Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Poll Retail or Fast Food? (13 votes)

Retail 38%
Fast food 62%

Typically what's the bigger nightmare for a young kid entering the work world ? I got my start in fast food, but I heard my share of retail horror stories.

But what aboot you guys? (I did aboot on purpose)

• 
Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I work in a store. I have little responsibility, my tasks require little to no skills and get paid pretty decently. (I also live about 5 minutes drive away, literally)

Zero complaints.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Darling_Luna
Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BeaconofStrength

It really depends. I started with retail, and it can be a real pain dealing with some people. I think the worst part is dealing with shop lifters, because a majority of them get off free. You cant do anything about it, or you will get a cut in your pay. My experience with retail aint that great.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first job was at a grocery store. It wasn't that bad.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@darling_luna said:

@fallschirmjager: So not a hassle ? hehe

Not even a little bit.

My first job was working at a Restoration Business. (I was 18). Overtime is almost mandatory, the work is very physical and exhausting and you have to be on an on-call schedule (usually rotating with other employees) which requires you to be ready 24/7 for whatever week. If that means waking your ass up in the middle of the night, you wake up and go.

I've also gone to other cities, 3+ hours drive away because there was a huge amount of work there. One in particular we were living out of a hotel for 2 weeks, working 12-15 hour shifts every day with only a couple uniforms and a couple change of clothes.

There's also hazard work, where you have to wear tyvec suits, gloves, goggles and respirators - in the summer when its 80/90+ ...not much fun.

So yeah. Retail is a joke compared to that for me.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@darling_luna said:

@fallschirmjager: Wow, well glad you moved on ^-^

It was good for me at the time though. I needed a kick in the ass type job. And my partner (you usually work in teams of 2) taught me a really great work ethic which I'm glad for.

Money is pretty good though, if you want to work. I averaged over 50 hours a week over the course of a year. My first week was 63 :p

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

started walmart for 5 yrs. hated it at the time but really helped launch me to where i am today, if not solely gave me the motivation to never have to return to such a job lol.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

As a person who has worked retail, although it can be a pain in the butt, it's okay. Fast Food seems just horrible though, always having to rush and smelling like french fry grease at the end of the day.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darling_luna:

I assume that you're Canadian, Ms. Luna. That's cool. You guys make great beer. Anyhoo, If you don't mind dealing with idiots who can't seem to hang the shirt/pair of pants/etc... back where they found them, then retail clothing is for you. Fast food isn't that bad. I worked at a Mrs. Fields cookie store for years and loved every minute of it (I also love to bake in my free time, so that may have had something to do with that...). But there were a few bright sides to working at the clothing stores I worked at back in the day: Namely the employee discounts on clothes. Plus the bonuses we'd get when the store sold a certain amount over the projected sales goals for the month/year.

So it's a 50/50 proposition. Depending on your people skills, and your ability to take direction, you could excel at either one and do very well. Either by climbing the ladder and managing the place you work now, or as a stepping stone to other things in the future. Good luck, ma!

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Darling_Luna

@heraldofganthet:

<- Is American, doesn't drink and no longer works heheh

I figured it would depend, just want to get idea about viners, to give the info to our new overlord Grumpycat

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darling_luna:

Kitty cat Overlords...It's like Ancient Egypt all over again....*smh*

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

Retail, and in a pharmacy so people were always on edge. They'd come in complaining about things that we had no control over; wanting more medication (So go talk to your doctor), wondering why their pills are so expensive (So go talk to your insurance, if you have any), or whining why it takes so long for us to fill their prescription (We always guaranteed it in less than an hour but usually it only took 15 mins, but others were ahead of them). It wasn't stressful for me at all, I liked it but it was more of a job where around certain times there'd be a rush and the rest of the day pretty slow.

Avatar image for freddys-coming-for-you
Freddys-coming-for-you

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fast food anyday.

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only worked at one retail store and was fired within two weeks. The work was not my cup o' tea. I've never worked in fast food though....and I would never even apply given all the horror stories i've heard. So, even though retail sucked, I would still choose it over fast food.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@overlordargeist: Any store you worked at hehe

Actually, both can be a nightmare if the establishment lack proper supervision and under staffed. I work as an I.T. Staff before I become an Admin., I used to make supervisory level decision, though good experience for me, but scary at the same time because I lack experience to use as reference.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Fast food, or more specifically McDonalds is probably the worst job you could land.