Royal Marines on murder charges in Afghanistan

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

Whilst it would be premature( if not "sub judice") for me to comment on the ultimate judicial fate of the Royal Marines arrested on charges of allegedly murdering an Taliban insurgent in Helmand Province during their deployment, I am more than a little concerned by the "Our Boys Can Do Nothing Wrong" attitude of those who have set up a support group on Facebook.

To my mind(and presumably the authorities), if there is evidence to support a charge, then let the old maxim "Fiat rua justitia caelum- let justice be done, throguh the heavens fall" apply!

Anybody else think as I do?

Terry

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dernman

I don't have any confidence in so called evidence or lack there of. I also have no confidence in any system that would judge them. They will get a pass or *&^* over depending on where the political wind blows.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Paracelsus

We are talking about killing someone( an "insurgent" read "terrorist") not in the heat of battle, but when he was  a helpless prisoner in need of medical aid. During WWII, BOTH Allied and Axis soldiers may very well have murdered captured enemy POWs( such as the now notorious retaliatiory order to US Army soldiers in the aftermath of the "Malmedy massacre" during the "Battle Of The Bulge" offensive in Dec.1944 ordering them to kill captured SS men and parachutists on the spot), and during the NI "Troubles" soldiers and Marines may well have shot dead IRA men who were reportedly unarmed- as local people claimed, but thankfully we have reached a level where we no LONGER turn a"blind eye to murder".
Killing unarmed and helpless prisoners is quite literally a disgrace to not just the Corps but to what it stands for- "fiat rua justitia caelum"- let justice be done though the heavens fall!"

'Nuff said!

Terry

PS it could be worse- as both Afghanistan and the UK are signatories to the International Criminal Court, the UK could have waived jurisdiction and had the hapless "bootnecks"( slang for  Royal Marines, similar to the US Marine Corps term for one of its members- "leatherneck") transferred to the Court at the Hague!