• 68 results
#1 Posted by Jbhdbc (145 posts) - - Show Bio

which person had the saddest back story. they could be from any universe and doesn't have to be a comic character. mine are: Batman & Naruto. who are yours.

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio

X-23 always tops this list for me.

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (57976 posts) - - Show Bio

BB

#4 Posted by Qpzmg (976 posts) - - Show Bio

Nagato also had a sad back story, but my number 1 is Batman.

#5 Posted by Magethor (1054 posts) - - Show Bio

Loki.

He was adopted.... by his family's murderer.....

Kept as a pet to be disguised and treated as a son..... Only to praise another son who wasn't really his own, yet from another god....

A Goddess...

Loki practically lived a lie all his life...

Became a woman.

#6 Posted by GodOfMischief (641 posts) - - Show Bio

@Magethor: Lmao I love the ending to your comment, but he was abandoned by his own biological family. But yes I agree his life is quite tragic, I also think that Deadpool's story is quite sad.

#7 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker.

#8 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto. I felt bad for him, notably in First Class.

#9 Posted by Stompa (1261 posts) - - Show Bio

O-Ren Ishii from Kill Bill. The animated part when her parents were killed with her in the same room was brutal.

#10 Posted by InnerAssassin (308 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jbhdbc: Batman and Naruto pshhh. Sasuke has a sadder past. His whole family was murdered by his older brother the person he cared for the most and he had to relive it. Most Angel Beats characters had horrible pasts.

@GodOfMischief: Whats so sad about Deadpool I know little about his past, but he seems so cheerful and funny.

#11 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

kenshin himura.

#12 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Hit-girl. Her dad put her in danger for excitement, she had her childhood ripped away from her, and has no problem killing.

#13 Posted by GodOfMischief (641 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerAssassin: There was an issue on his back story in Deadpool and Cable, his mother died of cancer and his father (or step father) can't remember which, was shot. Then going through all the stuff at Weapon X.

#14 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17916 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

Jason Voorhees is kind of sad too,certainly tragic.

Will think of more later.

#15 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Roland Deschain. Catches his mother having an affair with his fathers top adviser, confronts his father about and finds out he knew for at least a few years, then a short time later Roland mistakenly kills his own mother.To cap it off he has to watch the one woman he's ever loved (besides his mother) die, and lastly every single one of his friends, family, and fellow citizens is killed and his city burned to the ground.

#16 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17916 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Bruce Banners is sad as well.

#17 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: I agree. Most people takes it for granted because its an old story that happened years ago, but its pretty tragic. He did a good deed, and gets punished for it. He becomes a raging, green behemoth, he can't date the girl he loves, said girl's father wants to kill him, and everyone he meets for years fear him, or even if they befriend him, they always either die, or turn evil.

#18 Edited by Strider92 (16302 posts) - - Show Bio

Taskmaster/Tony Masters: Every time he remembers too much he forgets everything he once had. He's lost his life multiple times because of it and doesn't remember his wife or any of his loved ones and every time he remembers everything again his memory gets written over again and he is forced to forget it all not only that he was a shield agent but because of his memory loss believes he's a villain so forces himself to do bad things because he can't remember anything else. Thus he is continuously alone and can't remember anyone he meets past a certain amount of time.

Jewl/Jessica Jones: Was even more unpopular than Peter Parker at school (da hell is that even possible?) she was then put into a coma due to an accident and when she got her powers she decided to do good with them until a villain called Purple Man a man with the ability to secrete mind control pheromones used them to enslave her and repeatedly sexually assault her for god knows how long while she was under his mind control.

Spawn/Al Simmon's: Made a deal with the devil to come back to life as a hideous hellspawn in order to see his wife again but due to his death didn't remember everything and found out that he was in fact an abusive husband who killed his own child by hitting his wife and making her have a miscarriage. now don't get me wrong its clear that Al before being brought back was a completely awful person however when he came back he had no memory of this and was simply deeply in love with his wife. Imagine finding out you killed your own child on purpose? Thats damn sad.

These take the top not many others come close really.

#19 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17916 posts) - - Show Bio

@mk111 said:

@mrdecepticonleader: I agree. Most people takes it for granted because its an old story that happened years ago, but its pretty tragic. He did a good deed, and gets punished for it. He becomes a raging, green behemoth, he can't date the girl he loves, said girl's father wants to kill him, and everyone he meets for years fear him, or even if they befriend him, they always either die, or turn evil.

True,I mean he can't even get angry without worrying about turning.

#20 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: He apparently can't even get too excited. I guess getting it on with Betty is out. ):

#21 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: I can see why they changed Simmons' backstory in the movie. Damn. o.O

#22 Posted by Samimista (20686 posts) - - Show Bio

The Boss/The Joy from Metal Gear Solid 3. Don't read if you haven't played the game.

Naked Snake's mentor who grew up with parents belonging to the Philosophers and as she got older the group began to arrange her death. In World War II she was the leader of the Cobra Unit where she met her lover The Sorrow whom she mated with. The two were in a battle of life and death. She had to kill him to survive. The Boss brought us victory in World War II. She literally gave birth on the battle field to only have her kid taken away. When her suit is unzipped you can see a scar from where she was cut open that resembles a snake.

Despite her bringing victory for us the United States made it seem as she defected to Russia. Our country viewed her as a traitor when she was a true patriot. For ten years prior to this she lived with John (Naked Snake) who was her disciple. His task was to kill her at all costs. Thus, the war between Major Zero and Big Boss was born.

I'll think of a few comic ones in a bit. Doctor Manhattan kinda comes to mind though.

#23 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17916 posts) - - Show Bio

@mk111 said:

@mrdecepticonleader: He apparently can't even get too excited. I guess getting it on with Betty is out. ):

Yeah that too.

#24 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Taskmaster: Every time he remembers too much he forgets everything he once had. He's lost his life multiple times because of it and doesn't remember his wife or any of his loved ones and every time he remembers everything again his memory gets written over again and he is forced to forget it all not only that he was a shield agent but because of his memory loss believes he's a villain so forces himself to do bad things because he can't remember anything else. Thus he is continuously alone and can't remember anyone he meets past a certain amount of time.

Jessica Jones: Was even more unpopular than Peter Parker at school (da hell is that even possible?) and when she got her powers she decided to do good with them until a villain called Purple Man a man with the ability to secrete mind control pheromones used them to enslave her and repeatedly sexually assault her for god knows how long while she was under his mind control.

Al Simmon's: Made a deal with the devil to come back to life as a hideous hellspawn in order to see his wife again but due to his death didn't remember everything and found out that he was in fact an abusive husband who killed his own child by hitting his wife and making her have a miscarriage. now don't get me wrong its clear that Al before being brought back was a completely awful person however when he came back he had no memory of this and was simply deeply in love with his wife. Imagine finding out you killed your own child on purpose? Thats damn sad.

#25 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Taskmaster: Every time he remembers too much he forgets everything he once had. He's lost his life multiple times because of it and doesn't remember his wife or any of his loved ones and every time he remembers everything again his memory gets written over again and he is forced to forget it all not only that he was a shield agent but because of his memory loss believes he's a villain so forces himself to do bad things because he can't remember anything else. Thus he is continuously alone and can't remember anyone he meets past a certain amount of time.

Jessica Jones: Was even more unpopular than Peter Parker at school (da hell is that even possible?) and when she got her powers she decided to do good with them until a villain called Purple Man a man with the ability to secrete mind control pheromones used them to enslave her and repeatedly sexually assault her for god knows how long while she was under his mind control.

Al Simmon's: Made a deal with the devil to come back to life as a hideous hellspawn in order to see his wife again but due to his death didn't remember everything and found out that he was in fact an abusive husband who killed his own child by hitting his wife and making her have a miscarriage. now don't get me wrong its clear that Al before being brought back was a completely awful person however when he came back he had no memory of this and was simply deeply in love with his wife. Imagine finding out you killed your own child on purpose? Thats damn sad.

this.

#26 Posted by Strider92 (16302 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

@Strider92: I can see why they changed Simmons' backstory in the movie. Damn. o.O

Yeah. The comic backstory is really messed up. As is the story for the other 2 I mentioned.

#27 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Has, is, and always be Hank Henshaw in my books. DC's Fantastic Four gone wild turned badass villain who only wants to die.

#28 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Sasuke Uchiha, Magneto, Daken, Wolverine

#29 Posted by JediXMan (30399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

I'd agree with this. I'd put others in the list, but her story always gets me - especially when the first comic I ever read of hers was Innocence Lost (after I saw her in X-Men: Evolution, which was also rather sad)

Moderator Online
#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33099 posts) - - Show Bio

Shadowman

grew up an orphan after his while bouncing from foster family to foster family, hires a private investigator to find out about his real parents and is informed the they where both wanted criminals when they died and he forsakes them but what really happened was his father fought and died to protect the world and now he has to stand guard at the border between living and the land of the dead for all eternity

#31 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker's stroy from the killing joke is sad as well.

#32 Posted by Nefarious (19850 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man.

#33 Posted by 202122 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

Spawn, new 52 Jason Todd and Starfire are pretty tragic

#34 Posted by The Stegman (24077 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce Wayne, simply because this image gets me every time.
#35 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (70 posts) - - Show Bio

I like punisher's a lot since he lost his entire family

#36 Posted by Qpzmg (976 posts) - - Show Bio

Itachi had a sad back story as well he had to kill his entire clan so he could save the village.

#37 Posted by Pyrogram (36936 posts) - - Show Bio

@Magethor said:

Loki.

He was adopted.... by his family's murderer.....

Kept as a pet to be disguised and treated as a son..... Only to praise another son who wasn't really his own, yet from another god....

A Goddess...

Loki practically lived a lie all his life...

Became a woman.

#38 Posted by TDK_1997 (14724 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

#39 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Strider92 said:

Taskmaster/Tony Masters: Every time he remembers too much he forgets everything he once had. He's lost his life multiple times because of it and doesn't remember his wife or any of his loved ones and every time he remembers everything again his memory gets written over again and he is forced to forget it all not only that he was a shield agent but because of his memory loss believes he's a villain so forces himself to do bad things because he can't remember anything else. Thus he is continuously alone and can't remember anyone he meets past a certain amount of time.

Jewl/Jessica Jones: Was even more unpopular than Peter Parker at school (da hell is that even possible?) she was then put into a coma due to an accident and when she got her powers she decided to do good with them until a villain called Purple Man a man with the ability to secrete mind control pheromones used them to enslave her and repeatedly sexually assault her for god knows how long while she was under his mind control.

Spawn/Al Simmon's: Made a deal with the devil to come back to life as a hideous hellspawn in order to see his wife again but due to his death didn't remember everything and found out that he was in fact an abusive husband who killed his own child by hitting his wife and making her have a miscarriage. now don't get me wrong its clear that Al before being brought back was a completely awful person however when he came back he had no memory of this and was simply deeply in love with his wife. Imagine finding out you killed your own child on purpose? Thats damn sad.

These aren't so much sad as they are overly melodramatic and exploitative. Jessica Jones' scenario just showcases Bendis' warped chauvinism (and love of Mary Sues)better than anything.  

The most sad are generally more subtle, at least to me.  
Light Yagami being a good one. Had he not found the Death Note, he'd have become a true beacon of goodness for society, but he had all of that torn away, and doomed his family and friends because of it. Simply because a Shinigami got bored and wanted to screw with humans. 
#40 Posted by Ms. Omega (4450 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna have to say Evil Ernie his parents ignored him then his parents physically and mentally abused him the his telepathic powers kicked in and he found out that his neighbors knew about the abuse by reading their minds and did nothing to help him thus turning an innocent child into a mass murderer.

Crossover Cover
#41 Posted by longbowhunter (7051 posts) - - Show Bio

Floyd Lawton (Deadshot)

Pretty tragic family history. Abusive father, accidently murdered his own brother, son was killed by a pedophile. Its all in the Suicide Squad: Deadshot mini from the 80's.

#42 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

this.

#43 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

These aren't so much sad as they are overly melodramatic and exploitative. Jessica Jones' scenario just showcases Bendis' warped chauvinism (and love of Mary Sues)better than anything. The most sad are generally more subtle, at least to me. Light Yagami being a good one. Had he not found the Death Note, he'd have become a true beacon of goodness for society, but he had all of that torn away, and doomed his family and friends because of it. Simply because a Shinigami got bored and wanted to screw with humans.

i though L was pretty sad too, the one friend he made stabbed him in the back because wanted to 'help' the world.

My list:

• Bruce Banner
  • Batman
  • Sentry
  • Joker
  • x-23
#44 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAcidSkull: Yeah, but L was a dick :P  

Light may have been a sociopath, but he was a nice one. 
#45 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@TheAcidSkull: Yeah, but L was a dick :P Light may have been a sociopath, but he was a nice one.

i kind of like L, he wasn't a dick, he was just....well i guess awkward fits him well.

light was crazy but when he gave up the death note it was seen that he would have been a nice guy, but as soon as he touched that thing again he want batSh*t insane again :P

#46 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAcidSkull: Exactly right. The Death Note was a curse. No one who uses it remains uncorrupted. Absolute power and all that.  

Eh, L was such a douche to MATSUDA aka the real hero of Death Note and the other members of the taskforce. He was nice to Light and Misa, but kept testing and screwing with the others. 
#47 Posted by BumpyBoo (8781 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about THE saddest ever, but I always found The Crow's back story heartbreaking. Very sad story.

Moderator Online
#48 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@TheAcidSkull: Exactly right. The Death Note was a curse. No one who uses it remains uncorrupted. Absolute power and all that. Eh, L was such a douche to MATSUDA aka the real hero of Death Note and the other members of the taskforce. He was nice to Light and Misa, but kept testing and screwing with the others.

i light the metaphor light represents as well :P

thats the best Part about L! he made me did from laughter . matsuda became the hero of the story! he became a man!

#49 Posted by Wolfrazer (6516 posts) - - Show Bio

Hercules....I mean the guy killed his own family! Granted it was due to Hera, but still...

#50 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

Dex-starr...