Rant: Comics are too sacreligious and about God's

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By omegma

Why is that so huh?Why do they make God's like Zeus,Galactus,Beyonder,Thanos,Odin,Loki and all other gods that I do not even want to mention about into comic book characters.The views of Hell and Heaven.God and Satan are so wrong.Ok I can understand that most people do not believe in God and everything but is this the way to prove it by feeding these wrong messages about who is God and what not in comics is just like or should I say is brainwashing of a child views on God and everything.Why put religion views in the first place.If you do not like religions and you are not a believer then fine.Why put this in comics and put it in a questioning manner such as this?We are comic book viewers and we prefer to have no such things such as this in a comic book ? we prefer our mortal Spider-Man,Batman,Man of Steel such as Superman.Make it enjoying and do not make it to discriminate any religion.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

Galactus, Beyonder, and Thanos are "gods?"

I don't mind Thor, Hercules, Zeus and so forth being in comics.

Most writers put their ideas and political views in comics and other writings.

That's the way it is.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you're saying that having Gods like Thor and Zeus in comics is an insult to your Christianity? Nobody is telling you to believe in the comics. If you really get offended by them for some strange reason, just don't read them, don't try and tell us we can't have our Thor. You SHOULD read Thor, though, not because you should take it as an educational book, but because it's really really good. Nobody, not even Jason Aaron, are trying to tell you what's happening in Thor: God of Thunder is actually real.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@omegma: I'm not sure what your mad about

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By GunGunW

DC and Marvel have a God equivalent to the Judeo-Christian God that reigns supreme

Avatar image for noteworthington
Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good troll 7/10

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee:

I was not saying that we should not have Thor dude.You are a Fan that is Okay.What I meant was I read some issues of Spawn and it had some weird stuff and views about God and Satan.That they are the Same and stuff and they like to collect souls.What it means is that Spawn was questioning God's work as if he was some monster and they should not put religions in any comic so that the viewer is not insulted by what he believes in.

@betatesthighlander1:
What I wrote above to the Viewer.

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegma:

what about Visnu or Shiva?

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By omegma

@cezar_thescribe: What I am saying is that the main thing is that they should never put religions in comics to prevent a person's religious discrimination.

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By omegma
KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just stop.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#16  Edited By Extremis

@omegma: actually most people DO believe in God, sad as that is...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

*sigh*

Sideslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sideslash

If you don't wanna btch about comics, don't read em, simple as.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By dernman

I would be more worried about them bringing Angela into comics as a representative of what's part of heaven then them having characters like Zeus. I also suggest you don't read DC's Vertigo.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just wondering why some people get so bent out of shape over religion. I mean ya its a big thing in the world, but last I checked there are other big religions out there and also other big ones before they dwindled down. So...and besides, in the end aren't religions just telling stories anyway? I mean ya its ok to believe in the stuff, but I don't think its anything to get bent outta shape over just because something or someone conflicts with the viewpoints of what said other person is viewing.

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@omegma: Put it this way, In Real Life religion holds supreme authority for some

that does not hold true in fiction

I can literally create a character that would stomp all of biblical/koranic/torah text figures

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@dabee: so well said. Couldn't have said it better myself.

And what a good parallel you made about how them asking to remove Gods from comics would be like us asking to remove God from religious texts. Idk if that was inadvertent or not that i made that connection, but it was damn genius. Comparing one fictional God to another. Kudos!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dernman
omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betatesthighlander1: Sure you can have Thor but please do not make him into a full Ledged God like some gods that I know.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Please go away. Don't make this a thing. Nobody cares.

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By omegma

@dernman: I do not read DC'S Vertigo.

@betatesthighlander1:Cause that would spoil all the fun of him being half mortal and all that would mean it would be boring to see him destroying everyone in a single strike without using any effort.Do you want it to get boring ?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#31  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

because Religion/Mythology is interesting and rife with opportunities for cool characters and stories. A Lot of people like reading about characters involved with it and writers seem to like writing about it. anyway comics are fiction and are not brainwashing anyone most of the books that heavily delve into religion are things that you probably shouldn't or wouldn't allow a child to read anyway.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegma: when was Thor ever half mortal?

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By omegma

@joygirl: You do not care then fine ignore it ? Why are you not ignoring it and still commenting about it cause it defies your logic.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@omegma said:

@dernman: I do not read DC'S Vertigo.

@betatesthighlander1:Cause that would spoil all the fun of him being half mortal and all that would mean it would be boring to see him destroying everyone in a single strike without using any effort.Do you want it to get boring ?

Thor isnt half mortal. he's half elder god/half Asgardian

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By Or35ti

The reason gods like Thor, etc. make it in to comics is because they're accepted widely as myths. Comics are just a way of reviving myths and keeping them going. Comic book character are today's mythology in many ways, maybe just more commercial

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

@omegma: oh wow. i really don't like you or your opinions, you believer in god. i'm just going to wait for the 'as a christian' line.

There's a lot of religious people on this site

you shouldn't try to offend them

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegma: oh yeah, their wierd about that

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegma said:

@flazam: Tis jerk is annoying nuisance why is he even writing if he is not liking anything about religous views and all that.

He was being offensive but don't stoop to his level.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

SUCCESSFUL TROLL IS SUCCESSFUL.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Wolfrazer

@or35ti said:

The reason gods like Thor, etc. make it in to comics is because they're accepted widely as myths. Comics are just a way of reviving myths and keeping them going. Comic book character are today's mythology in many ways, maybe just more commercial

But aren't all religions myth anyway? I mean definition myths are just stories, and don't all religions tell stories? So...unless I am completely missing some big point here, it should all be ok.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@or35ti said:

But aren't all religions myth anyway?

usually not to the person practicing said religion

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wolfrazer

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@wolfrazer said:

@or35ti said:

Well clearly but what I mean is, they all tell stories right? So....I mean I don't get the problem, I don't see people getting bent out of shape with Greek religion is brought up, or Indian or some other religion. Granted they aren't as big as the bigger ones now but they are still there.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegma said:

@thetimestreamer: why ? Is it because I am a what a believer in God and what he does is for the better ? This topic had never had nothing to do with liking me OK.I do not want hear your pathetic lame two bit comment.I am what I am and there is nothing you could make me change my views.I don't know what your personal problem is but if you have a problem with what I write on this forum so ignore it and stop whining like a little kid.

Take your own advice, is what would be my advice. If you don't like what Spawn has to say about God/Satan, then you can just ignore it or not read it. You're missing out, though, it's really good stuff. Todd McFarlane, I'm sure, never intended for Spawn to be taken as a historical account, however.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@wolfrazer said:

@or35ti said:

Well clearly but what I mean is, they all tell stories right? So....I mean I don't get the problem, I don't see people getting bent out of shape with Greek religion is brought up, or Indian or some other religion. Granted they aren't as big as the bigger ones now but they are still there.

well there ya go. most of these religions are relatively dead whereas Christianity is arguably the most practiced religion today. personally i don't care about it. if by some off chance , i find something that offends me as a christian, ill be an adult and stop reading it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@wolfrazer said:

@or35ti said:

I see there is a difference between a religions that have been generally abandoned then the ones people follow to this day.

TheFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@omegma: See, this is what I absolutely hate. You start a thread on a public forum, then ask people who don't agree with you to ignore it and move on, all the while totally ignoring any other religious opinion other than your standard Judaeo-Christian beliefs. So...essentially...you're only open to the idea of respect for God under the Christian definition without any conscientious objectors. Are you surprised that people aren't receiving your point well?

First of all, a very close pal o' mine is a practicing pagan whose pantheon is comprised of the old Norse gods. He's certainly more devout than most people I've ever met, and he's got his own conflicted opinions on the portrayal of Thor, so certainly he can sympathize. However, he also understands that it's a money-making piece of fiction and does little to change his personal beliefs.

Similarly, I'm a Christian, but freaking love Preacher and Transmetropolitan and Hellblazer (depending on the writer). I can enjoy it, because I understand the difference between a creative team telling a story that touches on popular religious figures and my actual faith. See, my faith isn't so weak, so poorly understood , and so ready to fail that it will shatter at the first sign of a new idea. Sorry to see that's not a trait we share, apparently.

Comics are an escape from reality. It isn't discrimination to represent God or Thor or Jesus or Joseph Smith any way the creators/publishers want to. Because comics are fiction, and (at least according to my religious text of preference) God is real. If you can't delineate between fiction and reality, then...well, you have bigger problems than the internet can solve.

Stop giving religious people a bad name. Or at least stop pretending you understand yours.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefool said:

@omegma: See, this is what I absolutely hate. You start a thread on a public forum, then ask people who don't agree with you to ignore it and move on, all the while totally ignoring any other religious opinion other than your standard Judaeo-Christian beliefs. So...essentially...you're only open to the idea of respect for God under the Christian definition without any conscientious objectors. Are you surprised that people aren't receiving your point well?

First of all, a very close pal o' mine is a practicing pagan whose pantheon is comprised of the old Norse gods. He's certainly more devout than most people I've ever met, and he's got his own conflicted opinions on the portrayal of Thor, so certainly he can sympathize. However, he also understands that it's a money-making piece of fiction and does little to change his personal beliefs.

Similarly, I'm a Christian, but freaking love Preacher and Transmetropolitan and Hellblazer (depending on the writer). I can enjoy it, because I understand the difference between a creative team telling a story that touches on popular religious figures and my actual faith. See, my faith isn't so weak, so poorly understood , and so ready to fail that it will shatter at the first sign of a new idea. Sorry to see that's not a trait we share, apparently.

Comics are an escape from reality. It isn't discrimination to represent God or Thor or Jesus or Joseph Smith any way the creators/publishers want to. Because comics are fiction, and (at least according to my religious text of preference) God is real. If you can't delineate between fiction and reality, then...well, you have bigger problems than the internet can solve.

Stop giving religious people a bad name. Or at least stop pretending you understand yours.

PREACH BROTHER!!!!!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dernman

@thefool: Literally the first post to him was I don't like you or your opinions. Then the others were dismissive or calling him a troll. You don't think that would make a person defensive?