Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Dragonborn_CT
No Caption Provided

Hey guys. How ya doing? Some months ago we reviewed Frozen together and now we team up again to review another Disney movie that is rocking in the box office at the moment, Maleficent.

Plot

Samimista

No Caption Provided

Honestly, I was very skeptical to see another live action Disney movie since I was disappointed in Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland. Which is very ironic since I love Burton films and would watch the animated Alice In Wonderland many times as a kid. Maleficent however, was magnificent.

The movie is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty where we see Maleficent fall in love with Aurora's father, Stefan, at a very young age. On Maleficent's sixteenth Birthday, Stefan gives her a true love's kiss. Unfortunately, the love was not true since Stefan is the cause of Maleficent's downfall. We see her on a journey to recover from an emotional betrayal by the only person she's ever loved.

I actually found the kiss between Stefan and Maleficent quite interesting since it does explain why Maleficent would curse Aurora to fall into a sleep-like death by pricking her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel on her sixteenth Birthday. It could be seen as a way for revenge with how Stefan broke Maleficent's heart and now Maleficent is slowly taking away what's precious to him -- his very own daughter.

Dragonborn_CT

No Caption Provided

Despite being one of the most iconic Disney villains ever, Maleficent was never particularly one of my favorites because there was very little to her motivation for the things she did "Yeah lets just curse this little baby for absolutely zero reason just because I am a bitch like that", sure she does transform into a dragon and it was awesome, but she was about as flat as a paper sheet. She doesn't want power or control or wealth, she is just evil for evil sake. True to that, I was really doubtful how they were going to make an interesting perspective flip in Maleficent giving her point of view of the story. However, the writers realized that since she was an difficult thing to do since Maleficent was such one-dimensional character that they made things more differently.

Maleficent not so much tells an different POV than they reinvents Sleeping Beauty as a story, outright telling that everything we knew was an lie and this movie is the true events. Maleficent was actually the heroine of a much bigger story and all the heroic characters from the fairy tale were either evil, ineffectual or incompetent. To put it perspective, its actually Aurora's father the big bad of the movie, responsible for Maleficent's suffering and the conflict within the plot. What specifically makes the movie stands out is the dark and mature "fall from grace" - her betrayal and mutilation by the man she trusted and opened her heart to can be easily seen as a rape metaphor which many other viewers had caught on that, its made all more shocking that this is a Disney movie which the last time we'seen such dark subject was the Hunchback of Notredame.

Maleficent is very much like Frozen in many aspects, including its primary theme of true love, the difference is that the supernatural female lead is the protagonist instead of the princess and carries a much more dark and mature implications. We could see that as symbol of female empowerment, which is a great thing since it means Disney is being progressive in dealing its heroines. But in the other hand, it felt like Frozen all over again which something you need to watch out for if you know what I am saying.

Characters

Samimista

No Caption Provided

Honestly, I was always so mortified of Maleficent as a kid. Especially with her cruel demeanor and cackling. I did however, love Angelina Jolie's portrayal of Maleficent. Especially with the voice and high cheekbones.

I didn't like Stefan one bit since even in his very first scene, he was portrayed as a boy with the wrong intentions. In my opinion, Stefan was more sinister than Hans from Frozen since he betrayed Maleficent in exchange for royalty.

Elle Fanning was perfect casting as Aurora in my opinion. I've only seen movies from Dakota Fanning beforehand but, Elle is a natural beauty with the childlike innocence. If I'm being honest, I never liked Snow White and Cinderella but always loved Aurora with how lovely she is. It was really adorable seeing Aurora grow up in this movie.

Besides Stefan, I really disliked how Knotgrass, Thistlewite and Fittle were portrayed. Without spoiling anything, I will say that I felt the three fairy godmothers were very incompetent with watching Aurora. She wanders deep in the forest where she could easily get hurt yet, the fairy godmothers are too busy arguing with each other to even notice where Aurora went.

I was also very surprised to see Maleficent's raven Diaval who can even transform into a human. He's portrayed by Sam Riley who does a fine job at making Diaval very charming. He even develops a friendship with Aurora over the years.

Dragonborn_CT

No Caption Provided

Angeline Jolie plays Maleficent flawlessly, wether if she is an sympathetic or creepy . I will say I enjoyed her slowly regaining her humanity, but my favorite moments were when she was all sinister and stuff like that, like the signature scene which she curses baby Aurora "What an awkward situation indeed". I imagine the whole point of her arc was to atone for her actions, but I would have liked if she went more forward with her thirst for revenge as well, but I would have imagined that would have being something completely at odds with the other half of the story. Aurora is alright, she is kinda like every princess archetype rolled into one (she is beautiful, virtuous, innocent)and seemed too perfect as times, but I didn't mind that since its Maleficent is the protagonist and a much more compelling character.

No Caption Provided

Sharlto Copley s an amazing actor for being able to play such despicable character as King Stefan, just like in last years movie Elysium which he played the psychotic operative Kruger, he plays an specific type of villain that changes notes throughout the picture. He goes from treacherous sleazebag to Aerys Targaryen, slowly going insane over the story's course to the point his obsession of Maleficent overrides the wellbeing of his wife and daughter. He is a f*ckton times worse than Hans from Frozen.

Unfortunately what drags the movie down are all the third-part characters, such as the three fairygodmothers and the prince in particular. The formers are so hilariously incompetent in raising Aurora that its pretty much Maleficent's job of keeping the kid safe and sound (so that she can die later when she is 16) and their only purpose is probably comic relief, while the latter's only reason for exist in this movie was to show that romantic love =/= true love. The problem is that we simply can't get rid of them, cause they are all necessary to the plot one way or another. Thankfully they aren't in the movie that much and at least its balanced by the presence of Diaval, Maleficent's pet raven who can turn into an human boy.

Visual Effects

Samimista

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Honestly, I even forgot visual effects were even used for the film since everything looks so realistic nowadays. I found it very breathtaking when we see Aurora playing with the mythical creatures at night. It was very beautiful with the lighting.

Dragonborn_CT

No Caption Provided

The visual effects are of the best I've seen in a fantasy movie a long while. The art direction in particular tingles one of my favorites with the fey-like creatures and monsters having this Pan's Labyrinth's appeal to them. The battle sequences and Maleficent's power displays were amazing to watch, even if somewhat brief (but hey, we can't be like LotR all the time, can we?)

Soundtrack

Samimista

Lana Del Ray's Once Upon A Dream was the highlight of the movie in my opinion. It's like she practically reinvented the song with her chilling voice. Supposedly, it was even Angelina Jolie who handpicked Lana for Maleficent's soundtrack.

Dragonborn_CT

All of the soundtrack was pretty unremarkable for me. Even Lana Del Ray's cover of Once Upon a Dream feels cheesy and out of place, especially since the rest of the film isn't a musical. Not helping matters is how divorced the song sounds from its original context

Final Rating

Samimista

9/10 - Maleficent is a very entertaining movie however, my only complaint is how the ending is very similar to Frozen when it comes to true love. It's not necessarily a bad thing but, I'm hoping Disney won't overuse the 'twist' in future movies.

Dragonborn_CT

8/10 - It was a very entertaining movie, with an awesome protagonist, a great story,. Probably not the best movie of the year or one you will ever seen, but it does well enough in what sets to do. Those expecting a more villanous Maleficent will be disappointed, but if you wanted a Frozen albeit more darker, there you have it.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Aw! The format looks very beautiful, Caio! Good choice with the GIF placements. =D

Am glad you suggested to review this. Has been way too long indeed!

Like always, it's been a pleasure working with you. ;)

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By BumpyBoo

What's this? My favourite CV duo doing a fantabulous review?? *checks calendar* And it isn't even my birthday, WTF you guys, what a treat ^_^

Like you, I am very skeptical of this film, or was: the more reviews I see for it, the more it seems like an absolute must-watch :) Very nice job, guys, am dying to see this now :D

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw! The format looks very beautiful, Caio! Good choice with the GIF placements. =D

Am glad you suggested to review this. Has been way too long indeed!

Like always, it's been a pleasure working with you. ;)

Same thing over here Sam ^__^ Double reviews are always awesome :D

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear if you review Dracula Untold without me I will kill you :P

Awesome review.

LOOOOOOOOOL

I'd really like that in all honesty :D Thanks brah

@bumpyboo said:

What's this? My favourite CV duo doing a fantabulous review?? *checks calendar* And it isn't even my birthday, WTF you guys, what a treat ^_^

Like you, I am very skeptical of this film, or was: the more reviews I see for it, the more it seems like an absolute must-watch :) Very nice job, guys, am dying to see this now :D

Oooh my bad, I didn't see this xP

Thank you, Bumps. We were hoping to make a surprise xD I bet we managed that successfully.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Hehe no worries mate :) And yes you did, with total success ^_^

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: <3 Thanks, Skully! Speaking of reviews, have you done any comic ones recently? =O

@bumpyboo: Hehehe! Love you sis. <3 If I could, I'd surprise you everyday. ;D

And you really need to watch! Honestly, I'd love Angelina Jolie as Maleficent again. She suits the role very well.

Thanks very much for your kind words. Truly means a lot. ^___^

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BumpyBoo

@samimista: Aw you are welcome, love you too! :D You guys should do more reviews O_O

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Hehe...Hopefully more reviews will come in the future. ^___^ Was really fun to write about! =D

@theacidskull: You did? =O Eep! 8D I will check it out. Have not been getting notified about reviews anymore. 0.o Perhaps the llamas have hacked my account! DX

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista: Hopefully? HOPEFULLY? :O I demand it!!! XD

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Interesting review.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

...tl;dr.

I will give it a look later on though.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Really good review guys, very thorough. I saw this a couple weeks back with my girlfriend. Angelina Jolie absolutely killed it as Maleficent. Dark, beautiful and powerful. I especially loved all her different looks. Really great costume design. I first saw Elle Fanning in Super 8 and I was just as impressed with her performance here. I wanted to spend more time with the fairy folk, but I enjoyed the movie all the same.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These Sami/DBCT reviews make me realize why these two are the Power Duo of CV.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: Thanks, man ^__^ I had forgotten that she was on Super 8 too lol But yeah this was a great movie indeed.

Sure we are. Nobody can compete with the Power of the Dragon and the Raccon combined.

Gojira2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just saw this movie the other night. My second favorite movie I seen this year. My first being Godzilla of course lol.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope you guys work together again. Great Review.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By OverLordArhas
No Caption Provided

Sephiroth is cooler even with one Black Wing. ;p

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Deathstroker

@dragonborn_ct: "Sure we are. Nobody can compete with the Power of the Dragon and the Raccon combined." Pfffft.... @jaken7: what are your thoughts on such blasphemous remarks?

Sakura_Amane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice review! I have to check this movie out. ^_^

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kewl!

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dragonborn_CT
Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: It's awesome. The point of a good review isn't necessarily getting people to agree with your opinion on the movie, but to give them a fair viewpoint on what to suspect going into it. You and Sam do that very well.

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@OverLordArhas said:

@dragonborn_ct:

Sorry dude. Hehe,

Nice review BTW.

Nah I am messing with ya .-.

Thanks, son

Those........Black Wings........activated the Final Fantasy 7 fanboy inside of me. Cant resist the urge. ;p

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@dragonborn_ct: It's awesome. The point of a good review isn't necessarily getting people to agree with your opinion on the movie, but to give them a fair viewpoint on what to suspect going into it. You and Sam do that very well.

Indeed, double reviews offer a second opinion within their content and balancing each other's viewpoint. In all fairness, me and Sami agreed pretty much on everything, except the soundtrack :P

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Very nice review between the two of you, your diverging viewpoints offered a nice contrast between perspectives in this joint critique of Maleficent. But I'm surprised you were both so generous of this film. I've heard a lot of negativity and mediocrity about this film and though I've already spoiled myself on what happens, I can't blame them. They seem to have demystified Maleficent by trying to mimic the Wicked train of making villains sympathetic, simultaneously stripping Maleficent of her evilness, her malevolence (yes that was done on purpose) and her presence as the antagonist of the first film. There are so many great moments of villainy from the original Disney film that trying to make one of Disney's greatest villains a sympathetic anti hero simply does not work.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Very nice review between the two of you, your diverging viewpoints offered a nice contrast between perspectives in this joint critique of Maleficent. But I'm surprised you were both so generous of this film. I've heard a lot of negativity and mediocrity about this film and though I've already spoiled myself on what happens, I can't blame them. They seem to have demystified Maleficent by trying to mimic the Wicked train of making villains sympathetic, simultaneously stripping Maleficent of her evilness, her malevolence (yes that was done on purpose) and her presence as the antagonist of the first film. There are so many great moments of villainy from the original Disney film that trying to make one of Disney's greatest villains a sympathetic anti hero simply does not work.

Thanks, man. I didn't mind it as much since I was not too familiar with Wicked play until Frozen came along and even then I didn't pay much attention to it .But I can see your point of view, I can imagine that Frozen also had great influence into the narrative, And like I said, its best not bother very much if you'd like to see an more villanious perspective of Maleficent :\

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: With the Ice Queen, there's room to make her more of a sympathetic character like they did with Elsa in Frozen. With Maleficent, that room diminishes rapidly as any change from the source material usually has detrimental consequences.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Thank you, Louis! To be honest, I found this film to be very fun! I can understand the frustration though since it seems redeeming villains has been a thing for awhile. =/ Sometimes villains are better off as villains rather than antiheroes?

I still hope we see Maleficent as a ruthless villainess in Kingdom Hearts but, this was a very interesting retelling!

@ostyo: Hehe! Tis was a surprise! =D Is Ostyo gonna see Maleficent? I think you'd like Aurora! =3

@stardustcrusader: Aw thank you, dear! ^__^ We will for sure. =D Did you like the movie?

@OverLordArhas: Bells, frogs, big cherries, Peter Pan, magic cheese, SEPHIROTH!

Hehe Maleficent vs Sephiroth battle perhaps? =O

@gojira2014: Aw man, how was Godzilla? I never actually seen a Godzilla movie before. 0.0 Were the action scenes killing it (in a good way)?

@sakura_amane: Ooh! Let me know when you do see it. =O Would love to hear your thoughts! =)

@WarBlade539: @dccomicsrule2011: @shadowswordmaster: Thanks duders!

Really good review guys, very thorough. I saw this a couple weeks back with my girlfriend. Angelina Jolie absolutely killed it as Maleficent. Dark, beautiful and powerful. I especially loved all her different looks. Really great costume design. I first saw Elle Fanning in Super 8 and I was just as impressed with her performance here. I wanted to spend more time with the fairy folk, but I enjoyed the movie all the same.

Hey dude! How have you been? Aw. ^__^ So glad you and your girlfriend liked it. Did the son go as well? Hehe. Angelina Jolie was perfection! =D

You know, I never seen Elle Fanning up until Maleficent. I knew Dakota Fanning from Dreamer? Really love that movie.

Many thanks for the comment by the way! I loved seeing the fairies fly around at night? Looked beautiful. 0.0

Hehehe. We may be the Power Duo but, you can take anybody down, little bro! ^____^ You can kill anybody with your kindness. <3

Are you gonna see Maleficent? =O

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't realize this movie was out.

Gojira2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista: Godzilla was a excellent flick. Its tricky though as it is alot like the original Godzilla movie more about plot than action, but it has very awesome action in the end.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista: Yeah I'm really hoping she plays a big role in Kingdom Hearts 3! Though God knows that story is complicated enough already :P Still thanks for understanding my point about what this film does to Maleficent as a villain and antagonist, much appreciated Sami! :)

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all, any future children I have will be referred to as beastie or little beastie.

Second, I don't see how it's like Frozen.

Third, the godmothers were portrayed just as they were in the original disney film and I thought it fit well with the plot to keep them that way. Though I do have to say I feel that their presence and gifts for Aurora isn't really addressed or explained.

Fourth, you don't give this movie enough credit. 10/10!!! xD

Nice review though ^.^

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great review. Will probably watch it with my sister.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By longbowhunter

@samimista: I've been good. Couldn't get my son to go with me to the movie. Summer break all he does is sleep. If you haven't seen it, watch Super 8. Elle Fanning was really good in that movie.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Samimista

@longbowhunter: Ha ha! xD I can't be speaking since all I've been doing is sleeping too LOL. Maybe he's hibernating to get prepared for when school starts again. xD

Ah, I will give that movie a watch! Didn't know J.J. Abrams was involved with it. =O

@knightsofdarkness2: Let me know what you two think about the movie! ^__^

@raiiyn: Heheh. Beasties are adorb! =D

And thanks for compliment, Raiiyn! Do agree on the fairy godmothers. Even in the original they were always bickering. Did like the cake reference at least. Was a good nod. =)

@lvenger: Hah, Kingdom Hearts has become so convoluted. 0.0 Love the series but man, I really hope III can explain everything. XD And your welcome! To be honest, I do see a lot of similarities between this and Frozen. Especially with the whole redemption and sisterly-like love?

@gojira2014: Hehe. Have heard Bryan Cranston is in it. Good casting! Shame DC didn't use him as Lex Luthor.

Am hoping to watch Godzilla soon. ^___^

I didn't realize this movie was out.

Ah, you gotta see it if you can, duder! 0.0 Seriously, really a fun movie. I bet even Snakey would shed manly tears while watching this. =D

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista: Not to mention with The Lion King. Those similarities are just plain as day. No wonder Frozen is so well liked, Disney are exploiting a tried and tested formula :P

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

I saw the movie and liked it well enough (although I honestly thought they made her a bit too heroic).

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really had no interest in seeing this movie for a number of reasons, but you two's review has made me want to see it. Great review.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#49  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Oh, and good review : p