#1 Edited by SmashBrawler (5977 posts) - - Show Bio

As the title states, Ray Harryhausen (age 93) has recently passed away. Harryhausen is probably one of the greatest pioneers in cinema history. Known for his groundbreaking work on visual effects, he's one of the people responsible for perfecting the art of stop-motion, which is considered by many to be a lost art, specially after the advent of CGI.

Harryhausen was largely responsible for some of the most iconic and beloved scenes in stop-motion and cinema history, his work being featured in films such as The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans, just to mention a few.

His legacy inspired tons of people in the industry, such as Dennis Muren, Tim Burton, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Yoshiaki Kawajiri, Sam Raimi, Joe Dante, Stan Winston, Kevin Yagher, Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, John Landis, Rick Baker, Peter Jackson, Ivan Reitman, Joe Johnston, John Lasseter, Nick Park, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, George Lucas, Henry Selick and Rob Bottin.

He was, is and always will be a legend.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to watch that Ray Harryhausen box set I bought a while ago.

#2 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P

That Skeleton fight was pretty impressive.

#3 Edited by russellmania77 (15704 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P

#4 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23295 posts) - - Show Bio

Requiescant in pace.

#5 Edited by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason and the Argonauts is one of my favorite childhood movies. Works that will forever remain in my heart.

Rest in Peace.

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

A true giant of the movie special effects industry.

There will never be another Ray Harryhausen.

#7 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP

#8 Posted by Thief_of_Thieves (44 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by SHTR (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Truly one of the greats. RIP Ray Harryhausen.

#10 Posted by Shirzad (391 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP

#11 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P. King of his field he was.

#12 Edited by ARMIV2 (8717 posts) - - Show Bio

May God rest him. Such a talent and touchstone the likes of which the world is rarely graced with.

#13 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13466 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P

your achievements will be forever remembered.

#14 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18454 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP

#15 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P. the guy is a legend and was WAY ahead of his time...A lot of his movies put CGI to shame even..

#16 Posted by consolemaster001 (5897 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP

#17 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP