#1 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16861 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I have yet to watch the series since it hasn't premiered,but I was looking on Bloody Disgusting and found this article.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3231068/tv-salt-lake-city-hates-hannibal/

Apparently its because they deem the show "too violent" and have replaced the time slot with a news program,you can read more on the link above.

I actually cant wait to watch it now sounds good.

It is stupid when they do this,if people don't like something they don't have to watch it,I mean there is tons of crap I see on the telly daily all the time but I don't sit there thinking "oooh its time to try and ban this" I turn the channel over and watch something else.

Its hardly surprising though horror has always had it rough.

#2 Posted by Saren (24320 posts) - - Show Bio

It's no more violent than Dexter.

Moderator
#3 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16861 posts) - - Show Bio

It's no more violent than Dexter.

Haven't seen Dexter :P

#4 Posted by judasnixon (5446 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha............

#5 Edited by AweSam (7068 posts) - - Show Bio

It's no more violent than Dexter.

Was that supposed to make it seem less violent?

#6 Edited by Veshark (8521 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen it. It does get pretty gory at some points, my mom was quite uncomfortable watching it. It's a pretty interesting show though.

#7 Posted by The Stegman (20733 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, I've only watched one episode, but for it to be deemed ''too violent'' when shows like The Walking Dead, Dexter, True Blood and Breaking Bad exists, it must really be pushing the envelope.

#8 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

Hannibal without Hannibal, they should ban this show for that reason.

#9 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16861 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

I've seen it. It does get pretty gory at some points, my mom was quite uncomfortable watching it. It's a pretty interesting show though.

Still banning it is petty and ultimately pointless

#10 Edited by TheCheeseStabber (7220 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Show.

But violence is pretty low in it more disturbing content, Mushrooms growing out of live humans etc

#11 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't watch the show.

Things like this make me wonder what happened to free speech, or is this a state's right issue.

I will go with state's right. It is the unofficial Mormon state.

#12 Posted by russellmania77 (13594 posts) - - Show Bio

because its intolerant against cannibals?

#13 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (4669 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn Mormons!!

#14 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

"KSL TV, which has ties to the Mormon church, previously declined to air NBC’s “The Playboy Club” and “New Normal.” Station also does not air “Saturday Night Live.” Programming decisions, according to the station, stem from these shows not being “in accordance” with KSL’s “mission” and brand messaging, says the site."

Saturday Night Live? The New Normal? The Playboy Club? Seriously?

The producers of the Hannibal series should be proud to be in the company of the above in its banning. Decisions like this have resulted in lowered viewership for the station and in the end, money talks. It's just a matter of time before they reverse this stance of conforming to Mormon ideals.

#15 Posted by Dabee (2359 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn Mormons!!

Come on, you can not like that they're cancelling the show in Salt Lake City, but bashing the Mormons just because there is a high concentration of LDS in the city doesn't make any sense. I'm not a member, but that shouldn't even come into play with this thread.

#16 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (16972 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't seen Dexter :P

Anyway on topic, that is sad. I haven't seen Hannibal yet, only bits of it, but I think its alright. Its a stupid decision to censor it. Why they don't ban Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon while they are at it?

#17 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Boring show in my book, ban worthy,not up to me hehe, I say no, Listen to like CSI dialogue or just the dialogue on like ID channel. You can always pirate it :D jk

#18 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (27351 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, I've only watched one episode, but for it to be deemed ''too violent'' when shows like The Walking Dead, Dexter, True Blood and Breaking Bad exists, it must really be pushing the envelope.

It's really not any worse than Breaking Bad or Dex

#19 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (4669 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Posted by Dabee (513 posts) - 7 minutes, 3 seconds ago - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon said:

Damn Mormons!!

Come on, you can not like that they're cancelling the show in Salt Lake City, but bashing the Mormons just because there is a high concentration of LDS in the city doesn't make any sense. I'm not a member, but that shouldn't even come into play with this thread.

It was a joke don't be so PC. But since the TV station is affiliated with the LDS I can blame them

#20 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16861 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

"KSL TV, which has ties to the Mormon church, previously declined to air NBC’s “The Playboy Club” and “New Normal.” Station also does not air “Saturday Night Live.” Programming decisions, according to the station, stem from these shows not being “in accordance” with KSL’s “mission” and brand messaging, says the site."

Saturday Night Live? The New Normal? The Playboy Club? Seriously?

The producers of the Hannibal series should be proud to be in the company of the above in its banning. Decisions like this have resulted in lowered viewership for the station and in the end, money talks. It's just a matter of time before they reverse this stance of conforming to Mormon ideals.

Just another reason why the move is stupid they are just digging a bigger hole for themselves.

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Haven't seen Dexter :P

Anyway on topic, that is sad. I haven't seen Hannibal yet, only bits of it, but I think its alright. Its a stupid decision to censor it. Why they don't ban Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon while they are at it?

heh :) It honestly never sparked my interest enough to watch it.

It is sad,censorship in general does not work certainly for films/tv shows/etc with violence in them.There is no evidence that fictional violence makes actual people violent,so that has no standing.And if people don't like it they can just choose not to watch it.

#21 Edited by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope people understand that certain shows can be banned from public channels if it is deemed too violent, hence why certain movies are edited when presented on television. Shows like the Walking Dead, True Blood, Dexter, and Breaking Bad are all shows aired on cable tv, not public television. The difference being that you can opt not to have these channels, while on the other hand everyone has access to their local tv channels, like NBC, ABC, FOX, etc. Cable television channels have more leeway than regular network channels because they have a presumed tv audience (like how Spike TV caters to men), and such can validate certain shows.

#22 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16861 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope people understand that certain shows can be banned from public channels if it is deemed too violent, hence why certain movies are edited when presented on television. Shows like the Walking Dead, True Blood, Dexter, and Breaking Bad are all shows aired on cable tv, not public television. The difference being that you can opt not to have these channels, while on the other hand everyone has access to their local tv channels, like NBC, ABC, FOX, etc. Cable television channels have more leeway than regular network channels because they have a presumed tv audience (like how Spike TV caters to men), and such can validate certain shows.

Well I really don't think that is a very good reason at all.I really do disagree with edits of movies that are shown on TV,Cable or no cable it makes no difference people can choose to simply not watch the program.

And Walking Dead really is pretty standard in terms of violence and gore,its pretty good and fits the context of the show but isn't needlessly over the top.

I disagree with banning due to violence,partly because it really serves no purpose.

#23 Edited by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: You have to understand that public television and cable television follow different rules. The Walking Dead is aired on AMC not NBC, so they can are allowed more leeway. It is the same reason why Playboy channels are allowed to showcase pornography because it is the viewers chose to have those channels and such view their material. Public channels are open to everyone, including children, whom may not have permission from their parents to watch that particular programming.

#24 Posted by czechoslovakia (85 posts) - - Show Bio

WATCH THIS SHOW IT'S INCREDIBLY GOOD

#25 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16861 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: You have to understand that public television and cable television follow different rules. The Walking Dead is aired on AMC not NBC, so they can are allowed more leeway. It is the same reason why Playboy channels are allowed to showcase pornography because it is the viewers chose to have those channels and such view their material. Public channels are open to everyone, including children, whom may not have permission from their parents to watch that particular programming.

As I said I find that whole idea both flawed and ultimately pointless.I do understand what you said and I find it silly.Censorship really does not work,certainly not in that sense.

I mean there are plenty of violent and taboo programs shown on the TV that don't air on cable and I am not complaining about that,that is good. There are plenty of shows I do not like that do not air on cable channels.And that is what it basically has come down with this example here,people don't like it so they try and ban it.Obviously that is due to people over the top reactions to fictional violence.

I know over here they actually did air the first season of Walking Dead on a free view channel.Now they show it on FOX but that is probably more to do with finance and money than anything to do with the context of the show.

#26 Edited by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@mrdecepticonleader: You have to understand that public television and cable television follow different rules. The Walking Dead is aired on AMC not NBC, so they can are allowed more leeway. It is the same reason why Playboy channels are allowed to showcase pornography because it is the viewers chose to have those channels and such view their material. Public channels are open to everyone, including children, whom may not have permission from their parents to watch that particular programming.

As I said I find that whole idea both flawed and ultimately pointless.I do understand what you said and I find it silly.Censorship really does not work,certainly not in that sense.

I mean there are plenty of violent and taboo programs shown on the TV that don't air on cable and I am not complaining about that,that is good. There are plenty of shows I do not like that do not air on cable channels.And that is what it basically has come down with this example here,people don't like it so they try and ban it.Obviously that is due to people over the top reactions to fictional violence.

I know over here they actually did air the first season of Walking Dead on a free view channel.Now they show it on FOX but that is probably more to do with finance and money than anything to do with the context of the show.

I'm pretty sure the Walking Dead that shows on public television is heavily edited, since shows like Dexter are heavily edited when it shown on public television. I mean shows like Law and Order even have a viewer's discretion message in the beginning, despite it having zero graphic violence. I understand what you're trying to say, it is pretty pointless given that anyone could go the internet and view it anyways, but people are entitled to believe what they want. If a network didn't follow their viewers' opinions then they would be shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak. I haven't seen the Hannibal series so I can't comment, personally, on how violent it is, but Salt Lake City is located in a heavily conservative area, being in the Midwest, so it was bound to happen.

#27 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16861 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@mrdecepticonleader: You have to understand that public television and cable television follow different rules. The Walking Dead is aired on AMC not NBC, so they can are allowed more leeway. It is the same reason why Playboy channels are allowed to showcase pornography because it is the viewers chose to have those channels and such view their material. Public channels are open to everyone, including children, whom may not have permission from their parents to watch that particular programming.

As I said I find that whole idea both flawed and ultimately pointless.I do understand what you said and I find it silly.Censorship really does not work,certainly not in that sense.

I mean there are plenty of violent and taboo programs shown on the TV that don't air on cable and I am not complaining about that,that is good. There are plenty of shows I do not like that do not air on cable channels.And that is what it basically has come down with this example here,people don't like it so they try and ban it.Obviously that is due to people over the top reactions to fictional violence.

I know over here they actually did air the first season of Walking Dead on a free view channel.Now they show it on FOX but that is probably more to do with finance and money than anything to do with the context of the show.

I'm pretty sure the Walking Dead that shows on public television is heavily edited, since shows like Dexter are heavily edited when it shown on public television. I mean shows like Law and Order even have a viewer's discretion message in the beginning, despite it having zero graphic violence. I understand what you're trying to say, it is pretty pointless given that anyone could go the internet and view it anyways, but people are entitled to believe what they want. If a network didn't follow their viewers' opinions then they would be shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak. I haven't seen the Hannibal series so I can't comment, personally, on how violent it is, but Salt Lake City is located in a heavily conservative area, being in the Midwest, so it was bound to happen.

No I highly doubt that,as I said the violence and gore in it is pretty good and serves the show well.I know even when it did start showing on cable they have a discretion message at the start saying it contains gore and horror.

Well I think they shot themselves in the foot by taking off the channel since I am sure people would have wanted to watch.And those people will still be able its just the channel that is the one actually looses out in the end.

Yeah as I said in the OP it was hardly surprising.Horror films have always had a hard time,but in a way the controversy has really strengthened its impact.

#28 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (13875 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason why they did not ban Dexter, True Blood, TWD, and Breaking Bad is because HBO and Showtime are channels which you have to pay for (Except AMC, it comes with the basic cable deal) NBC is a public channel . That said, the show is pretty good, I only saw the first episode and I want to watch the second one but I can't, I have too much to do, and I already have to catch up with TWD.

#29 Posted by Nefarious (17622 posts) - - Show Bio

Hannibal is not Hannibal if it is not Anthony Hopkins playing the role.