Rioting in Turkey

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Thousands of protesters in Istanbul clashed with police in the most violent rally Turkey has seen in years. Hundreds have been injured and dozens arrested in fierce rioting which the media has dubbed the Turkish Spring as it spreads across the country.

The protests in Turkey have entered their second day Saturday morning, with police trying to disperse crowds in Istanbul and Ankara with teargas and water cannons.

The bridge over the Bosphorous Strait in Istanbul was blocked by thousands of protesters heading west from the eastern part of the city, trying to reach Taksim Square, cordoned off by police.

The Friday morning police crackdown on peaceful Occupy-style protesters rallying against the demolition of a landmark park in Istanbul, have over the day and night grown into massive street battles with police using teargas and water cannons against thousands of demonstrators and rioting spilling over to other Turkish cities, including the capital Ankara, and the Aegean coastal city of Izmir.

What started out as a protest against cutting down trees in the Istanbul Gezi Park turned into a broader demonstration against Prime Minster Tayyip Erdogan’s Islamist Justice and Development Party (AKP), which the demonstrators accuse of having grown increasingly authoritarian.

This isn’t about trees anymore; it’s about all of the pressure we’re under from this government. We’re fed up; we don’t like the direction the country is headed in,” Mert Burge, an 18-year-old student, who came to support the protesters after he heard about the use of teargas via twitter, told Reuters.

At least 12 people including a pro-Kurdish MP and a Reuters photographer, suffered trauma injuries in the clashes. Six of the injured are suffering from serious head trauma. A 34-year-old Egyptian tourist is undergoing an operation after suffering a brain hemorrhage, Huseyin Demirduzen, from the Istanbul Medical Chamber board, told Reuters. Meanwhile a member of the opposition Peace and Democratic Party is in intensive care in a serious condition.

Hundreds more suffered respiratory problems due to the effects of tear gas, Demirduzen said. Several people were injured after a wall they were trying to climb in an attempt to get away from clouds of teargas collapsed underneath them.

In Ankara, police also used teargas to disperse protesters trying to reach the headquarters of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) in support of the anti-government rioters in Istanbul.

No Caption Provided

Full article and link :

http://rt.com/news/turkey-clashes-istanbul-park-067/

My thoughts : The media is making it seem like the protestors were "peacefully voicing their concerns." and then the waffen-ss suddenly came along and brutalized everybody. It's obvious that most of these people don't give a flying f*** about the trees and want to have an excuse for rioting against the government. The police used excessive force, i agree. But the protestors aren't innocent either, they turned this into a large scale riot by taking it to other places.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it true that the issue with the trees and park is similar to having Central Park bulldozed for a mall?

Avatar image for deactivated-57b0192c126a2
deactivated-57b0192c126a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

smh

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what the Turkish government gets for messing with Syria. Turkish Spring for the win.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a big surprise. Turkey has been known to trample on the rights of others quite brutally. Just research how they treated the Kurds.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of the problem is the limited access to KFC they have.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Xanni15

LOL@ "peaceful protest"

All of these people started running when the teargas came out, didn't they? I'm sure that was when they started being peaceful.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lykopis

What's happening in Turkey is terrible -- what started out peaceful became violent because of the overly aggressive dispersing tactics of the police. Tear gas -- even the illegal kind were used on people -- that the government has prevented media within its own country report on what's going on tells you something is terribly wrong here. The pictures on twitter and tumblr (thank you @consolemaster001) tells the true story - I hope the world is paying close attention. This reminds me of what happened in Spain last year.

What kind of responsible leader states "for over 20 people protesting, I can bring in 200, 000 -- for every 100, 000, I can bring in one million."

Good luck to the Turkish people. It appears all the fears they have been expressing about this decade long party in power of their country is true.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

....hurm.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@lykopis said:

Is it true that the issue with the trees and park is similar to having Central Park bulldozed for a mall?

I suppose, but the New Yorkers would probably lynch every single politician within the week if Central Park was threatened.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bogey: Kurds wanted a country and they didn't give it to them, booohooo

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

I suppose, but the New Yorkers would probably lynch every single politician within the week if Central Park was threatened.

Wouldn't get past the idea stage, let alone the bulldoze stage. I couldn't even imagine - even the people driving the construction trucks would refuse to and more from fear than anything else.

The Turkish people had no say or probably weren't aware/allowed to voice their opinions at the planning stage.

Either way -- sad state of affairs over there.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eeshaan1685

@bogey said:

It's not a big surprise. Turkey has been known to trample on the rights of others quite brutally. Just research how they treated the Kurds.

Well, Theres the thing about the Arab Spring. Which sadly turned out to be the Arab Chilling Winter ( just look at Egypt and Syria ). Now Erdogan has been slowly and steadily pushing Turkey towards being a conservative islamist state, while the youth of Turkey are more of the secular liberal type.

So yeah, stuff like this is expected. Now we can only wait for the **** hitting the fan for Saudi Arabia and Jordan lol.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: They call it a "revolution"

lol, protest for less than 3 days, REVOLUTION.

Oh boy.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: They call it a "revolution"

lol, protest for less than 3 days, REVOLUTION.

Oh boy.

Yeah, I have to agree. This is nowhere near a revolution. What it can do is place seeds of discontent but whether or not anything comes out of it, I doubt it. Had it been a more co-ordinated and concentrated effort, especially media-wise (twitter, etc) then maybe there would be some lasting impact but from where I am, things seems to have fizzled out.

I guess Istanbul will be getting more shoppes and boutiques after all.

Egemensson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, it's been a while but here's a cool videos of actions of beşiktaş supporter group-çarşı(and many other people) against police during the riots;

Loading Video...

making fun of it, even in darkest hours :D

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, it's been a while but here's a cool videos of actions of beşiktaş supporter group-çarşı(and many other people) against police during the riots;

Loading Video...

making fun of it, even in darkest hours :D

yeah

I'm glad it's over now.

FableCounty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers