k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Gareth Evans' The Raid is without question one of my favorite movies. The hand-to-hand choreography is some of the best you'll ever witness and the kills are ruthless yet cheerworthy. The plot, though? Well, it was about as basic as it could get, but the beyond stunning fights and pacing compensated for that and then some. The Raid 2 still has everything that's thoroughly awesome about the first movie and then adds a legitimately solid plot and throws a crazy amount of creativity into its action scenes and the directing. So yeah, that quote on the The Raid 2's poster ("one of the greatest action movies ever made") is something I most definitely agree with.

Taking place shortly after the first movie's ending, Rama (Iko Uwais) is assigned to go undercover and infiltrate a crime family in Jakarta. He grows close to the crime lord's son, Uco (Arifin Putra), and from there he must gather evidence to help save the city from these not-so-kind people. While the first movie only had a handful of characters that mattered, this one opens the flood gates by incorporating a huge cast and establishing a much bigger world.

The first film had a simple formula. There was a little bit of set-up and then it jumped back and forth between battles and tension. The Raid 2 is roughly 2.5 hours long and doesn't repeat that formula. Don't worry, there's still more than enough superb action to enjoy, but it also implements a whole lot of character-driven scenes. The plot isn't going to blow your mind or anything, but it's honestly attention-grabbing and certainly had me emotionally invested at quite a few points.

No Caption Provided

There's some seriously clever directing in this film. Sure, a few parts go a bit overboard with the use of shaky camera, but that's massively countered by how many brilliant shots and transitions there are. Somehow, Evans is able to take small settings (e.g. a toilet stall, the inside of a car) and craft a fight scene that completely puts other movies to shame. And it's not just the action scenes, either. Even something as simple as Rama making a call is original. Needless to say, I have nothing but praise for the way this movie is directed.

The brawls are insanely impressive and absurdly entertaining. Not only is there plenty of vicious and exciting hand-to-hand combat, but this movie has a ton of variety with its action. From one of the most brutal and fun car chases you'll ever see to watching characters who specialize in baseball bats (and baseballs!) and hammers, the action is simply unparalleled and never repetitive. No amount of words will justify how truly astonishing the final stretch of action is. I can say with total confidence that it is easily one of the best action sequences you'll ever witness. No doubt about it whatsoever. And it shouldn't really need to be said, but if you're not the biggest fan of blood, this one obviously isn't for you.

The Raid 2 is phenomenal and absolutely a must see if you love R-rated action/martial arts movies. The choreography and directing is incredible, and the movie does a fine job expanding The Raid's world. It's very ambitious and I wanted to watch it all over again once the credits began to roll. Considering it's a 2.5 hour movie, that's saying quite a bit.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Excellent review! I'll definitely be looking forward to watching it with a shiny rating of five stars!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Cool.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I CAN NOT wait to watch this movie!

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna go watch 1.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Excellent review! I'll definitely be looking forward to watching it with a shiny rating of five stars!

Thanks. You liked the first, right? If so, you should be looking forward to it anyway!

Cool.

COOL INDEED.

I CAN NOT wait to watch this movie!

When does it open near you?

Gonna go watch 1.

Welcome to The Raid fan club.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I loved the first film. It's one of my favorite action films. I was already very excited for this movie, but with a five-star rating from you, I'm even more eager to watch it.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

I need this. I need it so bad!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

@k4tzm4n: I loved the first film. It's one of my favorite action films. I was already very excited for this movie, but with a five-star rating from you, I'm even more eager to watch it.

How many stars would you give the first? Remember, no half-stars!

@erik said:

I need this. I need it so bad!

Apparently it opens everywhere April 11th.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I'd give The Raid overall a four-star rating. Excellent action scenes and suspense, but the actual plot/story is rather simplistic and isn't anything special.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: All I have in my theater is Sabotage, 300: 2, Non-Stop, Divergent, Need for Speed, LEGO, Frozen, Ride-Along, and Noah. None of them are blowing my skirt up.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: According to wikipedia it's out in the UK on April 11th.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I just checked my local theater. It doesn't plan to have The Raid 2 at it's location. What the actual F**K!!!??!?!?!

sleeperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main criticism I saw was people saying that the violence went a bit too far. I'm fortunately at a point in my life where I only want more. I still might prefer some of the sequences from the first, the hallway scene still remains a favorite, but that scene in the cars was absolutely incredible. Great movie.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

One of my squadmates saw the first one this past week and, literally, RAVED about it for roughly 2 hours. So, needless to say, I'm a bit intrigued.

I'll need to check this one out after the first one.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome review, Gregg, as always
Raid Redemption is without question, one of the finest action movies I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. Seeing as this this one will be equally as awesome, I'm definitely putting it on my watch-list. After my exams, of course. :P

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: even the cameramen are doing their own stunts cot dayum

MrsCalculator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before watching The Raid 2 you should check out this video of counting every kick, punch, shot and kill in The Raid 1!
It's pretty damn impressive how big those numbers are! Wonder if The Raid 2 will ever beat that! :P
Every Move in The Raid:Redemption

Loading Video...

And yes... I did make it ;)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before watching The Raid 2 you should check out this video of counting every kick, punch, shot and kill in The Raid 1!

It's pretty damn impressive how big those numbers are! Wonder if The Raid 2 will ever beat that! :P

Every Move in The Raid:Redemption

Loading Video...

And yes... I did make it ;)

Ha that's insane

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rogueshadow  Moderator

I loved redemption, I was worried this would be terrible to be honest, like many B-movie sequels. I can't wait to see this now, great review.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: even the cameramen are doing their own stunts cot dayum

Yeah, there's some excellent camera work in this.

One of my squadmates saw the first one this past week and, literally, RAVED about it for roughly 2 hours. So, needless to say, I'm a bit intrigued.

I'll need to check this one out after the first one.

Prepare to be amazed.

Awesome review, Gregg, as always

Raid Redemption is without question, one of the finest action movies I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. Seeing as this this one will be equally as awesome, I'm definitely putting it on my watch-list. After my exams, of course. :P

Thank you.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Reminder: opens in more theaters today.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points