Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

According to pluggedin.com

Behavioral researchers say reality TV may alter our sense of emotional norms, making exaggerated reactions seem acceptable. Dr. Roderick Hart, a communication studies and government professor at the University of Texas-Austin, says, "People can be seduced into thinking [overreaction is] the most common way of reacting to life, when it's not. … Reality television has hyped all the emotions. You can't just be happy. You have to be ecstatic. You can't be upset. You have to be violently angry." Sarah Coyne, professor of family life at Brigham Young University, co-authored a recent study on media aggression and found that out of 120 hours of programming, an average of 52 acts of hostility (physical and verbal) are broadcast per hour on reality TV. Non-reality programming contained only 33 such incidents per hour. Coyne concludes, "[Programming is] producing this culture of being mean to each other," Coyne said. "We're setting up our culture to being overreactive." (The study was published in June's Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media.) 

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ironshadow

Reality TV is total BULL$H!T.

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mr. Smiths
@ironshadow said:
"Reality TV is total BULL$H!T. "
Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By Dracade102

So that's the reason why Skrulls invented it..

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

Well, I need to watch more Reality TV. Clearly.

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I hate reality shows like:  Big Brother, American Idol, Britains/America's  Got Talent, I'm a Celebrity Get me out of here!
 but I LOVE shows like: The Hills, The City and Laguna Beach!

Krakoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 215

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Krakoa

Reminds me of the last two episodes of Doctor Who with the ninth doctor, "Bad Wolf" and "The Parting of the Ways", where the human race is gradually exterminated through reality TV. 

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Wow somebody wasted time studying something that was common sense, they probably got a huge government grant to conduct this study. I wonder if they'll give me money for my own study, "The reaction of crazy comic book fanboys/girls to a drastic change on their favorite comic book character." Its so crazy a study it just might get some money thrown at it. I'll just say its ruining our children for generations or some crap.