• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

i really don't see the why they can't show different, gods from different pantheons in comics, since this is a fiction based version of the character, i don't see the problem. I mean yeah somethings will be innacurate but since its fiction and is made up changing the character from the original is going to be expected.

#52 Posted by tec79 (158 posts) - - Show Bio

I would think Superman would offend such a devout Christan, he has been portrayed as a messianic figure which would make him a false idol. I would also like to point out that Spiderman had his life changed because of a deal with essentially the devil, Superman beat down an angel and Batman has sinned many times based on almost all Judeo-Christan and Islamic text. I would suggest reading only silver age stories that were written to the standards of the comic book code. On a personal level as a person of faith I would suggest the writer of the op read the new testament to have better understanding of how the heavenly father would like you to treat other people wether online or in their day to day life. Your opinions show a very real need to be better versed in both comic book mythology, scripture and how to get along in a Constitutionaly secular society that provides you with the freedom to practice your faith and insult people anonymously with your arrogant and incendiary opinions. I apologize to the rest of comic vine for ranting in this forum and I generally hold all opinions expressed in the forums as valid wether I agree or not.

#53 Posted by omegma (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@thefool: I did not ask for people's opinion's in mentioning views about religion in comics okay.I asked that do people agree with me that they should not have religion in comics because of being Alienated by another religion saying that it is better.I don't know why you take it personal because I am not offending christians nor any other religious person on this forum.Truth is that you have a small brain cause you think that I lost my belief,did not understand my religion and I am giving religious and pious people a bad name.If your friend is devoted as you say he is to believing Norse Gods then why is he reading a comic book that depicts his character in another way than his belief.Then it already proves that his devotion is a lie and he is hypocrite reading a comic that wrongly depicts his character.

#54 Posted by Wolfrazer (6112 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@wolfrazer said:

@or35ti said:

The reason gods like Thor, etc. make it in to comics is because they're accepted widely as myths. Comics are just a way of reviving myths and keeping them going. Comic book character are today's mythology in many ways, maybe just more commercial

But aren't all religions myth anyway?

usually not to the person practicing said religion

Well clearly but what I mean is, they all tell stories right? So....I mean I don't get the problem, I don't see people getting bent out of shape with Greek religion is brought up, or Indian or some other religion. Granted they aren't as big as the bigger ones now but they are still there.

well there ya go. most of these religions are relatively dead whereas Christianity is arguably the most practiced religion today. personally i don't care about it. if by some off chance , i find something that offends me as a christian, ill be an adult and stop reading it.

So its ok to discuss/debate(in regards to battles here) other religions, yet Christianity isn't ok because it isn't dead or as small compared to the others? I find that rather confusing.

#55 Edited by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

@omegma: Because he knows the difference between a character in a comic and a divine entity.

#56 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1391 posts) - - Show Bio

@omegma: Is see your point and respect it but I do =believe that the writers and artists can label whoever they want as "gods"

#57 Posted by Deadite (21301 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's "we"? I doubt most religious people that reads comics feels the same way as you do. But I don't want to hurt your feelings.

#58 Edited by cameron83 (6748 posts) - - Show Bio
@thefool said:

@omegma: See, this is what I absolutely hate. You start a thread on a public forum, then ask people who don't agree with you to ignore it and move on, all the while totally ignoring any other religious opinion other than your standard Judaeo-Christian beliefs. So...essentially...you're only open to the idea of respect for God under the Christian definition without any conscientious objectors. Are you surprised that people aren't receiving your point well?

First of all, a very close pal o' mine is a practicing pagan whose pantheon is comprised of the old Norse gods. He's certainly more devout than most people I've ever met, and he's got his own conflicted opinions on the portrayal of Thor, so certainly he can sympathize. However, he also understands that it's a money-making piece of fiction and does little to change his personal beliefs.

Similarly, I'm a Christian, but freaking love Preacher and Transmetropolitan and Hellblazer (depending on the writer). I can enjoy it, because I understand the difference between a creative team telling a story that touches on popular religious figures and my actual faith. See, my faith isn't so weak, so poorly understood , and so ready to fail that it will shatter at the first sign of a new idea. Sorry to see that's not a trait we share, apparently.

Comics are an escape from reality. It isn't discrimination to represent God or Thor or Jesus or Joseph Smith any way the creators/publishers want to. Because comics are fiction, and (at least according to my religious text of preference) God is real. If you can't delineate between fiction and reality, then...well, you have bigger problems than the internet can solve.

Stop giving religious people a bad name. Or at least stop pretending you understand yours.

YES

on a side-note,I can understand his frustration,but he needs to understand that these are comics and COMPLETELY seperate from our own beliefs.At most,it may just be one's opinion.On the other hand,I could see that every started attacking him and dismiss him by calling him a troll.So I can see why he was defensive.

#59 Posted by omegma (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: I asked whether they agree that they agree that no religion should be put in comics.

#60 Posted by Dernman (14786 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@wolfrazer said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@wolfrazer said:

@or35ti said:

The reason gods like Thor, etc. make it in to comics is because they're accepted widely as myths. Comics are just a way of reviving myths and keeping them going. Comic book character are today's mythology in many ways, maybe just more commercial

But aren't all religions myth anyway?

usually not to the person practicing said religion

Well clearly but what I mean is, they all tell stories right? So....I mean I don't get the problem, I don't see people getting bent out of shape with Greek religion is brought up, or Indian or some other religion. Granted they aren't as big as the bigger ones now but they are still there.

well there ya go. most of these religions are relatively dead whereas Christianity is arguably the most practiced religion today. personally i don't care about it. if by some off chance , i find something that offends me as a christian, ill be an adult and stop reading it.

So its ok to discuss/debate(in regards to battles here) other religions, yet Christianity isn't ok because it isn't dead or as small compared to the others? I find that rather confusing.

I believe he was comparing Christianity as an example of a practiced religion to dead religions. He use christianity because it's the one he;s familiar to. I do not believe he was not holding Christianity different to ones still alive today. If you can't see the difference between a dead one and a live one then I can't help you,

#61 Edited by Wolfrazer (6112 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Well no I notice the difference, it just doesn't seem entirely fair just because one religion is big and another is small or dead that you can't discuss it in a mature manner.

#62 Posted by _Zombie_ (10323 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#63 Posted by Dernman (14786 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer said:

@dernman: Well no I notice the difference, it just doesn't seem entirely fair just because one religion is big and another is small or dead that you can't discuss it in a mature manner.

But this hasn't been just about discussing it. This also about taking something that is real and sacred to some people and marginalizing it into fantasy then possibly showing it in a disrespectful manner. If the religion is dead and nobody is really following it who is going to get upset?

#64 Posted by pooty (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

NOT ONE PERSON HAS EVER FORMED THEIR OPINION OF GOD FROM A COMIC

#65 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12592 posts) - - Show Bio

im not saying its ok, just that less people are going to be pissed at you than if tried something with the big name religion.

#66 Edited by Dernman (14786 posts) - - Show Bio
#67 Posted by TotalBalance (724 posts) - - Show Bio

@omegma said:

@thefool: I did not ask for people's opinion's in mentioning views about religion in comics okay.I asked that do people agree with me that they should not have religion in comics because of being Alienated by another religion saying that it is better.I don't know why you take it personal because I am not offending christians nor any other religious person on this forum.Truth is that you have a small brain cause you think that I lost my belief,did not understand my religion and I am giving religious and pious people a bad name.If your friend is devoted as you say he is to believing Norse Gods then why is he reading a comic book that depicts his character in another way than his belief.Then it already proves that his devotion is a lie and he is hypocrite reading a comic that wrongly depicts his character.

If the only question you wanted answered was if people think no religious characters, or characters with religious connotations should be put in comics than you should have inferred by now that most people here don't agree with you. I as well have no problems with religious characters being put in comics.

#68 Posted by pooty (10842 posts) - - Show Bio
#69 Posted by Dernman (14786 posts) - - Show Bio
#70 Edited by pooty (10842 posts) - - Show Bio
#71 Posted by russellmania77 (14624 posts) - - Show Bio

is ur real name fredric wertham?

#72 Edited by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Hollow OP complaining about nothing. At least nothing I can distinguish that doesn't sound like someone feinting rage.

#73 Edited by Wolfrazer (6112 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@wolfrazer said:

But this hasn't been just about discussing it. This also about taking something that is real and sacred to some people and marginalizing it into fantasy then possibly showing it in a disrespectful manner. If the religion is dead and nobody is really following it who is going to get upset?

Hm...guess I see the point /shrug I suppose I just see it as "why can't we all just get along" sorta thing.

#74 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

#77 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

lots and lots of writers are religious so I dont get your initial point

also

if your beliefs are shaken by a few simple comic books then you are not as a strong believer as you'd like to think and thus you should either go learn something more about your beliefs, reform them or shield yourself from outer influences.

one of the first traits of a good christian should be complete faith and belief in God and this just shows you mustn't have it if you fear a few pages with visual fiction on them

#78 Edited by RDClip (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

You know one of the greatest things about living in countries like America, Canada, the UK, Japan and a bunch of other countries? You are freely able to write stories that may offend some people as long as they do not incite hate. Freedom of creativity is much more important than the thin-skinned sensitivites of a few people. Please don't try to use religion to censor people's rights; it is a slippery slope that leads to a society that I personally would hate to live in.

#79 Posted by omegma (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy: I did not lose my faith and what it means that is I got angry about what God is considered as in that comic.I said there should be no religion in the comics and do you agree with me ?

#80 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

You know if you're going to be a religious troll you should have chosen to be a Muslim troll, Christian trolls are so played out and cliché.

#81 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@omegma said:

@jorgevy: I did not lose my faith and what it means that is I got angry about what God is considered as in that comic.I said there should be no religion in the comics and do you agree with me ?

I do not. Art should be a mirror on reality, all of it; be it religious, polticial, social, individual, geographical, etc...

#82 Posted by pooty (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

@omegma said:

God is portrayed better in comics then he is in the Bible. In the Bible God has killed children, endorsed rape and slavery. In comics The TOAA and Presense seem like pretty nice people

#83 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@omegma said:
@isaac_clarke said:

Hollow OP complaining about nothing. At least nothing I can distinguish that doesn't sound like someone feinting rage.

Hollow huh that is funny coming from a man whose mother is a whore and has you as a son who kicks puppies for a living what else oh and you got daddy issues with your alcoholic father who beats you up like a punching bag.

This if anything should prompt a thread lock.

#84 Edited by i_like_swords (13297 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote, we do not give this guy any more attention, due to him throwing insults around, failing to see reason, and just in general being ignorant to any view other than his own.

I'm tired of people letting their chosen religion cause conflict. Worst part is that they act like the victim when really they're the ones who started it in the first place. It goes on all over the world and far too often. Having said that, I'm talking about the portion of people that fall into that category, not every single religious person. There are plenty of great people who happen to be religious. Unfortunately, this guy isn't one of them.

Moral of the story, if you're going to post on a public forum, don't be a jackass.

#85 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman > All other gods before him.

#86 Posted by SC (12731 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh this is the guy that asked why Superman wasn't an Avenger, posted a picture of Dr Ock and Spider-man kissing and made a short essay about how various female Spider-man characters get their slang word for the female genital area rhymes with uh uh banged - Oh and then bragged about how he was going to bang Valkyrie - you the know the fictional character. Oh and he lives in a country where there are no laws against beating up children and his friend almost got raped by a bigger guy. You guys shouldn't be so mean to him, he needs your support, attention and time and possibly financial aid too - just set up a paypal and arrange how to send him some cash. Maybe we can all work together and create a kickstarter project you know? Maybe get rid of all gods from all stories maybe? Maybe pay to have Grant Morrison visit his country and do some kickass poetry? And if you really try, You'll find there's no need to cry, this place you'll feel, There's no hurt or sorrow. There are ways to get there, If you care enough for the living, Make a little space, make a better place...

#88 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17622 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Eh this is the guy that asked why Superman wasn't an Avenger, posted a picture of Dr Ock and Spider-man kissing and made a short essay about how various female Spider-man characters get their slang word for the female genital area rhymes with uh uh banged - Oh and then bragged about how he was going to bang Valkyrie - you the know the fictional character. Oh and he lives in a country where there are no laws against beating up children and his friend almost got raped by a bigger guy. You guys shouldn't be so mean to him, he needs your support, attention and time and possibly financial aid too - just set up a paypal and arrange how to send him some cash. Maybe we can all work together and create a kickstarter project you know? Maybe get rid of all gods from all stories maybe? Maybe pay to have Grant Morrison visit his country and do some kickass poetry? And if you really try, You'll find there's no need to cry, this place you'll feel, There's no hurt or sorrow. There are ways to get there, If you care enough for the living, Make a little space, make a better place...

Ha ha wow really? He posted threads like that.

I am not sure what parts of your post are serious and which parts you are just taking the piss. Or even if you are taking the piss at all.

Regarding the thread and reading through it I don't really need to give a serious answer as to why the OP is wrong and yeah could possibly be trolling.

#89 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5199 posts) - - Show Bio
#90 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic books and mythology are both how people tell stories, so why not blend them all together?

#91 Edited by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio

@omegma said:
@isaac_clarke said:

Hollow huh that is funny coming from a man whose mother is a whore and has you as a son who kicks puppies for a living what else oh and you got daddy issues with your alcoholic father who beats you up like a punching bag.

I'm sure that's exactly how Jesus would reply.

But seriously, warning for insults. This is obviously a bait thread. Don't make more.