Religion… What do you think?

Raffels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lordraiden: Seperation of Church has absolutely nothing to do with religion being in the public….

What you want believers to say believing in god won't save them? SO you essentially want them not to believe in what they believe. Either way hoiw many times does that happen? WHo can force a religion on you anyway if you don't want to?

Politicians say they are part of a faith but also try to pass laws that are against what they said they believed in… THat's why non believers still vote for politicians who belong to a church.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14552  Edited By Cable_Extreme

@raffels: @lordraiden: the simple answer to this is (in America) people can say what they want. If they want to go hold up signs and protest/preach so be it. I won't stand around and watch, but I think they should be able to preach or do what they want whether I like it or not. Now if we are talking about religion in public schools, I don't think the school or a staff member of the school should show a bias towards any religion. Same goes for any governmental position.

I do agree that I dislike being told or asked "hey do you want to be saved from eternal damnation? If so, believe this book". Etc.... But their right to say it shouldn't be impeached, in public places*.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raffels said:

@lordraiden: Seperation of Church has absolutely nothing to do with religion being in the public….

Uh yeah it does

What you want believers to say believing in god won't save them? SO you essentially want them not to believe in what they believe. Either way hoiw many times does that happen? WHo can force a religion on you anyway if you don't want to?

The issue is not about if he wants it or not, the issue is those in control are of religious faith and try to dictate laws, social norms and education based on religious faith.

Politicians say they are part of a faith but also try to pass laws that are against what they said they believed in… THat's why non believers still vote for politicians who belong to a church.

What laws? Even then, a smart politician understands that not everyone believes in their faith (or lack thereof) and the first amendment applies to everyone. And should not impose their will onto others.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_clockwork91: the establishment clause (aka separation of church and state) doesn't deal with religion expressed in public, it deals with religious support and bias of the government (congress, public schools, etc...).

Raffels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_clockwork91: No it doesn't show me what you are talking religion can be out in public.

Those with agendas to get more funding are what run this country…It's all about the mighty dollar and control. Companies are getting paid like crazy the true bad guys.

For example, taxes for Obama Care fund abortions withc offends some religious tax payers. I could go on.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raffels said:

@mr_clockwork91: No it doesn't show me what you are talking religion can be out in public.

First Amendment, freedom of speech. Although I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to debate at this point.

Those with agendas to get more funding are what run this country…It's all about the mighty dollar and control. Companies are getting paid like crazy the true bad guys.

Yeah religious agendas. But companies are the true bad guys? The ones that provide jobs and benefits to employees?

For example, taxes for Obama Care fund abortions withc offends some religious tax payers. I could go on.

I agree with you, I recant my last statement on this.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme: My thought process of opposing his point was that, lets say an officer can not arrest you for preaching about satan and a group of christians are offended. Even if that officer was a christian himself/herself, he/she must remain unbiased.

Get where I'm coming from?

Raffels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_clockwork91: Same here, I;m not sure what you are talking about what does the first Amendment have to do with the question?

Yeah, companies who want to have that seperation of church by lobbying to have tax loopholes so they pay no taxes. Lobbying to the Government to pay farmers not to grow food, so prices stay higher…are you really serious?

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raffels: You said show me how religion can be out in public. First Amendment.

Second; there are other factors that determine prices, and not all companies are like that. If product prices stay high, they lose productivity and lose money since no one is buying their products.

Your point is not entirely false nor is it entirely true.

Raffels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_clockwork91: Wait, how did you get so confused? You said, "I think it should stay out of the public, personally, hence, separation of church and state" I was arguing against that.

In the end, my point being is a lot of the real issues that actually affect you every day are not getting the attention they deserve. While this nonsense is.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_clockwork91: yes, the officer cannot violate rights, nor can they discriminate based on religious views.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raffels said:

@mr_clockwork91: Wait, how did you get so confused? You said, "I think it should stay out of the public, personally, hence, separation of church and state" I was arguing against that.

I never said that.

In the end, my point being is a lot of the real issues that actually affect you every day are not getting the attention they deserve. While this nonsense is.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@raffels said:

@lordraiden: A minority block evengelical voter may belief this is Christian at ion so get out but certainly tat holds no weight in the real world poliics to effect any one. So I see no point in you saying that like it holds any meaning.

Take a step back and listen to what you are saying and clarify what do you mean by personal space?

At my college graduation should I have not thanked God so I didn't offend anybody?

You don't want Christians marketing their product basically but you could care less about the million commercial you see of products everywhere? Specifically targetting you or your kids.

Personal space as in keep your religion and beliefs to yourself and not put them onto others and don't proselytize, as Hitch once said, unless someone asks you or wants to know more, that's fine, that's called conversation, but don't tell other people they have to believe in your faith or they will suffer for not believing in it and your just trying to save them, you have your homes and churches as far as practicing your faith and beliefs go, I think it should stay out of the public, personally, hence, separation of church and state . I don't care if you wanna thank god, personally, that's not a belief, that's just a statement, just don't make other people think they have to do the same, simple as that. I don't tell you not to believe in god, you don't tell me to believe in a god, simple. I find the difference with religion is, that indoctrination tells the followers that there faith is the true faith and way, and anyone who doesn't believe in it is inferior or worse, will suffer! That is kind of hard to keep to one'self, if it's preaching along those lines.

As for America, no one would have a prayer of hope (pardon the pun :-)) getting into politics if they didn't believe in God. To be more specific, no one would have a chance at running for election let a lone winning a presidential election. To be even more specific, edit that to the Christian god, and, well, you decide!

To expect Christians not to proselytize is unrealistic, selfish, and absurd; Christianity is about fulfilling the Great Commission to the masses; if you don't like it, just either tell the Christian that you're not interested or separate yourself from it the same way you would separate yourself from a brand of music that you don't prefer. The only personal space you can protect is your own, but forget about blocking the masses from enjoying Christianity, because that's just not going to happen. You should see it as trying to tell a musician to stop spreading his music around and see how far you can get with that approach. You should consider it not as bad as living in a Middle Eastern country where Sharia Law is imposed; it's clearly not that bad to hear Christians fulfilling the Great Commission.

Raffels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It's kinda baffling how Christianity started out as a middle eastern cult and ended up as the most western of all religions it is today.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14566  Edited By dshipp17

It's kinda baffling how Christianity started out as a middle eastern cult and ended up as the most western of all religions it is today.

The answer: Christians fulfilling the Great Commission as intended by Jesus.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

That's not really what I'm talking about...

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I have no idea but I feel like that is something that would be a book.

TheDudeMcDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Without going into over-extraneous detail and ranting, my own views can be summed up as, I believe in a God, but I do not follow any specific Religion. I have a lot of thoughts on my idea of God and how a being would act, behave and impact all of existence.

Raffels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame twitter

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

You may be confused about an explanation because you've tried to group Christianity with all the other religions; with that approach, you'd naturally have quite a few fundamental misunderstanding of Christianity; there's a reason that so many people believe Christianity is uniquely special.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

You may be confused about an explanation because you've tried to group Christianity with all the other religions; with that approach, you'd naturally have quite a few fundamental misunderstanding of Christianity; there's a reason that so many people believe Christianity is uniquely special.

Yeah, it's called brainwashing.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14573  Edited By dshipp17

@dimitridkatsis said:

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yeah, it's called brainwashing.

Well, if you want to call the science instructions you receive from k-12-Ph.D brainwashing, yeah.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14574  Edited By Saint_Sophie

Too sum it up: I guess I'm one of those people who use to believe in God but then began "losing faith" (probably because I felt like the church was just saying to "Believe in God. Don't question it and if you're a good person, you won't end up in hell.) I believe that there may be some possibilities of an almighty external force that watching the entire universe, but that logically it just doesn't seem real, kind of like the concepts of superheroes, that having superpowers seems "out-worldly" yet our imaginations give us this fantasy world.

On the concept of the afterlife and all that stuff. I try not to explore to much on that and just live life. Maybe once I die I'll find out if this whole religion stuff really does exist.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: what's k-12-PhD got to do? Aren't people taught at schools how special christianity is?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: what's k-12-PhD got to do? Aren't people taught at schools how special christianity is?

Bible study is taught like chemistry class; there is no brainwashing taking place at Bible study and most mainstream churches. Unfortunately, people aren't taught about Christianity in school; people are taught Christianity in Sunday school.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: I don't know about that. Aren't Bible teachers particular about their belief and try to pass it on? Furthermore wouldn't a catholic oriented PHD for administration and leadership require extensive bible study? Is that what the K 12 PHD is about, and then how's it not biased?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14578  Edited By dshipp17

@dimitridkatsis said:

@dshipp17: I don't know about that. Aren't Bible teachers particular about their belief and try to pass it on? Furthermore wouldn't a catholic oriented PHD for administration and leadership require extensive bible study? Is that what the K 12 PHD is about, and then how's it not biased?

Oh, I think I know what your getting at; yes, someone can get a degree in seminary studies; sometimes, these people are called theologians; sometimes, they form a ministry and they can get their own shows on Christian channels like TBN (e.g. Joyce Mayer, although I'm not sure if she has a background in studying religion; maybe, John Hagee). But, this can be as objective as studying history, for example.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I guess no religion wants to be lumped with another one or the rest, otherwise, I guess they must feel like they lose their uniqueness, that they are the one true religion, and only their path must be followed. I guess that must be one of the big differences between spirituality and religion.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

But it's not... In anyway.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ok, so a few years ago, I asked my grandfather, "Papa, why can't we see God?" He answered, "If we see God, we will surely die." My thought processes were out of whack after that.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

Chance Agnosticism to who knows, and spot on.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could add Ignosticism and be like "What Is That"

LOL

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14585  Edited By those_eyes
No Caption Provided

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some really heated debates in here for your viewing. What are people's thoughts on the subject matter of this debate?

Loading Video...

Raffels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordraiden: I just finished all 58 minutes it was great!

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raffels said:

@lordraiden: I just finished all 58 minutes it was great!

If getting a life is watching or participating in anything but educational, then stick to your reality tv and what ever constitutes a life for you!

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

OH OF COURSE YOU PEOPLE JUST HAAD TO EXIST WHY ? HOW ? WHY COULDN'T I HAVE BEEN BORN IN THE 7TH CENTURY ????

http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Muslim_Furs

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14593  Edited By MakkyD

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I guess no religion wants to be lumped with another one or the rest, otherwise, I guess they must feel like they lose their uniqueness, that they are the one true religion, and only their path must be followed. I guess that must be one of the big differences between spirituality and religion.

That's mainly Western thought though.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that was already well known?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@lordraiden said:
@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I'm unaware of any mainstream Christian anywhere on the globe who wants Christianity just grouped with any of the other religion.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: @lordraiden: I agree, wasn't he asked about hell before and he said that his condition meant he was already there.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: Hmm? I was referring to the western ideal of Religion that mainly revolves around exclusivity and faith rather than philosophies and morals.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@maccyd said:

@lordraiden said:
@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@dshipp17 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I'm unaware of any mainstream Christian anywhere on the globe who wants Christianity just grouped with any of the other religion.

I talking about how everybody likes to ignore that Christianity is a middle eastern religion

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: They also ignore that it also could be boiled down to a sect of Judaism (Jesus was a Jew, built on the Jewish belief system and that roughly half of their holy book is pretty much the foundations of the Jewish faith) and was treated as such by other civilisations around its founding. I mean they share roughly half of their holy book with at least two other religions.