#1 Posted by Earth616 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

This may sound kinda strange, but does anyone else ever feel..... inadequate after always reading super-hero comics??

I mean, I know they're not real and all, but when you wish you could be more like your 'role models', but you know you never can because you obviously don't have super powers? It sometimes kinda sucks, because you know you would have the guts to do it, and want nothing more than to help people, can't really seem to fit in with the general public or make true friends, but love people a lot anyways, and would give your life to save pretty much anyone. I would also give pretty much anything to go web-slinging right about now.....

Anyone else feel this way??? (Or am I just weird) ????? :S

#2 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

I can kill people,but I'll never get a healing factor and it sucks...

#3 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

You're just weird!

No, only kidding. I think a lot of people probably feel this way at some point in their life even if they won't admit it. It's a large part of why people read comics to begin with in my opinion; I know I do. I don't think reading comics has necessarily hampered my ability to communicate with people in the real world--that came from other things, but I know it's a stigma and stereotype that a lot of readers face. All in all, I think it would be awesome to have superpowers and such, but I realize that is just a fantasy. Even still, when I'm down I sometime find myself getting lost in it.

#4 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

There's one critical difference between the way I feel after reading a comic book, and the way most people feel.

MY NAME IS JALEN AND I AM A SUPER SAIYAN

#5 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

Completely understand how you feel -- it lessens once you realize you have more power than you think.

:)

#6 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

+1

#7 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

@Earth616 said:

This may sound kinda strange, but does anyone else ever feel..... inadequate after always reading super-hero comics??

I mean, I know they're not real and all, but when you wish you could be more like your 'role models', but you know you never can because you obviously don't have super powers? It sometimes kinda sucks, because you know you would have the guts to do it, and want nothing more than to help people, can't really seem to fit in with the general public or make true friends, but love people a lot anyways, and would give your life to save pretty much anyone. I would also give pretty much anything to go web-slinging right about now.....

Anyone else feel this way??? (Or am I just weird) ????? :S

Actually, the only inadequacies I feel are in my artistic talents, but then that gives away to wanting to draw.

#8 Edited by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

@Earth616: Should add that it's not the superpowers that make people heroes. It's their morals and what they do. You can be a hero in the smallest of ways. Peter Parker is just as much a hero as Spider-man.

#9 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

I know what you mean. It sucks when you can't be like your role-model.

As much as I would love to dress in a three-piece purple suit and walk around town performing mass-genocide with clown-themed weapons of mass-destruction..... oh wait. I can!

Be right back. I gotta go run some... errands.

Sincerely,

#10 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that feel, bro.

#11 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

More like not read enough. It gets to the point though you're sick of basically reading the same story re-titled a million times before you say "screw it" and want to write your own.

Or drop a title.

But the last one's too extreme for me.

#13 Posted by Nefarious (18363 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't feel this way.

#14 Posted by laflux (13745 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by Earth616 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks guys, I feel a bit better now :)

Also, here's a quote from Amazing Spiderman 477:

"We (the Avengers) live in each blow you (the common people) strike for infinite justice, but always in the hope of infinite wisdom. Because we live as well in the quiet turning of your considered conscience. (...) The voice that says 'you are a kind and merciful people'. The voice that says 'do not do as they do, or the war is lost before it is even begun'. Do not let that knowledge be washed away in blood. When you move, we will move with you. Where you go, we will go with you. Where you are, we are in you."

To me, this seems to be saying basically, "We (super heroes) are not real physically, but our spirits can be brought to life by people like us (US) preforming acts of justice".... We are superior to them, in that we actually exist, and therefore they rely on us to keep them alive, and to carry out their intentions......does that make any sense?????

#16 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Earth616: Actually...yes...

But I still want to fly around beating bad guys..

#17 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

@Earth616: You're welcome.

#18 Posted by akbogert (3180 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, I really identified with the eponymous hero of Kick-Ass, up until the point wherein he survived getting hit by a car.

Most of the non-powered heroes have other outrageously unrealistic things going for them, like beyond-real military training or access to preposterous quantities of money with seemingly no oversight on how they use that wealth. Interestingly, I tend to feel a little sad that the battles between good and evil aren't as obvious in real life as they are in comics, movies, and the like. Powered or not, coming down from a comic-reading spree can make real life seem painfully mediocre. Envy of abilities comes and goes, but the desire to have a life that seems super-important will probably always linger beneath the pages of any heroic fiction.

#19 Posted by Earth616 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic: Me too :P which seems like it would probably be the best part ;)

#20 Posted by Aiden Cross (15559 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course, but it gives you something to aspire to ;)

#21 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Completely understand how you feel -- it lessens once you realize you have more power than you think.

:)

Exactly this. I feel comics have made me a better person with a stronger understanding between right and wrong.