours, which will affect greatly your movement and gameplay. In addition, you are finally allowed to climb over trees in the Frontier is huge, almost the same proportion as Rome in Brotherhood and is filled with several wild animals for you to hunt and sell their pelts. While the cities have been reduced, they just as more life than in the wilds, with the returning side quests like recovering treasures and missing Almanaque pages for Benjamin Franklin, the returning notoriety system and also the Homestead where you live and perform several missions to improve it.

Gameplay

Samimista

I don't know if it was just me but I found it rather difficult to use the arrow and pistol so I just stuck to the hidden blade. It was also a pain chasing one of the Patriot messengers who was heading to the village. You had to head close up while you both are riding on horses. It took me a few tries and I actually had to check a guide to see how to speed the horse in order to get further in the game. It was only a few things I had problems with but the storyline and everything else made up for it.

CaioTrubat

Combat this time around is a lot more difficult, which is noticeable in this series after Brotherhood and Revelations, you could wipe out entire rooms of enemies just by countering. While countering is still present, you going have to use different tactics to kill your enemies a lot like the Batman: Arkham Series. Instead you have kill-chains, a sort of limit break that allows you to kill several enemies at once if you keep fighting but don't get injured. The thing most players agree its the best thing ever is probably the Naval Battles. While they are quite simple to perform, I found myself frustrated at using their full speed without being knocked by rogue winds, which restrict some of its potential. Still, its telling when a stealth game like AC makes a sailing game better than several other pirates and sea-based games.

Veredict:

Samimista

Honestly, I really did enjoy this game just as much or more than the II with its storyline and how fun the hunting was. I couldn't help but think of Pocahontas and Pirates of the Caribbean with how the game was a cinematic movie itself that shared similarities to the other two. I could definitely see myself replay this many times and someday do the side quests. It really showed that when people unite as one we can truly make a difference. It may take time but there isn't anything we can't do. Ezio will probably always be my favorite assassin but I can't help but fancy Connor. It was just the little things that took points down but, this still was and is truly an amazing gaming experience and I could see the story of this being passed down to many generations.

CaioTrubat

Though I had a lot of expectations for this game which were not met, the story' execution and the ultimate conclusion to Desmond's storyline being a massive letdown. Still I would still take this game for the massive and beautiful world to explore, improved and challenging combat, the multitude of activities to perform and the likable protagonists. AC II is still my favorite one in the series, I know it had its problems and while AC III tried its best, still can't take its place.

Samimista's RatingCaioTrubat's Rating
4,5/57,5 out of 10

Please, tell us what you think of our review and the game in the comments section. Thank you for reading :)

#1 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
I thought you guys would never do this review. Better late than never :P

Good job, guys. I agree with most of the points.
#2 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne: Lol! What can we say? We're fashionably late. =D That's how us cool kids roll.~

#3 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Samimista: You guys planning another review?
#4 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

IT LIVES!!!

Awesome review guys, really digging the format you chose and it's very well written! Alas, I must finish my own extremely overdue review :P

#5 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Samimista: You guys planning another review?

You know I'm not sure. I would gladly be up for another. It's really fun teaming up with other members.

@Deranged Midget said:

IT LIVES!!!

Awesome review guys, really digging the format you chose and it's very well written! Alas, I must finish my own extremely overdue review :P

It lives with CPR! =D

Caio did a wonderful job on the format. =D It's like magic how he added the icons in.~ Bet your review will be a good read. =D

#6 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

Brilliant review guys! A little late but who cares!

#7 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista: Well thank you, but the focus is on you! Everyone seems to be teaming up for reviews lately and honestly, it's definitely a fun read! I must say, I am looking forward to more reviews from you guys!

#8 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

I also brought a friend...

:P

#9 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19941 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

IT LIVES!!!

You mean my format?

Haha just kidding great job to you both.

#10 Edited by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@StMichalofWilson: Thank you buddy! You know, if we get any of the same games in 2013 we could also team up for a review if you'd like.

@Deranged Midget: I like how communities like ours come together to do projects. It's really fun and wonderful to do. Helps too with communication skills.

@StMichalofWilson said:

I also brought a friend...

:P

Oh my gosh! It's Connor! He came to see the review! =D

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@Deranged Midget said:

IT LIVES!!!

You mean my format?

Haha just kidding great job to you both.

Oh snap! How'd he knew? Must hide the blueprints away.

Why thank you fellow Spartan! =D

#11 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: A trend you have started my friend, be proud of your accomplishment!

#12 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: A trend you have started my friend, be proud of your accomplishment!

YNCG unlocked an achievement!

#13 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19941 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

I do not see my glorified name on this review anywhere! I shall sue!

@Samimista: You're welcome, although I can sue for copyright infringement.

#14 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: But wait! I got a sea monkey wearing a Spartan helmet for you! Someday it'll evolve into a shiny Gyarados! Now you can't pass up on that. =D

#15 Posted by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice work, this looks great. You guys did a good job!

(and about time too :P)

^_^

#16 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo: Lol! Bumpy! =D xD Thank you.~ Maybe we could review an FF game or something together. =D

#17 Posted by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

@BumpyBoo: Lol! Bumpy! =D xD Thank you.~ Maybe we could review an FF game or something together. =D

That is such a cool idea! I'm in :)

#18 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

@Samimista said:

Hooray! We can talk about this in a message. Must not let the secret get out...Unlike Victoria who advertises her secrets on TV. D= xD

#19 Posted by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

@BumpyBoo said:

@Samimista said:

Hooray! We can talk about this in a message. Must not let the secret get out...Unlike Victoria who advertises her secrets on TV. D= xD

Hahaha! XD Good point. **retreats to super secret PM headquarters**

#20 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne, @StMichalofWilson, @BumpyBoo, @Deranged Midget: Thanks for the comments, guys. I apologize for the lateness because I am the reason why. I was so busy with college when the game was out I barely had enough time to finish it before my exams came. Also apologize to for using his review template, I was in a hurry to finish it I couldn't make up our style. Sorry, friend :P

#21 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19941 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat: Don't apologize xD

I was only kidding. Feel free to use it.

#22 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys, I love this -- great way to review with two well known gamers on the site! I'll get back to you about my thoughts after I get through II (not playing the first, -- don't worry ;p)

#23 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Very good! =D The first will bore you easily but the second is a great way to get into the series. ^___^ Plus Ezio's so awesome and cute. xD

#24 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

Your blogs are awesome, do you have a Xbox?

#25 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (20792 posts) - - Show Bio

Your blogs are awesome, do you have a Xbox?

Hi there. I see you found my old account's review with Samimista. Yes, I have an Xbox, but I recently got a PS3. I played AC III in both consoles and now looking back, my opinion considerably changed for the game specially after playing AC IV.

#26 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: I hope you enjoyed AC 4 its my new favorite, I hope you do a review for it. How did your opinion change btw? I liked AC 3 but I hated Connor lol.

Also what's your xbox and psn gamertag? I only have vita for PSN tho.

#27 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (20792 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller: Hehehe, you know I was ready to hate AC IV from get to go, but turns out I enjoyed it way more than I expected, its in fact, my second favorite game after AC II. I will review it and go in detail about it, like I always do with my AC reviews (which btw, have you checked them out).

I replayed AC III after playing AC IV and I was reminded of somethings that didn't work - the story was very poorly paced. While I didn't mind Haytham's prologue, its a very slow build up and even by the time Connor wears his robes, its only by Sequence 6 already half-way through the game.

Sequences episodes are also very rushed, each barely has 4 memories and they tend to end after three or two memories. I couldn't help but think this game was 10 hours shorter than Brotherhood. The ending for both Connor and Desmond pissed me off so much, specially for the latter since I expected closure after five games, only to end in a sour note already setting up a sequel i nthe final chapter.

Things that I came to see differently well... I didn't hate Connor at all, I did see something compelling about him. On the other hand I found nearly everyone else bland and forgettable. In AC II, we had memorable characters like the cynical Machiavelli that provided a foil to Ezio, the boisterous Bartholomeo Alviano, hell Caterina Sforza was a lot of fun to watch as well. I couldn't point out a supporting character that stood out in my mind in AC III the same way in Ezio's saga. All Homesteaders are rather uninteresting and have no impact at in the story. AC IV fix this by introducing several likable supporting caracters like Blackbeard, Adewale, Ah Tabai, James Kidd/Mary Read, Anne Bonny and so forth.

Another thing I came to dislike is how you manage your Homestead. Monterigionni, Roma and Constantinople were easier to renovate, since you just needed to choose a particular landmark and drop some money in it, so that in time, the money would be made back. In AC III, you have to organize convoys, sell materials, create resources and it was so difficult for me to manage, they f**d up royally right there.

I think everyone agrees that while AC III was not a bad game, it was a huge letdown and a disappointing way to end the series.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot. I don't have a Xbox gamertag, but my PSN is Robb_Stark411 ;)

#28 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#29 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Great can't wait to read it.

Ya I read your other one I read your AC 2 one hoping that you gave it a good score, and you did lol so thumbs up (y).

Also ya I do agree it was a let down. It was the first AC game I played loved it. Then I got AC 2 then Brotherhood and went down to liking it a lot lol the others (besides Revelations) were so much better and I used to hate Desmond in AC 3 but after the others he's a pretty cool guy.

I do agree the sequences dragged a lot and were boring lol and idk if it was just me but the sequences in AC4 are kinda short. There's a lot but its like 3 memories a piece lol.

Ya I get why people love Connor he's interesting but he's way too brash for me. He always yelled at Achilles for no reason. My favorite assassin is Edward even though he was only technically an assassin for like 2 yrs lol. His personality and goals were a nice break from the "he's controlling people threw money or muscle kill him he's a templar" lol.

Also if if you get a request from ULTRAstarLORD that's me

#30 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (20792 posts) - - Show Bio