#1 Posted by danhimself (21282 posts) - - Show Bio

So the first episode of Revolution premiered tonight and I thought it was pretty good. I'm definitely going to tune in for a few more episodes to see how it plays out.

Loading Video...
#2 Posted by _Hawk_ (2108 posts) - - Show Bio

Your thread isn't as good as mine lol.

#3 Posted by HammerTron (759 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoiler alert. I wonder if the cause of the blackout was caused by something other and an EMP pulse. I wonder this because I think if it was an EMP pulse people could get things running again in less than 15 years. I would take a while, but new circuits could be built to replace those that would be destroyed in an EMP pulse.

#4 Posted by danhimself (21282 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Hawk_: LOL NO WAY!!!! Look mine has a picture AND a video...it's the best thread there is!

@HammerTron: the one guy at the beginning said something about physics going wonky (I'm paraphrasing)...But it had to have done something other than an EMP...people would have been smart enough to make hand crank generators at the least so without seeing them I'm assuming that they don't work either

#5 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

The trailer reminds me of "The Last Of Us"

#6 Posted by danhimself (21282 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER: I really like the plant overran city shots....unlike a lot of shows that use fake background shots they didn't look to fake...like the ones in Once Upon A Time where you can tell that the backdrops are fake a lot of the time

#7 Posted by WillPayton (11526 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: I really like the plant overran city shots....unlike a lot of shows that use fake background shots they didn't look to fake...like the ones in Once Upon A Time where you can tell that the backdrops are fake a lot of the time

The overgrowth of the cities seemed like too much for just 15 years. I'd imagine you'd need at least twice that long for what we saw.

#8 Posted by danhimself (21282 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton said:

@danhimself said:

The overgrowth of the cities seemed like too much for just 15 years. I'd imagine you'd need at least twice that long for what we saw.

15 years is a long time with absolutely no upkeep at all...vine plants grow very quickly...I have some that grow up the side of my house and every year they reach the top of my 2 story house before the end of summer and we tear them down....plus with all of the pumps and things not working most cities sewer systems would almost instantly flood so the plants have pretty much a perfect environment

#9 Posted by danhimself (21282 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@WillPayton said:

@danhimself said:

The overgrowth of the cities seemed like too much for just 15 years. I'd imagine you'd need at least twice that long for what we Lsaw.

15 years is a long time with absolutely no upkeep at all...vine plants grow very quickly...I have some that grow up the side of my house and every year they reach the top of my 2 story house before the end of summer and we tear them down....plus with all of the pumps and things not working most cities sewer systems would almost instantly flood so the plants have pretty much a perfect environment

just to add to that....this is from the History Channel show; Life After People

1 yearPlants have taken over turning manicured lawns into overgrown fields. Weeds grow in cracks in the roads eventually forming a layer of nutrient-poor topsoil where clover fields take root. Plants and ivy take root in stone and masonry work and begin to damage the foundations of buildings. Wild animals will have found shelter in the abandoned cities. At the Hoover Dam, a mollusk called the Quagga mussel, begins to clog the pipelines feeding cooling water to the generators and they shut down. As a result, Las Vegas finally goes dark. Without the generators running, no water passes through Hoover Dam and eventually the Colorado River will run dry. Meanwhile, the waters rise in Lake Mead and eventually spills over the dam. Sparked by lightning storms, many wild fires will go unchecked without people to fight them. These fires can burn down entire towns and damage cities such as Chicago, San Francisco and Rome. The charred rubble provides the nitrogen plants need to grow and plant life consumes the ruins.
5 yearsMost roadways begin to disappear under a carpet of grass. In London, Buckingham Palace is breached by vines and moss. In Moscow, Red Square turns green as it's overtaken by plant life. In New York City, the great lawns of Central Park spout sapling trees. Before long it will become a spreading forest. The monuments of Washington D.C. are swallowed by greenery. If they had escaped, it is possible that some zoo animals from exotic areas such as Asia or Africa such as lions, tigers, elephants and rhinos may still survive in the wild if they migrated to the southern climate of the United States.
20 yearsConcrete structures begin to crack and crumble as freeze and thaw cycles, as well as invading vegetation, pries them apart. Without people to maintain levees, low lying cities such as Amsterdam and London will have flooded. As their metal frames corrode from rust, windows crack and fall from buildings exposing the interiors to the elements. Birds can now take up residence inside these structures. The copperlightning rods on top of skyscrapers will have corroded and a lightning strike could turn a building into a towering inferno. Here the show examines the ruins of Prypiat, Ukraine, which were abandoned in 1986 after the Chernobyl disaster. They are used as a real-life example of the level of decay that could happen after 20 years of humanity's disappearance. Despite initial high radiation levels that killed the local flora and fauna near the nuclear plant, in 20 years, the plant and animal life has returned to the area, with much of it flourishing significantly without human interference.
#10 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I was about to bring up Life After People, but you beat me to it.

#11 Posted by stoneo (347 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the first episode was great. But I'm really curious about Nate. My theory is that Grace is his mother and Monroe is his father (he looks like he could be half black-half white).

#12 Posted by kuonphobos (5181 posts) - - Show Bio

The scale of the show seemed small. After watching episode 1 my hopes for the show decreased by 50%

#13 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio

Does it explain why they are using swords and crossbows? I didn't see one firearm in any of the previews.. did those "go out" too?

#14 Posted by joshmightbe (26039 posts) - - Show Bio

This show doesn't make any sense at all, electricity isn't just something that runs your computer, its a fundamental force in the universe and without it everything would die because electrical impulses are what make nervous systems work.

#15 Edited by joshmightbe (26039 posts) - - Show Bio

Also without electricity plants can't take nutrients from the ground, they can't do photosynthesis or produce seeds or oxygen. Bacteria can't move eat or reproduce so basically if all electricity went away all life ceases pretty much instantly and we can't even decompose properly leaving Earth a slowly rotting husk floating in space. That is if atoms can still hold together without electrical charge if not then the entire planet itself would just disintegrate.

#16 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Stop making sense!

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (26039 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime`: Just saying they could have thought this out more

#18 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: If they thought more TV probably wouldn't suck as much.

#19 Posted by joshmightbe (26039 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime`: I'm not hearing any disagreement

#20 Posted by kuonphobos (5181 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps the fundamentals of electricity haven't changed just humankinds ability to harness it.

I was thinking about the black powder rifles. Wouldn't it be simpler to make your own casings and bullets and use more modern firearms? They did say possession of firearms was a hanging offense which would limit distribution but even the militias were using black powder.

#21 Posted by WillPayton (11526 posts) - - Show Bio

@kuonphobos said:

Perhaps the fundamentals of electricity haven't changed just humankinds ability to harness it.

I was thinking about the black powder rifles. Wouldn't it be simpler to make your own casings and bullets and use more modern firearms? They did say possession of firearms was a hanging offense which would limit distribution but even the militias were using black powder.

No need to make your own bullets, there's billions of bullets around. Even if they ran out (which they wont), there are plenty of people who know how to make more, or even just where the nearest weapons/ammo factory is.

Also, even if these militias outlawed guns... imagine how many men they'd need to take out even one grumpy dude with an assault rifle. Then, multiply that by 100 for even a small town that doesnt like your "law". Then, multiply that by the number of towns, farms, and whatnot that you'd have to go around trying to impose that law on... it's not happening. You'd have a war in every single place you go to, and many of those places will be armed with ex-military gear from the old military bases... grenades, land mines, machine guns, cannons,... none of them require electronics to work.

#22 Posted by kuonphobos (5181 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah like I said before the scale seems too small. Fifteen years would not be enough time for a somwhat fuedal system to become the dominant form of society. Looks like the major influences on the show are Book of Eli (for the brief sword fight scene) and Costner's the Postman for the fuedal/militia aspect. Even the Showtime series Jeremiah which I think also had a "15 years after" timeline atleast seems more realistic in the relatively modern societal formations.

#23 Posted by joshmightbe (26039 posts) - - Show Bio

Also did people forget that cars used to work just fine before the electric ignition was invented? Hell they used to have cars that ran off a hand crank. Unless combustion stopped working too they should be able to get a car working fairly easily without electricity, and since electricity obviously still exists considering that life still functions not to mention the chick at the end with a working computer, unless humanity just said to hell with it there is absolutely no logical reason for the power to have been out for more than a couple weeks.

#24 Posted by danhimself (21282 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Also did people forget that cars used to work just fine before the electric ignition was invented? Hell they used to have cars that ran off a hand crank. Unless combustion stopped working too they should be able to get a car working fairly easily without electricity, and since electricity obviously still exists considering that life still functions not to mention the chick at the end with a working computer, unless humanity just said to hell with it there is absolutely no logical reason for the power to have been out for more than a couple weeks.

you're going for the easiest explanation...it's obviously not an EMP....It appears to be something that is blocking things from using electricity and the necklace is what got the computer working so I'm guessing that the necklaces create some sort of bubble that allows them to work

#25 Posted by danhimself (21282 posts) - - Show Bio

What did everyone think of the second episode? I enjoyed it.

#26 Posted by joshmightbe (26039 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Some form electricity has to be working or else like I said all life would cease to exist

#27 Posted by beggar (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: The second episode was great! I wasn't sure where they would go from the first episode, but I liked the character development. Ending was crazy too, I hope they keep the twists coming.

#28 Posted by danhimself (21282 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: whatever happened didn't cause electricity to cease to exist....I think whatever happened is blocking machines from accessing the power and like I said the necklaces create some sort of bubble that allows machines in however big of an area to access that power again

#29 Posted by joshmightbe (26039 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Well as of right now it doesn't make any kind of sense, I want to like this show but but they're going to need to give a good reason for the premise

#30 Posted by danhimself (21282 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I'm sure they'll get around to explaining things...it's a mystery show...like Lost...you can't expect them to reveal everything in the first two episodes