• 154 results
laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By laflux

Poll Rape and Relationships (Read OP) (84 votes)

I wouldn't date the victim 8%
I could date the victim but I would rather date someone different who still "ticked all my boxes", that wasn't raped/had a child because of rape. 23%
I wouldn't show any bias towards the rape victim and would have no problem dating them, whatever the circumstance 69%

Its obvious (both inside and outside Comicvine) that Rape is something which triggers very sympathetic and strong emotions in many people. Its widely considered it to be the most heinous of crimes and I can understand why people would think that.

So with that being said, how would you feel about dating someone who has been a victim of rape? I have heard of the phrase damaged goods been thrown around (particularly in regards to females), and honestly at first I didn't care much for the people who said it, as well as the phrase itself, but often being raped is something that leaves long lasting ramifications on the victim, which can make said relationships difficult. One wouldn't regard rape as being so serious if it didn't have the likelyhood of causing some untoward problems for the person involved in the short and long term, both emotionally and sexually- and these problems could cause strain in any further relationships.

And how would you feel if a child was thrown into the mix as well? From a personal experience, I know my elder half-sister's relationship with my father was strained because my Mum was slightly suspicious about my Dad sexually assaulting her- it was out of rape, my half-sister was born.....

The following scenario and poll below is a bit of an oversimplification, but in the purposes of seeing what most people think, I'll use it anyway.

1. You see what seems to be perfect woman/man of your dreams. You find them physically attractive and like their personality. Would you engage in a relationship with them, if you knew they were a rape victim?

2. You have two what seems to be perfect women/men of your dreams. You find them physically attractive and like their personalities. One has been raped. Would you pick the person who wasn't raped, or would you have no preference at all?

3. Same as above, except the rape victim has a child by rape?

Poll choices (also given below to vote).

1. I wouldn't date the victim.

2. I would date the victim but I would rather date someone different who still "ticked all my boxes", that wasn't raped/had a child because of rape.

3. I wouldn't show any bias towards the rape victim, whatever the circumstance.

Just want to know what you guys and gals think.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would be fine with it.

The kid one is off the table though. I'm not interested in a relationship with any one with kids, regardless of how the child came to be.

Damn, really? I'd be alright with sort of mentoring a kid who's Dad isn't around or something.. but with the rape thing attached I wouldn't do it.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#102  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@i_like_swords said:

@fallschirmjager said:

I would be fine with it.

The kid one is off the table though. I'm not interested in a relationship with any one with kids, regardless of how the child came to be.

Damn, really? I'd be alright with sort of mentoring a kid who's Dad isn't around or something.. but with the rape thing attached I wouldn't do it.

I hate children. I've seriously considering getting a vasectomy and I'm only 22.

The only reason I haven't is because I acknowledge I'm still young and I probably shouldn't, but unless I meet some chick who totally rocks my world I have zero interest in children (even then its a maybe at best), be them mine or someone elses.

I usually tell chicks up front within the first couple dates too, doesn't really get good reactions lol. Lots of "oh really? *awkward silence*". But the family conversation usually comes up and I'm not going to lie about something like that lol.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As a victim of rape and a daughter of a woman who was raped I can honestly say I'm pretty dateable :3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

@fallschirmjager said:

I would be fine with it.

I hate children. I've seriously considering getting a vasectomy and I'm only 22.

The only reason I haven't is because I acknowledge I'm still young and I probably shouldn't, but unless I meet some chick who totally rocks my world I have zero interest in children (even then its a maybe at best), be them mine or someone elses.

I usually tell chicks up front within the first couple dates too, doesn't really get good reactions lol. Lots of "oh really? *awkward silence*". But the family conversation usually comes up and I'm not going to lie about something like that lol.

Oh, really?

Lol. In all seriousness though I think it's just a lifestyle choice. My Dad's current girlfriend is very similar to you - never wanted kids, hates them. She cracks up if she hears a baby crying in a restaurant. Which I can sympathise with seeing as at my work I am surrounded by screaming kids 24/7. It doesn't sound like you'll change your mind, but it's good that you're not rushing into something like a vasectomy. Maybe you'll realize that having a family is for you some day, or maybe ya won't.

I do want a family but I'd prefer if it were just completely normal and healthy. And I'd think would agree - I mean, you don't want kids. Never mind throwing a kid into the mix who's existence came about because his Mom decided to wear a short skirt and get wasted when she was like 19. I would rather that I just had a planned kid, or at least a kid that was mine, or one I knew I was going to be looking after.

Although, I think your date strategy is pretty good. I have a feeling one day you'll make a girl spit her food out like "OMG! Me too! I hate the little rodents!"

Gojira2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As a victim of rape and a daughter of a woman who was raped I can honestly say I'm pretty dateable :3

Your avatar scares me though.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: I don't laugh if a baby is crying, but I immediately get a headache and wish someone would shut it up.

And yeah. My mom got pregnant with me when she was 16 and my little brother came when she was 19. I love my mom, she is fucking awesome but her life was a billion times harder cos she and my dad were dumbasses. (My dad still is btw).

Who needs kids when you have cats? They're quieter and fuzzier and their ears are more fun to nom on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: I just shut my eyes and count to five. LOL.

My mum didn't really have it easy either.. nobody in my family has. Lot's of divorcing and what not. But yeno, we've ended up alright. Now that I think about it though.. not having kids seems awesome. So much extra money and spare time. Freedom to do what you want...

Cats and dogs are better alternatives. I'm more of a dog guy though.

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecheesestabber said:

Your avatar scares me though.

Deal with it.
Deal with it.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thecheesestabber: @bruxae: O_o

Jeez, gals, I'm sorry for what you had to go through. I can't believe how many people here have actually been a victim of rape, it's sad.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Fallschirmjager
laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All your marriages on here would say otherwise >:)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

@fallschirmjager: Dogs do tricks doe.

Cats can do tricks. you clearly have not spent enough time on youtube watching cat videos

I've never been a huge fan of cat videos.

*jumps into bomb shelter*

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:
@thecheesestabber said:

JEALOUS!

Jeez, gals, I'm sorry for what you had to go through. I can't believe how many people here have actually been a victim of rape, it's sad.

A lot of Rape victims stay silent

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By laflux

@laflux said:
@thecheesestabber said:

JEALOUS!

Yea..... Jealous of Bruxae marrying Joygirl, hence why I married you >:)

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By laflux

@laflux said:
@thecheesestabber said:

JEALOUS!

Yea..... Jealous of Bruxae marrying Joygirl, hence why I married you >:)

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Cable_Extreme

@bruxae: that might be the case, but I can't in joy sex with rape being in the back of my mind. Especially if I knew it happened my partner.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@squares said:

This is so not the place to discuss this.

Why not?

Because people on this site are sooo able to discuss things in a mature manner.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@i_like_swords said:

@squares said:

This is so not the place to discuss this.

Why not?

Because people on this site are sooo able to discuss things in a mature manner.

I agree, they are. So.. what's the issue? In comparison to the users on some other sites, Comic Vine users can actually be pretty mature when it comes to stuff like rape.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Even in this thread?

"Never mind throwing a kid into the mix who's existence came about because his Mom decided to wear a short skirt and get wasted when she was like 19." Yeah, totally mature.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Yeah, because the posts in this thread so far have been, without exception, stunning examples of the maturity of CV.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

@i_like_swords said:

@squares: Even in this thread?

"Never mind throwing a kid into the mix who's existence came about because his Mom decided to wear a short skirt and get wasted when she was like 19." Yeah, totally mature.

What was immature about that? I proposed a common example of when a rape could take place. What was immature about the rest of my post?

@squares said:

@i_like_swords: Yeah, because the posts in this thread so far have been, without exception, stunning examples of the maturity of CV.

Well I don't know, I haven't analysed every post, but the vast majority of people seem like they want to pay the topic it's dues.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting raped is a horrible experience, never playing CoD again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JetiiMitra: The second one, sorry if I was unclear on that.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've dated a victim before. Of course, I didn't know she was a victim until some time into our relationship, but I didn't look at her or lover her any less as a person or my significant other.

I still love her and always will.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@laflux:

@JetiiMitra said:

The one thing about the OP that is neglected is how long ago the rape occurred and how the victim was dealing with it. Were they young or older? Did it not affect them? Are they bitter and resentful? Afraid of accidentally getting into the same situation as the incident? ...etc. I think these would affect quite a few people's answers, but to generalize (which upon re-reading seems to be the point of the OP anyway):

Yes.

Victim, depending on how she'd been dealing with it.

Victim, for the kid's sake as much as the mother's. Also depends on the kid's age, state, etc.

As for the poll, third option. May actually be partial to the victim.

Yeah, in this scenario did they get raped years ago? Or did they get raped this year? Or did it happen last week?

Anyway, let me put it this way for those people who think they might find it tough dating a rape victim: You already did. If you have dated 6 or more women in your life time, you have already most likely dated a victim of rape.

No Caption Provided

So, yeah.

And, if you have dated a lot of College Girls...

No Caption Provided

Now if she never tells you, then it's only going to be an issue for her in her head..If she does choose to share this info then yes it can have a large impact on your sex life.

I'll explain:

• Certain Role playing games are off the table.
  • Certain sex acts like BJ's may be off the table.
  • Certain sex positions may be off the table. Example: Her rapist(s) grabbed her from behind, so now she is no longer a fan of doggy style.
  • Certain Language used during sex may be off the table. Example: She was raped by her father, so the common phrase of "Who's your daddy?" not the best of ideas during sex.
  • Rough sex is most likely off the table.
  • Etc, Etc, Etc....I think you get my point now.

You're going to have to respect their boundaries & have an understanding of how they feel.

Perhaps some group therapy & couple therapy maybe required.

Point is, it's not gonna be easy, but if you really like or love that person, it's totally worth it.

Make it rain has a new meaning

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

I would.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Lunacyde  Moderator

Read the statistics....it's inevitable.

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde: I did before I saw she was one. But you know how people are, they don't think the stats will ever apply to them. :/

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've been with someone who was a victim of rape and it was a family member. I'm not a psychiatrist so please don't put too much weight or value into my words...I felt that it left a huge impact and directly affected how she behaved in our relationship. She had ridiculously low self esteem and self image. And she was attractive (in my eyes at least) and intelligent but just could not see it for herself. Sh-t was sad really.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Option 2

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say 2/3rds of the girls I've dated have been rape victims.

It's not malice or anything, it just happens. It really does not affect my outlook on them as a person.

They had certain issues in the bedroom, but it's all completely understandable.

Honestly, people need to judge less and listen more.

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscuro: You've dated a family member?

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Oscuro

@The_Deathstroker: HELL NO!!!!!. The person I dated was raped by a family member. Probably should have worded it better, but come on man (or woman) wtf.

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscuro: My mistake. My kids were involved with incest so I didn't think it was that far out there.

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Deathstroker: It's cool. I just was taken aback like wtf. I'm not remotely near that type of activity at all. But yes my ex was raped by a family member as a small child. I really feel it set her entire life back. I think she had/has a ton of unrealized potential because of what happened to her

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscuro: Alright. Just checking.

Which family member?

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscuro: Ah. I know that type all too well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I wouldn't even care.

Mainly because I know how it feels to be raped. Its pretty terrible even if I don't remember the finer details from it anymore. I remember enough about it to be haunted by it still. I was really young when it happend, like 5 to 6.

Also as a side note.. In retrospect my life is almost unbelievably terrible at times.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Lunacyde  Moderator

@rd189 said:

I'd say 2/3rds of the girls I've dated have been rape victims.

It's not malice or anything, it just happens. It really does not affect my outlook on them as a person.

They had certain issues in the bedroom, but it's all completely understandable.

Honestly, people need to judge less and listen more.

Wisdom.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would rather date someone who wasn't raped because it will become a problem communicating with someone who was raped and it will be hard to talk to her whenever she's sad or whenever she remembers the rape incident. and she'll be very uncomfortable towards people and would try to distance themselves away from everyone because she doesn't want history repeating itself. i could try comforting her but it probably won't work. But I would still date them though, but it would be difficult. Plus if the victim had a kid I probably won't date them at all, since i don't want to be a father.

Damn, this is a dark subject to talk about, I'm sorry to everyone in this thread who has been raped.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3